Sign in to follow this  
CANARYKING

New floodlights

I sit halfway up the “ Jarrold “ , dazzled by those new lights, should have a health warning, might have to wear a flat cap next week.

Same here, not my usual seat thank goodness but those lights are dazzling if you happen to cast your eyes up towards the roof of the City stand, it will be even worse when its dark. 

I sat in the City Stand last night (usually sit in the South Stand) and my god when the ball got caught in the lights it was impossible to actually track it.  They are painfully bright.  Not looking forward to next week in my usual seat with the lights in the City Stand right in my eye line.

They light the crowd as well as the pitch. Not sure how adjustable they are so it may be an issue for some.

Make the old ones look like Luton's Kenilworth Rd.

Maybe they should have installed a dimmer switch! 

All this talk of brightness reminds me of THAT thread with a certain, late of this parish, poster. Quality.

If you know you know! 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I sit in the city stand and I can still see the lights this morning if I shut my eyes. Surely they are at the wrong angle? 

I’m a bit concerned about these lights, on tv you are constantly warned about flash photography etc. Is the problem the height of the stand the problem?

2 hours ago, Greavsy said:

Maybe they should have installed a dimmer switch! 

All this talk of brightness reminds me of THAT thread with a certain, late of this parish, poster. Quality.

If you know you know! 😉

Ifollow what you are saying Greavsy. 😂

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Ifollow what you are saying Greavsy. 😂

I can(t) see what you mean there! 

1 hour ago, Captain Holt said:

Well I sat in the lower river end and didn't even notice so keep that whinging a comin'

If you sat opposite them you’d understand 

I usually sit in lower river end but sat in Geoffrey Watling last night for a change.  As has been said the lights on Jarrolds stand were almost in my eye line and dazzlingly bright. Must have been worse for those sitting further back.  Glad I won’t be sitting there in future.  Had they been properly tested?

• Thanks 1

Alright everyone, chill out, I'm on it! 😉

Let me talk to the panel and see how we want to approach it.

Strength in numbers, though – if anyone else had an issue with them then please post on this thread, so we can get a better idea of the scale of the issue from a fan perspective.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Feedthewolf said:

Alright everyone, chill out, I'm on it! 😉

Let me talk to the panel and see how we want to approach it.

Strength in numbers, though – if anyone else had an issue with them then please post on this thread, so we can get a better idea of the scale of the issue from a fan perspective.

I have been sitting in the Lower Barclay for 20 years, and even before this season the floodlilghts were so strong (and at such an angle) that I sometimes wore a cap to night games, to offset the dazzzle.

I am quite sure the club's view will be that the new lights are required for broadcast (and goalline technology)

2 minutes ago, NewNestCarrow said:

I have been sitting in the Lower Barclay for 20 years, and even before this season the floodlilghts were so strong (and at such an angle) that I sometimes wore a cap to night games, to offset the dazzzle.

I am quite sure the club's view will be that the new lights are required for broadcast (and goalline technology)

Thanks for the insight. I guess it can't do any harm for the club to explain that, though, if it's causing the matchday experience to be less enjoyable for some fans. They really did seem excessively bright to me, every time my eyeline followed the ball into the lights I was getting an afterimage for some time afterwards. I'm guessing such lights couldn't do any permanent damage to the retina, though, otherwise there would be lawsuits aplenty!

2 hours ago, mastoola said:

I couldnt sleep for hours after the match last night   Must be the blue light thingy

Maybe the excitement that we actually won a game?😁

It was simply horrible looking out from the South stand.  I hope they can be adjusted as it ruins the enjoyment of the game.

• Thanks 1

I thought the lights were upgraded a few years ago when we were promoted as a Premier League stipulation to help the TV filming.  They were noticeably brighter then but nothing like last night.

Glad I’m not paying the electricity bill!!

26 minutes ago, Myra Hawtree said:

I thought the lights were upgraded a few years ago when we were promoted as a Premier League stipulation to help the TV filming.  They were noticeably brighter then but nothing like last night.

Glad I’m not paying the electricity bill!!

It’s the extra ones that are the problem 

Has the club got in lighting suited to big grounds like Emirates, Old Trafford, Anfield etc. but using them with something as small as the City Stand is OTT? Another reason to replace the City Stand pdq?