Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Stuart Webber on Emi Buendía

14 hours ago, RobJames said:

We could have afforded £12m plus bonuses, signing on fee over three years ? And see a queue of other players wanting their contracts upped as well. The money spent this summer can be recouped if needed. Those wage cannot. Webber was right to say what he did. Why should they take the flack for selling off players, when the reality is it is the players who want to move (better wages). If it was just a case of selling players then neither Aarons or Cantwell would be here.

When are players going to realise that some are better than others and should be rewarded so. Why wouldn't Emi be entitled to ask for more money if he is so crucial to our success. Isn't he worth more than Kenny for instance? The transfer fee says so.

Players want it all ways. Treated as ordinary employees but want all the privileges of an employer. We could have given Emi 100K a week and still saved money.

19 hours ago, chicken said:

Ah yes, always good to be critical of players whilst a transfer window is open and you are hoping your own targets are helping to push through moves to you... 

Of course! Thanks Chick! I forgot that the transfer window closed yesterday. Silly me!

OTBC

2 hours ago, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

Of course! Thanks Chick! I forgot that the transfer window closed yesterday. Silly me!

OTBC

The question was, why not say it at the time... We could shift the goalposts if you like... 

So why did he not tell us this when we first sold him Alex? Why now?

Different question to ask, why now and not say, when the window shut. But at that point I would suggest there was no need, new start, new players, different league. Better to focus on going forward than looking back.

There is also the context of the question posed to Webber in which the part loosely about Buendia came about. It was about players rolling over and giving up etc if my memory serves me right. His response was that if players don't want to fight or be here then they can go. Then used Buendia as an example of a player that said he no longer wanted to be at the club. It's not like Webber was speaking specifically about Buendia of his own accord. The conversation had already touched upon summer recruitment.

And let's face it, some folks have been banging on about Buendia all summer before a ball was kicked in the league. Then to them, after three or four games, our form was all down to not having Buendia... 

Edited by chicken

2 minutes ago, chicken said:

The question was, why not say it at the time... We could shift the goalposts if you like... 

I've shifted nothing my dear Chicken!

Did we sell Emi in the transfer window? Yes.

When did it end? End of August.

So why didn't Webber say something then? All transfer business concluded, no worries for Chicken about spooking the transfer horses. 99% of questions about Emi were being asked around that period so it would have been the obvious time to say something.

Webber isn't an idiot - he does everything for a reason. 

OTBC

10 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

When are players going to realise that some are better than others and should be rewarded so. Why wouldn't Emi be entitled to ask for more money if he is so crucial to our success. Isn't he worth more than Kenny for instance? The transfer fee says so.

Players want it all ways. Treated as ordinary employees but want all the privileges of an employer. We could have given Emi 100K a week and still saved money.

Just throwing more and more money at the players as the answer to everything si why English football is such a mess. 

20 hours ago, king canary said:

It is hugely naive to suggest Webber just 'tells it like it is' and everything he says can be taken as the gods honest truth. 

True, but it's also naive to believe that modern footballers, with all the power that they wield if they are very good, don't make ultimatums like these. Look at Kane.

Personally, on this one I tend to believe Webber. One thing we know almost for certain is that Emi and Todd downed tools, or at least threatened to down tools, at the start of last season. We don't know, but it seems to me a logical guess, that the club came to a sort of gentleman's agreement that they could go if they helped to get us promoted again as long as the club received an offer that matched their valuation.

Because he was a different class from the rest of the Championship, it worked for Emi. It didn't work for Todd because no one was willing to splash the cash the club wanted.

I can't know, but I suspect the start of this season is therefore more of the same. If so, I wish Webber would be equally honest about it. Last season we easily managed to get over the bad start the situation helped to cause. This season I don't think we can.

On 28/10/2021 at 20:59, crab man said:

I hope everyone boos the hell out of Emi. Yes he gave us good times but refusing to play for the club stinks IMO.

But can we be sure he refused to play for us? If we had given him a huge boost in his income, would he have stayed?

The fact is that Webber wanted to sell him ASAP. He wanted that money to provide transfer funds, which in the main seems to have been wasted.

Sadly the main function of our club, and the only one that interest them, is to buy several young players, in the hope that a couple would be sold for millions more than their cost.

