CirclePoint

It's been almost a year...

It's been almost a year.........DF may not have been good enough to coach in the Prem, but he was learning and I truly enjoyed watching NCFC play under him, win, lose or draw.  DF brought, class, style and a belief that, given the right tools, we could make something of it. Smith seems to smile, drink his tea and wait for his fat check at the exit interview.

As the image says. I feel as many others do that we have been more holding it together and getting bye, than building cohesion and momentum as a team. I recognize that teams require time to gel, but we're coming up to 15 games in and it feels as though we are lost as a team. Yes the talent in there, but it's like the players are playing in different languages. And no, I don't think it has anything to do with not having a left-back, or a soft middle field, or Pukki not getting service while Sargent is out wide. I think it has everything to do with how they're being coached.

My feeling is we've seen NCFC at it's best this season. Strap in for an off-road experience with no suspension.

as good 2.jpg

Edited by CirclePoint
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, CirclePoint said:

It's been almost a year.........DF may not have been good enough to coach in the Prem, but he was learning and I truly enjoyed watching NCFC play under him, win, lose or draw.  DF brought, class, style and a belief that, given the right tools, we could make something of it. Smith seems to smile, drink his tea and wait for his fat check at the exit interview.

As the image says. I feel as many others do that we have been more holding it together and getting bye, than building cohesion and momentum as a team. I recognize that teams require time to gel, but we're coming up to 15 games in and it feels as though we are lost as a team. Yes the talent in there, but it's like the players and playing in different languages. And no, I don't think it has anything to do with not having a left-back, or a soft middle field, or Pukki not getting service while Sargent is out wide. I think it has everything to do with how they're being coached.

My feeling is we've seen NCFC at it's best this season. Strap in for an off-road experience with no suspension.

as good 2.jpg

This,

I didn't mind losing under him because I knew 99% we'd go down swinging, trying to play football and with some passion.

I just don't see that now,

Even when scrapping wins, it dull, tedious and passionless.

I think the way I support the club as changed as I've matured, there's more to being in the Premier League, Id rather have someone to believe in.

• Like 5

"DF brought, class, style and a belief that, given the right tools, we could make something of it"

And is statistically one of the worst top flight managers in history. Funny you left that part out.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, CirclePoint said:

We've seen NCFC at its best under Dean Smith.

I feel that there is a chance of salvaging something out of this season if we were to be bold and change things up within the next few weeks, a manager with some fresh ideas with a couple of loans in January to strengthen in a couple of areas (another DM and a Right Winger in my opinion, desperately needed, Jacob Murphy would be nice if Newcastle upgrade him in January... which you'd think is a possibility).

Still only think that could be top 6 though, and wouldn't put money on DS leading us to a top 6 finish.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, CirclePoint said:

As the image says. I feel as many others do that we have been more holding it together and getting bye, than building cohesion and momentum as a team. I recognize that teams require time to gel, but we're coming up to 15 games in and it feels as though we are lost as a team. Yes the talent in there, but it's like the players and playing in different languages. And no, I don't think it has anything to do with not having a left-back, or a soft middle field, or Pukki not getting service while Sargent is out wide. I think it has everything to do with how they're being coached.

as good 2.jpg

Hard to disagree, as we watch everything that was built up under Farke ,wash away over the last year. However, and this won't be popular, I think I can see where Smith is trying to take us, I just happen to think he's wrong. The 433 , once up n running with this level of player should do ok in the Champs , particularly with a competent DCM in place. 

But, it won't do in the Prem, no Farking way. Unless we bring in 6 seriously decent players. So here's my point.... If we concentrate on 352 ...gets sarge and Pukki on( with idah/ hugill as options. The midfield by definition of the system should be well patrolled at all times giving Nunez, Sara, Dowell/ Cantwell , whoever ...as they all look decent operators in tight spaces , some cover behind . 

Use this season to really bed in the system, should we get promoted, stick with it, just upgrade in personel as much as possible. Given how hard working  Sarge and Pukki are, we don't lose much , if anything defensively by playing this way.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Hard to disagree, as we watch everything that was built up under Farke ,wash away over the last year. However, and this won't be popular, I think I can see where Smith is trying to take us, I just happen to think he's wrong. The 433 , once up n running with this level of player should do ok in the Champs , particularly with a competent DCM in place. 

