Sign in to follow this  
TeemuVanBasten

Was sacking Farke the right decision? (poll)

Were we right to sack Farke?  

115 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Were we right to sack Farke?

• Yes
    • No

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 13/11/21 at 23:59

A lot of this depends on who we ultimately replace him with.

A quality manager such as Favre, or someone with a proven record in avoiding relegation such as Hodgson - yes.

If it's Lampard imo no. Smith - well if he keeps us up totally, if not then no. Knutsen - well at least there is the hope that comes with the wild card option and we'll only know come the end of the season.

But I've voted no as it's looking like Frank and I think this is the worst availabe option and doesnt represent progress.

• Like 2

Those who are being put as front runners don’t really fit Webbers statement and don’t really have the CV to get excited about! But we move on, hopefully with Lampard, Smith worries me!

2 minutes ago, Yobocop said:

I don’t think I can answer this until the end of the season 

Take your time no rush.🤣

7 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

That would then be determined with hindsight wouldn't it.

Webber and the board had to make a call without knowing how the future would pan out, because nothing is certain in life or business or football.

3 minutes ago, Indy said:

Smith worries me!

The main issue I have with Smith is him jumping back into a job so soon after being sacked, it would be a bit weird, surely he should go and recharge his batteries on an all inclusive in Cuba, spend Christmas with his family etc. 

Would be odd to go from a stressful run of poor form and a dismissal straight into another job. I got made redundant once and took a month off to relax before job hunting, I was fortunate to be able to afford to do that I know, but Smith definitely can! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Webber and the board had to make a call without knowing how the future would pan out, because nothing is certain in life or business or football.

Hindsight is wonderful 🤭

3 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

True, but Webber at least knows who he intends to install as a replacement. He wasnt just thinking 'sack Farke', he was thinking 'replace Farke with Knutsen' or whatever. Which is more than we know.

Until we know who he replaces Farke with, it is only half the question.

The appropriate question will be, 'Were we correct to replace Farke with x?'

• Like 1

Just now, The Great Mass Debater said:

True, but Webber at least knows who he intends to install as a replacement. He wasnt just thinking 'sack Farke', he was thinking 'replace Farke with Knutsen' or whatever. Which is more than we know.

Until we know who he replaces Farke with, it is only half the question.

The appropriate question will be, 'Were we correct to replace Farke with x?'

Well you know me mate, I can start another poll with that question, of Cambridgeshire doesn't beat me to it.

4 minutes ago, Sideshow Tim said:

What's the point of this poll? 

He's gone and now part of our history. Move on. 

Because the fan-base is still split on this, and will be further swayed dependent on whom we appoint. 

If we appointed Pep Guardiola I dont think many would give Farke a second thought, gent though he is. If we appoint Steve Bruce on the other hand...

No to sack in after Brentford. Yes if we lost poorly to Southampton.

I don’t really get why they couldn’t have pulled the plug on the sacking just for another couple of weeks off the back of that game. The reaction at the end from the players, staff and fans felt huge.

Why couldn’t they just hold fire? They all looked like they’d seen a ghost so why did they have to go through with it?

Knowing that we went through with it, I really thought we were sacking him on the basis someone good was already lined up (Spurs took about 2 days to hire Conte, and Villa landed Gerrard after 4 days). We’ll be 6 days after sacking Farke tomorrow and still no announcement. It made total sense with someone ready in this way, but without it, and with some pretty underwhelming options being considered, I can’t help but feel I wish we stuck it out just a little longer.

It would quite possibly have proven to be a false dawn - hell it likely was - but Farke deserved to be given the chance to find out. One extra fixture and missing the international break would not be the end of the world, oddly enough we’ve now sat on the appointing process so long that the new manager won’t even benefit from the break! 

The good thing about it all is that him leaving in this way ensures Farke’s legacy stays totally intact. If a new manager comes in and does well, there’ll be an argument that this parting gift from Farke was the signal of a changing tide. If a new manager comes in and does poorly, then plenty of supporters will wish we stuck it out and never sacked him. 

• Like 2

God knows we all love DF, but how much evidence do people need that he couldn’t cope with the Premier League? Sticking with him would have meant resigning ourselves to yet another relegation after only 11 games of the season. Sadly, it was time.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Sideshow Tim said:

What's the point of this poll? 

He's gone and now part of our history. Move on. 

Its almost as if my thread title didn't make the subject of this thread clear enough.

Despite strongly objection to this polls existence, you still decided to click on it. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

2 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

God knows we all love DF, but how much evidence do people need that he couldn’t cope with the Premier League? Sticking with him would have meant resigning ourselves to yet another relegation after only 11 games of the season. Sadly, it was time.

Thank christ for your post. Spot on. And yes and yes again sadly it was time.

25 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Because the fan-base is still split on this, and will be further swayed dependent on whom we appoint. 

If we appointed Pep Guardiola I dont think many would give Farke a second thought, gent though he is. If we appoint Steve Bruce on the other hand...

And that changes what exactly? 

18 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Its almost as if my thread title didn't make the subject of this thread clear enough.

