Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Are you happy Webbers best friend will be our manager?

Hopefully the fact they've had a successful working relationship in the past should be a good thing as he needs to hit the ground running if we're going to get anything out of this season. 

I'm not sure on the timings. Did it start to go wrong for Wagner at Huddersfield when Webber left?

• Like 1

I'm happy Smith has gone. Ecstatic even.

If Wagner is the new guy and he has a 12-month contract, I'm happy with that, too. It's not a commitment that will drag us down if he can't reproduce what he did at Huddersfield, and it gives the club some flexibility over twelve months when we are quite likely to see major changes off the pitch, including hopefully a change of ownership.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, The Raptor said:

Hopefully the fact they've had a successful working relationship in the past should be a good thing as he needs to hit the ground running if we're going to get anything out of this season. 

I'm not sure on the timings. Did it start to go wrong for Wagner at Huddersfield when Webber left?

Wagner was behind with the rent and needed a job.

18 minutes ago, The Raptor said:

Uhh, no. Webber joined us just before Huddersfield got promoted (they did get promoted!). I assume they still had Webber's transfer targets for the Summer, and then stayed up in the Prem for a season under Wagner.

5 hours ago, Mason 47 said:

I read somewhere, possibly MB on the Athletic, that Wagner has 'leant on' Webber with regards to signings + advice since leaving Huddersfield. So there may have been a little animosity at the time but I'd suggest it sounds like the relationship is very much intact 

Edit- doesn't appear to be the Athletic, but I definitely read it somewhere I felt was credible enough

He asked Webber for recruitment advice?! No wonder his tenures at Schalke and Young Boys were pretty poor.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Rubbish.

😂😂 you really have to get over Smith, he was utterly useless glad he’s gone before doing any further damage…..

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Apointing a Webber yes man as manager does seem like a bit of an odd move after all.

Very much feels like Webber digging in and going to his happy and safe zone.

Perhaps when staring out of your parents back bedroom window it might. But then much else will appear strange....people, cars, buses .... in fact, life in general I should imagine.

7 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Apointing a Webber yes man as manager does seem like a bit of an odd move after all.

I don't read it this way at all, and I'm someone who's called for Webber to go on several occasions.

If it is Wagner, I think it's quite brave on Webber's part because he must have realised that many fans will say exactly what you have said - it's cronyism and/or the safe option. It's also as close to admitting as I imagine Webber could ever get that sacking Farke was a mistake and that Smith was a disastrous appointment.

I'm still very worried about the club with Webber at the helm because he is so divisive and petty at times, but I think Wagner on a rolling twelve-month contract is an astute move. I hope it means Webber's going to stop picking fights and get his mojo back before it's too late.

Edited by canarybubbles
  • Like 4

Ok. Not exited, but more positive then when we signed Smith.

My problem is that Webber is here. Ore more precise 90% here.

I’m actually feeling really positive about this for a few reasons,

Wagner plays nice football and builds rapport well. He got Huddersfield playing outstanding football when at Champs level with a pretty average squad 

He is able to work with Webber 

He is stepping down from top tier leagues, he has a point to prove his doubters and I feel he will be hungry to impress

He is on a 12 month rolling contract so if it doesn’t work out we are not tied to having him as long as the last guy and there’ll be no big payout

But probably best of all. He’s not Dean ****ing Smith

• Like 9

11 minutes ago, SwearyCanary said:

Wagner plays nice football and builds rapport well. He got Huddersfield playing outstanding football when at Champs level with a pretty average squad 

He is stepping down from top tier leagues, he has a point to prove his doubters and I feel he will be hungry to impress

He is on a 12 month rolling contract so if it doesn’t work out we are not tied to having him as long as the last guy and there’ll be no big payout

Not as anti Smith as yourself but agree with the rest!

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, SwearyCanary said:

Hook, line and sinker.

6 hours ago, norfolkngood said:

Does Not excite me but Hog has put his point across well 

he has done well at huddersfield 

i think it is just that unknown of what it has done since 

i think for me it is the Mystery of a new manager who will he sign , how does he play , what gems does he know about in different leagues 

i dont get that with Wenger BUT that does not mean he is the wrong appointment because Experience of this league is a massive plus 

Wow! I didn’t realise that Arsene was even in for an interview. I agree his experience will be vital😁.

