Sign in to follow this  
chicken

****The Official Lapps Match Thread v Bournemouth (LC) *****

I hope folks don't mind me starting it but figured there is plenty of talk in other threads and by having one we keep the old Lapps memory and inspiration going.

Pre Match conference

Sum up of article
Doubts;
- Placheta still out with effects of Covid.
- Byram still on the comeback trail.
Other Info:
- Zimmermann back training after illness
- Tzolis and Sargent expected to get more minutes
- Brandon Williams eligible

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Really hoping we start with Tzolis, Sargent and Rashica up top, want to see what they can all do with a bit more freedom than against teams like City and Liverpool. Also can imagine Williams might get thrown in at left back with Mumba at right back, Gunn in goal

• Like 2

Gutted I can't go to the game now. Hopefully a much improved performance and a positive result.

Important we do well in the cups to keep as many of the squad engaged in matchdays as possible.

Would love to see this line up -

Gunn

Mumba Omobamidele Gibson  Williams

Gilmour Sorensen

Sargent     Rashica         Tzolis

Idah

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, AJ said:

Really hoping we start with Tzolis, Sargent and Rashica up top, want to see what they can all do with a bit more freedom than against teams like City and Liverpool. Also can imagine Williams might get thrown in at left back with Mumba at right back, Gunn in goal

Yup. The article suggests that Gibson and Hanley may still get the nod due to playing catch up after missing most of pre-season. I wonder if one of them will be switched out for Omobamidele though, with the other on the bench.

2 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Gunn

Gilmour Sorensen

Idah

I'd like to see Dowell in the middle of the three AMs with either Sargent or Idah playing front. Other than that looking OK. 

1 minute ago, Herman said:

I'd like to see Dowell in the middle of the three AMs with either Sargent or Idah playing front. Other than that looking OK. 

Agreed Dowell really looked the part at the end of the season... Deserves a start in my book... Otherwise agree with 10/11 with LDC.... Is that a good thing,!? 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Gunn

Gilmour Sorensen

Idah

Move Sargent to where Idah is and play Rashica where Sargent is in your lineup and that's about right

3 minutes ago, Norfolk Dan said:

Agreed Dowell really looked the part at the end of the season... Deserves a start in my book... Otherwise agree with 10/11 with LDC.... Is that a good thing,!? 

I think it's OK once or twice a season. Anymore and you may be asking for trouble. 

I think that would be a nice to see line-up although I'd start Dowell.

Can't see Farke making 8 or 9 changes to the first XI though.

28 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Gunn

Gilmour Sorensen

Idah

Dowell in the middle, for me, and I'd like to put Sargent up top as he has more chance of unseating Pukki for Leicester.

I'd be very frustrated if Sargent plays on the wing. He's been brought in as a big money centre forward, so playing him anywhere else other than in an emergency doesn't make sense and would probably open him up to criticism for not scoring enough goals.

If Sargent starts, it should be as a number nine. We've got plenty of natural wide players and attacking midfielders without resorting to square pegs in round holes.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Move Sargent to where Idah is and play Rashica where Sargent is in your lineup and that's about right

I think Sargent will cause more trouble cutting in from the wing, his running and pace should create space for others like Idah to exploit. It's a direct approach and as much as we didn't have that in the first two games, it will be the way we end up playing this season because that is the type of players we have.

1 minute ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I'd be very frustrated if Sargent plays on the wing. He's been brought in as a big money centre forward, so playing him anywhere else other than in an emergency doesn't make sense and would probably open him up to criticism for not scoring enough goals.

If Sargent starts, it should be as a number nine. We've got plenty of natural wide players and attacking midfielders without resorting to square pegs in round holes.

Sargent playing on the wing would allow us to have at least two good finishers on the pitch with him and a striker at the front.  We saw Jesus play that role on Saturday for MC, it is a good tactic imo, if you have a player that can do it. Anyhow, with the flexibility in the system that we play, we could see the players interchanging a lot with any of them popping up on the right or left, which would allow him to move in to the middle at times.

27 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Sargent playing on the wing would allow us to have at least two good finishers on the pitch with him and a striker at the front.  We saw Jesus play that role on Saturday for MC, it is a good tactic imo, if you have a player that can do it. Anyhow, with the flexibility in the system that we play, we could see the players interchanging a lot with any of them popping up on the right or left, which would allow him to move in to the middle at times.

I do get that point and of course we do play a very flexible system, but I just don't see why we'd spend such a large sum on a centre forward and then play him on the wing.

I can't see Chelsea playing Lukaku anywhere other than centre forward, and the same with Man City and Kane if he signs.

It's a little bit like Sorensen last season getting played at left back. Obviously that's nobody's fault really as we had no other options and it was an emergency, but we still haven't seen him in his natural position yet and some people are now viewing him as a backup full back, which is not fair on him and very frustrating.

• Like 1

I prefer the idea of Sargent or Dowell playing behind Idah.  Not so sure of Sargent on the wing, as I think he'll run into dead ends - only seen youtube highlights of the guy, but he looks much more effective running into central areas.

Rashica providing crosses in the box (As he's displayed already) with Idah an Sargent attacking the goal is a physical option we've not really had since Holty.   Don't know if Farke even desires that kind of wide play either(?), as it effectively goes against Pukki's strengths.

Krul

Mumba - Hanley - Gibson - Williams

Lees-Melou - McLean

Rashica - Dowell - Tzolis

Pukki

Sargent for Pukki if we're not playing him into form and fitness.

In all honesty I’m fully expecting us to lose tonight. Bournemouth unbeaten so far and playing some nice stuff, and we’ve struggled against them in recent years. I think they’ll go with a strong XI as well. Main thing for me in this match is getting the new signings minutes on the pitch and just working on the general match fitness to be honest, couldn’t really care less about the Carabao.

In fact, if I’m letting it out, I think we’ll lose to Leicester and Arsenal as well. Dread to think what this place will be like if I’m right. (Still certain that we’re staying up though).

The optimist in me hopes this will be like that Cardiff cup game 3 years ago when Farkeball came together, we found our best formation and never looked back. Could happen. 

I happen to live down on the south coast. Talking to my Athletic Football Club Bournemouth season ticket holder neighbor, they are fielding most under 23's tonight. 

Let's see... 

9 minutes ago, Norfolk Dan said:

I happen to live down on the south coast. Talking to my Athletic Football Club Bournemouth season ticket holder neighbor, they are fielding most under 23's tonight. 

Let's see... 

We'll be fielding our B-Team too, so if this is true we should win given our B-Team is currently full of new signings that should displace the first XI eventually 

Whats with all the 4231? We have been 433 this season, so expect to see that continue.

I'm liking the 4231.. or even the 4132 or.. 41311... But who's counting! 

Just let Sorensen play as a DCM and frankly anything else is a bonus for me! 

6 minutes ago, BigFish said:

Whats with all the 4231? We have been 433 this season, so expect to see that continue.

For me it was getting minutes into the legs of an attacking midfielder and Gilmour probably not needing the game. Kenny McLean and whatever other midfielder plays with him can probably handle Bournemouth's cup side.

19 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

For me it was getting minutes into the legs of an attacking midfielder and Gilmour probably not needing the game. Kenny McLean and whatever other midfielder plays with him can probably handle Bournemouth's cup side.

McLean needs some minutes, as does Sorenson so with ANO that gives a midfield 3. Perhaps Tzolis, Sargent & Dowell to give an attacking 3.

46 minutes ago, BigFish said:

It's been dire though, it invites pressure and we can't get out