But, it won't do in the Prem, no Farking way. Unless we bring in 6 seriously decent players. So here's my point.... If we concentrate on 352 ...gets sarge and Pukki on( with idah/ hugill as options. The midfield by definition of the system should be well patrolled at all times giving Nunez, Sara, Dowell/ Cantwell , whoever ...as they all look decent operators in tight spaces , some cover behind . 

Use this season to really bed in the system, should we get promoted, stick with it, just upgrade in personel as much as possible. Given how hard working  Sarge and Pukki are, we don't lose much , if anything defensively by playing this way.

Where do you play Max in this formation? 

14 minutes ago, CDMullins said:

This,

I didn't mind losing under him because I knew 99% we'd go down swinging, trying to play football and with some passion.

I think the way I support the club as changed as I've matured, there's more to being in the Premier League, Id rather have someone to believe in.

I'm no fan of Smith but even under Farke the football in those first 10 games was turgid and a complete departure from 2 seasons previous.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

"DF brought, class, style and a belief that, given the right tools, we could make something of it"

And is statistically one of the worst top flight managers in history. Funny you left that part out.

Funny how you added it in. But since you brought it up, I'm not sure it's a sound point to stand on considering Farke and Smith both struggled in the Premier League.

Farke has a 12% win rate in the Premier League, while Smith has 28%.

Farke's goal difference is -70, while Smiths is -66

Farke has seen NCFC relegated twice. Smith once.

So are you saying that Smith is twice as good? Because to me he looks just as bad. With that said, I'll take classy, stylish and a solid belief in a style of play, thank you very much.

8 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

Maybe you should arrange a candle lit vigil some where.

Great idea. I'll let you get right on that. And, while you're at the store, could you pick me up a couple of new air bubbles for my spirit level?

Next.

3 minutes ago, CirclePoint said:

Great idea. I'll let you get right on that. And, while you're at the store, could you pick me up a couple of new air bubbles for my spirit level?

Next.

Do you want metric or imperial?

39 minutes ago, Norfolk Dan said:

Where do you play Max in this formation? 

Right wing back, and encourage him to play as we know he can. 3 CBs helps him in this respect.

5 minutes ago, CirclePoint said:

Next.

You'll be needing a Long Stand to go with that I assume?.

Next.

• Haha 1

It’s not that he was sacked but how he was sacked. The bull  **** after the Brentford win that the board and owners were so pleased for him was pathetic. Farke deserved a graceful ending, not one after a media interview. 

Edited by Midlands Yellow
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

Do you want metric or imperial?

Your intellectual prowess gives a strong impression of man who is out standing in his field.

Edited by CirclePoint

1 hour ago, CDMullins said:

This,

This feels a bit revisionist to me- certainly a case of 'Farke tinted glasses' if such a thing can exist.

For instance I didn't see any passion or attempts to play football in our 11 straight losses post the restart. Similarly I don't think we went down swinging against anyone apart from Brentford and maybe Brighton pre Farke being sacked last season.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

It’s not that he was sacked but how he was sacked. The bull  **** after the Brentford win that the board and owners were so pleased for him was pathetic. Farke deserved a graceful ending, not one after a media interview. 

It was disgraceful and disrespectful. For a manager who brought so much to the club to simply be tossed out like a piece of trash. Some might call it swift and strong. I call it cowardly. Webber failed to acknowledge that once again, he f*u<k3d up his transfers and found a scapegoat. Why is this true? Because Smith did exactly the same job, with the same team. So it wasn’t Farke.

I honestly believe that given a mid table Prem team, Farke’s team would be a joy to watch.

Edited by CirclePoint
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, CirclePoint said:

It was disgraceful and disrespectful. For a manager who brought so much to the club to simply be tossed out like a piece of trash. Some might call it swift and strong. I call it cowardly. Webber failed to acknowledge that once again, he f*u<k3d up his transfer and found a scapegoat. Why is this true? Because Smith did exactly the same job, with the same team. So it wasn’t Farke.

I honestly believe that given a mid table Prem team, Farke’s team would be a joy to watch in the Premier League.

