Sign in to follow this  
TeemuVanBasten

What manager would want to come here...

2 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Loads of managers would want to come here. Dozens from the lower leagues. Anyone who has just been sacked . Lots of European managers would jump at the chance . 

I agree this is still a big job that many managers would jump at .😁

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

There seems to be lots of swear words missing from your posts today, are you OK?

Much better having got that out of the system!

What people need to reflect on when considering your opinions is that they're listening to a Conservative party member who actively voted for Liz Truss in the belief she was the best thing for the country.

I think people should keep that in mind when making a judgement whether your feelings about the administration of the football club are based on sound reasoning.

Just now, littleyellowbirdie said:

Much better having got that out of the system!

What people need to reflect on when considering your opinions is that they're listening to a Conservative party member who actively voted for Liz Truss in the belief she was the best thing for the country.

I think people should keep that in mind when making a judgement whether your feelings about the administration of the football club are based on sound reasoning.

Binner 

4 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

We punted with AN and DF and they both worked in that they got us promoted. So assuming promotion is still on the cards, why don't we look for similar instead of failure, which Deano is/was.

Schumacher would be an obvious one to look at. Turned Argyle from a boring up and down L1/L2 club into one that knows how to win with panache. I'm sure he would love to have the funds available to him that we have compared to Plymouth.

How was Dean a "failure"? He'd been sacked because the Villa owner felt he should have been doing better. Gerrard - so folks on here say, has hardly been massively better despite spending more money. Otherwise, he had been on the up and up. At the point of appointment he hadn't been relegated from the premier league and had kept Villa up.

You suggest Schumacher is an obvious one to look at. He's 38 and not yet a year into his first head coach/manager position. Yes, he is doing really well with Plymouth, but probably needs a bit more time don't you think? Main advantage is we assume he would be cheap so a three year contract wouldn't commit us to much.

• Like 1

Go and get Kjetil Knutsen, Gerardo Martino or Urs Fischer If we can. Ambitious names but we have to show that ambition.

Failing that there are plenty of other Coaches/Managers out there that would do a better job than Smith. 
Even Martin I would much rather have than Smith. At least there would be a connection with the fans, a real direction in which you can see how the team wants to play. Swansea play some real nice football but without the individual quality that we probably possess. Would show more fight. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Sweep the stands after the game ? 

If we're going for a sweeper can we get one who was actually good at the job. Step forward Ian Culverhouse.........................

3 minutes ago, HB1989 said:

Go and get Kjetil Knutsen, Gerardo Martino or Urs Fischer If we can. Ambitious names but we have to show that ambition.

Failing that there are plenty of other Coaches/Managers out there that would do a better job than Smith. 
Even Martin I would much rather have than Smith. At least there would be a connection with the fans, a real direction in which you can see how the team wants to play. Swansea play some real nice football but without the individual quality that we probably possess. Would show more fight. 

I hope the folks that used to absolutely slag him off no end have been able to reconcile their differences then. He's thick skinned and no doubt would consider coming to us. And I believe he has spoken about how he felt he was treated by some section of the support online and elsewhere. Like I say, I don't think it'd stop him coming though. Makes you think though doesn't it? Slag players off and if they become good managers and we want them back...

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, HB1989 said:

Ambitious names maybe but are they in any way realistic?

Knutsen: Managing in Norway so I guess that represents a step up but they still have European football to look forward to in the new year.

Martino: Currently managing Mexico so is presumably in the middle of preparing for the world cup. Big question mark on whether he'd even be interested in the job.

Fischer: Union Berlin manager. Top of the Bundesliga and also in the Europa League right now.

I think Martin is a good pick, it's not without risk but that's the level we are at right now. Martin, despite being only 36, is now in his third full season of management. If he had stayed with MK Dons last year I suspect we'd likely be coming up against them this year. Our squad is good enough and the league bad enough that if we find a manager who can get our midfield players playing to a decent level we should go up easily.

3 minutes ago, repman said:

Ambitious names maybe but are they in any way realistic?

Knutsen: Managing in Norway so I guess that represents a step up but they still have European football to look forward to in the new year.

Martino: Currently managing Mexico so is presumably in the middle of preparing for the world cup. Big question mark on whether he'd even be interested in the job.

Fischer: Union Berlin manager. Top of the Bundesliga and also in the Europa League right now.

I think Martin is a good pick, it's not without risk but that's the level we are at right now. Martin, despite being only 36, is now in his third full season of management. If he had stayed with MK Dons last year I suspect we'd likely be coming up against them this year. Our squad is good enough and the league bad enough that if we find a manager who can get our midfield players playing to a decent level we should go up easily.

Granted, they are ambitious but who knows if they are realistic.

Knutsen we have been linked with before so maybe some good connections/talks previously. In Norway so even the Championship is maybe a step above that or at least on par. 
Martino is one who we would obviously have to wait until after the World Cup to get but his contract is up at the end of the year. Plays really high intensity pressing and attacking football which is what most of us fans want to see. One to keep an eye on.

Fischer is probably the most ambitious one looking from the outside as they are as you say currently top of the Bundesliga but obviously they won’t stay there with the likes of Munich chasing them down and much further back Dortmund. But as we all know the place to be is in England and the Prem. That is the project we would have to sell him and of course the state of the art training facilities etc.

