Sign in to follow this  
Petriix

The rot runs deep

You'll have to forgive my naivety for thinking Dean Smith was responsible for the unfathomable perseverance with the flawed 4-3-3 and playing Sargent on the wing. I had optimistically hoped for a return to the balanced and pragmatic 4-2-3-1. I was wrong. 

It leaves me begging the question: is it Webber picking the team? Was it him all along? How can we still be trying the same thing and expecting a different outcome?

I always suspected that the 4-3-3 wasn't Farke's choice but I had assumed that Dean Smith was the main driver behind the continued madness. Now I'm not so sure.

People are blaming the players for not being good enough. To me it's obvious that they aren't suited to the system they're being asked to play. Most of the Championship winning squad from 19/20 are still here.

There's some seriously wonky thinking going on behind the scenes. Pukki is the closest thing to a 'weapon' left at the club. We absolutely need to be playing to his strengths. There are a lot of other players who played better under our previous system too.

I can't understand how we look basically the same with or without Smith. Unless Smith was only carrying out Webber's plan. Surely that cannot be the case? 

• Like 5

I think the trouble is, we have no stability. Players coming in one season and gone the next. And the South Americans, we are told, need time to settle in.

The only constant is playing our leading scorer on the left wing.

• Like 1

Wholly unqualified husband and wife, sorry I mean wife and husband (the younger, not the older couple) running the club - doesn’t matter if it is 4-4-2, 4-3-3 or 5-3-2. It will remain broken under the current status quo.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Petriix said:

You'll have to forgive my naivety for thinking Dean Smith was responsible for the unfathomable perseverance with the flawed 4-3-3 and playing Sargent on the wing. I had optimistically hoped for a return to the balanced and pragmatic 4-2-3-1. I was wrong. 

It leaves me begging the question: is it Webber picking the team? Was it him all along? How can we still be trying the same thing and expecting a different outcome?

I always suspected that the 4-3-3 wasn't Farke's choice but I had assumed that Dean Smith was the main driver behind the continued madness. Now I'm not so sure.

People are blaming the players for not being good enough. To me it's obvious that they aren't suited to the system they're being asked to play. Most of the Championship winning squad from 19/20 are still here.

There's some seriously wonky thinking going on behind the scenes. Pukki is the closest thing to a 'weapon' left at the club. We absolutely need to be playing to his strengths. There are a lot of other players who played better under our previous system too.

I can't understand how we look basically the same with or without Smith. Unless Smith was only carrying out Webber's plan. Surely that cannot be the case? 

Personally, I think we have a decent, but inexperienced squad that needs a lot of work.

Smith could have done it is people had just kept their opinions to themselves and actually supported and tried to generate a bit of enthusiasm.

Should never have forced Smith out. Let's hope we can persuade a decent manager to come.

• Haha 5

2 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Personally, I think we have a decent, but inexperienced squad that needs a lot of work.

Smith could have done it is people had just kept their opinions to themselves and actually supported and tried to generate a bit of enthusiasm.

Should never have forced Smith out. Let's hope we can persuade a decent manager to come.

🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Nora's Ghost said:

The stands are full of rot too. Quite a few of them post on here regularly.

Most that post on here don’t go to games

• Like 1

Playing 3 centre forwards won't work. 

We need the double pivot back. 

And someone that can create something. I wish Todd was back on the field, at least he would try something a bit different. 

• Like 3

If we are insistent on playing a certain formation, it would make sense to get players who suit that formation. If we want to play 4-3-3, it seems sensible to play Sargent upfront and get two fast wingers to get to the touchline and throw in high crosses.

I am not advocating this, since almost no one plays this style any more, and I personally don't want the team I support to play it; I am just pointing out that playing this system with a centre forward who is totally unsuited to it, in terms of either physique or natural talent, farming out all our wingers, and playing players who are strikers out on the wing seems counter-productive.

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, city4eva said:

Nora is one of them. He's disappointed about his teams draw vs Lincoln.

Atmosphere 100x better but on the pitch? We had more of an idea what we were doing under Smith, in all honesty.

Football swings quickly though. New head coach comes in and gets 3 wins in a row and things suddenly change.

