Sign in to follow this  
chicken

****The Official Lapps Match Thread v Preston (H/L) ****

We just aren't able to dominate in midfield. We can pass it about to make the stats look good but it isn't leading to us overpowering and dominating the opposition.

54 minutes ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

Nonsense

Somehow I don’t think so! I rest my case!

Edited by City 2nd

Ffs Aarons. Please track back like you actually care about winning the ball back, that’s two or three times this half. Just half hearted stuff after getting out of position - frustrating to see.

13 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

We just aren't able to dominate in midfield. We can pass it about to make the stats look good but it isn't leading to us overpowering and dominating the opposition.

We need a big strong midfielder. Someone tough, prehpas English. With a 'den' in there name..

Just now, 7HAR1980 said:

Would personally take off Nunez and Ramsey for Sara and Dowell. 

not a bad shout, that. Núñez really looks as though he needs a break.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

We need a big strong midfielder. Someone tough, prehpas English. With a 'den' in there name..

1 minute ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

You won’t see him before the World Cup! 

Feels a lot more joined up than it has done which I think is down to Sargent playing up top.

Midfield, particularly Nunez and Ramsey, pulling out of challenges hurting us though.

• Like 1

Just now, cambridgeshire canary said:

we definitely need a physical presence in midfield, unfortunately always a problem. Get knocked off ball to easily

We've not been absolutely awful but I stand by several players needing a rest. Nunez looks a bit dozy, Omo is having a positionally nightmarish game. Ramsey is looking a little timid too.

With the diamond we are asking a lot of McLean + Nunez to cover the opposition width in attack. Not a massive surprise Prestons danger is coming from the wide positions, but this is normal for a narrow diamond.

Interesting half that. The diamond gave us so much more threat and presence up front, summed up by the early goal, but it also meant we had no cover wide at all, which led to the equaliser, and to a great chance for Preston just before half time. I get why Smith tried it, but all in all I'm not sure it worked. In particular, we've really struggled to keep the ball, which you'd have thought was pretty key after we took the lead against a team who's barely scored all season. Far too frantic for my liking.

Also, I reckon Byram is quite lucky still to be on the pitch. Really bad tackle, studs up and high. As Bailey said on twitter, probably a red with VAR.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

We've not been absolutely awful but I stand by several players needing a rest. Nunez looks a bit dozy, Omo is having a positionally nightmarish game. Ramsey is looking a little timid too.

With the diamond we are asking a lot of McLean + Nunez to cover the opposition width in attack. Not a massive surprise Prestons danger is coming from the wide positions, but this is normal for a narrow diamond.

Nunez looking great with the passes but absoloute lack of any strength and psyicality letting him down he couldent fight his way out of a wet paper bag

Real mixed bag. The formation suits Sargent and we do look dangerous when we attack but its leaving Byram exposed down the left and our seemingly inherent sloppiness/lack of composure is not helping us. Should have been three up but since the goal (nobody tackles runners again - we don;t have anyone who can) Preston could equally have had another.

Ramsey completely of the pace and needs to come off for me. 

I still think we will win but i'm finding these sloppy performances increasingly frustrating to watch. It would be nice to have a strong 45 minutes. 

2 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Nunez looking great with the passes but absoloute lack of any strength and psyicality letting him down he couldent fight his way out of a wet paper bag

This formation asks a lot more of the wider central midfield players. If it were me I'd drop Ramsey and use Nunez as the free creativer player.

3 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Interesting half that. The diamond gave us so much more threat and presence up front, summed up by the early goal, but it also meant we had no cover wide at all, which led to the equaliser, and to a great chance for Preston just before half time. I get why Smith tried it, but all in all I'm not sure it worked. In particular, we've really struggled to keep the ball, which you'd have thought was pretty key after we took the lead against a team who's barely scored all season. Far too frantic for my liking.

Also, I reckon Byram is quite lucky still to be on the pitch. Really bad tackle, studs up and high. As Bailey said on twitter, probably a red with VAR.

I think he's a bit lucky too, caught him on the knee with his studs. Simon Lappin thinks that Browne kicked Sam's studs, he probably hasn't seen the replay.