Sign in to follow this  
Midlands Yellow

Why Are Brentford Above Us?

They probably play at a higher tempo, they certainly did when DF was our coach.

But ultimately its about taking your chances. Same with Watford (except their defence is poor). You cannot expect to compete by only scoring 8 goals and apart from Pukki its left to the defenders. Pukki scores early on last week and the game changes, Spuirs are knocked off their game plan.

Bentford have chanced their arm and good luck to them for doing so. Its not up to us to slag off a team for doing better than us.

I've been waiting for them to slide back into to the relegation mix but after last night I think I probably have to give up on that happening. They're probably four wins and four draws from safety.

Lots of good thoughts on their success relative to ours; I think it's a combination of the factors mentioned above. More physical team better suited to the Prem (especially in the fine margins of actually getting results- look how Liverpool had no answer to them overloading the back post); euphoria of it being their first season; kind fixtures at the start allowing them confidence. I'm pretty jealous, tbh.

We are also missing Cantwell, who last season was one of our key players too.  So three of our best players are missing, that’s been a big hole to fill, the settled Brentford squad I feel is probably the main factor.
I’ve wondered how well we may have done with the same team from last season and I think we would certainly be higher up the league. 

11 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

I'm pretty jealous, tbh.

I agree, and it’s always the same. Feels like instead of taking the scenic route we always have to go via the cliff face. And things never fall for us, look at Rashica finding form then getting injured. It’s like “come the fkk on football, give us a chance.” 

Just now, Danke bitte said:

And things never fall for us, look at Rashica finding form then getting injured. It’s like “come the fkk on football, give us a chance.” 

Wait till you find out Tzolis has covid 🙈

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Wait till you find out Tzolis has covid 🙈

I just saw 🙄 and then that could take him weeks to get back to fitness depending on how it hits him. 

Personally I think it’s these fine margins which will relegate us. Just losing key personnel at the wrong times and not having enough quality in depth to replace them. 

I still think Webber fudged the summer window and that hasn’t helped things. And Farke’s freezing out of Cantwell and Idah when had both had minutes under their belts by know could have meant the difference between beating Wolves and Newcastle and having an extra 6 points on the board. It’s really sad tbh. 

Scars from the past? That works 2 ways. There should be an ability to build on past experience. As a Club are we sufficiently robust?

Then again we are where we are and Dean Smith is moving in that direction without being too disruptive. Robustness needs to be there in all aspects of Club business such as fan engagement etc.

To carve out a Premier League future we will need more horizon vision and fewer excuses going forwards.

Probably for the same reason they are also above Watford. It is interesting that of the promoted teams it is the team that has not played in the Premier League that is doing well. The same thing happened when we were promoted along with Sheff Utd, I know they have played in the Premier League before but it was a long time ago, so maybe being an "unknown quantity" works in your favour?.......

5 hours ago, hogesar said:

I dont think I've seen a player in the Premier League lack the ability to connect their foot with the ball the amount of times Sargent has.

It is a worry. I know the lad's confidence will be low, and that will obviously have an impact, but his touch looks so so poor. I'm not sure all the coaching in the world can help with that.

OTBC

3 hours ago, Danke bitte said:

I just saw 🙄 and then that could take him weeks to get back to fitness depending on how it hits him. 

Personally I think it’s these fine margins which will relegate us. Just losing key personnel at the wrong times and not having enough quality in depth to replace them. 

I still think Webber fudged the summer window and that hasn’t helped things. And Farke’s freezing out of Cantwell and Idah when had both had minutes under their belts by know could have meant the difference between beating Wolves and Newcastle and having an extra 6 points on the board. It’s really sad tbh. 

An extra 4 points, surely. 

6 hours ago, Danbury Yellow said:

We are also missing Cantwell, who last season was one of our key players too.  So three of our best players are missing, that’s been a big hole to fill, the settled Brentford squad I feel is probably the main factor.
I’ve wondered how well we may have done with the same team from last season and I think we would certainly be higher up the league. 

