TheGunnShow

Tomkinson on loan to Stevenage

Well, it sorta worked for Saxon Earley before we flogged him to Plymouth. Good move though, he needs first team action and Stevenage are doing quite well at the moment so he'll have a task to push into the team and also to stay there on top.

Obvious question, especially considering the training session we saw.... does this mean Lungi's being converted to a centre-half? Or is Brad Hills getting readied?

Tomkinson joins Stevenage on loan - Norwich City (canaries.co.uk)

Edited by TheGunnShow

Given that Gibson, Sorenson and Omo have all spent lengthy spells injured in the past two years (and Hanley did further back) I'd be surprised if there isn't an incoming. We've been down this road before 

• Like 1

Adding 2+2 and coming to 73, wasn’t there a prospective Liverpool loanee cb in that recent pinkun article - Nat Phillips, I think it was.  It does seem odd to send Tomkinson out while Gibson is injured (if due back - we know how that can go wrong), if noone is coming in.

Great move for Jonathon, I assume there is an incoming player.  Webber makes me chuckle, he says we do not do any business in the January window, yet we have Jonathon and possibly Todd on their way out.

1 hour ago, Mason 47 said:

Given that Gibson, Sorenson and Omo have all spent lengthy spells injured in the past two years (and Hanley did further back) I'd be surprised if there isn't an incoming. We've been down this road before 

Our defensive midfielder problem suggests otherwise.

• Like 2

Makes no sense loaning him out unless there is an incoming as we're a bit light there with Byram now out for longer too. Great move for the young lad though, wish him well

This has to be right, he's raw. To state that it leaves City weaker at the back is exaggerating it a bit. He has only made one appearance for City and that was in a fairly meaningless cup game.

We were already weak at the centre back with Omo and Gibson recently injured and question marks being placed against Hanley.

This indicates that a lot might be put on Sorensen's shoulders, which could be a good or bad thing and that a decent loan is lined up   ... may be the Liverpool connection as suggested.

For now, I'm tempted to blame Dean Smith for this mess (lack of fitness, low in confidence, no style of play, slipping down the league, Smithball etc.) but maybe I should look higher up.

2 hours ago, Mason 47 said:

Wasn't there a suggestion that we'd made one of the young Brazilian players, who's a defender, a permanent signing? 

That said, Tomkinson has actually been in the matchday squad a number of times over the last season and needs to go and get game time. If he's to be a genuine contender next season he needs experience, whether that's in this league or the one above.

Byram can also play centreback... when fit. I actually think this could be his best position for us now going forwards. If only because there isn't so much running up and down the length of the pitch to push any strain on those healed injuries. Again, out of contract in the summer though.

7 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

This has to be right, he's raw. To state that it leaves City weaker at the back is exaggerating it a bit. He has only made one appearance for City and that was in a fairly meaningless cup game.

Also played a full championship game against Burnley in which he performed very well.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, horsefly said:

Also played a full championship game against Burnley in which he performed very well.

Fair enough, I used Wiki for reference.

Just re-checked I league game, 3 cup games.

We must have a replacement lined up.

Edited by BroadstairsR

We know no new additions are likely forthcoming. This is all about getting a young player with potential first team football. 

Andy O, Ben G, Grant H and Jacob S (and Sam B if he ever gets back to fitness) is sufficient. 

If there is going to be something forthcoming, we need wide players far more than a CB. 

Makes sense to develop him and it also gives Wagner/Webber the opportunity to assess him before next season in a matchday environment. 

I am very worried where that leaves us with injuries though. It's all very well saying Sorensen but with Hayden out I would have thought he needs to cover the inevitable midfield injuries. Double training sessions a day, high press, high tempo, there will be injuries.

9 hours ago, chicken said:

Wasn't there a suggestion that we'd made one of the young Brazilian players, who's a defender, a permanent signing? 

That said, Tomkinson has actually been in the matchday squad a number of times over the last season and needs to go and get game time. If he's to be a genuine contender next season he needs experience, whether that's in this league or the one above.

Byram can also play centreback... when fit. I actually think this could be his best position for us now going forwards. If only because there isn't so much running up and down the length of the pitch to push any strain on those healed injuries. Again, out of contract in the summer though.

I thought the young defender was staying in Brazil because he could not get a work permit yet?  I really hope there a CB incoming, there is a lot of the season to go on 3 CB’s, especially Omobalidele, as he does struggle with his back.

I doubt DW has had a chance to look at him properly so this must have been in the pipeline for a while. No new coach would send players out. Is Neil Adams still the loan arranger?🤠

30 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

I doubt DW has had a chance to look at him properly so this must have been in the pipeline for a while. No new coach would send players out. Is Neil Adams still the loan arranger?🤠

Andy Hughes is the Loan manager as well as first team coach

We'll go with what we've got, a new CB we shall see, but not a great record in getting defensive recruits.

Looking forward to seeing Tommo down at the Lamex, whilst giving City a bit of a rest to allow them to improve.  Not expecting a marked improvement in results.  Back to the Boro great resuly against Villa last 15 minutes started to press.  Saxon Earley looked a promising player at Boro first half of season, was hoping might have City career, looked at least as good as Gio and Sam Mc.