chicken

****Official Lapps Match Thread v Bristol City (L/h) *****

29 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

A new CDM is a must for the January window, even if Hayden ever gets fit we cannot rely on him and him alone. 

Just because he’s had one bad injury, it in no way means he will be repeatedly injured. Obviously if it does happen again, we ought to consider contingency, but the years relying on Tettey show how hard it is to find a decent player for that role. 

29 minutes ago, WD40 said:

Fabulous bit of recruitment

Would you rather have one PL quality player or two Championship level? As long as he recovers, it will still be a very good signing. If we do go up, we have begun to build a PL side a season early.

59 minutes ago, unique said:

The prospect of promotion should give every NCFC supporter nightmares.

Surely just Deja Vu! 😉

McLean is not a holding midfielder but we generally get away with it at this level because he works exceptionally hard and tends to be ok on the ball.

Interesting he has been picked on again when he gave away the ball no more than anyone else, was instrumental in one of the goals and was generally left isolated because Nunez wanders.

Of course, the Smith Outers do need something to cling onto after 6 wins in a row....😅😅

11 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Just because he’s had one bad injury, it in no way means he will be repeatedly injured. Obviously if it does happen again, we ought to consider contingency, but the years relying on Tettey show how hard it is to find a decent player for that role. 

Would you rather have one PL quality player or two Championship level? As long as he recovers, it will still be a very good signing. If we do go up, we have begun to build a PL side a season early.

None of this rationality on here tonight thank you, we're all foaming at the mouth given we are an incohesive mess who have only *checks notes* won 6 matches in a row?!

Edited by Ian
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, cornish sam said:

He seems to do that when subbed then come back out to the bench. I'm guessing with his age, his bladder isn't what it used to be....

Tell me about it. ☹️

2 minutes ago, Ian said:

Not of this rationality on here tonight thank you, we're all foaming at the mouth given we are an incohesive mess who have only *checks notes* won 6 matches in a row?!

Imagine when we lose a game…

• Haha 1

i think I'd describe that performance as over-exuberant. Cantwell & Nunez were backheeling the ball like we were Barcelona or something. Which some of our play approached tonight: it was GORGEOUS, SUMPTUOUS & risky as hell. Those 2 in particular (& Teemu,, who is utter, utter class) were toying with the opposition - & they had the strength to go with it, first time in a while I've seen Todd so determined. The rest of the team were up for it as well, though Sarge was having one of his Bambi-on-ice games.

Cantwell was excellent for the first quarter then faded a bit, but Nunez did some stuff I've only seen in the PL, beating his markers by clever body movement & outthinking them. Lovely, lovely stuff - put me in mind of Wes, only not just reliant on sheer close control & corkscrewing his opponent into the ground. And he can tackle.

BUT lack of discipline nearly did for us. I really can't see us not getting promotion, not unless something unfathomably weird happens, but if we're going to make a fist of it next time then Smith has got to instil some discipline. Can he do it?? ...

God I enjoyed that though but. It's the sublime moments in football that keep me coming back, & there were plenty of those tonight. Not a game for the nervous of disposition; luckily I've become inured to The Norwich Way over the years, although I sometimes wonder what it's done for my life expectancy.

OTBC!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Ian said:

An incohesive mess that have won 6 on the bounce, scoring 13 and conceding 4.

Honestly, it is hilarious to see people continually double down on their stupidity and terrible judgement.

'I'm disappointed with the performance but I've not lost sight that it's 3 points again'

'there's lots of things we can do better as a team to keep developing'

At least Smith understands that the performances need to get much better.

I felt Pukki was struggling as the game progressed (looking tired and his touch was heavy) and I personally thought he should have been subbed in the earlier substitutions to allow Sarge to play centrally. I didn’t think McLean was bad tonight but the midfield issues seem to me to be not transitioning fast enough in attack and little to no coverage when defending, mainly the full backs not being covered by Nunez and Cantwell, they are both good in the attacking phases but not so good at covering, although Cantwell used a lot of energy in the first half recovering lost balls. I think Byram had a poor game tonight and once again failed to have an understanding with the right midfielder, particularly Onel who had words with him, like Cantwell did against Coventry. A very disjointed performance overall and I think Smith reacted too late to the sustained pressure at the end of the first half, BC played well once they recovered from the 2 sucker punch goals and overall I felt it was a lucky win. Six wins on the bounce speaks volumes though OTBC.

Just now, KeiranShikari said:

'I'm disappointed with the performance but I've not lost sight that it's 3 points again'

'there's lots of things we can do better as a team to keep developing'

At least Smith understands that the performances need to get much better.

No ****. We haven't hit the heights yet, and even if we had, even the very best will still find room for improvement.

That still doesn't equate with the hyperbole of us being an "incoherent mess" despite our recent record.

Out of interest, does anyone know how our current record compare to that of our title winning seasons?

25 minutes ago, hogesar said:

McLean is not a holding midfielder but we generally get away with it at this level because he works exceptionally hard and tends to be ok on the ball.

