TIL 1010

Looks Like Michael Foulger IS Selling To The Yanks.

https://www.pinkun.com/sport/norwich-city/ncfc-canaries-confirm-attanasio-american-investment-talks-brewers-9164860

Well before The Guild Of Fag Packet Accountants get to work it appears Michael Foulger spun my source a yarn about not selling his shares ( not once but twice ).

It will be interesting to see how the club benefits financially with what appears on the face of it a transaction with the club receiving nothing.

Edited by TIL 1010
  • Like 2

Oh dear Tilly, how can I ever trust you again?

It does seen this is a slow but sure takeover then...... 

• Haha 1

I imagine the club won't benefit initially but with a long-term view to a takeover..

FWIW Til the only person I knew with any link to Foulger told me he was looking for a way out which is why I was so certain at the time but he has been consistently unreliable so who knows.

Edited by hogesar

1 minute ago, shefcanary said:

Oh dear Tilly, how can I ever trust you again?

It does seen this is a slow but sure takeover then...... 

Hang around shef as within an hour or two i think we know who will be popping up with their take on it including the share price. 😜

1 minute ago, hogesar said:

I imagine the club won't benefit initially but with a long-term view to a takeover..

Sooner rather than later i hope.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

https://www.pinkun.com/sport/norwich-city/ncfc-canaries-confirm-attanasio-american-investment-talks-brewers-9164860

Well before The Guild Of Fag Packet Accountants get to work it appears Michael Foulger spun my source a yarn about not selling his shares ( not once but twice ).

It will be interesting to see how the club benefits financially with what appears on the face of it a transaction with the club receiving nothing.

Well, the story says Foulger made the approach six months ago. He might have changed his mind more recently. But sources sometimes lie and sometimes they pass on what they think is genuine information when actually they have totally got the wrong of the stick. Two or more sources saying the same thing are ideal for safety.

But if Foulger is selling and it is the first stage in a takeover then because of the 30 per cent rule (which I know I don't need to explain to posters🤓) the price will potentially be significant.

Good to see that the Club have at least made an outline statement. If it had happened 2 months ago Tilly wouldn't have been embarrassed.

I stand next to Michael Jr. I’ll see what I can find out at the Wigan game although he’s usually quite cagey. 

• Like 3

My take on this is as a result of a question asked from the floor somebody and it is not clear who responded with this news.

Is a Q and A 400 miles from Norwich to a limited number of our fanbase on a Sunday morning in a hotel the place to make such an announcement which has such a influence on our club moving forward ?

An official press release from Carrow Road with all parties involved aware it was going to happen would have been the correct PR as my feeling is Archant and The Athletic will now go chasing both Foulger and the americans for comments and they may well be caught on the hop as neither were in Jockland.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

But if Foulger is selling and it is the first stage in a takeover then because of the 30 per cent rule (which I know I don't need to explain to posters🤓) the price will potentially be significant.

If MWJ changes from Woodbines to Dunhill we will know there's  something in it.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, essex canary said:

Good to see that the Club have at least made an outline statement. If it had happened 2 months ago Tilly wouldn't have been embarrassed.

So embarrassed i started the thread but the king of embarrassing posts we will leave to you.

I'm know little about shares but if the club are talking about new investment, that can't just be Foulger selling his shares as, they are his share, so he gets the money not the club.

Maybe it's buy these and we release more to give them more controll or maybe, if they are as thorough and committed as they sound perhaps they are buying these to get on the board to learn how the football business works here before obtaing control in 2 or 3 years

7 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

My take on this is as a result of a question asked from the floor somebody and it is not clear who responded with this news.

Is a Q and A 400 miles from Norwich to a limited number of our fanbase on a Sunday morning in a hotel the place to make such an announcement which has such a influence on our club moving forward ?

An official press release from Carrow Road with all parties involved aware it was going to happen would have been the correct PR as my feeling is Archant and The Athletic will now go chasing both Foulger and the americans for comments and they may well be caught on the hop as neither were in Jockland.

It's possible that this rather bizarre location for announcing such pretty historic news could be that further stories / information was about to break and the club felt they had little to lose by finally making a public comment on the matter rather than continuing with their silence? Either way at least it confirms that the interest is still alive and set to bear some fruition. Of course the devil will be in the final detail. IF the American intention is honourable then I welcome it.

Will be begging yanks to take over in next 3 seasons, without promotion cost of championship football will see self funding folly exposed as not sufficient for the effective running of an ambitious football club.  Might just suit an unambitios club,  would fit Delia's wishes as she holds onto her trainset.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Sorry but this reads like someone who feels jilted they weren't there.

Someone asked a question and it was answered, at a Q&A. I suspect that the fact they answered such a question with "coming weeks" suggests that it was all inevitably going to break soon. And whilst they have said something, they haven't said a lot.

Storm in a tea cup sir. The US folks will be more than ready for any such onslaught having been part of a sports club for 20yrs, they'll be used to it. 

• Like 2

Innocent question here but how did those fans up in Edinburgh get to hear about this session in the hotel and get invited? The club had not gone public before with an announcement of an event as far as I know.

5 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

Innocent question here but how did those fans up in Edinburgh get to hear about this session in the hotel and get invited? The club had not gone public before with an announcement of an event as far as I know.

I think it was announced on their website a week or so ago. Could be wrong, but I'm sure I saw it announced. 

Edit: Pheew, not going mad - https://www.canaries.co.uk/content/norwich-city-to-host-fan-event-in-scotland

Edited by chicken

7 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

It was widely publicised on the official site, pretty sure it was on the pinkun and was definitely discussed on here - people were ‘concerned’ about the free bacon sarnies and it being overrun by dodgy Scots after a freebie; there’s certainly nothing ‘dodgy/cliquey’ about it.  You must have just missed it.

