The Bristol Nest

Unofficial Reading v Norwich match thread with all the news

Just now, Ian said:

Well said. Spoken like a true flat earther.

Never brought that up but whatever lol

weirdo 😂

1 minute ago, Jim Smith said:

Another strange one. Conceded during our best spell. Gibbs was excellent. Prefer the shape with the three midfielders but we need to move it quicker/be more direct final third. 

Agreed, but then I feel like Smith is trying to shoehorn Pukki in to a system that just doesn't suit him. A real conundrum.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, kirku said:

We just got outplayed by a side coached by Paul Ince. 

The performance wasn't good enough, as it hasn't been for many games already this season - regardless of the results. 

No. We. Weren’t.

At the end they were clearly holding on for the point - barely attempting to chase the ball out of their half, haring back to cover.  

Do some people even watch the game?  It was far from a classic, and far from a classic performance, but at the end they were happier at 1-1 than we were.

Edited by Branston Pickle
  • Like 3

Game after game I keep reading and hearing that “ Norwich can play better” etc,etc.

What if this is as good as it gets? Maybe we can’t play any better?
Perhaps the twenty minutes of good football against Blackpool was the peak of the season.

Everything suggests that the three teams that get promoted will almost entirely likely be back in the Championship the following season.

1 minute ago, Ian said:

Facts don't matter when you just can't get over your ex (manager)

Most of us watch football to be entertained. When was the last time you found us entertaining to watch?

• Like 1

Too slow in the build up. Yep we look excellent as we tap it around the pitch, but by then the opposition have all their players back. Still, we are joint top. But if we go up I can't see many out there tonight being up to PL standard. Probably best to take another trophy, extend the open top bus parade to take in Yarmouth, Lynn and a few other towns, then get ready for another go in 24/25. Certainly fill up the trophy cabinet, if nothing else.

Random thoughts

Gibbs was good.

If reading are the third best team in the championship then blimey. They looked a one dimensional long ball team.

It was Ramsay worst game so far.

I think we missed Todd

2 minutes ago, kirku said:

Most of us watch football to be entertained. When was the last time you found us entertaining to watch?

Saturday?  So we weren’t at our best but got a draw at the team in third. What are you going to do, cry about it?  

4 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

No. We. Weren’t.

At the end they were clearly holding on for the point - barely attempting to chase the ball out of their half, haring back to cover.  

Do some people even watch the game?  It was far from a classic, and far from a classic performance, but at the end they were happier at 1-1 than we were.

I could ask you the same thing.

We were fortunate to go in level at HT. Carroll had a point blank header saved, Ince was inches away from connecting with a Hoilett cross and Hendrick clipped the outside of the post with a shot from outside the box.

From there on we scored a fortuitous goal from a corner and created a decent chance for Sargent only to concede a few minutes later. From there on in there was lots of huffing and puffing but very little created from either side.

Edited by kirku

Well, I actually thought that was ok.  For me that was some of our better build up play at times than I’ve seen in earlier games. I thought we played better for that draw than we have on a lot of our previous wins .

Performance wise I was ok with that.

Just now, Branston Pickle said:

Saturday?  So we weren’t at our best but got a draw at the team in third. What are you going to do, cry about it?  

You enjoyed watching us win 1-0 against Blackpool when the service to Pukki amounted to him seizing on a dreadful backpass?

Must be easy to please some. I thought it was pretty dire.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PockthorpePete said:

Too slow in the build up. Yep we look excellent as we tap it around the pitch, but by then the opposition have all their players back. Still, we are joint top. But if we go up I can't see many out there tonight being up to PL standard. Probably best to take another trophy, extend the open top bus parade to take in Yarmouth, Lynn and a few other towns, then get ready for another go in 24/25. Certainly fill up the trophy cabinet, if nothing else.

Not going to totally disagree, but we should get promoted first and then consider who’s good enough - we have plenty of pointers on that from our recent visits!

3 minutes ago, kirku said:

Not sure I have ever watched Norwich and not found it entertaining, even when we were languishing in the bottom reaches of the Championship.

Came close to it last season, but Norwich are my team so will always watch and support with interest.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, PockthorpePete said:

What absolute rubbish.

I can think of three moments in the game where Reading were very close to scoring, aside from their goal.

How many similar moments can you recollect from Norwich? I can think of one.

Edited by kirku

3 minutes ago, kirku said:

I would ask you the same thing.

We were fortunate to go in level at HT. Carroll had a point blank header saved, Ince was inches away from connecting with a Hoilett cross and Hendrick clipped the outside of the post with a shot from outside the box.

From there on we scored a fortuitous goal from a corner and created a decent chance for Sargent only to concede a few minutes later. From there on in there was lots of huffing and puffing but very little created from either side.

You say fortuitous, I say Krul pulled off a great save. So what's not entertaining about that? Are you only entertained by 4-0 wins?

That was a major outlier tonight with the number of shots btw.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

2 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Thats exactly what they are , cry babies, entitled crybabies and Buh is the worst of them, he cant even pretend to present a case. 

2 minutes ago, kirku said:

You enjoyed watching us win 1-0 against Blackpool when the service to Pukki amounted to him seizing on a dreadful backpass?

Must be easy to please some. I thought it was pretty dire.

You are right, I would much rather see us playing wonderful flowing football and getting continually dicked in the Premier League.

Entitlement of the modern day football fan 

Just now, littleyellowbirdie said:

You say fortuitous, I say Krul pulled off a great save. So what's not entertaining about that? Are you only entertained by 4-0 wins?

I'm entertained by attacking possession football, which was traditionally our style. 

How would you describe our attacking gameplan today - or even under Smith in general - what patterns are we trying to create that are supposed to end up in goal scoring opportunities? How are we providing service for one of the best strikers in Championship history?

1 minute ago, kirku said:

I could ask you the same thing.

I can only presume yes. But there’s watching and watching.  We were not great first half, better second.

I don’t see why our goal was any more fortuitous than theirs? Players had shots on target, they went in (Krul badly messed up with theirs, but it wasn’t ‘fortuitous’, apparently).

But you are not talking about what I was - I said in the last ten we were the side looking for the winner. They weren’t, and were happy to stick with the point. Perhaps you missed that.  You clearly missed that this was what I was referring to.

Just now, kirku said:

I'm entertained by attacking possession football, which was traditionally our style. 

How would you describe our attacking gameplan today - or even under Smith in general - what patterns are we trying to create that are supposed to end up in goal scoring opportunities? How are we providing service for one of the best strikers in Championship history?

I’d describe Dean Smiths style as “throwing a plate of spaghetti bolognese at the wall”

Just now, Ian said:

You are right, I would much rather see us playing wonderful flowing football and getting continually dicked in the Premier League.

Entitlement of the modern day football fan 

We got "continually dicked in the Premier League" under Smith, Ian.

What have you seen from us this season to suggest that'd change if we were to get promoted?

2 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

Being half decently organised and physical is all it takes to completely stifle is. 

I'm sure it'll get better though right. 

The key is to do and say absolutely nothing and just be happy we are winning and don’t ask questions 

be grateful, ingrates!