Sign in to follow this  
Mr_Biff1961

law 12 section 2 Goalkeeper 6 second Law

I am fully aware that we are not immune to doing this, but wish to see this stamped out in the game.

I sent an email to the EFL requesting clarification why this law is ignored and received this unbelievable response, does this mean they can use their discretion whether to enforce all the laws of the game?

Thank you for your e-mail.

Having liaised with the Referees’ Manager in relation to the 6 second rule, we would advise that officials manage this area of the game at their discretion, taking action when infringements become very apparent and/or persistent. There has to be some degree of flexibility and understanding from officials, and in turn, players themselves, in relation to ongoing management of any perceived ‘time-wasting’.

Referees can of course take action by speaking to or cautioning the goalkeeper, as well as adding time allowed at the end of 90minutes.

We hope that this outlines the procedures in place relating to this particular rule.

Thank you for contacting the EFL.

Kindest regards,

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Mr_Biff1961 said:

I am fully aware that we are not immune to doing this, but wish to see this stamped out in the game.

I sent an email to the EFL requesting clarification why this law is ignored and received this unbelievable response, does this mean they can use their discretion whether to enforce all the laws of the game?

Having liaised with the Referees’ Manager in relation to the 6 second rule, we would advise that officials manage this area of the game at their discretion, taking action when infringements become very apparent and/or persistent. There has to be some degree of flexibility and understanding from officials, and in turn, players themselves, in relation to ongoing management of any perceived ‘time-wasting’.

Referees can of course take action by speaking to or cautioning the goalkeeper, as well as adding time allowed at the end of 90minutes.

We hope that this outlines the procedures in place relating to this particular rule.

Kindest regards,

It does say "this area of the game" so the answer is no, not all of the game.

Hope that helps. 😀

I remember having this discussion with a rugby referee way back in the 1970s. Those who run football don't understand the difference between laws and rules. Rugby has rules - referee has complete on field discretion as to how to apply them. Football has laws - referee is there to impose them and has very limited discretion using only the instructions to apply the laws given to them by the FA.

But the FA, and by extension the EFL, don't understand that, so they always claim that the referees have absolute discretion and authority. They don't, but let's not let facts get in the way.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

I remember having this discussion with a rugby referee way back in the 1970s. Those who run football don't understand the difference between laws and rules. Rugby has rules - referee has complete on field discretion as to how to apply them. Football has laws - referee is there to impose them and has very limited discretion using only the instructions to apply the laws given to them by the FA.

But the FA, and by extension the EFL, don't understand that, so they always claim that the referees have absolute discretion and authority. They don't, but let's not let facts get in the way.

I’m not sure if it makes any difference to your point about referees having or not having on field discretion but aren’t they called Laws in both rugby and football?

Tim Krul is as guilty as any goalkeeper of sh*thousery by falling down on the ball and slowly getting up to his feet, before getting rid of it.

This is one area I wouldn't get too worked up about.

1 hour ago, Mr_Biff1961 said:

Kindest regards,

A bugbear of mine, too. If they want to leave timewasting to the referee's discretion, why not take the '6 seconds' wording out of the law? Or change it to, say, 10 seconds and enforce it more strictly? Keepers especially (Krul included!) do seem to get away with an inordinate amount of timewasting. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

A bugbear of mine, too. If they want to leave timewasting to the referee's discretion, why not take the '6 seconds' wording out of the law? Or change it to, say, 10 seconds and enforce it more strictly? Keepers especially (Krul included!) do seem to get away with an inordinate amount of timewasting. 

Totally agree.

The IFAB laws of the game are known to be very vague in some areas, yet the "6-seconds" holding law is one that is worded very clearly, yet it is seldom enforced by the referee and as a result, Goalkeepers constantly exploit this as a tool for leverage on time-wasting, and as a result errosion on the spirit of the game.

Remember when it was first introduced and Jaaskelainen et al were penalised for it straight away? Yet since then the integrity of the law has been underminded by "newer interpretations" by the Referees: If this is the consensus, then why is the wording of the law not changed by IFAB?

Edited by TheRock
  • Like 2

Gets enforced on FIFA! 

All joking aside, the amount of sh1thousery, time wasting and playacting in the sport needs to be stamped out. Every season it chips away at my enthusiasm for watching football. 

