cambridgeshire canary

So is Putin going to invade Ukraine anytime soon or..?

2 hours ago, Rock The Boat said:

If this is really what you think then you are weak, spineless and lacking in resilience. I imagine you enjoyed the lockdown.

Signed up yet boy?

• Haha 7

36 minutes ago, Van wink said:

a drain on economic and military resources to keep control, and a drain on political capacity as well.

I reckon you're right here, especially about the economy. I can imagine Russia being a pariah in the world for decades if indeed it all stops with taking Ukraine. How many countries will want to do business with them? Sport and culture? Who will want to participate? It will reset Europe in terms of gas consumption, accelerate greener ways of heating. Russians are going to face severe hardship. Their currency might completely collapse. How much money will they get through if they have to set and dig themselves in over the long term with constant insurgencies - maybe for decades. It's a country of 44m people. 

2 hours ago, Rock The Boat said:

If this is really what you think then you are weak, spineless and lacking in resilience. I imagine you enjoyed the lockdown.

I'd love to see you tell me that in person you bigoted, ignorant old git. Aren't you the one who posts quotes from that traitorous scum Farage aka the new Lord Haw-Haw? Can't wait for you and your ilk to hurry up and die out so we as a species can move on from your outdated, hateful, ignorant ideals which have been holding us back for so long. Resisting dogma and tyranny is not a weakness, giving into it is. I'm sick of dealing with people like you after the last few years, you're all lost causes, so I'm done with this conversation. See you in hell arsehole. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Wow, and here's me thinking RTB couldn't look any more pathetic.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

'kin hell, nukes, conscription, war in Europe, am I in a coma or something experiencing a nightmare? This is all so surreal. FWIW, if this does escalate and if we do end up at war any fighting will be utterly pointless, because one side will eventually start losing and will launch the nukes making everything everyone has ever fought and died for irrelevant, therefore  should we get to the stage conscription becomes utilized I will not be joining, they can stick a bullet in my head instead, aside from objecting due to futility I will not kill people because our elites and rulers can't decide where the lines on a map should be.

Can we also talk about how disgusting it is that if you just happen to have been born a certain gender and within a certain time window the expectation is that you will be forced to throw yourself into the meat grinder when the sh!1 hits the fan? Like if we as a race of people decided black women over the age of 60 will be forced to do something that could end up with them being killed or gravely wounded because otherwise they would be branded cowards in certain events I doubt everyone would be on board with that, I dunno, maybe it's just because im in the demographic of people who be forced to go out and act as human shields for the wealthy and elite in the face of bullets, rockets and grenades, but I find it pretty disgusting tbh, not just for me but for every other young man. 

Amen to this. You get members of the Royal Family with all these titles because they were born out of the right you-know-what, then you get “commoners” sent to war to possibly get killed against their own will, because they were born the wrong gender in the wrong timeframe when conscription was still around.

Russian and Belarusian athletes now banned from the Paralympics, after originally allowed to complete as neutrals.

Right decision there I say.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, kirku said:

I might agree with all or most of the gist of this BUT.

This makes the sanctions an existential threat to Russia and Putin in exactly the same manner an invading military force might present. Frankly I doubt Putin will see the difference with all that implies. The final response might be the same.

11 hours ago, kirku said:

Where did you get this please?

46 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

I might agree with all or most of the gist of this BUT.

This makes the sanctions an existential threat to Russia and Putin in exactly the same manner an invading military force might present. Frankly I doubt Putin will see the difference with all that implies. The final response might be the same.

I'm not so sure,

Shortages of basic products, a bloated military and constant balance of trade problems through an unsustainable contest with the west. It's back in the USSR.

Or as Putin would call it, the good old days.

7 minutes ago, 1902 said:

I'm not so sure,

Shortages of basic products, a bloated military and constant balance of trade problems through an unsustainable contest with the west. It's back in the USSR.

Or as Putin would call it, the good old days.

Sanctions haven't broken Iran and are unlikely to break Russia on any useful timescale.

Edited by ricardo
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Sanctions haven't broken Iran and are unlikely to break Russia on any useful timescale.

No comparison whatsoever. The EU and the UK are Russia's main import and export partner. And it is that partner imposing strict sanctions. The countries sanctioning Iran were not huge players in the Iranian economy.

In short, if I run a business, it's going to a lot more ****ed if a client that accounts for 40% of my turnover suddenly decides they don't actually want to do business with me, than if a small few clients who account for between 1-3% of my turnover makes the same decision.

And Iran did get somewhat broken by the sanctions.

Edited by canarydan23
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I do wish Truss would keep her comments down, she’s ****ing dangerous!

I tend to agree that sanctions ultimately will possibly lead to a deceleration of war, as  yachts homes and money are all being taken by the EU, it’s just a matter of time.

The sooner China takes the lead to broker a deal the better, I don’t think China want a full blown nuclear war!

