TeemuVanBasten

Anybody left that wants Webber to stay?

Or is the loss of goodwill pretty much universal now and the consensus that he's had his time? 

If you are somebody that wants Webber to stay, tell us why? Sell us your side? 

6 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Or is the loss of goodwill pretty much universal now and the consensus that he's had his time? 

If you are somebody that wants Webber to stay, tell us why? Sell us your side? 

Not 'universal', unless you'd like to sell your side?

2 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

Not 'universal'

So you want Webber to stay then?

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

The crowd made their feelings known last night.

There is simply no way back for him , well past his use by date

Yeah I'd like him to stay.

1. Brought in a brilliant manager who defined a play style and character around the club

2. Revamped our facilities and improved us from the bottom up for future generations

3. Within the self sufficient model brought us 2 championship winning campaigns and debt free

4. Some incredible signings, many of which are yet to come through - very much an eye on the future

He's not about short term fixes, and I think this is much of the frustration this season.  And let's be honest, we've only had one poor season with him pulling the strings.  The rest have been great. 

Even when we went down in 19/20 we still showed a character and play style that was enjoyable to watch - and all aware at the start of it being a 'bonus' season.

The main negative is selling Buendia and gambling too much on this years signings... But I think he will learn from that, he's young himself - but has a will and arrogance to succeed.

If we get rid, I don't think that Delia would be willing to put her health on the line establishing the replacement and next era of structure at this club - it will be handed down to Tom and potentially Neil Adams as temporary.  So people need to be very careful what they wish for.

I was sat last night wishing we had Farke back, and I don't want to be sat next season wishing we had Webber purely because people are wanting blood from him right now and trying to push him out.

What he's achieved here has been outstanding, such great times under Farke - shame that Covid seperated us from the team - but not much can be done about that - However, it does make this season harder that we didn't go on that journey in person with them 20/21 and missed so much of the highs.

Edited by Google Bot
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Yes, I see little point in changing things. Got us out of the Championship twice, why not again?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

I was sat last night wishing we had Farke back, and I don't want to be sat next season wishing we had Webber purely because people are wanting blood from him right now.

Have you not created a paradox here. 

It was Webber who realised he wanted Farke gone, after the manner of the Leeds defeat, and convinced the board to vote his sacking through. 

Webber is the reason you are wishing you still had Farke? 

Just now, TeemuVanBasten said:

Webber is the reason you are wishing you still had Farke? 

Just explained my reasons, if you can't understand them I can't help you I'm afraid.

1 minute ago, Google Bot said:

Just explained my reasons, if you can't understand them I can't help you I'm afraid.

I understood your reasons fully, I simply countered with a further question, that is how debate works isn't it? 

If you are under some sort of delusion about the complexity of your literary output and somehow think its on par with James Joyce's Ulysses then I can't help you with I'm afraid. I didn't have to get the thesaurus out.

Think a lot will depend on what he actually says when he speaks. If he shows some humility and takes responsibility and has a clear idea of why it went wrong again and has a plan to address it then I think it will all calm down, people will forgive him and we can go into next season more united although another he can't afford to get a lot wrong this summer. We pay him very highly relative to other clubs our size with our budget and give him much more power than most other SD's have, for that we have a right to expect him to perform.

If he starts making stupid excuses again like blaming the fans for our struggles then he'll be out the door pretty quickly. I think his reputation has never really recovered from when he had a go at us before the Leeds game, insinuating that the atmosphere was part of the problem. The team was on a shocking run, we'd just come out of lockdown and most of our home fans are either OAP's or parents with kids, of course we're not going to make us much noise as a large group of young male Leeds fans high on cocaine who have been drinking since 8am, it was a stupid stupid thing to say and I'd hope for his sake he chooses his words more carefully this time. 

3 minutes ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

Think a lot will depend on what he actually says when he speaks. If he shows some humility and takes responsibility and has a clear idea of why it went wrong again and has a plan to address it then I think it will all calm down, people will forgive him and we can go into next season more united although another he can't afford to get a lot wrong this summer. We pay him very highly relative to other clubs our size with our budget and give him much more power than most other SD's have, for that we have a right to expect him to perform.

If he starts making stupid excuses again like blaming the fans for our struggles then he'll be out the door pretty quickly. I think his reputation has never really recovered from when he had a go at us before the Leeds game, insinuating that the atmosphere was part of the problem. The team was on a shocking run, we'd just come out of lockdown and most of our home fans are either OAP's or parents with kids, of course we're not going to make us much noise as a large group of young male Leeds fans high on cocaine who have been drinking since 8am, it was a stupid stupid thing to say and I'd hope for his sake he chooses his words more carefully this time. 

I agree with this, however I also think he should have gone after the debacle outside the Directors' entrance.  I believe most organisations would have sacked a senior executive for laying into its customers as he did, whatever the provocation.  If he is to steady the ship (his position) then he needs to watch his step and be more sure footed than an 'Everest' mountain goat.

