Sign in to follow this  
Worthy Nigelton

Pleased to see us taking the women's team more seriously

16 hours ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

The game is growing and has moved on massively in recent years.

Is it really though? Thought attendances had peaked in 2019 and been on a downward trajectory since then. 

Its actually shrinking. 

I think they should make a brave decision and do 70 minute games on 90 metre long pitches and reduce the goal frames by about 15% personally (to account for smaller keepers).

A bit like cricket did with 20:20 to make it more fun.

It doesn't make any sense to acknowledge that there are physical differences between men and women before proceeding to set the same game parameters.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

1 hour ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Is it really though? Thought attendances had peaked in 2019 and been on a downward trajectory since then. 

Its actually shrinking. 

I think they should make a brave decision and do 70 minute games on 90 metre long pitches and reduce the goal frames by about 15% personally (to account for smaller keepers).

It doesn't make any sense to acknowledge that there are physical differences between men and women before proceeding to set the same game parameters.

That would only work if the governing bodies were prepared to put huge amounts of cash into it. The players probably wouldn't object to your ideas, certainly not the goalies, but all of a sudden your imposing significant financial outlays on thousands of grassroots clubs around the country who are suddenly having to find new goal posts, liaise with councils or landowners to sort out a new line-marking regime and possibly new pitch space to accommodate the smaller layout. It just wouldn't be feasible.

The shorter game idea is an interesting one, not so much because of lack of fitness for me; however, we're seeing a lot of sports going shorter to accommodate the demographic's dwindling attention span. It might be a marketing boon. You can make it more attractive to young kids by having normal evening kick off times but matches that finish at a more convenient time for bed.

I'd definitely be using the sport as a testing ground for new ideas, safe-standing, alcohol-while-you-watch, that sort of thing. There isn't a lot you can do about the standard of the football in comparison to the men's game but you can do a lot to make the whole experience better.

I can't stand the bloke, but I can't help but feel women's football is ripe for Barry Hearn to step in and work his magic.

There really are some embarrassing comments and opinions already on this thread. Having coached my young daughters team up to the age of 15 I've seen the great impact football can have on their lives (as can many sports). So I'm really pleased to see my team making the effort to support the womens game.

Sadly the comments on this and the 'this language is not OK' thread show that some people (thankfully a minority) are ignorant and have no real understanding of the importance of some of these issues,

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, rock bus said:

There really are some embarrassing comments and opinions already on this thread. Having coached my young daughters team up to the age of 15 I've seen the great impact football can have on their lives (as can many sports). So I'm really pleased to see my team making the effort to support the womens game.

Sadly the comments on this and the 'this language is not OK' thread show that some people (thankfully a minority) are ignorant and have no real understanding of the importance of some of these issues,

I for one am not disputing that and it great that your daughter and her colleagues/friend's having real benefit from it - however this does not change the fact that this has nothing to do with the men's game or team. This is where I and others get frustrated - they are essentially two different sports hence why there is a man and a ladies team. 

This shouldn't be seen anything else than what it is, but people try to turn it in to something it isn't and that I find ridiculous.

• Like 2

Nothing wrong with any kid enjoying playing football, but at professional level women's football is a joke and senior women's football exists because BBC can't afford to compete for men's broadcasting rights. 

2 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

Nothing wrong with any kid enjoying playing football, but at professional level women's football is a joke and senior women's football exists because BBC can't afford to compete for men's broadcasting rights. 

You're like a parody of some right wing nutjob. Im not sure if its genuine or youre just doing it for the wind up! I'm not one who has any time for wokeness or cancel culture but if you are genuine, I find it amazing that people like you actually exist in the real world. I thought it was just Daily Mail journalists who pushed this stuff not normal people.

25 minutes ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

You're like a parody of some right wing nutjob. Im not sure if its genuine or youre just doing it for the wind up! I'm not one who has any time for wokeness or cancel culture but if you are genuine, I find it amazing that people like you actually exist in the real world. I thought it was just Daily Mail journalists who pushed this stuff not normal people.

Explain why

12 hours ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

ignore them . Presumably those that haven’t ever set foot on the moon can’t talk about it? 

In that case, no one can talk about the moon as no one has ever set foot on it... It was a stage 🤫

7 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

Explain why

Every post you've ever posted in Main Discussion but especially Non-Football. I'm now convinced you're on a wind up.

1 hour ago, Rock The Boat said:

What about it exactly is a joke?