This is an interesting insight into the mindset of the very brave have-a-go from the armchair gob****es, from the Daily Mash. 😉

WAR with shifty foreign tyrant Putin is on the way, so it’s time for all those gammons who defeated Hitler by voting Leave to enlist. Here’s six reasons to volunteer: 

You can finally walk the walk

You’ve been replaying D-Day in your mind for decades, and now’s your chance to live it. Imagine the thrill of dodging real live ammo fired by trained Russian soldiers instead of watching GB News in your underpants. Make your imaginary grandad in the RAF proud.

War is fun

In the war films you adore, Jerries drop like flies after a quick burst from your Sten. All the chaps respect each other, and there’s the bonus of boning hotties like Mary Ure from Where Eagles Dare. There’s no chance war will be brief, terrifying and you’ll get your feet blown off.

You’re made of sterner stuff

You’re not technically a soldier yet, but you don’t need soft civilian luxuries like nice food, a comfy bed and the sidebar slags of Mail Online. You’d rather be in a barracks full of farting blokes or sleeping in a freezing dugout in Kharkov. This is going to rock!

Everyone’s happy in wartime

WW2 was a magical time of sing-songs and community spirit. You’d lend a neighbour your last sliver of lard and young people had discipline. Let’s go back to that. They’ll be cheering out of the windows of your new-build cul-de-sac when you return home having whipped the Russian bear.

It’ll **** off the EU

Britain’s coming to Europe’s rescue – again. So stick that up your unelected gallic ****, Michel Barnier. And when you get back to Blighty you can give all the Remoaners a white feather. It’s going to be even more fun than Poppy Day.

You were born to kill

You’ve always known that, if you’d not been written off by school, you’d be a natural in the SAS. Or the Paras. Or a Navy SEAL. So you’re hardly going to pass up the chance to be a real soldier up against brutal Russian commandos, are you? Oh, there’s a vaccine requirement and you’re a free-born Englishman so you can’t? Such a shame.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

22 minutes ago, Mr Apples said:

This is an interesting insight into the mindset of the very brave have-a-go from the armchair gob****es, from the Daily Mash. 😉

WAR with shifty foreign tyrant Putin is on the way, so it’s time for all those gammons who defeated Hitler by voting Leave to enlist. Here’s six reasons to volunteer: 

You’ve been replaying D-Day in your mind for decades, and now’s your chance to live it. Imagine the thrill of dodging real live ammo fired by trained Russian soldiers instead of watching GB News in your underpants. Make your imaginary grandad in the RAF proud.

War is fun

In the war films you adore, Jerries drop like flies after a quick burst from your Sten. All the chaps respect each other, and there’s the bonus of boning hotties like Mary Ure from Where Eagles Dare. There’s no chance war will be brief, terrifying and you’ll get your feet blown off.

You’re not technically a soldier yet, but you don’t need soft civilian luxuries like nice food, a comfy bed and the sidebar slags of Mail Online. You’d rather be in a barracks full of farting blokes or sleeping in a freezing dugout in Kharkov. This is going to rock!

WW2 was a magical time of sing-songs and community spirit. You’d lend a neighbour your last sliver of lard and young people had discipline. Let’s go back to that. They’ll be cheering out of the windows of your new-build cul-de-sac when you return home having whipped the Russian bear.

It’ll **** off the EU

Britain’s coming to Europe’s rescue – again. So stick that up your unelected gallic ****, Michel Barnier. And when you get back to Blighty you can give all the Remoaners a white feather. It’s going to be even more fun than Poppy Day.

You were born to kill

You’ve always known that, if you’d not been written off by school, you’d be a natural in the SAS. Or the Paras. Or a Navy SEAL. So you’re hardly going to pass up the chance to be a real soldier up against brutal Russian commandos, are you? Oh, there’s a vaccine requirement and you’re a free-born Englishman so you can’t? Such a shame.

Yes - Quite a good synopsis of those that haven't a clue but a fantasy.

War and modern munitions are frightful. Rightly or wrongly I know. If you have to fight a war do so but end it quickly please. It is not a place for toy soldiers or armchair generals. Least of all fantasists.

Lastly I recall a sci-fi book I read once (one of the RAMA series) - where an otherwise peaceful race if ultimately forced to war would prosecute that war as ruthlessly and swiftly as possible. However once won the 'leaders' would be considered 'damaged goods' and ritually commit suicide so as not to damage future generations. Sounds like an excellent idea.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, ricardo said:

Saturday nights will be quiet then.

Sorry forgot about Riverside Road. You need a Kalashnikov just to get a Taxi I understand.

2 hours ago, 1902 said:

Where did you get this please?

Dmitry Grozoubinski twitter translation. 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, kick it off said:

Well KG, that rather depends if you believe Putin is telling the truth about his motive. Personally, given some of the stuff he's said over recent years about Ukraine not being a real country etc, and Putin's general lack of truth, I would reckon on it being more to be about legacy and empire building than any real concerns about Ukraine joining nato.

After all, presume Russia takes Ukraine, that leaves the New Russian superstate bordering Poland, Slovakia, Hungary and Romania... all members of nato. Not wanting nato on his doorstep doesn't really stack up as a logical argument.