That is just 3 Coaches who I like the look of, plenty more out there. We just have to hope Webber pulls the trigger and gets rid of Smith before it’s too late and gets the right person this time who has a certain way of playing and also has a Plan B and C when it’s not working. Also would like to see someone who could create a connection with our fan base as it’s always going to help (Farke and Lambert). It also makes us feel more involved and definitely improves the atmosphere in the stands.

Definitely agree about our midfield, that is where the game is won and lost. 

13 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

What manager worth their salt would want to come here to work under Stuart Webber, when its been made clear in the media that Webber's looking for the next project and is only committing a year at a time.

The serious managers who don't just see contract value $$$$ and want to really build something in their identity, like Russell Martin is trying to do at Swansea, want some confidence that there is full buy in and time to build. 

New Sporting Director at any time = highly likely want their own man and have their own ideas. 

On what planet should we allow somebody on a rolling contract dish out a 3 year contract to a manager. 

This is why Webber has to go along with Smith.

Any number of excellent ones would jump at the chance.

10 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

So there you go. You've illustrated how he's proven and just said it's not proof. Just utter nonsense with the classic defence of 'it's my opinyun innit'.

Ah I see the problem. We obviously have a different understanding of what proven means. For me it means successful beyond doubt. There’s plenty of doubt with Smith, so he is not proven in my eyes. 

Possibly with his Villa squad in the championship and me as manager, even I’d have got them promoted. Would that make me proven?

5 minutes ago, Canary Jedi said:

Ah I see the problem. We obviously have a different understanding of what proven means. For me it means successful beyond doubt. There’s plenty of doubt with Smith, so he is not proven in my eyes. 

Possibly with his Villa squad in the championship and me as manager, even I’d have got them promoted. Would that make me proven?

And therein lies the MO of the boo boys: set impossibly high bars for everything that can never be satisfied so that anything positive can be rejected as success and anything negative can be cited as evidence of conclusive failure, much like xG was scoffed at during a 9-game unbeaten run, and xG is considered 'debunked' because of a 3-game losing streak and forgetting the 9-game unbeaten run. 

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

How anybody can support Smith is beyond me , the sides he is putting out are having one or two attempts on target a match , even in the fabled 9 match run we were boring and lucky , take Sunderland yes we won 1-0 but nobody could have complained if we had lost by 3 or 4 .

Reading , Hanleys goal the only attempt all match , Watford Sargents goal same story .How bad do we have to get before it sinks in Smith is terrible . If he stays I really have doubts we will finish above the binners next season .

I'm not wholly sure about Russell Martin but his stock does seem to be increasing by the week. I think he would jump at the chance at coming here no question.  

I'd be more keen on him than I was with Dean Smith that's for sure.

I'd love someone like Russ to come here and do well, but ideally we need someone with PL credibility to take us a step further than Farke did. I'm not sure who that could possibly be. I just wish we had managed to get Eddie Howe before he ended up at Newcastle, I think he'd have been perfect for us.

1 minute ago, AJ said:

I'd love someone like Russ to come here and do well, but ideally we need someone with PL credibility to take us a step further than Farke did. I'm not sure who that could possibly be. I just wish we had managed to get Eddie Howe before he ended up at Newcastle, I think he'd have been perfect for us.

Trouble is the only PL coaches we can attract with our budgets are the dinosaurs or failures like Dyche and Bruce.

13 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

The Anti-Growth Coalition is so last week!

It's the Tofu Eating Wokerati now.

They just beat Suella Braverman 8 - 0! 

I don't know if you are old enough to remember the Clash song?

"I fought the quorn, and the quorn won"

12 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

I didn't vote for anybody and I'm no longer a Conservative member, neither are about 50% of my local association after we all resigned enmass, the Tory's are finished.

Is this where you unleash another torrent of abuse because somebody doesn't share your opinion on something? I bet you scream at retail workers when they don't have your size in stock don't you Karen.

2 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

And therein lies the MO of the boo boys: set impossibly high bars for everything that can never be satisfied so that anything positive can be rejected as success and anything negative can be cited as evidence of conclusive failure, much like xG was scoffed at during a 9-game unbeaten run, and xG is considered 'debunked' because of a 3-game losing streak and forgetting the 9-game unbeaten run. 

Err…no

Seems like you’re determined to have an argument, I’m not really interested in a bum fight. If you think Dean Smith is proven then good for you!

Liz Truss then is also proven, she’s been in power a few weeks and has already made some interesting decisions 😀

2 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I didn't vote for anybody and I'm no longer a Conservative member, neither are about 50% of my local association after we all resigned enmass, the Tory's are finished.

Is this where you unleash another torrent of abuse because somebody doesn't share your opinion on something? I bet you scream at retail workers when they don't have your size in stock don't you Karen.

Surprised this is the first time you've mentioned your change of heart on that score. 

It was interesting to hear the opposition and Conservative backbenchers laying into the farcical hiring and firing merry-go-round in Westminster at the moment. It's no way to run a country, nor any business, nor a football club. 

209484108_Screenshot2022-10-20at14_08_23.png.2d19fb888331ec8d698768545a5ddfea.png1033334171_Screenshot2022-10-20at14_10_09.png.8212a87a5baccb64a69c58de1144469f.png

Edited by littleyellowbirdie
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Badger said:

I don't know if you are old enough to remember the Clash song?

"I fought the quorn, and the quorn won"

London Quorning?....

1 hour ago, Mello Yello said:

Jimi Hendrix "Quorn along the Watchtower"....

"Quorn to be wild;" Quorn in the USA."