Sign in to follow this  
Canary Jedi

That

For those wearing rose coloured spectacles who have been wondering why so many fans are unhappy, that’s why. 

Today’s defeat was unnecessary, but also unsurprising.

First 20 mins until they scored were excellent. That’s what we want. But after yet another soft equaliser we fell apart. Preston lapped us up thank you very much. 4 goals all season. FOUR! And they get 3 gifts against us. 

Anyone who thinks that everything in the garden is rosy is simply deluded.

Edited by Canary Jedi
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Is there anyone who thinks that?  Not to my knowledge.

But there’s some who will argue we’re dire and it’s all down to the wrong manager, others who can see there’s something there/that there’s mitigating circumstances (eg no left backs, other injuries) and that the guy deserves his chance. I think this is the ‘fighting ground’ if there is one.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Branston Pickle said:

. I think this is the ‘fighting ground’ if there is one.

But we seem to have one hand tied behind our back...

2 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Is there anyone who thinks that? 

Yes, “what’s the problem, we’re top of the league?” Lots of posts with this sentiment.

• Like 4

Exactly what the op said.

As pointed out people will point out our league position which is more down to luck than playing well.

Wait so fans have been unhappy, waiting for our defence to make stupid mistakes and us not to take several guilt edge chances - in advance of it happening?

And I'd have to say none of that is really the manager. Our finishing has generally been OK this season and we had one of better defensive records.

So we have 1 defeat in 10. The 1 defeat is what makes you right,  as opposed to the 9 where we drew / win. The ratio feels a little off...

• Like 5

2 hours ago, hogesar said:

So we have 1 defeat in 10. The 1 defeat is what makes you right,  as opposed to the 9 where we drew / win. The ratio feels a little off...

No you’ve misunderstood. This post is not because we lost. What many have been saying all season perfectly manifested itself today with our performance. I could have posted this after the point against West Brom or possibly Reading … and definitely Cardiff!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Canary Jedi said:

No you’ve misunderstood. This post is not because we lost. What many have been saying all season perfectly manifested itself today with our performance. I could have posted this after the point against West Brom or possibly Reading … and definitely Cardiff!

I'm actually happy for the moaners. Finally, something concrete to moan about. What a relief for them to have some pretense of being rational again.

I'm just sorry we haven't dropped out of the automatic promotion slots to put the icing on the cake for them.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, hogesar said:

Wait so fans have been unhappy, waiting for our defence to make stupid mistakes and us not to take several guilt edge chances - in advance of it happening?

And I'd have to say none of that is really the manager. Our finishing has generally been OK this season and we had one of better defensive records.

It’s the performance’s that any sensible person has been questioning, we were never going to keep winning playing like we were against better sides! ( and this was only Preston with 4 goals all season)  most could see this coming, some ( cough, you, cough ) apparently couldn’t!

Edited by wheres my rebate gone?

The irony of course being that the overall performance today wasn't terrible. We created some really good chance against the league's most stubborn bunch of sh1thousers and probably [should] have scored 4. The goals conceded were all awful from a defensive point of view but were basically down to individual errors.

Edited by Petriix
*she should
  • Like 7

Second in the league, (joint) second best attack and (joint) fourth best defence.

Statistically, we're also one of the most dominant teams in terms of attacking intent and xG for/against.

Performances haven't been amazing, but I think the extremely high expectation level is probably the biggest issue at play. Lots of fans are expecting us to win pretty much every game and play blistering football at the same time, but the Championship isn't an easy league and it's rare that a team walks the league. We've had two extraordinary seasons in each of our last two at this level, and some fans are seemingly now seeing this as the minimum requirement.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

There's been a few been laying low waiting for this result. It's like nobody can remember a championship season. To be fair it's three seasons since we saw one.

My opinion hasn't changed. I doubt we'll win the league, we could be promoted, and I've no idea who the top two will be. But we still have as much chance as anyone else. Unless anyone knows different...

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

There's been a few been laying low waiting for this result. It's like nobody can remember a championship season. To be fair it's three seasons since we saw one.

My opinion hasn't changed. I doubt we'll win the league, we could be promoted, and I've no idea who the top two will be. But we still have as much chance as anyone else. Unless anyone knows different...

Yep pretty fair.