1 hour ago, Indy said:

😂😂 you really have to get over Smith, he was utterly useless glad he’s gone before doing any further damage…..

It's not about Smith. It's about the excessively negative attitude of people like you against him. You deride Smith for getting Villa promotion and survival on a big budget in favour of championing a guy who got us miserably demoted once and set us up for a second miserable demotion a second time before he left.

And Wagner isn't even appointed yet, but the negative rubbish is already circulating on here to undermine confidence in him.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

18 minutes ago, Justin time said:

Wow! I didn’t realise that Arsene was even in for an interview. I agree his experience will be vital😁.

i think i will do that a lot ! Wanger Wagner Wenger as long as it is not Wa#nker after a few games we will all be happy 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, norfolkngood said:

i think i will do that a lot ! Wanger Wagner Wenger as long as it is not Wa#nker after a few games we will all be happy 

I’ve already called him Wagbo.😁

I don't care if we employ Webber's 'special' brother who they secretly keep in the attic as long as he gets us playing to our potential.

Glass half-full title. I tangentially joust to make my next points. 

Let’s call him Jurgen Klopp’s best man, and not Webber’s mate. It sounds a lot trendier in the realm of football. 

On the plus side, we get genuine geigenpressing coaching at NCFC. A coach from THE lineage that pioneered  counter-pressing. The same coaching family tree as Rangnick, Klopp, Hasenhuttl, and Nagelsmann. 

Wagner stated in the past (on his tactical philosophy) that he likes speed, aggression, players being at pique fitness. 

OK, we don’t have many of those types of players, not yet. 

It’s not going to be boring. 

Edited by Mr. Raumdeuter III

13 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Wagner hasn't had a successful career of late so lets hope he can somehow inspire the players and get us back up the table, if we carry on the slide Webber surely will have nowhere to hide even amongst the die hards

11 hours ago, canarybubbles said:

I don't read it this way at all, and I'm someone who's called for Webber to go on several occasions.

If it is Wagner, I think it's quite brave on Webber's part because he must have realised that many fans will say exactly what you have said - it's cronyism and/or the safe option. It's also as close to admitting as I imagine Webber could ever get that sacking Farke was a mistake and that Smith was a disastrous appointment.

I'm still very worried about the club with Webber at the helm because he is so divisive and petty at times, but I think Wagner on a rolling twelve-month contract is an astute move. I hope it means Webber's going to stop picking fights and get his mojo back before it's too late.

Cronyism is giving jobs favouring personal friends; the successful professional relationship at Huddersfield and the obvious imperative for Webber to make the replacement of Smith a success  rules out any suggestion that this decision is personal rather than professional.

As to admitting sacking Farke was a mistake, there's an argument that Farke is a poor man's imitation of Wagner and that this therefore represents an upgrade on Farke given that Wagner, like Smith, also has Premier League survival on his CV, which Farke doesn't.

Some fans say Webber's petty; one wonders if these are the same fans who get upset over managers drinking tea and putting their hands in their pockets.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

It would be naive to assume that Webber does not realise the criticism he will receive for appointing an old friend and colleague to the position of Head Coach and the accusation of cronyism that will be aimed at him. But he just does not care. After the extensive “search” and rigorous selection process the “best” candidate for the job is an out of work old chum who failed spectacularly in his last two positions.  The lack of corporate governance in the Club leads to this laughable situation where Webber is allowed to treat the Club with such contempt and arrogance. Of course we all wish Wagner success and if we gain promotion this season then all criticism will be forgotten and Webber will be hailed as a genius. However, as it seems increasingly likely that Norwich will not be able to achieve that goal, then Webber will have no place to hide from the criticism and accusations. It is a gamble. We all wish him well.

It’s a hell of a gamble if only because Wagner - like the players- is not on the up but on the slide more recently. His morale like theirs could slump quickly if they don’t get off to a winning start