Interesting he has been picked on again when he gave away the ball no more than anyone else, was instrumental in one of the goals and was generally left isolated because Nunez wanders.

Of course, the Smith Outers do need something to cling onto after 6 wins in a row....😅😅

Heaven knows what they’ll be like when we lose.

….but we all know Bristol will be near the bottom of the table come May, it’s the only reason we won….

Edited by Branston Pickle
  • Like 3

Good win. Not so good performance.

The metronomic role Gibbs played so effectively looks to be our key area. The midfield just doesn't fire properly without it.

On the bright side, our strikers are scoring goals, we're still changing things from the bench and Sara looked determined to get himself starting. I am however bracing myself for an ACN moment on Saturday against struggling Brom- not just being negative, it's begging for WBA to turn up out of nowhere.

Fantastic win but probably our worst performance for some while.

Shockingly poor league and we should be pissing this league without breaking sweat.

Not sure the substitutes covered themselves in glory. Sinani and Dowell were shocking.

So Hanley was struggling with a shoulder injury for much of the match. That probably answers why Byram played so narrow and allowed them so much room. But no excuse why Byram was not given a bit more help. Overall though, as others have said, Brizzle decided to pile forward in a very risky way (showing no respect?) and left acres for Pukki & Co. to make hay. They effectively played into our hands even if they made our midfield look really brittle. 

So will other teams do a Brizzle, or will they park the bus. And which tactic would you prefer the opposition to use? We do seem to prefer the Brizzle way in terms of results.

Edited by shefcanary
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

So Hanley was struggling with a shoulder injury for much of the match. That probably answers why Byram played so narrow and allowed them so much room. But no excuse why Byram was not given a bit more help. Overall though, as others have said, Brizzle decided to pile forward in a very risky way (showing no respect?) and left acres for Pukki & Co. to make hay. They effectively played into our hands even if they made our midfield look really brittle. 

So will other teams do a Brizzle, or will they park the bus. And which tactic would you prefer the opposition to use? We do seem to prefer the Brizzle way in terms of results.

To be honest, they we gung ho in the press. They said they were going to turn us over... whoops! 

1 hour ago, Ian said:

Out of interest, does anyone know how our current record compare to that of our title winning seasons?

20/21 -17 points, after scoring 3 against Bristol City

2 September 2020 1 Huddersfield Town 0–1 Norwich City  
19 September 2020 2 Norwich City 2–2 Preston North End  
27 September 2020 3 Bournemouth 1–0 Norwich City  
3 October 2020 4 Norwich City 0–1 Derby County  
17 October 2020 5 Rotherham United 1–2 Norwich City  
20 October 2020 6 Norwich City 1–0 Birmingham City  
24 October 2020 7 Norwich City 2–1 Wycombe Wanderers  
27 October 2020 8 Brentford 1–1 Norwich City  
31 October 2020 9 Bristol City 1–3

Norwich City

• Thanks 1

2018/19 14 points

1 Birmingham City 2–2 Norwich City  
11 August 2018 2 Norwich City 3–4 West Bromwich Albion  
18 August 2018 3 Sheffield United 2–1 Norwich City  
22 August 2018 4 Norwich City 2–0 Preston North End  
25 August 2018 5 Norwich City 0–3 Leeds United  
2 September 2018 6 Ipswich Town 1–1 Norwich City  
15 September 2018 7 Norwich City 1–0 Middlesbrough  
19 September 2018 8 Reading 1–2 Norwich City  
22 September 2018 9 Queens Park Rangers 0–1 Norwich City  

so 14, then 17 and now 19......Smith out 😉

1 hour ago, ron obvious said:

i think I'd describe that performance as over-exuberant. Cantwell & Nunez were backheeling the ball like we were Barcelona or something. Which some of our play approached tonight: it was GORGEOUS, SUMPTUOUS & risky as hell. Those 2 in particular (& Teemu,, who is utter, utter class) were toying with the opposition - & they had the strength to go with it, first time in a while I've seen Todd so determined. The rest of the team were up for it as well, though Sarge was having one of his Bambi-on-ice games.

Cantwell was excellent for the first quarter then faded a bit, but Nunez did some stuff I've only seen in the PL, beating his markers by clever body movement & outthinking them. Lovely, lovely stuff - put me in mind of Wes, only not just reliant on sheer close control & corkscrewing his opponent into the ground. And he can tackle.

BUT lack of discipline nearly did for us. I really can't see us not getting promotion, not unless something unfathomably weird happens, but if we're going to make a fist of it next time then Smith has got to instil some discipline. Can he do it?? ...

God I enjoyed that though but. It's the sublime moments in football that keep me coming back, & there were plenty of those tonight. Not a game for the nervous of disposition; luckily I've become inured to The Norwich Way over the years, although I sometimes wonder what it's done for my life expectancy.

OTBC!