Edited by Branston Pickle
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

Yes they did, was widely advertised they even had free bacon rolls apparently. 

3 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

It was widely publicised on the official site, pretty sure it was on the pinkun and was definitely discussed on here - people were ‘concerned’ about the free bacon sarnies and it being overrun by dodgy Scots after a freebie; there’s certainly nothing ‘dodgy/cliquey’ about it.  You must have just missed it.

Definitely did - thank you / Chicken for pointing me in the right direction.  

27 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Considering the excitability of the audience for this sort of news it is probably good practice. Leak out gently a few inconsequential titbits to reduce the pressure for something more substantive. I wouldn't feel so bad about it @TIL 1010, sources often mislead or are misled in this sort of situation.

So further response to Tilly here really.

The press could have been chasing them ever since they were spotted at a match. My suggesting is that everything so far has been careful planning.

I've said it before, but why would you put such a large party in plain view out in the open at a football game when the journalists there will often look to see get a picture of Delia, her nephew Tom or anyone of note. They could have sat them anywhere in the ground or even placed them in a box. I would suggest at this point that it was a test the water to see what the reception would be. The press ran pieces on the various people present, their history with the sports team they already run and how long they have been part of that.

It's been months, the questions haven't died down. Yet almost two weeks ago they announced this fan Q&A, probably in part to reward traveling fans.

Here's what doesn't make sense.

Tilly suggests that they should have consulted PR before making such statements in Scotland. That is based upon the assumption that they hadn't consulted PR or that this isn't part of some form of PR. What intrigues me more than anything is those present. Michael Wyn-Jones was part of the panel. Now, if he and Delia were so against investment, or even this investment specifically I don't think it would have happened. The PR brief would have been give them the same old "we are talking to a US based group and that is all we can confirm at this time". 

The fact that they didn't doesn't seem like some off the cuff, too excited and splurged it out on impulse type of thing. In many ways it makes sense. 

A couple of others including Purple had already suggested perhaps we would hear more after our last friendly. Perhaps even when the window shuts, so signings aren't impact in terms of clubs pushing up prices thinking that investment means more money for us to spend.

I don't think someone has leaked this or let it slip. I think this is part of a wider PR plan.

I'm glad that I was sitting down when I read this thread title. Having been one of the sources of speculation about Michael Foulger's financial situation, I was quite puzzled by the strength of Tilly's denial that Foulger was looking to sell his shares.

I will wait to see this confirmed before I start saying "I told you so." - face, egg and all that.

A question for those with Legal expertise:

It looks likely that the tragic death of the two pest control operatives on the eve of Banham Poultry going bust will result in a Corporate Manslaughter charge. Might this have implications for Michael Foulger's financial situation? I know that Directors can take out insurance against this sort of thing, but it might get messy.

1 hour ago, TIL 1010 said:

So embarrassed i started the thread but the king of embarrassing posts we will leave to you.

I am not sure how 'fag packet' detectives are?

Just that their predictions aren't as dazzling as their shirts to put it mildly.

100 per cent with you on the PR and Scotland issue.

• Thanks 1

Further thoughts:

Going slightly more public at this point perhaps also suggests the other signing Deano discussed is just about done, why else would Webber not be at today's match or up a mountain?

As far as Foulger’s financial and legal position is concerned, perhaps it is also that the other Director / Shareholders have given him a gentle prod to exit from the club given the tarnishing of his image? We know how image is very important to Delia. it may not be a direct causal effect?

They asked for an innovative manager with new ideas and the got it, they asked for a hard headed outsider to run the club, and they got it. They’ve been asking for external investment, and it’s on its way. Oh ah ! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chicken said:

So further response to Tilly here really.

The press could have been chasing them ever since they were spotted at a match. My suggesting is that everything so far has been careful planning.

I've said it before, but why would you put such a large party in plain view out in the open at a football game when the journalists there will often look to see get a picture of Delia, her nephew Tom or anyone of note. They could have sat them anywhere in the ground or even placed them in a box. I would suggest at this point that it was a test the water to see what the reception would be. The press ran pieces on the various people present, their history with the sports team they already run and how long they have been part of that.

It's been months, the questions haven't died down. Yet almost two weeks ago they announced this fan Q&A, probably in part to reward traveling fans.

Here's what doesn't make sense.

Tilly suggests that they should have consulted PR before making such statements in Scotland. That is based upon the assumption that they hadn't consulted PR or that this isn't part of some form of PR. What intrigues me more than anything is those present. Michael Wyn-Jones was part of the panel. Now, if he and Delia were so against investment, or even this investment specifically I don't think it would have happened. The PR brief would have been give them the same old "we are talking to a US based group and that is all we can confirm at this time". 

The fact that they didn't doesn't seem like some off the cuff, too excited and splurged it out on impulse type of thing. In many ways it makes sense. 

A couple of others including Purple had already suggested perhaps we would hear more after our last friendly. Perhaps even when the window shuts, so signings aren't impact in terms of clubs pushing up prices thinking that investment means more money for us to spend.

I don't think someone has leaked this or let it slip. I think this is part of a wider PR plan.

I agree with that. We were certainly burned last time with Cullum going public with a "£24m takeover" smack bang in the middle of the summer transfer window,, so it would make sense to delay any announcement that has a $ sign and lots of noughts in it until September 2, or until we have completed all our permanent - as opposed to loan - deals.

I am pretty sure the release of news is being orchestrated by the club, which indicates they have some control over events and are not rushing or being rushed into a deal. There are any number of unanswered questions on how we got as far as this, and on the detail, and the long-term plan beyond any purchase of Foulger's shares, but overall the signs are hopeful, to the dismay of some posters...