But NATO was a sideshow excuse wasn't it? Russia was invited to join NATO under Yeltsin.

I've been listening, reading and watching all the opinions on Putin's motives and come to this conclusion.

Surely Putin is envious of Ukraine. The people did exactly what he does. Their elected leader, who decided to side with Moscow was ousted by protest and storming of the Parliament. So Putin is faced with a Bruce Forsyth as the new leader of Ukraine. And a younger man who wants what the West has. And so do the people. And the economy improves. And people are happier. And wealthier. And warmer.

Putin, after the initial economic boom in Russia is now in the midst of a crisis. His people are now losing their independence of the 90s. They are back to cheating at Sport just to compete for example.

And China. China has played the best hand you could get. Expand. Westernise. Raise the standard of living of all of your citizens a hundred fold while at the same time taking away any rights they thought they had. And with your new found industrial wealth, give so much of it away to emerging nations who will let you make the Chinese make them an offer they can't refuse.

So Putin has the West eroding any influence he has to his west while he has his eastern vision blurred by a different Red Flag than he was used to.

He has to show his dissatisfied people that he is the man to continue as Leader. Strength. That will show them how good a Leader I am. Just like the old days. And there is his mistake. Ivan doesn't want to go back to the old days.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mr Apples said:

War is fun

It’ll **** off the EU

You were born to kill

“War is Fun”, reminds me of the adult Damien Trotter in Rodney’s dream saying to “Uncle Rodney”…. “War is good!”.

It’s not so funny these days and any repeats on Gold will definitely remove that line of dialogue.

Still, good piece that, had me in stiches, Daily Mash never fails to see the funny side in all that’s bad.

Edited by KernowCanary

2 hours ago, Mr Apples said:

War is fun

It’ll **** off the EU

You were born to kill

Surely Ingrid Pitt first?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, ricardo said:

That's true, and I don't think breaking Russia is the aim, there's not many winners from that circumstance in reality. However it degrades the ability of Russia to wage further wars. It doesn't save Ukraine, but it may well help others from facing the same fate. 

I don't think he would attack NATO, but Georgia and the Central Asian Republics maybe a bit more worried.

If the current estimate is that Russia is losing €15 billion a day on this war, by contrast to a total annual government budget of €450 billion and is under sanctions, it will take a long old time before Putin will be in a position to attempt something similar.

17 minutes ago, 1902 said:

That's true, and I don't think breaking Russia is the aim, there's not many winners from that circumstance in reality. However it degrades the ability of Russia to wage further wars. It doesn't save Ukraine, but it may well help others from facing the same fate. 

I don't think he would attack NATO, but Georgia and the Central Asian Republics maybe a bit more worried.

If the current estimate is that Russia is losing €15 billion a day on this war, by contrast to a total annual government budget of €450 billion and is under sanctions, it will take a long old time before Putin will be in a position to attempt something similar.

Or he just presses one button!

We have to start to look at getting a way out of this now, if it’s the Chinese so be it, but there has to be a a road for Russia or it will get far worse.

Edited by Indy

Just now, keelansgrandad said:

And achieves what?

Nothing but if you push too hard the regime will feel they’ve got nothing else to turn to! Be careful…..

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Indy said:

Or he just presses one button!

We have to start to look at getting a way out of this now, if it’s the Chinese so be it, but there has to be a a road for Russia or it will get far worse.

Right, well there isn't a way out of it without selling the Ukrainians down the river as it's clear that Putin is not going to end the war tomorrow. 

What are you proposing we offer him so that your fears of nuclear war are lessened? And what (or who) are you prepared to sacrifice to do that?

56 minutes ago, Indy said:

Nothing but if you push too hard the regime will feel they’ve got nothing else to turn to! Be careful…..

No-one will do that. He is pictured in the media as a cunning rat but I think you have to credit him with some intelligence.

As Sting sang "If the Russians love their children too".

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Indy said:

33 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

No-one will do that. He is pictured in the media as a cunning rat but I think you have to credit him with some intelligence.

As Sting sang "If the Russians love their children too".

I'm basically with Indy on this. Putin has said what he will do and he will do it. It's no bluff. As far as he's concerned battlefield nuclear weapons are just a bigger bomb/stick. We need to stop thinking like rational war adverse 'Westerners' and more like a North Korean dictator. The odd test never did any harm or a ballistic missile overflying Japan if you want something!

He will call our bluff and if needed and unleash a small nuke to scare you. Not over Ukraine, not NATO, but somewhere offshore etc. Why - because he knows we'll blink. It won't escalate.

We can simply choose where to confront him. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Indy said:

I'm with you on this. Warnings before this war have been the Skripal poisonings on UK soil, Litvinenko, Navalnhy. Not once has Putin or Lavrov rowed back, indeed they keep upping the ante with references pointing to 'nuclear' threats. Today Macron was told that "the worst is yet to come". 

What do you do? Keep up the media and political pressure, sanction, support Ukrainian refugees but at what point do you act?

YF....just seen your response as I'm typing. Snap.

• Like 1