Sign in to follow this  
mastoola

Tom Dickson-Peters

Just now, Thirsty Lizard said:

A very promising player at U23 level. See the thread about tonight's game. 

I have    But he deserves being discussed on his own merit.  When do you give him a chance?  

2 minutes ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

I'd rather have Clarissa Dickson Wright.

Only joking, that was just for comedic effect.

Have you told your wife?

1 minute ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Playing against under 23's which are about the same quality as the 10th divison.

Diccuss.

Or Ipswich...

3 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Playing against under 23's which are about the same quality as the 10th divison.

Diccuss.

Stupid comment as always!!   With that attitude i would never have watched Michael Owen score in the world cup 98

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Diccuss.

The worse the opposition, the easier it is to see who's class. 

Like when Homer Simpson entered the kids competition. 

1 hour ago, mastoola said:

so why have a u23 team?  the stats are huge?

Quite. Perhaps that is why Brentford don't bother?

4 minutes ago, essex canary said:

Brentford don’t bother because they have too many other clubs in close proximity, some of whom have been more successful in attracting players. The situation for Norwich is radically different.

Unfortunately I don’t think Smith will bring any youngsters in no matter what they do in the youth team, he’ll probably go with Hugill as he’s a seasoned pro, even though he’s bloody ****e!

7 minutes ago, essex canary said:

They don't bother because they have Chelsea, Arsenal, Tottenham, and West Ham in their catchment area stealing all the best kids. Those sides are all in the top 7 at the moment as it happens.

Would cost them a minimum of £2m a year to run an academy, only to have those clubs pinch their best 12 year olds.

2 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

Brentford don’t bother because they have too many other clubs in close proximity, some of whom have been more successful in attracting players. The situation for Norwich is radically different.

That still leaves the question as to how is it possible to bridge the gap between under 23 football and the first team? The good old days of straightforward reserve team football seem far more sensible.

2 minutes ago, Indy said:

Unfortunately I don’t think Smith will bring any youngsters in no matter what they do in the youth team, he’ll probably go with Hugill as he’s a seasoned pro, even though he’s bloody ****e!

Is that a fair criticism when it was him who brought through Jacob Ramsey at Villa, a player who scored a great goal against us 3 days ago? 

If they are good enough he will use them. 

Just now, essex canary said:

That still leaves the question as to how is it possible to bridge the gap between under 23 football and the first team? The good old days of straightforward reserve team football seem far more sensible.

Well loans to the Championship, League One & League Two obviously?

1 minute ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Well loans to the Championship, League One & League Two obviously?

Then on many occasions they end up there permanently rather than playing for us and 100 miles is surely not a barrier to big London Clubs?

I understand Abu Kamara has trained with the first team since Smith arrived...

https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/dean-smith-tactics-transfer-targets-norwich-city-new-manager-1311050

It's an interesting one. Kamara started out in defensive midfield..

https://www.canaries.co.uk/content/abu-kamara-i-would-like-to-push-on-and-potentially-get-a-debut-with-the-first-team

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Is that a fair criticism when it was him who brought through Jacob Ramsey at Villa, a player who scored a great goal against us 3 days ago? 

If they are good enough he will use them. 

TVB was just having a wind up! I was critical of Smith using Byram as a midfielder when we have youngsters available! Not being serious, but reality is he’s certainly knocking on the door, if he is that good even at under 23 it’s a chance to shine in a area we need help in!

9 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

I understand Abu Kamara has trained with the first team since Smith arrived...

https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/dean-smith-tactics-transfer-targets-norwich-city-new-manager-1311050

It's an interesting one. Kamara started out in defensive midfield..

https://www.canaries.co.uk/content/abu-kamara-i-would-like-to-push-on-and-potentially-get-a-debut-with-the-first-team

Interesting. This under 21s just seems hard to evaluate. I recall watching Adam Phillips and thinking he has real potential. He is now 23 years old and playing for Morecombe albeit on loan from Burnley. Maybe the odd gem justifies the investment?

42 minutes ago, essex canary said:

Then on many occasions they end up there permanently rather than playing for us and 100 miles is surely not a barrier to big London Clubs?

Our club has an excellent track record in recent years of bringing through good Championship or Premier League level players so I'm not sure I really understand your point. 

If our U18's have a squad of 20 players then yes a few will drop out of the game, a load will end up in non-league, a few in the lower leagues, perhaps a few in the top two tiers, that's just standard isn't it? You'll have people in the Arsenal, Man Utd, Chelsea U18 teams who end up not making it in the game. 

At the end of the day we also have a duty of care to give players the greatest chance of making it in the game, so if we loan a player to League Two and they don't really show that they belong at a higher level and end up in League Two, that is still a successful outcome.

Not really sure what your question is really... Lewis and Aarons have shown that the pathway doesn't always require a loan, they went straight into the first team, Godfrey and Cantwell benefited from one. Then in recent years you've had a few that have been close to being good enough but not quite got there, like Toffolo and Carlton Morris who are in the Championship.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Diccuss.

Biggus Diccuss?.....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Indy said:

What makes you say this, where’s the evidence? Smith has been here 5 minutes, and I think his priorities to blood youth team players is somewhat sidelined to the Premier League survival. Though in fairness I have no sight of his Villa exploits. One thing we can’t knock Farke for was his ability to throw youth players into the mix when needed / ready.

Whilst agreeing playing as an attacker is different to being a defender are we forgetting that big Andy is still a teenager. Some would say he is our best centre back. He was given the chance and stepped up. Who is to say that one of the Under 23s who have been playing well and scoring goals would not do the same.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Yellow Wal said:

Whilst agreeing playing as an attacker is different to being a defender are we forgetting that big Andy is still a teenager. Some would say he is our best centre back. He was given the chance and stepped up. Who is to say that one of the Under 23s who have been playing well and scoring goals would not do the same.

Excactly this. If they really are showing they are no better than Idah,then we may as well send them on their way,as I for one can not see what Idah brings to the table.

Not sure how we can even question the u23 levels when you look at who's successfully made the switch into the first team squad. U23 = 10th Division is a bit disrespectful? Some of those players are more than able to compete professionally even now. Most will go out on loan at Championship or League One level now I'd imagine.

As the old saying goes, "if they are good enough they are old enough". Clearly our attacking options are woefully short of what is needed and so short of a decent signing in the next window the lads should be given a chance to shine.