Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Erikson to Brentford confirmed

Brentford manager Thomas Frank, speaking about new signing Christian Eriksen: “I am looking forward to working with Christian again. It has been a while since I last coached him, and a lot has happened since then. Christian was 16 at the time and has become one of the best midfield players to appear in the Premier League. He has also won trophies all over Europe and become the star of the Danish national team.

“We have taken an unbelievable opportunity to bring a World Class player to Brentford. He hasn’t trained with a team for seven months but has done a lot of work on his own. He is fit but we will need to get him match fit and I am looking forward to seeing him work with the players and staff to get back towards his highest level.

“At his best, Christian has the ability to dictate games of football. He can find the right passes and is a goal threat. He also has very, very good set piece delivery, both from corners and direct free kicks. He is a player you can find with the ball, and he will come up with a solution to the problem in front of him. Christian will also bring experience of top level football to the club. I expect him to have an impact in the dressing room and at the training ground."

2 minutes ago, Mengo said:

Brentford manager Thomas Frank, speaking about new signing Christian Eriksen: “I am looking forward to working with Christian again. It has been a while since I last coached him, and a lot has happened since then. Christian was 16 at the time and has become one of the best midfield players to appear in the Premier League. He has also won trophies all over Europe and become the star of the Danish national team.

“We have taken an unbelievable opportunity to bring a World Class player to Brentford. He hasn’t trained with a team for seven months but has done a lot of work on his own. He is fit but we will need to get him match fit and I am looking forward to seeing him work with the players and staff to get back towards his highest level.

“At his best, Christian has the ability to dictate games of football. He can find the right passes and is a goal threat. He also has very, very good set piece delivery, both from corners and direct free kicks. He is a player you can find with the ball, and he will come up with a solution to the problem in front of him. Christian will also bring experience of top level football to the club. I expect him to have an impact in the dressing room and at the training ground."

So it's not just a Danish connection it is actually a returning to his youth coach who made him the player he is connection... 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cornish sam said:

So it's not just a Danish connection it is actually a returning to his youth coach who made him the player he is connection... 

Don't worry though- Spencer says we would have been able to sign him! 😉

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Yet again every team in the table doing all they can to make themselves stronger while we decide to do nothing, fun times.

Why are you making this out? In reality the window has been very quiet.

Arsenal

Burnley

Palace

Leicester

Man City

Man Utd

Southampton

Spurs

West Ham

And Us, are all yet to make a single incoming signing. Of the rest, 4 have only signed one player, debatable how many out of those individual signings for the four clubs are actually for the first team this season.

So when you say every club, you actually mean less than half the f*cking division.

A big name, and a once great player, but has he played since the summer? I suppose time will tell, but I guess he will be used very sparingly initially, and in that case is he the player to dig you out of a relegation scrap? 

Come on he was very hit and miss at Spurs, sure great on his day but very often (more often than not) he was missing in action.  Repeat that and Brentford won't get many points this season.

48 minutes ago, Thumbbass said:

A big name, and a once great player, but has he played since the summer? I suppose time will tell, but I guess he will be used very sparingly initially, and in that case is he the player to dig you out of a relegation scrap? 

A great signing for Brentford. His class alone will probably lift the rest of the team even if he doesn't play a lot, or often. Low risk for them too with a 6 month contract

Edited by AJ
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, hogesar said:

So when you say every club, you actually mean less than half the f*cking division

Good point in general. But Burnley have just signed an enormous Dutchman.

1 hour ago, shefcanary said:

Come on he was very hit and miss at Spurs, sure great on his day but very often (more often than not) he was missing in action.  Repeat that and Brentford won't get many points this season.

Let's be honest though had we signed him this forum would be exploding and creaming our pants about this huge massive signing thats one of the best transfers in this clubs history..

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

Arsenal

Burnley

Palace

Leicester

Man City

Man Utd

Southampton

Spurs

West Ham

And Us, are all yet to make a single incoming signing. Of the rest, 4 have only signed one player, debatable how many out of those individual signings for the four clubs are actually for the first team this season.

So when you say every club, you actually mean less than half the f*cking division.

3 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Let's be honest though had we signed him this forum would be exploding and creaming our pants about this huge massive signing thats one of the best transfers in this clubs history..

You ignoring Hoggy's point - about your persistant fact avoidance? 

@cambridgeshire canary

9 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Let's be honest though had we signed him I would be exploding and creaming my pants about this huge massive signing thats one of the best transfers in this clubs history..

That's more like it. 

Nice to see how other clubs are buying players, even if it's just one or two, and yet in the words of Slaven Bilic, "Norwich arent even trying anything". If we end up going down in the end after the good chance we've given ourselves then not bolstering the squad this month will be seen as a big mistake.

Arsenal

Burnley

Palace

Leicester

Man City

Man Utd

Southampton

Spurs

West Ham

Silly Hog, all this information doesn't fit CCs narrative of shock postings that tell everyone why Norwich are useless, regardless of actual foundation.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Flying Dutchman said:

Silly Hog, all this information doesn't fit CCs narrative of shock postings that tell everyone why Norwich are useless, regardless of actual foundation.

How dare you say something that's true about me

1 minute ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

How dare you say something that's true about me

Id stop now - before you embarrass yourself anymore!  

• Haha 1

I wonder how many games he'll end up playing? Good signing though if they can get him on the pitch regularly.

As a general point there has been much talk of how some teams have 'strengthened' in the window.....signing somebody from abroad with a fancy name and hefty price tag doesn't necessarily mean a stronger team. Especially in the January window. And as has been pointed out most teams have brought nobody in. 

44 minutes ago, SeaPallingBee said:

Brilliant free signing. With Raya back in goal soon and JDS returning from a long term injury we should be safe in midtable. 

I remember you, you said Brentord wsould be finishing 8th.. Hows it going?

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

Definitely an impressive name to bring to the club. He was - and possibly still is - a fantastic footballer, I guess whether it is a masterstroke or not will depend on how long it takes him to get to match fitness and whether he can sustain the levels. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Duncan Edwards said:

Definitely an impressive name to bring to the club. He was - and possibly still is - a fantastic footballer, I guess whether it is a masterstroke or not will depend on how long it takes him to get to match fitness and whether he can sustain the levels. 

Absolutely this.

I assume they're also hoping to persuade him to stay longer than the initial deal, which if he recaptures his previous form, would be an absolutely fantastic deal for a club like Brentford.

43 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

I remember you, you said Brentord wsould be finishing 8th.. Hows it going?

I think I said 10-8 th. Only 3 points between 10 position currently. With a full squad back now, or very nearly. Yep still think that’s possible. Thanks for asking.

Forget Brentford, they have too many points already. It's a 4 horse race to the last survival place, no other team is getting dragged into it, they all either have too much of a cushion or too much quality

Edited by Christoph Stiepermann

Its great bit of business for Brentford. 

Yes, it was a heart condition. But it's been sorted. He's got medical clearance.

8 months out? It's not that long. No way his attributes will have diminished, a very exciting signing for the Bee's. I'm looking forward to seeing him play, just not in a few weeks at Carrow Road!

IMO an excellent signing, almost ‘nothing to lose’, other than his wages. Could well be the impetus to lift them out of the rut they’ve fallen into. Annoyingly, it is only going to intensify the media ‘love in’ with the ‘plucky Bees’.