11 minutes ago, Petriix said:

The irony of course being that the overall performance today wasn't terrible. We created some really good chance against the league's most stubborn bunch of sh1thousers and probably she have scored 4. The goals conceded were all awful from a defensive point of view but were basically down to individual errors.

Yes, parts of the performance were better than recent performances without the result..those that wanted more attacking got it, and I thought performances mattered more than the result according to some.. 

2 hours ago, Canary Jedi said:

Yes, “what’s the problem, we’re top of the league?” Lots of posts with this sentiment.

Think that’s more in response to people wanting the manager gone. This was a side that got battered last year and was completely outmatched.

No it hasn’t completely clicked yet, but we have injuries, a new formation and style and a decent amount of players who weren’t here last year.

Yes the performances haven’t been great across 90 mins and yes the confidence looks glass fragile at times still…but what do people expect given last years mental pounding? It hasn’t just been completely overcome in one summer.

The truth is most people deemed to be “happy” are just realistic that we are probably about where we were likely to be all things considered.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Canary Jedi said:

For those wearing rose coloured spectacles who have been wondering why so many fans are unhappy, that’s why. 

Today’s defeat was unnecessary, but also unsurprising.

First 20 mins until they scored were excellent. That’s what we want. But after yet another soft equaliser we fell apart. Preston lapped us up thank you very much. 4 goals all season. FOUR! And they get 3 gifts against us. 

Anyone who thinks that everything in the garden is rosy is simply deluded.

And yet, with gilt edged chances missed  by Pukki and a host of other great chances  fluffed not to mention the  2 horrible cack-ups at the back and you could argue we should’ve won the game comfortably.  But you cant win them all eh? Still level at the top and Sara looking mightily impressive! 🙂

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Clever Farke said:

And yet, with gilt edged chances missed  by Pukki and a host of other great chances  fluffed not to mention the  2 horrible cack-ups at the back and you could argue we should’ve won the game comfortably.  But you cant win them all eh? Still level at the top and Sara looking mightily impressive! 🙂

It’s the overall trend. I really want the team and manager to do well. But it feels like we’re in a false league position. Would love to be wrong but can’t see how we can continue to play like that each week and expect to get promoted. Feels like we’re being found out against well organised teams. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Clever Farke said:

If my Aunt had a wi……. And all that!

agree Sara looked good, probably not good enough in smith’s eyes to keep Ramsey on the bench unfortunately!

5 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

Is there anyone who thinks that?  Not to my knowledge.

But there’s some who will argue we’re dire and it’s all down to the wrong manager, others who can see there’s something there/that there’s mitigating circumstances (eg no left backs, other injuries) and that the guy deserves his chance. I think this is the ‘fighting ground’ if there is one.

Do our opponents not have injured players then? 

1 hour ago, Canary Jedi said:

It’s the overall trend. I really want the team and manager to do well. But it feels like we’re in a false league position. Would love to be wrong but can’t see how we can continue to play like that each week and expect to get promoted. Feels like we’re being found out against well organised teams. 

We've played worse than today this season and won, we've played better and lost.

The overall trend is that we dominate games but that a certain part of the support say they don't "feel it".

The issue over the last ten games is if we won we were lucky, if we drew we should have lost, we should have scored more goals, conceded less and been more attractive/entertaining to watch.

Today, one such poster responded to me saying nothing else matters other than the ball in the back of the net, because performance wise, we could have had 4-5 today and that wouldn't have been unfair.

At the end of the day, if positive results can't change how you feel, perhaps the issue isn't with what's happening on the pitch? I don't mean that harshly but look at the responses.

Nearly everyone admits that we are not route one merchants, we don't just hump it up the pitch at every given opportunity. Today, and in other spells of the other games we have played good, flowing football - just it's like a choking car and every so often breaks down and shudders... Consistency.

But then, perhaps folks forget that Omobamidele is 20, Aarons is experienced but still 22, Gibbs is 19, Nunez is 22, Sara is 23, Sargent is 22, Ramsey is 19. Two of those are in their first season of English/European football, one is in his first season of senior football as a serious senior squad member, another is in his first season of senior football at this level.

It's still a very young side out there, right down the core too. 20, 19, 19, 22. 

• Like 1

I thought yesterday's performance was one of the best of the season in terms of creativity and attack.

Sadly, we seem to have two options. Either we play dull, ugly football with our defence looking pretty solid on the whole or we open up and become more expansive but our team, and espcially our defence, loses concentration time and time again during the match.