The second it was decided that Farke had to go he should been told ASAP. Webber, the board and owners were spineless. I look forward to hearing Daniel’s version of events in good time. 

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Since you don’t actually go and watch them, the rest of the post is irrelevant to you, but maybe not to some of us.

Tonight will be a tough test only 5 points separate us from 15th which should show how tight this league is thanks to our failure to beat teams we really should be beating. I’m afraid come the start of the World Cup break we will be out of sight of the automatic picture with these lacklustre smith performances. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, CirclePoint said:

Your intellectual prowess gives a strong impression of man who is out standing in his field.

Is he a scarecrow then?.....

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

Since you don’t actually go and watch them, the rest of the post is irrelevant to you, but maybe not to some of us.

Spent half my childhood watching us play at carrow road but do keep talking about me like you know, keep trying to shame a fellow lifelong fan of the club into 'being less of a fan whos opinions mean nothing' like a pathetic child. You don't know me. You know nothing about me, my life, the things I have been through and the issues I face but please do go on and tell me my opinions and thoughts, my very freedom of speech means absolutely nothing. Or, you know, grow up and act like a mature adult and stop trying to tell people their opnions mean nothing. It's pathetic, it's childish and I do wish you woud grow up. Every single poster on here has a right to their own say regardless of how you feel about them, regardless of how they are towards the club. Every single person regardess of if you agree with them or not has a right to express their thoughts. 

Do please grow up.

Is it half term holidays? There is some real strange views on here. 

The 7-0 thrashing by Chelsea was the day that Farke lost his job. The tactics that day were totally bizarre and woeful.  Trying to take on some of the World’s best by playing them at their own game…..and getting absolutely outclassed. And at no point attempting to change things. 

Edited by duke63

Farke was rightfully sacked. Should probably should have been sooner.

Interesting though that in other posts, Smith supporters are now retrospectively criticising Farke for the very same things that the 'Farke outers' were spouting a year ago. Not exactly whole hearted support, which Smith clearly doesn't have (pre Luton)!

3 minutes ago, duke63 said:

Is it half term holidays? There is some real strange views on here. 

The 7-0 thrashing by Chelsea was the day that Farke lost his job. The tactics that day were totally bizarre and woeful.  Trying to take on some of the World’s best by playing them at their own game…..and getting absolutely outclassed. And at no point attempting to change things. 

So why didn’t they sack him after that match then? Norwich lost to leeds the following week at home and still no sacking. Webber probably wanted him out after that Chelsea debacle but the board hadn’t got the balls to do it properly. 

2 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

At least he took NCFC there which the current incumbent may not do.

30 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

So it was you sat on the roof through the 20/21 season then?

Edited by Google Bot
  • Haha 2

Great manager. One of the best we've ever had and should have never been sacked. The players were clearly a mile away from the required standard and his hands were tied (as were Dean Smith's).

But, he's gone, and NCFC goes on. There will be new heroes and maybe if we get off Smith's back he will turn into one. 

I totally agree with certain points. Even though we did disagree with DF sometimes with his rigidity in sticking to the plan, he did have one. I am not sure if Deano has one. I know its normal after a loss and of course injuries, but unless he has had an epiphany, I fully expect Deano to change again tonight but not in a way that I personally feel is what we need.

Cliche I know, but I hope I am completely wrong and we run riot tonight with a lineup and style that sets us on another record breaking run. I'll worry about next season after this one. Because unless we do go up I don't think he will be here next season.

• Like 1

Yesterday by chance highlights of the Newcastle game when Pukki got a hat-trick came up as first suggestion on my YouTube page, so I watched it. OMG, compared to the dross we get now, it looked so fluid and exciting. Pukki was on fire and Cantwell was nothing like the shadow of a player he has become. There was joy in the performance.

Now I know the vast majority of games that season weren't like that, and that for some reason we were unbelievably bad in the last ten games, but I couldn't help but feel how far we have regressed. For more than a year now, we have been disjointed, ugly, joyless, shapeless, and it's no longer because we have to face some of the best sides on the planet; we look just as crap against Cardiff and Hull and Reading as we did last season against Premier League opponents.

This post isn't an argument for Farke; our decline started under his management. But Smith has done nothing in twelve months to arrest that decline. We need a fresh start and a young, exciting head coach.

• Like 3