17 minutes ago, Bradwell canary said:

But can we be sure he refused to play for us? If we had given him a huge boost in his income, would he have stayed?

The fact is that Webber wanted to sell him ASAP. He wanted that money to provide transfer funds, which in the main seems to have been wasted.

Sadly the main function of our club, and the only one that interest them, is to buy several young players, in the hope that a couple would be sold for millions more than their cost.

Congratulations  on believing  the anti hype.  You are every bit as deluded as those who  think SW and DF are faultless. Can't anyone grasp  that the truth is somewhere  between  the two polar opposites.  Though I suppose  it does make people feel better to vent a little, bless.

16 hours ago, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

So why didn't Webber say something then? All transfer business concluded, no worries for Chicken about spooking the transfer horses. 99% of questions about Emi were being asked around that period so it would have been the obvious time to say something.

OTBC

Webber spoke about the transfer at the time, what he said this week wasn't anything new.

This is from June 2021.

https://www.pinkun.com/sport/norwich-city/city-chief-explains-buendia-sale-villa-move-sealed-8038212 

Webber and the club are being criticised for selling our best player. Im astounded how many fans of other teams think we are 'cheating the system' and that we are cynical. They think our winning the championship is accidental, baffling or also some form of cheating, and cite our sale of Buendia as a cynical, 'take the money' ploy. A number of fans think we only come up to get the money so Delia can get rich (at least Sheffield Utd and Brentford spent money and have a go - Norwich 'stink the league out'). 

Norwich fans too believe this and also criticise the decision to sell Buendia.

I can totally see why Webber, having done a great job, would be pissed off with the lack of appreciation of the fact that we have no external finance and he has worked miracles really. Buendia clearly wanted out - Webber is firing back at the suggestion keeping him was an option, that a cynical move to sell our best player has resulted in our being bottom now, when essentially Buendia expected to move. Keeping an unhappy player and expecting him to perform or it not to cause problems in the dressing room is ignorant, and given the circumstances, the club probably sold him at peak value. So to have that criticised has Webber feeling aggrieved. Can totally understand that.

On 28/10/2021 at 21:23, By Hook or Ian crook said:

Felt his ambition was not matched by that of the club and neither was his wages. At the end of the day he didn’t go to villa to win things because they won’t he went there because they offered him 80k a week which we could of done had we not spent 8 million on one of our new imports. 

I made this argument at the time. It is superficial however, as another poster pointed out. Offer Buendia £80k a week, players like Pukki, off the back of a 25 goal season, would suddenly be asking, why isnt my contribution worth those kind of wages, meaning you either have to offer teammates of similar standing similar wages, or end up undermining team unity by having that kind of disparity.

Villa can pay Emi £80k a week not just because they have the money, but because as a whole, their other players are paid much higher as well. 

On 28/10/2021 at 21:35, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Didn't Hoolahan have a similar falling out around the time of the Lambert / Villa misdemeanour? With him publicly slagging off the club if I remember rightly

I was going to mention this myself. Club legend Hoolanhan called the club 'a shower of ****e' if I remember correctly. Club legend Holt was also disparaging at one point when he fell out with McNally

14 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Just throwing more and more money at the players as the answer to everything si why English football is such a mess. 

Its not up to a club like Norwich to stand their ground and change football. Who the heck would support us in that?

From Emi's perspective, think he probably saw it as a gamble to stay at Norwich, agents/advisors would have been very blunt that it was a good time to go and get a big pay rise on a long term contract and if he does well he can move on again. Where as staying a bad season, then any future contracts will be significantly less money.  Would imagine this was his first big contract so there was probably a lot of desire.

It is what it is. But its also probably the same when we are signing players. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

Its not up to a club like Norwich to stand their ground and change football. Who the heck would support us in that?

The mood was very different earlier in the pandemic. A big reset in values was called for.

Now we are back with money, or to call it correctly other people's money, being king.

19 hours ago, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

OTBC

That isn't what you asked though is it? When you asked the question, it was originally posed to "then" as in when he was sold. I have explained one reason for not having spoken out since, and that is you do not need the negativity that sort of talk creates, with new players on board. It makes the focus of the attention back to those who suggest none of them are as good as Buendia after only a game or two.

Now though, it seems more like a warning, perhaps, to some in the squad who are grumbling?