If he accepts his mistakes, cancels his mountain hike, says he is now fully focussed on Norwich City, signs a multi-year but time limited contract with a clause that reduces his salary on either non-promotion from Chumps / relegation in future from EPL, then yes he can stay.  Otherwise he can leave and go climb that mountain.

Just now, Ray said:

I believe most organisations would have sacked a senior executive for laying into its customers as he did, whatever the provocation. 

I remember the time that Glenn Roeder answered a fans football related question with "I must have missed your tenure as England manager", an incredibly condescending response by somebody who achieved f*ck all as a manager themselves. 

The board, Delia and husband included, all found that response highly amusing. I wouldn't therefore expect them to sack anybody for holding the fans in disdain.

• Like 2

Yes, I am Webber in. If you think of him just as a man that has cavorted around Europe writing large cheques for hopeless players, I can see why you would want him out.

But, a football clubs success is much more than just the playing squad. You can't argue that our academy isn't thriving, neither can you argue the training facilities aren't lightyears ahead of the portacabins of yore. And these investments, although probably at a detriment to the short-term ability to recruit players, will hold their value and improve our club sustainably in the long term.

Furthermore, at this point, are we going to get someone who is enough of an improvement on SW to offset the fact they won't have his existing knowledge of our club/ situation? I'd say not.

The whole Webber thing has been blown way out of proportion IMO. I've found in my job since the lockdowns, the patience of people is considerably less than before- everyone wants BIG CHANGES, they want it EXACTLY HOW THEY LIKE IT, and they want it NOW! I think this is part of that.

In the words of Warren Buffett, nobody wants to get rich slowly.

• Like 6

Stuart Webber:

Pro's

- Brought in Farke who in turn produced some of the best football we've seen in decades

- Transformed Colney and the training facilities

- With the help of the scouting team, signed two incredible bargains in Buendia and Pukki

- Changed the club from mid-table Championship to Top end Champ/Lower end Prem

- Financially sound after a severe rocky period pre James Maddison sale

Con's

- Got rid of Farke without a plan. This is fact due to the nature of the appointment of Dean Smith who a week prior wasn't available.

- Buendia/Pukki aside, has a pretty abysmal recruitment CV, culminating in this season's effort.

- Clearly ambitious (usually a positive) but has other ambitions in life. This is not a criticism of him as a person (actually the opposite) but it's a negative as far as Norwich City FC is concerned. 

I personally think it's the right time for him to go at the end of the season. He's in a similar boat to Paul Lambert to me. Both achieved great things at the club, should rightly be praised and remembered for all their positive work but ultimately both through their confidence/arrogance (which helped gained their success) reached a natural plataeu. I would bring in a new Sporting Director, let Dean Smith build a more solid, pragmatic team in the Champ and see how that goes. It won't be as pretty as Farke-ball but ultimately we simply don't have the finances to play Farke-ball in the Premier League. Without a takeover, you need to spend £30m+ on each player to play attractive/winning football at that level. 

As to who replaces Webber, well that could be another reason not to get rid....ala Farke and Smith. Time will tell. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ray said:

I believe most organisations would have sacked a senior executive for laying into its customers as he did

He was the one being verbally abused by a pre-assembled group(?).  I can't see how that's laying in to customers.

I can only go from the footage, of course.  But the guy who apologised has never said anything about Webber laying in to customers and says the whole situation was blown out of proportion.

2 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

I've found in my job since the lockdowns, the patience of people is considerably less than before- everyone wants BIG CHANGES, they want it EXACTLY HOW THEY LIKE IT, and they want it NOW! I think this is part of that.

In the words of Warren Buffett, nobody wants to get rich slowly.

I personally don't find it too much to ask that paying customers have a sense that the team on the pitch is fully committed and giving 100% every week, and recently I don't feel like this has been the case.

I don't think its unreasonable for fans to point out that this Premier League campaign has been less successful than our previous Premier League campaign, despite a substantial net transfer spend this summer and almost none the previous campaign. We've spent money to go backwards on the pitch.

When looking to apportion blame and responsibility for both of these failings, its difficult to look beyond Webber. 

Asking for: 1). Some passion and desire, and 2). Some sort of progress on the quality of the output on the pitch, I don't think those are unrealistic or unfair expectations. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

If he accepts his mistakes, cancels his mountain hike, says he is now fully focussed on Norwich City, signs a multi-year but time limited contract with a clause that reduces his salary on either non-promotion from Chumps / relegation in future from EPL, then yes he can stay.  Otherwise he can leave and go climb that mountain.

Or jump off a pier....

Considering the contract he is on is a rolling one-year contract I get the impression, potentially wrongly, that he is in the succession planning phase. Good managers/strategists do not build things such that they fall apart when they go. As others have said, his work in consolidating our finances, improving our facilities, and re-establishing our club as a choice destination for promising youngsters to go to is worth a great deal, and I would say there's still plenty of credit in the bank despite this harrowing season, which is pretty much down to recruitment that missed its mark.