No but we got the job done , I think I'll be buying some just for men in the next couple of days though

7 minutes ago, PockthorpePete said:

2018/19 14 points

To be fair that shows that we lost to any decent team we played early on.  Bournemouth, WBA, Leeds and Sheffield United with only the draw against Brentford bucking that trend.  We haven't played anyone I'd expect to be top six yet.

Not saying that you're wrong, just tempering the statistical optimism somewhat.  There are green shoots but also some things to be concerned about still.  Let's hope it's just our usual shaky start and things will click as we get as players coming back ...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

McLean isn’t a DM. How does Smith need more evidence to see that?! It’s no surprise we’re so defensively exposed with Mr Pointy in the middle of the park. Need Hayden or Gibbs back ASAP.

Yeah but we got no other options at the mo ,so Kenny plays use your brain bruv

37 minutes ago, PockthorpePete said:

2018/19 14 points

Also worth considering the goals conceded and goals scored I feel.

After 9 games:
2018/19 - F:10, A:13
2020/21 - F:11. A:8
2022/23 - F:15, A:8

27 minutes ago, Barham Blitz said:

To be fair that shows that we lost to any decent team we played early on.  Bournemouth, WBA, Leeds and Sheffield United with only the draw against Brentford bucking that trend.  We haven't played anyone I'd expect to be top six yet.

Not saying that you're wrong, just tempering the statistical optimism somewhat.  There are green shoots but also some things to be concerned about still.  Let's hope it's just our usual shaky start and things will click as we get as players coming back ...

Also worth noting that was Farke's 2nd season and one where we had sold Maddison and others in the summer and had to rebuild the side really. In fairness, it's probably quite comparable to where we are now in terms of having to bring in new players to build more for the future in terms of the next 2+ seasons. We hadn't found our rhythm by game 9 of that season, though the defensive frailties were there to be seen. 

I think what is more interesting, for me at least, is the comparison to 2020-21. We have conceded the same number but scored more and are two points better off. We haven't played a fellow relegated side yet. Though I feel the start of that season was also impacted by the issues off the field of Buendia and Cantwell.

Equally though, as I have said elsewhere, very easy to get carried away with who should be considered a tough side at this point in the season.

If you look at that season, the likes of Huddersfield and Bournemouth would have been considered tough. Brentford were solid operators at this level but perhaps not shown quite the levels they did to go up.

You could have been forgiven for thinking Huddersfield would be a tough prospect this season having just missed out on promotion at the final hurdle of the play off final, but as things stand, they're really hanging.

I'd say get a third of the season out of the way and we'll have a better idea  of the lay of the land. 

7 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

Nothing to do with injuries, but more the nonsense that we STILL only have 1 natural player in this area, the fact that he's a bit of a sicknote aids the reasoning for needing another player here. 

It is interesting to compare to the last two championship campaigns.

We’re clearly in the best spot, but with one of the lower rates of player turnover (particularly with respect to established key players where we’ve lost no one), and the best run of fixtures of the 3. On the other hand we are missing Buendia the which is huge, and have some key injuries which were yet to hinder us to the same extent in the former two seasons. There’s clearly plenty to credit Smith over here.

I think that Bristol away game at the same point under Farke 2 years ago was probably the first where we looked really, really strong in the championship again. A wonderful goal from Buendia and at least one good finish of two from Pukki, all in the first half, looking an absolute menace breaking forwards, the true return of Farkeball for the season.

We’re yet to have the equivalent ‘Smithball’ performance this year, although the Millwall and Coventry games were impressive in long spells and solid wins- they’ve not quite had that x-factor about them, it certainly hasn’t felt like a team playing at the peak of its powers yet. That Bristol 3-1 away game definitely did. I’m excited to see what we can offer when/if we do reach top gear!

Anyone get stuck behind that stranded artic lorry? builders van blocking it from being able to exit Lower Clarence Road. Or was that your builder's van? Can imagine getting out of the car parks was not fun.

3 hours ago, Ken Hairy said:

Nothing to do with injuries, but more the nonsense that we STILL only have 1 natural player in this area, the fact that he's a bit of a sicknote aids the reasoning for needing another player here. 

Only fair to acknowledge that Gibbs is a decent deputy. Pretty bad luck that they're both injured 

1 hour ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

We’re yet to have the equivalent ‘Smithball’ performance this year, although the Millwall and Coventry games were impressive in long spells and solid wins- they’ve not quite had that x-factor about them, it certainly hasn’t felt like a team playing at the peak of its powers yet. That Bristol 3-1 away game definitely did. I’m excited to see what we can offer when/if we do reach top gear

I completely agree that we're yet to hit top gear yet, but I also wonder whether people are setting themselves up for disappointed if they're expecting us to have Farkeball-like performances. Smith seems less obsessed with possession than Daniel, and I doubt we'll ever control games in the way we did under DF. He seems to be more about transitions, and breaking at pace. What I'm hoping is that that approach is more sustainable if we do get promoted...

• Like 1