A Load of Squit

Chelsea talking to Webber

1 minute ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I mean, that's half the squad.

And Djiks, Oliviera and Wildschut were signed after our relegation.

And which of the "missing other half" do you think would get in the present team?

15 minutes ago, horsefly said:

Sorry I thought the point was pretty obvious. Or do you think that squad contains as much quality as the current one? Hoolahan and Howson are probably the only two who might get into the current team.

Timm Klose literally kept Hanley out of the team before his bad injury under Farke? Hanley played 7 games in our first Farke promotion. 

3 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Timm Klose literally kept Hanley out of the team before his bad injury under Farke? Hanley played 7 games in our first Farke promotion. 

Even if we entertained the idea that donkey Timm (as much as I loved him, especially for that goal) would keep Hanley out of the team, that makes 3. (Perhaps you might also want to take a look at our results in those first 7 games).

Edited by horsefly

5 minutes ago, horsefly said:

I suspect he would rather have not needed to sell either of those two but was forced to because the business dealings of McNally left us with considerable debts to pay off. That he helped mastermind two promotions without those two "key" players, goes rather to the point of what impresses some of us about his career at NCFC.

I suspect McNally had a NDA so couldn't exercise a right of reply, but he did once answer a Norwich fan on twitter who bashed him about the Naismith deal. 

And his answer to that was that the Naismith transfer wouldn't have caused issues if he'd stayed because he'd have got us promoted at first attempt.

And it was 2 promotions out of a possible 2 during his reign, so nobody would have bet against him being correct. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

1 minute ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I suspect McNally had a NDA so couldn't exercise a right of reply, but he did once answer a Norwich fan on twitter who bashed him about the Naismith deal. 

And his answer to that was that the Naismith transfer wouldn't have caused issues if he'd stayed because he'd have got us promoted at first attempt.

And it was 2 promotions out of a possible 2 during his reign, so nobody would have bet against him being correct. 

That's quite a remarkable claim for a counterfactual conditional, especially one concerning Naismith.

Also, where do you get "two promotions out of a possible two" from? That completely contradicts the claim about getting promoted at the "first attempt" if Naismith had stayed.

6 minutes ago, glory.win or die. said:

I thought that

Completely forgot he's at Brighton now ( does he Play?)

He's played 2 minutes across 2 games in the league. MOTM in both I hear.

Perhaps the Americans don’t rate Mr and Mrs Webber. In my humble opinion, McNally achieved more during his time. I liked the football and atmosphere under McNally, Bowkett  and Lambert… with Holt, Hoolihan, etc. Brilliant, exciting times!

• Like 4

Just now, KeiranShikari said:

He's played 2 minutes across 2 games in the league. MOTM in both I hear.

I think Souness made him MOTM in three games actually.

2 minutes ago, horsefly said:

That's quite a remarkable claim for a counterfactual conditional, especially one concerning Naismith.

Also, where do you get "two promotions out of a possible two" from? That completely contradicts the claim about getting promoted at the "first attempt" if Naismith had stayed.

He left at the end of the Prem season, our failure to win promotion at first attempt came under the stewardship of primarily Jez Moxey. Hope that jogs your memory.

18 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

But.... Webber was highly critical of our business dealings under McNally. 

But relied on the sales of Maddison and Godfrey to achieve his two promotions. 

Both signed under McNally, think they came in the same window that we signed Naismith.

Webber critical of the policy of putting every last penny into the playing budget at the expense of the infrastructure. Considering the amount that had to be spent he was probably correct.

• Like 1

I agree with those who say that Webber's time here has been a big success, much as I dislike his attitude towards the fans. But I think he's given us most of what he can offer (the improvements to the infrastructure and finance) while he may well be little better than any replacement at what we most need now (good recruitment of management and players)

7 minutes ago, horsefly said:

If McNally had stayed, think you missed the point. 

The issue with the Naismith contract was that it was a year longer than the two years of top rate parachute payments.

McNallys response to that was that he believed if we'd kept faith in him, rather than appoint Moxey, we wouldn't have f*cked it up in our first season down, and therefore the length of the Naismith contract would have been a complete non-issue. 

7 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

He left at the end of the Prem season, our failure to win promotion at first attempt came under the stewardship of primarily Jez Moxey. Hope that jogs your memory.

I do apologise. I wasn't thinking of the promotion from L1. As for the main point about Naismith???

There’s no way anything other than positive view under Webber, he’s certainly not outside criticism for a few things but then who’s perfect? On the whole he’s been a superb success and maybe should have gone the same time as Farke, as since then as mentioned the club just isn’t buzzing, we should be we’re second, have the potential of big investment in the future yet the atmosphere at Carrow Road and on forums appears really blasé! 

As Farke should be regarded as a brilliant success till last season. Will he be missed who knows Adams might be far more a success!

1 minute ago, yellow_belly said:

If he doesn’t get the Chelsea job, is his (and Zoe’s) job tenable? Or should we part company amicably?

I don't any reason why they wouldn't continue to do the excellent jobs they currently performing.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, yellow_belly said:

If he doesn’t get the Chelsea job, is his (and Zoe’s) job tenable? Or should we part company amicably?

I don't think his wife can be held responsible for his decision. Employment lawyers would have a field day.

There is no question the infrastructure of the club has improved in Webber's tenure, however its undeniable he has failed at the top level. 