At the same time, I think he missed tricks and made expectations too high. He did ultimately do what he set out to do, which was get a budget that enabled us to spend big by our standards, but the resulting team didn't perform. You can do all the scouting you like, but getting transfers right is always hit-and-miss. It was a sign he'd learned from not spending, and decided to go for it, but that fell short.

So, I think the question here is "what is going to be done with scouting?"

I'm happy for him to still be here with the proviso he learns on the scouting side, and continues to improve our facilities.

Edited by TheGunnShow

Begone Stu...Begone and never grace this fine upstanding club ever again!.....You Charlatan!.....

Actually I don't give a baboon's butt whether Stu stays or goes, it's out of our hands and he's still here after the 'incident' so those at the top aren't gonna give him his P45 anytime soon....

They'll ride the storm and get the 22nd of May out of the way and allow the heat to die down over the recess...Then it's rinse and repeat and hope the colours don't run....Smiling smug has the club in the palm of his mountain mitt....

I can't see the point of Webber leaving at this stage, other than to satisfy the outraged pride of a few supporters. He has twice proven he can help us get out of the Championship by working with his selected coach, so let's see if he can do it again.

Of course he has failed this season. Last time, he knew it was likely - this time I think he genuinely felt we had the players. And, in another world, he might have been right - lots of things have again gone against us. Even last night, we score first (and Pukki should have) and it's a different game. The players we have brought in have let him, and their coaches, and the supporters, down very badly.

I also don't really care about his Everest thing. He again made a silly mistake with the 90% comment, but I judge on performance over a period. He can't afford any more errors - but I still think he's earned another shot. Of course, if we are midtable at Christmas with very little hope of change, then it would be time to re-evaluate.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

Mrs Webber

I would guess that Zoe is also fed up with Mr 90%’s ego … and wants him gone. Probably her idea to climb some mountains 😂 

1 minute ago, sgncfc said:

I can't see the point of Webber leaving at this stage, other than to satisfy the outraged pride of a few supporters. He has twice proven he can help us get out of the Championship by working with his selected coach, so let's see if he can do it again.

Of course he has failed this season. Last time, he knew it was likely - this time I think he genuinely felt we had the players. And, in another world, he might have been right - lots of things have again gone against us. Even last night, we score first (and Pukki should have) and it's a different game. The players we have brought in have let him, and their coaches, and the supporters, down very badly.

I also don't really care about his Everest thing. He again made a silly mistake with the 90% comment, but I judge on performance over a period. He can't afford any more errors - but I still think he's earned another shot. Of course, if we are midtable at Christmas with very little hope of change, then it would be time to re-evaluate.

The problem is that he has already asked to leave but the Stowmarket 2 begged him to stay… so he has no pressure, and would happily walk when he gets a better offer or wants to go.

3 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

He was the one being verbally abused by a pre-assembled group(?).  I can't see how that's laying in to customers.

I can only go from the footage, of course.  But the guy who apologised has never said anything about Webber laying in to customers and says the whole situation was blown out of proportion.

Hi Google Bot,

I was there, yes there was a pre-assembled group of max 8 people, yes they were using language they perhaps should not have done, which went up a notch or two when Webber confronted them, something they (he) has apologised for,  it may have been a good idea if Webber had done the same.  His whole demeanour was to confront, had he gone outside and engaged the dissenters in a calm manner then he would have held the high ground, unfortunately he did not, in fact, imo he should not have gone out in the first place, an opinion supported by the fact his wife pushed him back inside.  I also witnessed him almost coming to blows with a member of the Man City backroom staff a coupe of years ago in the Directors' area, when he had to be pulled off/held back.  There appears to be history of, shall we say, a rush of blood.

29 minutes ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

Think a lot will depend on what he actually says when he speaks. If he shows some humility and takes responsibility and has a clear idea of why it went wrong again and has a plan to address it then I think it will all calm down, people will forgive him and we can go into next season more united although another he can't afford to get a lot wrong this summer.

We’ve heard it all before when we went down last prem season though. Will you believe him if he came out with that? Fool me twice and all that.

The key will be him demonstrating ‘clear idea of what went wrong’. The problem is all roads lead back to him, so to put it right the logical response is Webber needs to go. That’s unless he dumps it all on the players (possible) or the Board (very, very unlikely). 

3 minutes ago, Ray said:

There appears to be history of, shall we say, a rush of blood.

image.jpeg.fb1d3f28ee441ef2b3c6dedd50dd0294.jpeg

Edited by WD40
  • Like 1

No. He isn't going to be here much and when he is will he be focused? And I do not respect him anymore after throwing DF to the Lions.

1 minute ago, Ray said:

His whole demeanour was to confront, had he gone outside and engaged the dissenters in a calm manner then he would have held the high ground, unfortunately he did not, in fact

All I see were 'supporters' calling him a c**t and labelling the man as an embarrassment.  I think most people's demeanour would change in that situation.

What I don't see is where he's laid into supporters - being there yourself, could you elaborate or example how he laid into them please?