49 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

There are so many little niggly things that bug me about how rules are applied in football and this is definitly a big one. I've never understood why referees wait until the 5th or 6th offence before brandishing the yellow card, almost always waiting until very late in the game where it will have the least impact.

There are some very simple things that could be enforced to help cut time wasting down- goal kicks have to be taken from the side the ball went out for example- but the obvious thing to do is reduce the length of games and stop the clock when the ball is out of play. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, NFN FC said:

Gets enforced on FIFA! 

All joking aside, the amount of sh1thousery, time wasting and playacting in the sport needs to be stamped out. Every season it chips away at my enthusiasm for watching football. 

My personal annoyance is players stealing 10 yards or so every single throw in. I think it was the Arsenal v Liverpool game recently where the ball went out about 25 yards from goal and the eventual throw in was taken near the halfway line!

4 minutes ago, king canary said:

My personal annoyance is players stealing 10 yards or so every single throw in. I think it was the Arsenal v Liverpool game recently where the ball went out about 25 yards from goal and the eventual throw in was taken near the halfway line!

The other one that really boils my p*ss is after conceding a foul, a player either:

a) stands a yard in front of the ball to stop a quick free-kick being taken;
b) picks up the ball and runs away with it, before eventually throwing it back about 30ft in the air to waste another few seconds.

If the authorities had the guts to clamp down on it, you'd get loads of bookings for a few weeks, before players would be pulling each other away from the scene of the foul. It's the same with dissent; a few weeks of absolute chaos, followed by players actively pulling their team-mates away from referees, rather than surrounding the ref en masse.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

The other one that really boils my p*ss is after conceding a foul, a player either:

b) picks up the ball and runs away with it, before eventually throwing it back about 30ft in the air to waste another few seconds.

If the authorities had the guts to clamp down on it, you'd get loads of bookings for a few weeks, before players would be pulling each other away from the scene of the foul. It's the same with dissent; a few weeks of absolute chaos, followed by players actively pulling their team-mates away from referees, rather than surrounding the ref en masse.

Yes hate both of those.

PLayers do make it tough though- I've kept an irrational dislike of Robbie Keane because in the Prem season under Worthy he appealed for a corner when it clearly came off him and got the decision- they subsequently scored.

I do wonder if a lot of the complaints about referees being useless might die down if players stopped trying to con then on every minor decision. 

• Like 2

Thing that bugs me is that teams sometimes do it all second half, and despite numerous warnings the ref gets his card out after 95 minutes 

At the beginning of the season we were told any time wasting would result in a yellow card. Consequently not sure if anyone else watched the 1st Championship game of the season on Sky involving Burnley. Anyone attempting to to waste time was waved a yellow, was funny and brilliant at the same time.

Unfortunately after that game I haven’t seen it done in any other game, so a one game wonder I guess.

It doesn't really matter what the law is, the level of refereeing in this country is abysmal at times. So many laws are not policed correctly, this being one, shirt pulling is another. The whole concept that you have to go to ground to win a penalty. 

Worst one for me is when a player just sits down in the middle of the pitch. After a few minutes the ref stops the game so they can get treatment. It’s deliberate time wasting and the player is blatantly not injured. I seem to remember a few seasons ago Bristol City said at the start of that season they wouldn’t be kicking the ball out for the opposition, it’s a shame no one else followed suit.

Every team has a player who gets the nod to go into a tackle on 75 minutes, coming out of it with an "injury". This stops the game as the player receives treatment, the managers have time to give tactical advice and change formation, players get drinks and gels. Aarons is our player allotted this task, does it every match.

33 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

I couldn't agree more. Players should be automatically booked for picking up the ball once the decision has been made or if they move towards the ball within 10 yards etc. It would possibly be messy for the first couple of weeks but would massively improve the game. 

The real problem with this law is that it specifies an amount of time in trying to give referees a guideline and be consistent, whilst making it an expectation as a result. Some strikers tend to hang around quite close to the goalie with the aim of slowing them down and tripping this - Alan Shearer definitely did that in the Jääaskeläinen case someone mentioned earlier. Scrap any notion of a time limit and make this more discretionary.

Agree with the stealing of yards on throws. I'd actually be questioning the assistant here in some of the cases - as much as the assistant should be in line with defenders, they can also have a word with the player re.where the ball is being chucked. Or, indeed, even pretty much stand in the way and stop a player running further up.

As @king canary said though, the problem really lies with the players and ultimately, with the money involved in the game.