I think now is the right time to be parting ways, so I'm quite 'meh' about it really. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, A Load of Squit said:

It's good to talk. Note it says 'spoken', Bailey reporting that it has happened.

https://theathletic.com/3682935/2022/10/12/chelsea-stuart-webber/?source=emp_shared_article

Chelsea have spoken to Norwich City’s Stuart Webber.

Todd Boehly has previously looked to bring Christopher Vivell, the former RB Leizpig technical director, into Stamford Bridge. And he is continuing his restructure behind the scenes by looking at Webber.

Chelsea and new owner Todd Boehly are set to lose out on their main target for sporting director. There was optimism regarding their pursuit of RB Salzburg sporting director Christoph Freund, but that optimism has been replaced by defeat. 

The Austrian club put out an official statement on Tuesday confirming that the 47-year-old would be staying.

"Christoph Freund has been doing excellent work for us for many years and only recently extended his contract until 2026. I can hereby confirm that he will remain sporting director of FC Red Bull Salzburg".

1 minute ago, horsefly said:

I do apologise. I wasn't thinking of the promotion from L1. As for the main point about Naismith???

I've posted again above which might explain what McNally's point was regarding the Naismith transfer. 

He believes that under his stewardship we'd have seen an instant return to the Prem and therefore the Naismith contract would have been a complete non-issue. 

3 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

If McNally had stayed, think you missed the point. 

The issue with the Naismith contract was that it was a year longer than the two years of top rate parachute payments.

McNallys response to that was that he believed if we'd kept faith in him, rather than appoint Moxey, we wouldn't have f*cked it up in our first season down, and therefore the length of the Naismith contract would have been a complete non-issue. 

I don't think I did miss the key point. My point is fundamentally about the complete unreliability of counterfactuals. It's easy to say "if only... then..." as if that represents some kind of truth when there are simply no sufficient grounds for making such a claim. On top of that, given the woeful performances that season, and the dire financial position it left us in, it's hard to see why we should have had any confidence that he would have got us back up the following season. After all he had blown a huge amount of money on a number 10 when we were crying out for central defensive reinforcement. Now, as for Moxey, least said...

I agree with posts that he has undeniably been a success for the club. No one should question this!

But after all the media comments / fallings out at Carrow Road at the end of last season, where he basically came across a total ****, as well as the general abject failings in last season's transfer window; i.e. the arrogance to think we could auction off Buendia and be a better team, the quantity over quality approach, the total failure to address the CDM issue, etc, it's really hard for me to care too much if he does go now. Perhaps there will be slight disappointment from me to lose him like this, but it already felt like the Webber / NCFC cycle had came to an end after last season.

I do hope we bring someone else though rather than handing straight over to Adams. Perhaps a bit harsh as none of us really know how capable he is, I just know promoting from within hasn't always worked so well at NCFC...

How gutted will you feel if Webber does go?

Sexy Bennett has spoken he got interviewed but wasn’t offered it

he is not committed so should now resign in my view 

48 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Why does everything have to be black or white with you. I suppose if you acknowledged grey you'd miss your opportunity to bash Norwich fans again.

Why couldn't somebody acknowledge that Webber has done some good things, and brought us some good times, express some gratitude for what he has done here but simultaneously believe that he's probably done all he can here and it's probably the right time for him to embark on a new challenge? Wish him the best of luck at a completely different type of project whilst also being exciting about a new era and some fresh ideas at Norwich?

Besides, go look at Neil Doncasters salary as the top dog in Scottish football. Calling for him to stay at Norwich were you?

I can see why you'd take this route considering you've wanted him sacked from us on multiple occasions yet Chelsea think he could be good enough for them.

1 hour ago, horsefly said:

I note that the knockers are fond of saying Webber got his transfer dealings appallingly wrong. Would happily see them resurrect quotes from themselves predicting at the time of purchase just how bad a particular player would inevitably turn out to be. I trust no one questioned the free signing of Pukki, Zimmerman, Krul, or the £1m signing of Buendia, or the bargain signings of Mario Vrancic, Stiepermann, Hernandez... etc, etc. Perhaps they also know of a DF who has never had a signing fail to live up to expectations, I'm sure the club would be grateful of any suggestions should Webber leave.

I think Webber has generally been solid in the transfer market but I hate this argument. 

Webber is paid a bery good salary, in part, to build the best squad he can and judge the ability of the players he wants to sign. The fact a bunch of fans didn't predict his signings would be failures is entirely irrelevant to judging his performance. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, king canary said:

I think Webber has generally been solid in the transfer market but I hate this argument. 

Webber is paid a bery good salary, in part, to build the best squad he can and judge the ability of the players he wants to sign. The fact a bunch of fans didn't predict his signings would be failures is entirely irrelevant to judging his performance. 

Agree with this. Webber and his team have access to far more information about a player than we do to make judgement, and they're paid to do that.

I was excited about Tzolis, for example.

Why not look back at the last 12 years with an open mind. Rather than looking back to cherry pick the bits that suit.

Surely the only failure was Moxey?

1 hour ago, horsefly said:

And which of the "missing other half" do you think would get in the present team?

Oliviera is honestly a decent strong, psychical striker.. Just sadly let down by a bad attitude and poor tempter. That combined with Farkes ability to kick players out of the group quickly for petty reasons meant he was doomed from the start