Sign in to follow this  
Well b back

Poland Refuse to Play Russia in World Cup Play Off

3 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

We should be refusing to play in Qatar anyway. Shouldn't be leaving these moral dilemmas until they're too late.

Regards Russia summed up perfectly here by Lewandowski

Russia should be expelled from the tournament-we have the ridiculous position where all sides in their play-off ‘sector’ refuse to play and they qualify by default.  It is clearly not the Russian players or people who are at fault but Lewandowski is right that you can’t just pretend it isn’t happening.

Edited by Branston Pickle
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Russia should be expelled from the tournament-we have the ridiculous position where all sides in their play-off ‘sector’ refuse to play and they qualify by default.  It is clearly not the Russian players or people who are at fault but Lewandowski is right that you can’t just pretend it isn’t happening.

Indeed

A way to show the Russian people something is really happening in Ukraine, Putin can lie about what is happening but when major sporting events are called off much more difficult to explain.

Just now, Well b back said:

Indeed

A way to show the Russian people something is really happening in Ukraine, Putin can lie about what is happening but when major sporting events are called off much more difficult to explain.

Interesting. Premier League matches should be stopped mid game for a protest maybe and Jerseys having something on them.

Also don't see Scotlands quaification play off match against Ukraine going ahead either.

• Like 2

And the Olympic Committee amd Sporting Bodies must now ban the ROC farce at sporting events. They aren't called Russia because they cheat. SO if they cheat and make war, then ban them.

I'd love to see the players unite and saw if Russia go to the World Cup, we don't. You can't expect organisations like the FA to do it because they're pathetic.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KiwiScot said:

Interesting. Premier League matches should be stopped mid game for a protest maybe and Jerseys having something on them.

Aren’t premier league clubs allowed to do something today in support before kick off ? Thought I read that somewhere.

1 minute ago, KiwiScot said:

Also don't see Scotlands quaification play off match against Ukraine going ahead either.

Indeed

Unless I missed something ( didn’t watch the warm ups ), was quite surprised nothing was done in our game last night. I assume the EPL is beamed to Russia and while there are no protests Russia can just carry on like nothing is happening.

What leadership can expect from Infantino.  Fifa probably are funded by Russian some oligarch, UEFA are deliberating over Gazprom sponsorship no answers yet.  Infantino no response to return Freedom medal given by Putin, freedom its a joke.  Seemes Gianni is becoming as corrupt as his predecessor.  If Russia not thrown out they are likely to be the only clubs at WC apart from China and Saudis.

IOC must throw Russia out from Para's shame not before Olympics.  Need strong leadership here 10 year ban at least by IOC, FIFA, UEFA and every sporting organisation.  Lets see some action I won't hold my breath. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

Aren’t premier league clubs allowed to do something today in support before kick off ? Thought I read that somewhere.

Genuine question,I wonder how Chelsea and their fans will react / join in as their game is a cup final and I am sure Liverpool fans will be making their thoughts heard.

Just now, Well b back said:

Indeed

Unless I missed something ( didn’t watch the warm ups ), was quite surprised nothing was done in our game last night. I assume the EPL is beamed to Russia and while there are no protests Russia can just carry on like nothing is happening.

As Fenway said the league are maybe allowed things before kickoff, but of course Russian TV could just no broadcast that part and the same can be said for stopping games mid-way through. Got to try though.

Chelsea as a club are highly unlikely to do anything that their criminal oligarch owner wouldn’t like, but I hope their fans make their feelings absolutely clear for the world to hear.

Farkes teams match has been suspended, but due to the closure of the local airport and several across southern Russia. No doubt to allow their use for the military

Just now, KiwiScot said:

As Fenway said the league are maybe allowed things before kickoff, but of course Russian TV could just no broadcast that part and the same can be said for stopping games mid-way through. Got to try though.

Yep

The players will decide as they seem to be ignoring the rules on this one. They should be urged on by the fans as well. If it is an unpublicised protest mid game then I guess some effect, but I assume Russia will just block games as protests are made.

