Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Sily old warknock..

If anything I imagjne it was a pee-take as in “why am I not playing? “Tell you what, give me £Xk and I might pick you” 

Edited by Branston Pickle
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Why is he silly? Nothing been proven and previous allegations proved baseless.

Thats not threadworthy though LDC. 

Despite being factually accurate. 

It's common knowledge in Sheffield that he operated a pay to play system!  Strange how he has to retire before the investigations start! FA again, it's an old boys club.

Inconsistency in that report about Vine-says that Warnock took some of his money but also says that he (Vine) refused to agree to the deal. It can’t have been both.

And Puncheon was fined £15k after the FA investigated.

Smells like 🐄💩

Not buying it at all. More likely to be some of the cuff remarks he's made to certain players - a variation on "I wouldn't play you even if you paid me" - or maybe saying - "You want to play? Then show me how much you want to play".  Given the mouth he's got he's probably tried every pyschological trick in the book to motivate players, including referencing money, but not actually meaning anyone to give him money.

49 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Not buying it at all. More likely to be some of the cuff remarks he's made to certain players - a variation on "I wouldn't play you even if you paid me" - or maybe saying - "You want to play? Then show me how much you want to play".  Given the mouth he's got he's probably tried every pyschological trick in the book to motivate players, including referencing money, but not actually meaning anyone to give him money.

I don’t believe in coincidences personally. When one player has already made the same accusation but then had been fined when the FA investigated, why would another then choose to make the same allegation years later?

Something smells odd and it warrants a thorough investigation.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

I don’t believe in coincidences personally. When one player has already made the same accusation but then had been fined when the FA investigated, why would another then choose to make the same allegation years later?

Something smells odd and it warrants a thorough investigation.

For what it's worth, I do see that point of view. One accusation can be waved away as baseless, but when it gets backed up by others then you have to wonder if there's something in it. 

But like I said before, Warnock was probably the most successful Football League manager of his generation. Picking his team based on who is giving him the most money under the table as opposed to form or ability would surely hinder his team's performances rather than improve them.

It's all very peculiar.

15 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

For what it's worth, I do see that point of view. One accusation can be waved away as baseless, but when it gets backed up by others then you have to wonder if there's something in it. 

But like I said before, Warnock was probably the most successful Football League manager of his generation. Picking his team based on who is giving him the most money under the table as opposed to form or ability would surely hinder his team's performances rather than improve them.

It's all very peculiar.

From my understanding, he was very clever which player he chose.  He only chose those new to the squad or those on the periphery.  It was someone he was trying to get a little extra out of on the pitch.  Players are strange creatures, they can be quite gullible where money is concerned, he got them believing by paying to play, then playing harder, they would earn more.  Getting them to play better was in part his justification. 

Trouble is, years later, pissed down the pub they all realised they'd been played and blab to anyone that listens. But there was enough of a grey area that few officially complained, because quite a few earned new contracts (of which a little off the top went to Colin too, but that's another story).

Hence my understanding. 

I do like a drink with old players, such fascinating stories ..... 😉£🍺

14 hours ago, Chelm Canary said:

I do find it strange that 2 players have now said this and i don't see any motive to make it up. 

Maybe they just hated the guy. Managers are often unpopular with players.

15 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

I think it is clear who is 'silly' if you believe Warnock was anything other than a master at getting very average players to give their all for the shirt.

The 'silly' thing is Smith and Jones never gave him a job when we needed someone like him in the manager's chair.

Brilliant...hung, drawn and quartered by our resident NCFC legal experts without a shred of evidence being seen or offered.

The internet really is a magnet for the bottom-feeders isn't it!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bucks said:

Brilliant...hung, drawn and quartered by our resident NCFC legal experts without a shred of evidence being seen or offered.

Yup. That's precisely what a court case is for. Innocent until proven guilty and all that.

37 minutes ago, Nora's Ghost said:

I think it is clear who is 'silly' if you believe Warnock was anything other than a master at getting very average players to give their all for the shirt.

The 'silly' thing is Smith and Jones never gave him a job when we needed someone like him in the manager's chair.

I'm sorry, but, whilst he was undoubtedly a very good manager there are far too many rumours/accusations of backhanders and skimming off transfers to think that there he wasn't involved in some dodgy stuff...

• Like 1

Seems odd to have two separate accounts of it, sure, but I feel like this is the sort of thing that you'd just instantly go to the PFA about.

That, and if anything it would be other players that weren't then getting played that would speak up. If you knew your colleague was getting better gigs than you because they were paying off management, you'd speak up no?

33 minutes ago, cornish sam said:

I'm sorry, but, whilst he was undoubtedly a very good manager there are far too many rumours/accusations of backhanders and skimming off transfers to think that there he wasn't involved in some dodgy stuff...

So did Redknapp and many other successful club managers.

Putting high morals before enjoying watching a successful team on the pitch is for the birds....

1 minute ago, Nora's Ghost said:

Putting high morals before enjoying watching a successful team on the pitch is for the birds....

So you're saying corruption is alright as long as you get results?

Just now, cornish sam said:

I guess you've never been in business then?

Ducking and diving is how you get on in the world... and check out how Delia got her paws on the club all those years ago.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cornish sam said:

Not sure whether you have your own rules or laws in Cornwall Sam, but you really are creeping into the realms of sub judice here as far as UK law is concerned and that cannot be advisable. 

14 minutes ago, Nora's Ghost said:

I guess you've never been in business then?

Ducking and diving is how you get on in the world... and check out how Delia got her paws on the club all those years ago.

So that's a yes then ...

2 hours ago, Nora's Ghost said:

Redknapp is probably the worst example of “success” given his history of nearly bankrupting clubs

5 hours ago, Bucks said:

Well you're here as well.

Did the OP start the thread with the hope nobody would give their opinions?

This isn't a legal forum and people are allowed to give their opinions even if it doesn't agree with yours.

7 minutes ago, Chelm Canary said:

Well you're here as well.

Did the OP start the thread with the hope nobody would give their opinions?

This isn't a legal forum and people are allowed to give their opinions even if it doesn't agree with yours.

I've just reported what I heard in drunken conversations in the pub from more than one ex-player who would have been witnesses, if not participants. Nothing attributable for obvious reasons, I'd like to drink in those pubs again! 😉