Despite strongly objection to this polls existence, you still decided to click on it. 

Nothing to do with the thread, just felt compelled to state that it's pretty pointless.

He's gone, it was sadly time for him to go. Let's move on. 

• Like 2

No for me.

If it's Pep or Jurgen that take over, I may reconsider, but otherwise. No.

Edit and if it's f*cking Lampard, I think Webber needs sacking.

Edited by All the Germans

14 minutes ago, Sideshow Tim said:

Nothing to do with the thread, just felt compelled to state that it's pretty pointless.

He's gone, it was sadly time for him to go. Let's move on. 

Agreed.

Especially when we already had the "should Farke be sacked" poll.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nuff Said said:

I know you're probably right, and I also caveated in my post that I felt Brentford was likely a false dawn - but we will never know for sure and I wish we did.

And now the longer this manager search drags on the more I am left to think there wasn't really much of a plan behind the sacking (other than having a rough idea of a few candidates to approach). So why the rush to get rid? 

The likelihood of Lampard joining also underwhelms me, his Chelsea team was notoriously poor in defence, particularly in dealing with the transition after losing possession - something we have also struggled with under Farke (of course much more understandably so in a team which lacks quality relative to the league). I think his coaching style will be far more simplified to Farke's, the freshening up of things may give us a lift for a few months or even a season but sadly I cannot see it being for too long beyond that. And I don't think it'll be enough to keep us up. 

He is also a manager who will more than likely see the club as a stepping stone. Reading Farke's interview after he signed his 4 year contract in the summer today made me realise just how fortunate we were to have someone buy into our club and process like that. Of course maybe Lampard will do the same, but I doubt it. 

Don't worry I'll be very much up for the Southampton game by the time its here, and behind whoever is in charge, just a bit in the dumps that there won't be a manager I like as much as Farke for some time - even if his replacement does prove more successful.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

I know you're probably right, and I also caveated in my post that I felt Brentford was likely a false dawn - but we will never know for sure and I wish we did.

Personally, I thought it was too early to sack Farke.

Whilst obviously the results weren't great, I had the feeling that we had been "unlucky". The Leicester game. Felt the Brighton game was the best we played and should have won but for bad finishing from Sargent and if Pukki chip had gone in.... The Leeds game again missed opportunities, particularly the Pukki chance. Significant number of individual errors that cost too many goals and some unlucky bounces of the ball.

In another universe, things would have been different and things wouldn't look anywhere near as bad, the media wouldn't have been such c*nts and would have focussed on someone else.  

I felt the team were still playing for Farke and trying to grind results out but we was still searching for the right combination. Think he should have been given till middle of December to identify whether he could make it work, considering the time he had been here and the prior success.

So maybe the Brentford game was a false dawn as I don't think we played any different from the last few games. Just the luck seemed to have turned, Normann shot would have gone wide and the Krul doesn't get 'lucky' with the two big chances that came their way (either gets a touch but not enough to stop a goal, or rebounds back to one of their players type moments).  

But I was very surprised he was sacked.

Edited by Baracouda

6 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Yes or no.

Please can you help I have a technical error. I can only see yes or no as options. There is no option for “Jeez, ask me after the new guy (or gal) is in and has a few games under their belt…”

6 hours ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

A quality manager such as Favre, or someone with a proven record in avoiding relegation such as Hodgson - yes.

If it's Lampard imo no. Smith - well if he keeps us up totally, if not then no. Knutsen - well at least there is the hope that comes with the wild card option and we'll only know come the end of the season.

But I've voted no as it's looking like Frank and I think this is the worst availabe option and doesnt represent progress.

Agree totally with this, and voted No for the same reasons.

7 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

The biggest confounding variable would be the possibily that Webber bought players that Farke didn't really want and didn't suit the way he wanted to play.

In a discussion thread a couple of days ago one or two posters were critical of some of the transfer choices, and at least one (who has worked in football) was sceptical before the season kicked off.

Who knows exactly what went on between Webber and Farke, for instance whether Farke was happy or not with some of the acquisitions or the sale of Buendia, and who had the final say in transfer decisions. But it doesn't look like Farke favoured several of the new players, and regardless of this idea, Webber shares a large proportion of the responsibility for transfers as part of his job description.

Farke's last time in the PL was a write off due to most of the transfer kitty being diverted to pay for Colney upgrades. So that season and the statistics that follow from it (which get tagged onto his PL record going into the current season) can be reasonably discounted to a large degree.

Overall, if it's the case that Webber couldn't get players for the current season which suited Farke's desired playing style and system, then the question of whether Farke can manage in the PL perhaps doesn't have a clear answer.

Questioning whether Farke is good enough for the PL is fine, but only if the same question is asked of Webber.

NO. There is not enough Premier League level players in our squad. It does not matter who is the coach. Now with new coach he needs his style of players and we need to spend more money to build new team again. Even for Championship level. I think new coach wont' t like Rashica, Sargent, Lees-Melou. Maybe Farke had some plan with them. We never know..