Sign in to follow this  
City Stand Ultra

5pts in his 15 starts - which player?

Billy Gilmour has started 15 matches  and in those we have gained 5 pts.

Norwich have gained 12 pts in the 11 matches he didn't start.

It's not all or even mostly his fault as rest of team are really poor but the fact remains he has delivered precisely nothing for Norwich and Sorensen needs to be back in the team.  Lees Melou is also more effective than McLean.  At least he can control the ball and actually find another yellow shirt 

Tonight was pitiful.  It was summed up for me when Che Adams gets the ball just inside our half and our CB's instead of going to challenge him retreat 10 yards away.  We are so passive and there is no effective pressure on the ball

• Like 1

It's plain for everyone to see. unless of course you are a Chelsea fan or pundit or believe either of the aforementioned groups

I think I could make a solid case for every single one of our central midfielders offering more than he does. Not sure why we kept him over January.

He needs dropping, and McLean, if only to try something different at least. PLM had been playing quite well before being dropped and Rupp improved things tonight and was sharp earlier in the season, DITTO Sorensen. There’s hardly a chasm in quality between our best and worst midfielders (not like there is on the wing or up front), so why not change it up a bit?

Right now I’drather see any combination  Rupp, PLM, Normann, Sorensen playing than start ups involving Gilmour. Then again that’s been my opinion pretty much all season, Farke’s too…

• Thanks 1

It is certainly a shame as he looks good, but only in patches and it appeared we were better with Sorensen and others in there rather than the current midfield.

I'm bit of a fan of Rupp, would like to see him more involved from now on

• Like 1

The weird thing about the situation is I haven’t even seen a single poster justifying his position in the team. I got hounded for saying we should replace him over jan, but no one actually put forward why he should stay.

I’ve never known a player to be chosen so favourably by the management staff but with absolutely no following of the logic from the fan base.

I personally think Farke had the Gilmour situation exactly as it should’ve been, just like he did Cantwell.

8 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

The weird thing about the situation is I haven’t even seen a single poster justifying his position in the team. I got hounded for saying we should replace him over jan, but no one actually put forward why he should stay.

Really? I said the same thing and I only got people agreeing 😂

For goodness sake just send him back or stop bothering to play him. We are down, we will not keep him (even if he wasn’t bang average), we should give next seasons likely squad some games time against the best possible opposition. 
Championship pre-season starts right now! Let’s hit the ground running and look at which positions we should secure some recruits in. Webber likes to plan early, so let’s tot up the Cantwell cash and put other assets in the window to maximise funds. Get smith and shakey putting a list of targets for their system and just get on with it. 
12 games is too few to stay up but too many to waste chasing the inevitable playing awful bloody football. 

Why do we continue to handicap ourselves with Gilmour in the team? It's infuriating to watch.

It's like playing 10 v 11. He offers nothing, that I can see, he's one of the most ineffectual players I've seen in a City shirt.

Nothing personal against the lad but it's moved to the point where it's embarrassing. 

He can't tackle, he doesn't dribble past anyone, doesn't hold defensive shape, doesn't close anyone down quickly enough and I haven't seen any progressive passing from him to find one of our players in a match.

Still, he did take the freekick which McLean scored a header from against Wolves in the fa cup.

But even a broken watch is right twice a day.

I don't think I'll be able to watch another game where he's named in the starting lineup.

4 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Really? I said the same thing and I only got people agreeing 😂

Perhaps an exaggeration to say hounded, but my takes on the gilmour situation were certainly not wholly agreed with - I didn’t see as many posters vocalising replacing him as I expected - considering barely a handful actually appeared to rate him in an NCFC shirt.

I had someone claim that the termination fees of replacing his loan were far too much - though I can’t understand why Chelsea would willingly deter the development of one of their better prospects when the loan / termination fees are immaterial to them. My argument was that continuing to pay his wages was just as much a sunk cost as the termination payment anyway…

Personally we could’ve sent him back and not replaced him and we’d probably be better off (particularly now we’re nearly at full fitness) given he seems to be favoured over our other options, who have offered more. 

Agree,  tonight was a game Gilmour needed to step up   Instead of that, Rashica had to work his **** off in a deeper position which blunted any chance of him  truly affecting the game.  Smith really got this one wrong.

Actually, is taking Gilmour in loan from Chelski an indirect financing of Putin's war in Ukraine? If so, surely under sanctions we can send him back?

• Like 1

He wasn't alone in being abject tonight - Aarons was dreadful yet again, so was Williams. Normann is so clearly unfit. The set up was completely wrong with the players available. I don't get how Byram doesn't start at right back in place of Aarons and Sorensen should be there instead of Maclean or Gilmour, who are both just pointless. Gilmour has started 15 games and has done precisely nothing in any of them - a complete passenger again tonight.

• Like 1

The only ones to emerge with any credit from last night's game were Gunn and Hanley. Gilmour was completely anonymous, but he wasn't the only one. McLean was utter tosh to the extent that Rashica was getting pulled out of position to cover him, Normann clearly isn't fit, Sargent is utterly plop. And the rest were mediocre at best.

With Normann and now Rupp back, we do certainly have enough options to not start him. Unless he's going to recycle possession really well and create chances there is no point in him as he can't help us out defensively in any way.

A bit of a misleading stat because quite a few of those games were against the top six. On the other hand, I am of the opinion that this loan has not been worthwhile for either party.

not significantly.  He played in 6 matches against current top 6 teams.

He also didnt play in 3 matches against current top 6

if you adjust for top 6:

Games against teams outside top 6 with Gilmour  - 9 games 5 pts

Games against teams outside top 6 without Gilmour  - 8 matches 12 pts

We have lost three of our midfield from last season (not saying it would have set the EPL alight of course) in Emi, Todd and Ollie. And what has come in has been nowhere near as fluent and good. Even Normann who gets so much praise is not up to their standard.

We can moan at Hanley's mistakes last night and whether Gibson should be stronger but its always the engine room that wins or loses games. And to be honest, I am not confident the midfield players we have will make us favourites next season (accepting we are going down).

PLM: Maybe a decent pass in him but not any real flair and very lightweight.

Kenny: A squad player in the Championship at best. Hard worker but limited.

Rupp: Probably well suited to the Championship. But higher?

Rashica: Think he will be a major success.

Placheta: Confused by him. Not what I was expecting. Only a bit player last season.

Dowell: Not EPL and not enough shown in the Championship. Move him on I think.

Tzolis: Start all over again next season. Got to give him a chance.

Sorenson: Stitched on for the Championship surely. Calm and collected and holds his position.

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

Kenny: A squad player in the Championship at best. Hard worker but limited.

Agree with your post in general but given that Kenny played virtually every game in a Championship-winning team, that does seem a bit harsh.