I am guessing, but do lots of Russians support Chelsea ? Or is it the opposite ?

23 minutes ago, Naturalcynic said:

Chelsea as a club are highly unlikely to do anything that their criminal oligarch owner wouldn’t like, but I hope their fans make their feelings absolutely clear for the world to hear.

Of course they won't, just like Newcastle fans didn't about their new ownership. 

• Like 1

In the absence of any real effective way to stop Russia politically, the only way to have an effect is to ostracize Russia from anything and everything it is involved in and to get that we need people across the world to protest and force sports governing bodies to act - to make it clear that this action taken by Putin and his cronies is just not acceptable in this day and age in Europe, or anywhere else for that matter. 

The old guard in Russia are trying to turn back the clock - and it won't work anymore, the USSR is not a thing anymore - that particular boat sailed long ago. Putin will not suceed long term and this will ultimately cause his downfall and we can all help by pressurising our own sports bodies to ban Russia from the civilised world until they remove their troops from what is a sovereign nation.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Genuine question,I wonder how Chelsea and their fans will react / join in as their game is a cup final and I am sure Liverpool fans will be making their thoughts heard.

Hopefully! After the b***-****e tuschel came out with today. Abramovich has no one to blame but himself for the onslaught the Liverpool team and fans will take to the match!

• Like 1

Chelsea come here on the 19th March. We need to turn it into a fortress of hate so Chelsea FC know exactly where they stand.

The WC should be cancelled anyway. There shouldn't be any festival of football going on whilst war is going on in Ukraine  or further afield.

1 hour ago, Branston Pickle said:

The Czech Republic and Sweden need to follow Poland's example and refuse to play if Russia are not expelled. That would make it very hard for Fifa to chuck out three teams to save one.

1 hour ago, KiwiScot said:

Serie A games this weekend are all starting five minutes late as a 'symbolic gesture' of solidarity towards Ukraine. Not really sure what it achieves, but they're doing something.

12 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

The WC should be cancelled anyway. There shouldn't be any festival of football going on whilst war is going on in Ukraine  or further afield.

No World Cup would ever take place; there's always a war somewhere in the world. This is one is just receiving a lot more attention because it's in Europe and not hidden away in Africa.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

In the absence of any real effective way to stop Russia politically, the only way to have an effect is to ostracize Russia from anything and everything it is involved in and to get that we need people across the world to protest and force sports governing bodies to act - to make it clear that this action taken by Putin and his cronies is just not acceptable in this day and age in Europe, or anywhere else for that matter. 

The old guard in Russia are trying to turn back the clock - and it won't work anymore, the USSR is not a thing anymore - that particular boat sailed long ago. Putin will not suceed long term and this will ultimately cause his downfall and we can all help by pressurising our own sports bodies to ban Russia from the civilised world until they remove their troops from what is a sovereign nation.

Totally agree!

Russia has to be blacklisted like South Africa was in the 1980's. 

11 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

No World Cup would ever take place; there's always a war somewhere in the world. This is one is just receiving a lot more attention because it's in Europe and not hidden away in Africa.

People seem to have forgot that Ukraine has been at war with Russia since 2014..

49 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

Of course they won't, just like Newcastle fans didn't about their new ownership. 

Out of interest, does anyone on this board know a Chelsea fan who isn't a complete pr1ck? I've never met one.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

People seem to have forgot that Ukraine has been at war with Russia since 2014..

And the vast majority are also saying what the West are doing now, should have been done then and maybe this would not have happened.

This is far more serious and in addition Putin is clearly turning mad and Ukraine at least have the weapons to put up some resistance.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I agree that people need to put pressure on institutions, but the reason we are lacking effective way to stop Russia politically is the absolute toothlessness of western political powers, we aren’t in this situation because they couldn’t do anything, it’s because they haven’t and still aren’t doing enough. The fact the U.K. is one of the only countries openly trying to kick Russia out of Swift, something that would massively economically hurt them, is pathetic.

Edited by Monty13