Perhaps this is a problem all teams face?

18 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

I thought yesterday's performance was one of the best of the season in terms of creativity and attack.

Sadly, we seem to have two options. Either we play dull, ugly football with our defence looking pretty solid on the whole or we open up and become more expansive but our team, and espcially our defence, loses concentration time and time again during the match.

Perhaps this is a problem all teams face?

I think you're right. Good defensive play is dull and ugly. Good attacking play is attractive on the eye. I guess to do each well requires two different mindsets from the players and to transition smoothly between the two modes you need all of the players to transition harmoniously; if you're in an attacking mode and you lose the ball, but not all the players adjust to the changed requirements fast enough, that's when things fall over. 

I agree we could quite easily have been out of sight early on, but the worry for me was that Preston then changed tactics and played a higher line, and we were at a loss to play through them. I could see there goal coming and if I could see it, then the management surely saw it, yet we did nothing. When we did do something, it seemed we just threw players on in a hope of turning it around, yet there was no change in set up as such, apart from ending up with a 4-0-6 formation and losing what hint of a shape we had. I’m sorry, but after a year of him being here, I’m still, not convinced by Smith. I sincerely hope he rams my words straight back down my mouth, but  I can’t see it happening. 

• Thanks 2

I must admit that I had never taken much notice of Smith before he came here but I get the impression that he lost his dream job at Villa and his heart isn't really in it here. 

My other issue with him is that he thinks John Terry is a "good friend and great bloke". Really? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I must admit that I had never taken much notice of Smith before he came here but I get the impression that he lost his dream job at Villa and his heart isn't really in it here. 

My other issue with him is that he thinks John Terry is a "good friend and great bloke". Really? 

Best to get a second opinion on that, ask Wayne Bridge?

Edited by Midlands Yellow
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Second in the league, (joint) second best attack and (joint) fourth best defence.

Statistically, we're also one of the most dominant teams in terms of attacking intent and xG for/against.

Performances haven't been amazing, but I think the extremely high expectation level is probably the biggest issue at play. Lots of fans are expecting us to win pretty much every game and play blistering football at the same time, but the Championship isn't an easy league and it's rare that a team walks the league. We've had two extraordinary seasons in each of our last two at this level, and some fans are seemingly now seeing this as the minimum requirement.

I think the biggest factor at play is the unbelievable levels of sloppiness and complacency in some of our play and frankly the coaches should be more on top of that then they appear to be. Look at the way we stepped it up when chasing the game today. Snapping into tackles and moving the ball twice as fast. Suddenly looked dominant. They should be playing like that til the game is out of site not swanning around at 1-0 up or 1-1 like they only have to turn up to win.

10 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Before he agreed to take the Norwich job, Smith had said he was going to take some time out from management. Apparently, he felt enthusiastic enough about Norwich that he backtracked on that. 

As to John Terry, I've got friends who have been naughty boys in the past who are still friends as far as I'm concerned. It's fair enough being judgy about people in the news, but people you know and like in your own circles are a different kettle of fish. 

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

35 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Best to get a second opinion on that, ask Wayne Bridge?

Haha do you remember that joke about the England manager ringing Wayne Bridge to inform him that John Terry has lost the captain’s armband. Then he asks Wayne if he’d mind looking under his bed for it 😂

• Haha 1

"That" is why I love the Championship. The BBC report calls it a "wonderful" game and it was. Fabulously entertaining. I know we lost which is of course disappointing, but someone else referenced the Derby game at home during 2018-19 and this was indeed similar. Some quite bizarre incidents, including Byram not getting a red card, the ref not punishing any holding incidents until injury time just as Kenny scores etc. But Preston played very well, which people seem to be ignoring. Yes, Pukki missed two sitters. Yes, Krul gave them a couple of goals, but they took them really well and played some really good stuff.

I get that I'm in a minority of one but that was the best game I've seen for 3 years. Our defending was shocking (as was theirs) but we should still have won 6-3!

Hopefully, Dean Smith will finally listen to me and drop Krul and Ramsey for Gunn and Sara against Watford. If he's really listening he'll also play Gibson in a back three with Hanley and Omobamidele, using Aarons and Maclean as wingbacks and put Nunez in the 10 behind Pukki and Sargent with Gibbs holding. But I'm not holding my breath.

• Like 2