However, I would again say it is the context. Some of the support have demanded a statement or something from Webber, Paddy has interviewed him. Would he have said anything if he hadn't been asked for an interview? Arguably not. Was he specifically talking about Buendia? Not really.

Take it out of context and it makes little sense. Considering the context removes a lot of the questions you are asking.

He's not our player anymore. Like most who leave Norwich he'll realise the grass isn't necessary greener, even if it is richer.

The important thing now is that we wind him up in the villa game at carrow road enough to get him sent off. Shouldn't be too hard!

7 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

Why not? We basically are standing our ground and actually we don't have a bad footballing lot in life on the back of it overall: every other season is fantastic and there's always the chance that one of these days we might catch a break in the premier league without ditching young inexpensive talent for older expensive talent with not much shelf life remaining. Just my outlook. 

21 minutes ago, Chelm Canary said:

Buendia is obviously a self serving and money hungry little **** 

Glad he is gone. 

Hope it’s just a wind up! He’s a big part of why this club will get £150 million pounds in the next three years and the club made a healthy profit on his sale! I think he earned his move, I doubt he banged on the door to demand the move and pretty sure the club was more than happy to add to the budget.

Certainly wrong for Webber to tarnish Buendia in the media to deflect the sale and if you actually read the statement at no point does he say Buendia demanded any move just said that when a player doesn’t want to play for the club, that could be Cantwell or any player. It was clear in the summer that players would be moved on as I’ve posted the link earlier. Should have kept quiet and got on with the job in the club to turn this poor form around!

Edited by Indy
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Indy said:

I doubt he banged on the door to demand the move and pretty sure the club was more than happy to add to the budget.

But he did and it's been mentioned by Farke and Webber that he did. 

Its a fact. Whether you doubt that changes nothing. 

Just now, Chelm Canary said:

But he did and it's been mentioned by Farke and Webber that he did. 

Its a fact. Whether you doubt that changes nothing. 

Where is the fact, I’ve never seen anything in print to quantify that?

9 minutes ago, Chelm Canary said:

Not at all, once Villa had made contact and the deal was confirmed and he wanted to join. Nothing there to say he was demanding the move! Nothing to suggest he stopped or not wanted to play on, just the opposite actually! 

“Emi has been top class since the day he arrived. He has worked incredibly hard and we’re proud that he has developed into both the player and person he is today. I’m sure he will be the first to acknowledge what Daniel and all of the staff have done to help contribute to his success.“

It was mentioned before that beundia agreed to stay for one more season in the championship with the agreement he would be sold the next season. 

5 minutes ago, Chelm Canary said:

It was mentioned before that beundia agreed to stay for one more season in the championship with the agreement he would be sold the next season. 

Yes that’s common knowledge, so you’re statement “Buendia is obviously a self serving and money hungry little **** “ is totally wrong and there’s no point he’s ever refused to play! The real fact is that the club and player agreed to the move and both parties were happy, till now, Webber deflecting the crap now we’re missing such a talent!

Edited by Indy

5 minutes ago, Indy said:

Yes that’s common knowledge, so you’re statement “Buendia is obviously a self serving and money hungry little **** “ is totally wrong and there’s no point he’s ever refused to play! The real fact is that the club and player agreed to the move and both parties were happy, till now, Webber deflecting the crap now we’re missing such a talent!

But it's written in the op's thread. It's in the first post. 

I will paste if for you:

“When someone tells you very clearly he will not be playing for the club again . . 'see you later then mate, we don't need you, thank you very much'.

"No-one is bigger than the football club."

I'm not sure if you're joking at this point. 

Edited by Chelm Canary

6 minutes ago, Chelm Canary said:

But it's written in the op's thread. It's in the first post. 

I will paste if for you:

“When someone tells you very clearly he will not be playing for the club again . . 'see you later then mate, we don't need you, thank you very much'.

"No-one is bigger than the football club."

I'm not sure if you're joking at this point. 

Note the word ‘someone’, it’s cleverly worded to avoid saying this is what happened and generalise that if a player wants to go we can’t say no, which is both wrong and doesn’t address at any point if we tried to keep him this season. Therefore the logical conclusion is we were very happy to get £33m for him of which some could be put into the transfer budget.

Edited by Son Ova Gunn
  • Like 1