Sign in to follow this  
TeemuVanBasten

Would you have Gerrard?

Serious question, but I suspect his stock is low when it comes to Premier League jobs now, wouldn't rule out him having to drop down to this league now and have to try and take a team up.

In the real world I suspect his wage demands will be loopy and he'd want a transfer budget, neither of which we're likely to be able to provide, but if he was a feasible option.... would you take a punt? 

2 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

No.

Same for Parker, Martin and Robins.

This is the problem with calling for Smith's head, lack of realistic options being floated.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Chichcan said:

No. He's already shown he's worse than Smith in the same job so it would be completely pointless 

But then Vincent Kompany didn't pull up any trees at Anderlecht did he, whereas Gerrard did at Rangers. I wonder if it was just a case of too big of a leap.

Wonder at the start of the season how many people would have been impressed if we'd announced Kompany and Bellamy, now look at them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

As a genuine question, who would you have on your shortlist?

I'd say Martin and Parker would be at the top of mine.

Steven Schumacher would be on it.

One thing we know for certain is that we won't have consensus on the new manager, no matter who he is. Some haven't even gotten over Farke yet!

As a slight aside it's a shame Gerrard didn't grow into a manager's role better. If he's prepared to start afresh at a lower level and not just chase big ticket jobs, he could turn out a decent manager.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Not so much Parker but I would seriously consider Martin

Martin has great knowledge of our club, knowledge of the Premiership, although limited, and his football certainly has a style about it that would undoubtedly improve with better individual players.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I'd be wary of both, but can't deny that Martin seems to have a philosophy of some sort and Scott Parker has two Championship promotions on his CV in the space of a few years, with two different clubs.

I wonder if we can even afford Parker though, I've got a feeling he'd hold out for a relegated club rather than get involved with one which is approaching this summer with inevitable cloth cutting, unless he feels he could do an Alex Neil and take this squad up this season with limited January investment.

Or we could go back to Germany and take a punt on some chap from Bundesliga 2 or something? 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

14 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I'd be wary of both, but can't deny that Martin seems to have a philosophy of some sort and Scott Parker has two Championship promotions on his CV in the space of a few years, with two different clubs.

I wonder if we can even afford Parker though, I've got a feeling he'd hold out for a relegated club rather than get involved with one which is approaching this summer with inevitable cloth cutting, unless he feels he could do an Alex Neil and take this squad up this season with limited January investment.

Or we could go back to Germany and take a punt on some chap from Bundesliga 2 or something? 

I dont think Scott Parkers stock is as high as you think it is. His next job could well be a championship club that finishes mid table in my opinion.

1 minute ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

You said the same for Dean Smith though and now you've got his poster on the wall.

Again, no. I just don't criticise every single aspect under the sun, acknowledge other aspects and it doesn't bother me if he drinks tea or not.

1 minute ago, hogesar said:

Again, no. I just don't criticise every single aspect under the sun, acknowledge other aspects and it doesn't bother me if he drinks tea or not.

And don't want him sacked.

1 hour ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

But then Vincent Kompany didn't pull up any trees at Anderlecht did he, whereas Gerrard did at Rangers. I wonder if it was just a case of too big of a leap.

Wonder at the start of the season how many people would have been impressed if we'd announced Kompany and Bellamy, now look at them.

I would’ve been happy with Kompany and Bellamy. One clearly has a bit of class about him and hugely respected in the game and Bellamy knows our club..

Mind you I’d also take Martin or Parker over smith.

Edited by rock bus

No. It would be something to investigate if it happened though, the second Villa hand me down! Are you implying we are their dumping ground? 

Personally I like what Martin is doing at Swansea, with Gerrard, and to a degree Parker I just do not know enough about them to know if they are rounded enough to pull together an integrated approach which makes sure the entire club is working together.  I sort of get the feeling they have bought the best players available for the first team, and created a team then manned about a lack of resources.  Which is okay, but we need a plan which gets better results than our finances can really justify on their own.

I'd have Mauricio Pochettino as our ideal manager....not too much of an ask....is it?.....

But he's probably pencilled in for the England job if 'our Gareth' decides to hang up his waistcoat...

I'd take Southgate over Gerrard. Pretty clear to me that Southgate's excellent at getting a team to play for each other and keeping a team happy. That's half the battle.

17 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

I'd take Southgate over Gerrard. Pretty clear to me that Southgate's excellent at getting a team to play for each other and keeping a team happy. That's half the battle.

What has he won? 

17 minutes ago, Herman said:

Our hearts.🥰🤣

That’s a yes from Lakey then. His main criteria for a head coach appears to be someone suitable for a bit of a man crush, rather than a credible Premier League campaign.

19 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

What has he won? 

More matches in the KO stages of a tournament than any other England manager, and with a team that's unbalanced. There's plenty coming out that the team spirit in that camp was excellent.

Great team spirit can balance out a more talented team if they're not too content. Gerrard never had much of an issue with competition at Rangers until Postecoglou took over Celtic, and whilst he started OK at Villa, he never got beyond that and that was despite being really bankrolled at the time. And if you don't really have much time to drill a team together, which you don't at international level, you need to be a superb man-manager.

Southgate's got that down to a tee.

10 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:
29 minutes ago, Herman said:

Our hearts.🥰🤣

That’s a yes from Lakey then. His main criteria for a head coach appears to be someone suitable for a bit of a man crush, rather than a credible Premier League campaign.

I just want a manager who has a bit of charisma, or at least someone with a bit about them.  Southgate is about as uninteresting a characacter as you could imagine for a football coach/manager..........Smith isn't far behind.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

What has he won? 

Most foolish response... ever.

What had Farke won? What had Alex Neil won? What had Paul Lambert won as a manager? Or Mike Walker? 

I just want a manager who has a bit of charisma, or at least someone with a bit about them.  Southgate is about as uninteresting a characacter as you could imagine for a football coach/manager..........Smith isn't far behind.

Ok, I am putting your judgement of people into the, "ignore when anyone asks and he responds" category.

I'm also going to recommend, in a letter to the club, that they start scouting holiday camps as fans want a manager that has charisma.

I'd just point out at this point that Lambert wasn't exactly brimming full of charisma, nor was Walker, Worthington or even Alex Neil.

Folks need to get over this love affair with Farke. He just wasn't good enough in the end, for us at this point in time. As much of a nice chap he was, and his little jokes etc, it was still just his way of handling the press and keeping them focused on him and not the players. Again, look at successful managers, not all of them are charismatic, some are outspoken, but that isn't charismatic. Few are like Klopp or Farke or Ranieri.

When people say realistic, that's exactly what they mean. I genuinely believe no one would give a rats bottom how dour our manager was if the football was attractive and we were winning more often than not.

In fact, I would say that if we were creating more chances and playing better in the attacking aspects of the game when we have the ball, no one would even be saying that they felt Smith was too beige. 

Edited by chicken