Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Dan Burn to Newcastle..

1 minute ago, spencer 1970 said:

Logical move no? Decent money for him at near 30 and he's a Skunk fan so his last chance to play for his boyhood team.

It does make sense, but sadly he's statisticly one of the best English defenders in the Prem and wlll be next to Tripper.

Newcastle really are making a good job of staying up 🙃

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

It does make sense, but sadly he's statisticly one of the best English defenders in the Prem and wlll be next to Tripper.

Oh I agree. I went to Fulham away years ago and we didnt get a look in that night with him at the back, I thought he should have done far better with his career. At least he has a shot now. Solid.

Not good for us though. Daymn!

If we do go down, then obviously we would prefer to go down with Watford & Burnley. If we stay up, then Newcastle have failed. A win-win scenario for us. 

The nightmare scenario would be going down with Newcastle together. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, spencer 1970 said:

and he's a Skunk fan

That might explain those  occasional  lapses if concentration. 😇😉👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Bovril said:

If we do go down, then obviously we would prefer to go down with Watford & Burnley. If we stay up, then Newcastle have failed. A win-win scenario for us. 

The nightmare scenario would be going down with Newcastle together. 

This as much as I’d like to see Newcastle go down it’s only good for us if we stay up. If we get relegated we want Newcastle to stay up as they will easily buy the Championship title.

Another purchase strengthening themselves while taking away from their competitors

Edited by KiwiScot

What can we do? Even if we could compete on transfer fee, we can't compete on wages.

Interesting that none of the pundits criticise Newcastle for effectively buying survival but they're all ready to put the boot in us for not being able to do that.

9 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

What can we do? Even if we could compete on transfer fee, we can't compete on wages.

Interesting that none of the pundits criticise Newcastle for effectively buying survival but they're all ready to put the boot in us for not being able to do that.

Mostly talk****e being talk****e, going on about us lacking ambition while ignoring that we broke our record transfer fee twice..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Yes, it's a shame but exactly what I expected to happen. Dan Burn has had a good season and he is from the North East and will probably slot in easily.

7 hours ago, CANARYKING said:

Probably on a hundred grand a week

He won't be on 100k a week 🤣

He won't be earning more than 50k a week.

Edited by Move Klose

8 hours ago, KiwiScot said:

Another purchase strengthening themselves while taking away from their competitors

Brighton... on 30pts... hard to see them doing anything but stay up tbh. They'd have to suffer some sort of catastrophic implosion and a good half a dozen teams to see a run of form they haven't seen all season for them to become relegation candidates.

Solid if unspectacular. They are shoring up at the back, Wood the main attacking reinforcement. About 24hrs left to go as well.

Have to say, not really that wowed by what they have done so far. Solid if unspectacular would be my reaction. They need them to settle quickly for sure. Trippier, Burn and Wood will be the faster starters in that regard so could hit the ground running. 

• Like 1

I love the way that everybody seems to think that these new Newcastle players are suddenly going to gel into a team that is going to set the World on fire and rapidly climb up the table.

I'll admit that there is a chance of that but then again, there is a bigger chance that they won't.

We have seen for ourselves, all too frequently and recently, that players brought in to save a sinking ship rarely do.

I won't name any as I'm sure you can quickly compile your own list of expensive failures that were going to prevent us from being relegated but ultimately didn't.

Then Howe has to get them playing in a way that would make them almost unrecognisible from the team that they are at the moment.

17 games might look like a lot but it is not a lot when you don't have much wiggle room.

Looks like Robbie Savage was right about something for once all because of the Saudi takeover/oil money….. “If anyone is going to get out of that bottom three, it’s Newcastle”.

Man City took a while after their takeover to get going, so I think in say five years time, Newcastle will be challenging for the title. For now they’ll be a midtable outfit then challenging for top 4, before they become a title challenger.

Not good news for us at all is this shewd investing they are doing.

Edited by KernowCanary

9 hours ago, canarybubbles said:

And the same pundits lament the chaos at Derby, no doubt.

I still don't see who is going to score Newcastle's goals. They have so far bought two defenders and a CDM so I get that they might get some clean sheets. Draws won't save them though and I don't see Wood scoring that many.

If norwich were to get the giant Dan Burn should have been after he left Fulham for the delights of Wigan.  Can't have been for the prestige.  Looked an absolete beast in that game against Norwich at Fulham about 7 years ago.  One that got away but maybe never even looked for.

18 hours ago, Making Plans said:

I love the way that everybody seems to think that these new Newcastle players are suddenly going to gel into a team that is going to set the World on fire and rapidly climb up the table.

I'll admit that there is a chance of that but then again, there is a bigger chance that they won't.

We have seen for ourselves, all too frequently and recently, that players brought in to save a sinking ship rarely do.

I won't name any as I'm sure you can quickly compile your own list of expensive failures that were going to prevent us from being relegated but ultimately didn't.

Then Howe has to get them playing in a way that would make them almost unrecognisible from the team that they are at the moment.

17 games might look like a lot but it is not a lot when you don't have much wiggle room.

You may be right, and I hope you are, but they don't have to shoot up the league - they probably only have to get to 36 points, perhaps even fewer. 

23 hours ago, sgncfc said:

I still don't see who is going to score Newcastle's goals. They have so far bought two defenders and a CDM so I get that they might get some clean sheets. Draws won't save them though and I don't see Wood scoring that many.

Saint Max and Wilson, when the latter is fit. Wood could be a good focal point, they have decent wide options, even Joelinton is better there, despite still being well over priced.

I think Newcastle will feel pretty confident they've got enough to stay up and I would think so too. They haven't gone for prestige but they've gone for reliable players who knows this league. I can't see them being worse than us, Watford and Burnley come the end of the season

• Like 1

21 hours ago, AJ said:

I think Newcastle will feel pretty confident they've got enough to stay up and I would think so too. They haven't gone for prestige but they've gone for reliable players who knows this league. I can't see them being worse than us, Watford and Burnley come the end of the season

I agree, the steady if unspectacular players... much will depend if they can be spectacular enough though... proof is in the pudding, not convinced they'll find it easy though. 

Newcastle still don't have goals in them, fully expect them to go down with Burnley and one of us, Watford, Leeds or Beloved Brentford. 

1 hour ago, Ken Hairy said:

Newcastle still don't have goals in them, fully expect them to go down with Burnley and one of us, Watford, Leeds or Beloved Brentford. 

They have an England international in Wilson who is coming back from injury soon, as well as Gayle and a new signing in Chris Wood. I'd certainly say that sounds a lot better than what we have!

8 hours ago, AJ said:

They have an England international in Wilson who is coming back from injury soon, as well as Gayle and a new signing in Chris Wood. I'd certainly say that sounds a lot better than what we have!

Wood has 3 for Burnley this season, Wilson out for longer than you appear to think from what I've heard and Gayle is utter gash. Like I said no goals still in that team.