Sign in to follow this  
The Great Mass Debater

Where does Smith need to be in 10 games?

Where does Smith need to be in 10 games time?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. 10 games into a season is when we sack managers at this club, so where does Smith need to be to be on target?

• Second
    • Play-off postion
    • Top half
    • Anywhere, he is bullet-proof for this season

My fantasy is that Everton sack Lampard after a poor start and the dirty rotten b*stards go and steal Dean Smith from under our noses. 

To answer the question, I think anything less than 15 points - 4 wins, 3 draws, 4 defeats - and he's close to the edge, especially since our starting fixtures hardly look the most challenging.

Is there an element of Smith being invincible?

Hear me out - Farke got sacked because Webber refused to accept his signings were dogsh it and backed his new signings over the manager.

If Smith gets sacked after 10 games a la Farke, then Webber has to accept that, in addition to player recruitment, he got manager recruitment wrong as well. 

Cant have that can we? So is there an element of Smith being invincible for a while because Webber's reputation depends on it, and he has form for being unable to admit when he gets things wrong?

We need to see a lot more than yesterday, clearly….a slow start in game 1 isn’t the end of the world as long as there is a positive reaction.  Two points per game is the target, so anything approaching that and we’re ok.

The flip side is how ‘bad’ does it need to be to get shot…

Edited by Branston Pickle

But even if we sack Smith (which I doubt we will as we seem to give managers as much time as possible) we'll still have this Board, and Webber, pulling the strings on transfers.

And then there's the small decision of who they appoint, so it may not be a fans favourite!

4 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Hear me out - Farke got sacked because Webber refused to accept his signings were dogsh it and backed his new signings over the manager.

If Smith gets sacked after 10 games a la Farke, then Webber has to accept that, in addition to player recruitment, he got manager recruitment wrong as well. 

Cant have that can we? So is there an element of Smith being invincible for a while because Webber's reputation depends on it, and he has form for being unable to admit when he gets things wrong?

I see your argument, and that's why I think Smith will survive a mediocre start (15 or so points from 11 games). But a disastrous start (e.g. 2-3-6 and 9 points) and I don't see how Webber could keep him in position.

8 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

The flip side is how ‘bad’ does it need to be to get shot…

As I said above, to sack Smith, Webber has to admit he made a mistake in firing Farke and hiring Smith as his replacement. Sacking Smith is an admission that as a result of his actions we were no better in the Premier League and ditched the best manager there is for the job of getting out of the Championship.

That's a lot of humility. Humility I see little evidence he has. So if Smith doesnt get the team performing, this could go on for quite a while and could get quite nasty

Well, if you use our last two promotions as the benchmarks, then we have to be at least in the playoff zone after 10 (as we were in 18/19 and 20/21). 

A lot depends on the three amigos - Hayden, Sara and Nunez (when he arrives) - and when they are fit. 

Hopefully, they're better than the last three big signings we made...

OTBC

2 minutes ago, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

Well, if you use our last two promotions as the benchmarks, then we have to be at least in the playoff zone after 10 (as we were in 18/19 and 20/21). 

A lot depends on the three amigos - Hayden, Sara and Nunez (when he arrives) - and when they are fit. 

Hopefully, they're better than the last three big signings we made...

OTBC

Looking at the results of the poll so far, it seems there's a huge majority saying that we have to be in the play-off places or he should go. I actually think that we're quite likely to hit that target given the relatively easy run of games we have, but by no means guaranteed. We are still looking like a club in terminal decline. Of course, it won't be terminal and at some point we'll bottom out, but just when we hit rock-bottom and start going up again, I'm not sure.

I agree that so much is hanging on Los Trios Estupendos. Hope they're not Los Trios Estúpidos!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

I agree that so much is hanging on Los Trios Estupendos. Hope they're not Los Trios Estúpidos!

"Wherever there is injustice, you will find us.

Wherever there is suffering, we'll be there. 

Wherever liberty is threatened, you will find... Together: The Three Amigos!"

El Niño Prodigio Invisible image.jpeg.b37f767602c3f9fc13a85d448ccc7863.jpeg

El Payaso con Gelatina Para Pies Joshua Sargent Statistics | Premier League

¡Corre Forrest Corre Milot Rashica Norwich City Midfielder, Profile & Stats | Premier League

OTBC

• Haha 2

56 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

I can’t see us sacking him after 10 games unless we are bottom or something similar personally. We haven’t even finished our transfer business yet so agree Webber’s in the firing line if Smith needs to be sacked for either poor player recruitment/manager recruitment or both.

1 minute ago, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

"Wherever there is injustice, you will find us.

Wherever there is suffering, we'll be there. 

Wherever liberty is threatened, you will find... Together: The Three Amigos!"

El Niño Prodigio Invisible image.jpeg.b37f767602c3f9fc13a85d448ccc7863.jpeg

El Payaso con Gelatina Para Pies Joshua Sargent Statistics | Premier League

¡Corre Forrest Corre Milot Rashica Norwich City Midfielder, Profile & Stats | Premier League

OTBC

You can see them in a spaghetti western, coming over the hill to rescue the town

1 minute ago, Monty13 said:

I can’t see us sacking him after 10 games unless we are bottom or something similar personally. We haven’t even finished our transfer business yet so agree Webber’s in the firing line if Smith needs to be sacked for either poor player recruitment/manager recruitment or both.

So why does he get more time than Farke?

Farke was sacked after being given a new 4 year contract. On the back of a (record?) title-winning season with Norwich. His second. On the back of having turned around a losing mentality - no mean feat - and after having finally made the academy blossom, something which has been the holy grail for years on end. On the back of having instilled an identity and philosophy throughout the club.

On a foundation of that record Farke got 11 games.

Smith so far has done squat for the club. Tell me why he gets longer.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

So why does he get more time than Farke?

Farke was sacked after being given a new 4 year contract. On the back of a (record?) title-winning season with Norwich. His second. On the back of having turned around a losing mentality - no mean feat - and after having finally made the academy blossom, something which has been the holy grail for years on end. On the back of having instilled an identity and philosophy throughout the club.

On a foundation of that record Farke got 11 games.

Smith so far has done squat for the club. Tell me why he gets longer.

I’m not saying he should necessarily, I’m saying I think he will.

2 hours ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

I wrote something similar a few months back. Webber is backed into a very tricky corner so Smith will get plenty of time.

Smith needs to be somewhere in the Midlands tending to his garden and doing some decorating

• Like 1

Unfortunately, just as we can't unsign Rashica and Sargent, we can't unsack Farke.

The playoffs is an absolute minimum for there to remain a pretence that the project is still happening. Otherwise it's clear that the wheels have fallen off and something needs to change. But, again, it would be change for the sake of change.

Ironically, last season there was no such pressure. We were favourites for relegation. Last place, while disappointing, was not an abject failure.

But who could we possibly replace Smith with, and why would we expect his replacement to do any better? 

The damage is done. It's now a case of waiting to see how deep we sink. There's still a vague hope that lighting could strike for a second time and Sara becomes the new Buendia...