Settled squad you can’t be serious. You ignore the injuries to Raya, Ajer, Da Silva, Zanka and Fosu, and Toney and Pinnock catching COVID and Canos getting himself suspended.…we haven’t had a settled since the third game.

Edited by SeaPallingBee
Missed a player

19 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

They don’t have our model, they finished so many points adrift of us last season and we signed better players in the summer. Let’s discuss as adults yes? 

Because for the first 11 league games of this season we had an inadequate manager for this level of football, he was out of his depth and didn't have the ability or willingness to vary his tactics according to opposition.

It isn't complex. 

3 hours ago, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

It is a worry. I know the lad's confidence will be low, and that will obviously have an impact, but his touch looks so so poor. I'm not sure all the coaching in the world can help with that.

OTBC

He does something really good, and then follows it by displaying the first touch of an elephant, and like you.. I don't know whether that can be coached out of a player or not?

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

1 hour ago, SeaPallingBee said:

Settled squad you can’t be serious. You ignore the injuries to Raya, Ajer, Da Silva, Zanka and Fosu, and Toney and Pinnock catching COVID and Canos getting himself suspended.…we haven’t had a settled since the third game.

Well if I could be bothered to study the Brentford team then I would care.  I guess you’d probably be challenging for the top four if it wasn’t for that terrible situation.  You have my sympathy. 

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Brentford score when they get chances.

Guess who doesnt do that?

Wolves? 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Danbury Yellow said:

Well if I could be bothered to study the Brentford team then I would care.  I guess you’d probably be challenging for the top four if it wasn’t for that terrible situation.  You have my sympathy. 

Your sympathy I don’t need. But challenging for a top 8 to 10 position, yes. Come back and let me know when you are. 

First Prem season they were always going to start off relatively well and we will see whether they can keep the momentum going. To be honest we are evenly matched possibly even better than them in some aspects of the game but we have scored 8 goals this season. 

Edited by Alex

15 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Brentford score when they get chances.

Guess who doesnt do that?

Boring and thoughtless and somewhat wrong.

Yesterday we created chances, but before Smith came along our chances were slim pickings. We did much better yesterday so long may it continue.

The main reason Brentford are doing better is that they have maintained the momentum from last season, having not had to rebuild the side and adding a couple of players here and there. Already having two decent forward players has also helped them a lot as well as the likes of Jansson and Canos stepping up to look handy at this level despite not looking especially fantastic at Championship level.

Equally, we haven't yet seen the Cantwell of the previous three seasons level, and have only just started to see Rashica's true potential and glimpses from the likes of Tzolis, PLM, Kabak and Normann. With all of it slowly coming together.

9 hours ago, SeaPallingBee said:

Your sympathy I don’t need. But challenging for a top 8 to 10 position, yes. Come back and let me know when you are. 

Beginners luck not the only team to come back and have a good first season. Clubs hit its ceiling and it won't last.

Edited by Alex

More investment, better investment, clear plan. Everything our owners and board have failed at again. Look at our attack options...embarrassing. The players really try but there is zero quality

On 11/12/2021 at 11:32, Rolf Harris said:

Because we lost buendia and skipp. Neither have been replaced. We took the money and thought we could do better. 

No.

No one at the club has said anything like that. Both Farke and Webber said it was about trying to unearth another diamond in the rough that Buendia was when we first signed him. Trying to sign another certain Buendia was always said to be difficult as he was one of a kind and spotted before anyone else would take a gamble on him. Same goes for Maddison really. Sign them before other clubs are willing to take the gamble.

The issue is, other clubs don't sign them because they represent a bigger gamble. At championship level that is less of a gamble. In premier league? It's less forgiving and players need time.

17 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

How cutting! 

Your words, you said "lets discuss like adults".

What's your view?

One word "Organisation" they were from day one, we were not until game 10.  When Farke was sacked now we are we look a team but no goals unfortunately.  Too late to save us. 

14 hours ago, SeaPallingBee said:

One thing is pretty certain, you’re not going to be in Sea Palling in a few years time 😉