I think the women's game will grow via the clubs - I'd go and watch a Norwich game anywhere and support that team, whether men, women, kids etc. The issue of whether the women's game is developing or not is a bit of a red herring - we should be in it and to have  a Norwich team in the top leagues is important. Fourth tier currently, but a couple of promotions and you watch the supporter numbers grow.

Personally I agree with others who say that the powers that be should change things like the timings and the pitch/goal sizes to accommodate the clear physical problems lots of the players have ( as they do with youth and kids football; women's tennis; women's cricket; women's golf etc) but that's all a completely different argument.

I don't see why this seems to trigger so many people. 

I'd imagine the investment in the women's team would probably be less than 1% of the clubs total revenue. We're not going to miss promotion for the men's team because of any investment in the women's team. If you're not interested, great, don't go. Don't read any updates on them, it isn't hard. 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

I think the women's game will grow via the clubs - I'd go and watch a Norwich game anywhere and support that team, whether men, women, kids etc. The issue of whether the women's game is developing or not is a bit of a red herring - we should be in it and to have  a Norwich team in the top leagues is important. Fourth tier currently, but a couple of promotions and you watch the supporter numbers grow.

I think this is the thing- there is no coincidence that the top supported teams in the WSL are largely well supported, Premier League teams in the mens game. 

I've not taken much interest in women's club football, but I am coming over to the UK for the Euro 22 tournament to watch 2 of Icelands games 

Its a  shame they are being held in such a small stadium, though 😟

Nice to see NCFC supporting the women more 🙂

8 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Its actually shrinking. 

I'm interested to know how you'd apply this philosophy to athletics, tennis, and every other sport out there where the parameters are exactly the same for men and women, but they compete separately. 

2 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

I'm interested to know how you'd apply this philosophy to athletics, tennis, and every other sport out there where the parameters are exactly the same for men and women, but they compete separately. 

Where to even begin with this, the vast majority of the athletes depend on National Lottery funding for a start, they don't rely on making their sport more exciting to increase revenue. The attendances speak for themselves, don't shoot the messenger. Larger attendances = more female footballers can go pro and train 5 times a week, instead of on a Tuesday and Thursday evening. The second tier is getting average attendances of like 500 people, the current sport just isn't resonating with the public.

And tennis isn't of a fixed time duration, the average duration of a women's Wimbledon final is 93 minutes and the average for a mens final is 151 minutes. I mean, of all the examples you could have picked, those are quite possibly the worst two. 

I'll offer up boxing as a sport where the parameters aren't the same, by the way, maximum 10 x 2 minute rounds for women, maximum 12 x 3 minute rounds for men. They seem to be doing a pretty excellent job of building women's boxing at the minute, because innovators like DAZN, Eddie Hearn and that YouTube bloke who is sh*t at boxing but excellent are promoting... aren't closed minded. 

There are darts purists who hate what Barry Hearn has turned darts into by giving the punters what they want, but if they had their way none of the players would be making a living and they'd still be stuck in working men's clubs. Barry made darts exciting, and made snooker exciting. His son will make millions out of women's boxing now, guarantee he'll never call for 12 x 3 minute rounds just because of the small number of purists and naysayers.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

12 hours ago, Terminally Yellow said:

That doesn't mean you don't try and bridge the gap.

Not my point.

I think we should have a women’s team and girls youth teams because it’s the right thing to do.

Pretending there’s fairness and equality to be had in modern professional sport is a fantasy and if that’s your aim it’s an argument to not bother. The playing field is and can never be equal while it’s a money making enterprise.

10 hours ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

Every post you've ever posted in Main Discussion but especially Non-Football. I'm now convinced you're on a wind up.

That's not a reply. You're just a troll.

8 hours ago, repman said:

What about it exactly is a joke?

The US women's soccer team when they won the women's world cup then went on to be beaten by a team of fifteen-year-old boys. If that's the level for the very best of women's soccer then women's soccer is a joke. 

11 hours ago, Rock The Boat said:

The US women's soccer team when they won the women's world cup then went on to be beaten by a team of fifteen-year-old boys. If that's the level for the very best of women's soccer then women's soccer is a joke. 

That match was a friendly match preparing for a tournament. You can't judge all women's football on one result.

The England men's team has lost to Australia, the USA, and Iceland, the last 2 in tournaments.

15 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Where to even begin with this, the vast majority of the athletes depend on National Lottery funding for a start, they don't rely on making their sport more exciting to increase revenue. The attendances speak for themselves, don't shoot the messenger. Larger attendances = more female footballers can go pro and train 5 times a week, instead of on a Tuesday and Thursday evening. The second tier is getting average attendances of like 500 people, the current sport just isn't resonating with the public.