4 minutes ago, city4eva said:

It has always been thus but the old timer clappers don't have that excuse to cling to.

12 minutes ago, Nora's Ghost said:

The stands are full of rot too. Quite a few of them post on here regularly.

I bet they know what the Nest is though. Binner 

14 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I'd argue that it doesn't, it's just that the team on the pitch are good enough but have zero confidence and the fans are (rightly) restless. Hopefully a new coach will reset things and with a couple of wins, everything could be different.

Completely this. It’ll take a while before Smith’s horrendous work can be deprogrammed from this squad, Russell and Weaver showing that they’re not quite ready to manage a game and I suspect have been ‘guided’ not to go too far from how Smith set up the team. A new proper manager coming in will have that fresh chance to start from scratch. Hopefully the confidence will come back now the DS negativity leech has been removed. 
Nunez improved today from last game, had more about him. MacCallum had a bit of a stinker, despite a few little snippets of decent defending. He’s young and I can see a player there. 
Support was good again. Boos at the end were unfortunate but disappointment was clearly the motivator.

New chap soon. OTBC 

Edited by SwearyCanary
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, SwearyCanary said:

I bet they know what the Nest is though. Binner 

Google the word 'like' little fella.

It may help you understand the English language better.

10 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Nora is one of them. He's disappointed about his teams draw vs Lincoln.

Atmosphere 100x better but on the pitch? We had more of an idea what we were doing under Smith, in all honesty.

Football swings quickly though. New head coach comes in and gets 3 wins in a row and things suddenly change.

It has worked for WBA. Why not for us? This division is so average that even with our appalling team spirit at the moment, a new coach could put a few wins together and we are back.

1 minute ago, keelansgrandad said:

It has worked for WBA. Why not for us? This division is so average that even with our appalling team spirit at the moment, a new coach could put a few wins together and we are back.

The word is out about Norwich City. We only attract losers and chancers now.

5 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Yep, this. It's just confidence and direction; the right appointment, whoever that may be, could change everything.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Nora's Ghost said:

Google the word 'like' little fella.

It may help you understand the English language better.

Google the word ‘còck’ binner boy. 

it may help your understand yourself better 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Yep, this. It's just confidence and direction; the right appointment, whoever that may be, could change everything.

Agreed.

38 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

I know you're a contrarian but,for goodness sakes, Smith was taking us nowhere fast. He needed to be binned before the break.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Herman said:

I know you're a contrarian but,for goodness sakes, Smith was taking us nowhere fast. He needed to be binned before the break.

We can see for ourselves what we're like without a manager now. The energy the crowd now has that could have done our players so much good earlier the season is wasted because we're rudderless.

It's been commented we had no substitutions today. What do people expect with no manager in place?

People need to admit to themselves that they made a bogeyman out of a decent and respected manager who had a tough job on his hands. And I'm not saying that simply to be a smart ****; people need to learn the lesson so fans make the next manager's job easier instead of harder.

11 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

We can see for ourselves what we're like without a manager now. The energy the crowd now has that could have done our players so much good earlier the season is wasted because we're rudderless.

It's been commented we had no substitutions today. What do people expect with no manager in place?

People need to admit to themselves that they made a bogeyman out of a decent and respected manager who had a tough job on his hands. And I'm not saying that simply to be a smart ****; people need to learn the lesson so fans make the next manager's job easier instead of harder.

A tough job on his hands....that he was being handsomely paid for.

Decent and respectful he may have been (in the main) but ultimately he failed regardless of how many posts you create to try and convince everyone that his sacking was a mistake.

It's almost comical.

On a positive I hate that bloody drum...

But **** me it was quality today, that lad actually has some top timing.

Shame half the fans don't share that timing...

Although the Daniel Farkes yellow army which must have gone on for near 10 mins was quality.

• Like 1

Just now, Nexus_Canary said:

On a positive I hate that bloody drum...

But **** me it was quality today, that lad actually has some top timing.

Shame half the fans don't share that timing...

Although the Daniel Farkes yellow army which must have gone on for near 10 mins was quality.

We were singing Daniel Farke's yellow army in Barclay Upper. I'm sure it helped 🤣

• Haha 1