Sign in to follow this  
GodlyOtsemobor

England's hideous world cup shirt.

The country's flag is red and white. Where the **** does so much blue come from?  Always bugs me that.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

The country's flag is red and white. Where the **** does so much blue come from?  Always bugs me that.

Same here. Still think the best shirt we've had in a long time is the one with the red cross on the shoulder. 

• Like 1

Again I’ll ask the question, where is there blue in the English flag? Surely our first team should always be red shirts with white shorts & socks! I really dislike the blue and white kits!

Edited by Indy

Just now, Indy said:

Again I’ll ask the question, where is there blue in the English flag? Surely our first team should always be red shirts with white socks! I really dislike the blue and white kits!

Same as the orange in the Dutch flag, I guess. Or the white in the German one. 😉

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Same as the orange in the Dutch flag, I guess. Or the white in the German one. 😉

Or Yellow in the Italian WWII one.

Edited by keelansgrandad

5 minutes ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

Bring back the grey one from 96 

Or the red one from '66

• Like 1

Supposedly England wear white shirts because the early England teams wore a cricket shirt to play in.

I think the appeal of the red shirts white shorts is that is what we won the World Cup in but do agree it does have a bit more passion about it.

23 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

The German national team in 1900 played in white as the German Emperor standard was white, yellow and black and the Dutch use orange as a historical nod to the old Royal family ! There’s normally a good link to national team colours but as above if it’s because they wore cricket shirts……..

1 hour ago, shefcanary said:

It's a cunning plan to trick Scottish fans into supporting England. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Indy said:

The German national team in 1900 played in white as the German Emperor standard was white, yellow and black and the Dutch use orange as a historical nod to the old Royal family ! There’s normally a good link to national team colours but as above if it’s because they wore cricket shirts……..

Sure, but they're not in the flag, which was the initial comment. Come to think of it, Australia and South Africa wear gold, that's not in their flags. The majority of England kits have been navy blue and white for as long as I can remember apart from that one with the red cross on the shoulder and that Umbro greyish one.

Although I'd say brown would be a suitable colour considering some of the performances.

Is it probably linked to clothes rationing after the war? I noted from the Norwich archives that the club had to appeal to fans for their clothing tokens to ensure the team had enough kit! Perhaps blue was the only colour of shorts other than black / white that you could get with your ration card. 

I mean, I probably should be shocked, but part of me isn't, that people don't know where the blue comes from. The blue comes from the England crest as seen on the shirts, right there in front of you...

England Logo and symbol, meaning, history, PNG
The "three lions on the shirt"

Blue actually has a lot of historical relevance to England, the Plantagenet coat of arms features blue heavily too (Edward III):
Coat of Arms of Edward III (Illustration) - World History Encyclopedia
Features of this are retained in the Queen's coat of arms. Though the fleur de lis has gone - which is the French/Norman connection. 

At least that's my guess... 

Edited by chicken
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, chicken said:

I mean, I probably should be shocked, but part of me isn't, that people don't know where the blue comes from. The blue comes from the England crest as seen on the shirts, right there in front of you...

England Logo and symbol, meaning, history, PNG
The "three lions on the shirt"

Blue actually has a lot of historical relevance to England, the Plantagenet coat of arms features blue heavily too (Edward III):
Coat of Arms of Edward III (Illustration) - World History Encyclopedia
Features of this are retained in the Queen's coat of arms. Though the fleur de lis has gone - which is the French/Norman connection. 

At least that's my guess... 

Isn't that a kind of chicken and the egg (forgive me) comment.  The 3 lions on the plantagenet crest are gold. When did England first use blue lions (wtf!) as the crest. My guess would be after someone settled for blue ****ing shorts and thought it would be on brand to match the crest to the shorts!

44 minutes ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

Bring back the grey one from 96 

Three lions on a shirt

Just near where it says Umbro

The white one shows the dirt

The grey one not as much though

(genuine alternative lyrics by David Baddiel)

• Haha 1

The 3 lions should actually be an issue for the English as they represent French, or more specifically Norman (Norse/Viking) heritage. Our Crest if using this, should be red and gold, which was used by Richard the Lion Heart and Henry, William the Conqueror (although only 2 lions at that time) before him. Our crest should really be from the House of Wessex, who united the counties to create England. Which I believe is Blue with Gold (5 Gold birds). I may be completely wrong, and I'm sure someone will shoot me down in a way befitting if i am!

My sources, are: The Last Kingdom (netflix) Vikings (netflix) Kingdom of heaven (movie) Braveheart (movie) 

• Haha 1

There isn't any proof this is the actual kit though is there.  Looks more like a training shirt to me, especially with how unfitted it is.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OTBC06 said:

The 3 lions should actually be an issue for the English as they represent French, or more specifically Norman (Norse/Viking) heritage. Our Crest if using this, should be red and gold, which was used by Richard the Lion Heart and Henry, William the Conqueror (although only 2 lions at that time) before him. Our crest should really be from the House of Wessex, who united the counties to create England. Which I believe is Blue with Gold (5 Gold birds). I may be completely wrong, and I'm sure someone will shoot me down in a way befitting if i am!

My sources, are: The Last Kingdom (netflix) Vikings (netflix) Kingdom of heaven (movie) Braveheart (movie) 

Eeek! Those really aren't great sources! 

Just now, First Wazzock said:

I'll get my tin hat out...

May be an image of text that says "ENGLAND WOMEN CAMC Three irons on a shirt"

Tilly already posted this sexist tosh. Put your tin hat away, then think before you post for a cheap laugh from your intended audience. You’re better than that and think of the offence you’re potentially causing to female supporters on here. Not sure Diane would feel this is respectful. When you post this stuff you may as well message her and say ‘I don’t respect you’ 

• Sad 1

About time we modernised the badge maybe something to suite the current English ideology! 

image.jpeg.aa537ec12c31d1bbe843ef898b243a4f.jpeg

3 minutes ago, SwearyCanary said:

Tilly already posted this sexist tosh. Put your tin hat away, then think before you post for a cheap laugh from your intended audience. You’re better than that and think of the offence you’re potentially causing to female supporters on here. Not sure Diane would feel this is respectful. When you post this stuff you may as well message her and say ‘I don’t respect you’ 

Wow, I do the ironing in my house, my wife hates it so I take it on and have for 27 years of marriage! 

54 minutes ago, chicken said:

Eeek! Those really aren't great sources! 

Writer, Staff. (2019). The Last Kingdom, Netflix University Press.

49 minutes ago, Indy said:

Wow, I do the ironing in my house, my wife hates it so I take it on and have for 27 years of marriage! 

I suppose the ‘England Women’ written at the top prevents any confusion about motives by the OP