And tennis isn't of a fixed time duration, the average duration of a women's Wimbledon final is 93 minutes and the average for a mens final is 151 minutes. I mean, of all the examples you could have picked, those are quite possibly the worst two. 

I'll offer up boxing as a sport where the parameters aren't the same, by the way, maximum 10 x 2 minute rounds for women, maximum 12 x 3 minute rounds for men. They seem to be doing a pretty excellent job of building women's boxing at the minute, because innovators like DAZN, Eddie Hearn and that YouTube bloke who is sh*t at boxing but excellent are promoting... aren't closed minded. 

There are darts purists who hate what Barry Hearn has turned darts into by giving the punters what they want, but if they had their way none of the players would be making a living and they'd still be stuck in working men's clubs. Barry made darts exciting, and made snooker exciting. His son will make millions out of women's boxing now, guarantee he'll never call for 12 x 3 minute rounds just because of the small number of purists and naysayers.

Most athletics relies on lottery funding to compete, mens and womens, because athletics isn't commercially saleable enough to sustain the athletes on the revenue. 

The fact that tennis has fixed sets, but the women's game takes less time on average proves nothing. There's no basis to believe that 90 minutes of football is too much for female footballers, and there's no basis to believe that watching 90 minutes of women's football is automatically 'more boring' than 90 minutes of men's football either. 

Football is swimming in money, but what could be profits, or invested into the women's game, instead disappears into agents' pockets. Suggesting that the women's game is somehow merely a victim of ADHD in audiences rather than a victim of massively unequal funding strikes me as disingenuous. 

There's no basis to believe that 90 minutes of football is too much for female footballers

Didn't say this. Cricket didn't invent the 20/20 format because the players got tired, it was designed with the punter in mind.

How many times you have you paid to watch women's football? Perhaps we should determine that first. 

Suggesting that the women's game is somehow merely a victim of ADHD in audiences rather than a victim of massively unequal funding strikes me as disingenuous. 

Never said this either, who is being disingenuous here exactly? 

I like to see us investing in this sort of thing as it is all part of the process of 'becoming a better, well-rounded club'. We should want all facets of Norwich City to be as high-level as possible.

Do I find women's football particularly interesting though? No I dont. We also have an esports team that I don't engage with, despite it being 1. People like me who play it and 2. Something I have done and can do myself.

It doesn't always have to be a question of grrrr gender or rarrr inequality. Sometimes it's just mehhh not for me.

• Like 1

On 13/06/2022 at 10:29, Worthy Nigelton said:

They don't exist in the real world. He wouldn't spout any of this crap in the real world because he's a blatant wimp.

I mean, if he thinks the England Women are a joke, wait until he sees how the men got on. I know which one I will have enjoyed watching more this summer.

Edited by canarydan23
  • Like 2

On 13/06/2022 at 07:48, TeemuVanBasten said:

I don't think the games need to be shorter but they should absolutely do that. I feel like an even better example than the cricket is basketball and netball. Netball is a significantly better watch than the WNBA.

• Like 1

I have no problem with women's football but I do think the coverage is overkill and please hear me out on this. During COVID the most popular phrase was football is nothing without the fans and it really was true. Attendances for the WPL are low, very low, and as pointed out are dropping even with the higher profile. Women's football is being asked to run before it can walk as without fans it's sterile. Showing numerous WPL games a week with empty stadiums gets you nowhere. Teams like Bradford would love that sort of profile, get 7 times the crowd but are not financially supported by a premiership club and we're on TV only 3 times last season. I have no problem with supporting women's football but it has to be allowed to find it's space. Let's be honest I go to the football more for the atmosphere than the game itself. It about being with people on the same page, you know if we win you will have a great weekend and if we lose it will be a bad one but you are all in it together. Without that kind of passion in a busy stadium it won't do it for me. To sum up I would love to see women's football grow but pushing it as hard as it is at the moment doesn't seem to be working. 

• Like 1

On 12/06/2022 at 18:35, The Real Buh said:

Norwich should invest in all levels of football.

it’s not the same as senior mens, they are all different. Mens is different from womens which is different from youth which is different from disability. Should do them all though.

mite a different issue to the fact we are crap at mens senior football right now, shouldn’t conflate the two

You're a bigot. Everyone is equal, it's just some are more equal than others. :)

13 hours ago, Iwans Big Toe said:

You're a bigot. Everyone is equal, it's just some are more equal than others. 🙂

I’m trying my best mate. I just wish I was as faultless as the guys on the off topic board.

who’ve never been wrong about anything