Sign in to follow this  
Greavsy

Kieran Scott off to boro

Maybe he wanted to move up into Webber's role, but the indications are Webber isn't off as soon as expected so Scott wasn't going to hang around. 

This sort of stuff is where we have our biggest risk as a self financing model.

We are reliant on finding unearthed gems or youngsters to bring in the regular money from sales, we lose that we are going to struggle.

I'm sure the club has the next one lined up and arguably the guys out there scouting and analysts are more important but it's still a key role. 

10 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

Maybe he wanted to move up into Webber's role, but the indications are Webber isn't off as soon as expected so Scott wasn't going to hang around. 

If he knew for certain Webber was going at the end of this season, no matter what, I assume he wouldn't have taken the Middlesbrough job.

Edited by PurpleCanary
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

If he knew for certain Webber was going at the end of this season, no matter what, I assume he wouldn't have taken the Middlesbrough job.

A very positive observation out of what seems a disappointing loss, let's hope you are right. 👍

8 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Maybe, or the club said that whoever replaces Webber would have to have experience as a Sporting Director - the role is far more than just player recruitment. 

Quite a lot of staff upheaval this summer. Not sure what to make of it. Scott was quite widely tipped to step up if Webber left so maybe this means SW is sticking about. I’m a bit concerned though at how exposed we might be if Webber does suddenly leave. Didn’t one of our other main scouts jump ship recently as well to Palace?

4 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Quite a lot of staff upheaval this summer. Not sure what to make of it. Scott was quite widely tipped to step up if Webber left so maybe this means SW is sticking about. I’m a bit concerned though at how exposed we might be if Webber does suddenly leave. Didn’t one of our other main scouts jump ship recently as well to Palace?

I’m not sure he was widely tipped. Everything I read was speculation by posters on here, after Scott said in an interview that he wanted to be a Sporting Director in the future.

And it could be argued that we want to demonstrate career progression for promising back-room staff as well as players, so this is a good thing.

Edited by Nuff Said

16 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Or he knows Webber is off making his position potentially unsafe should the new gaffer come in and not want him. Stands to reason to look for work and take a good opportunity when it presents itself.

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Maybe, or the club said that whoever replaces Webber would have to have experience as a Sporting Director - the role is far more than just player recruitment. 

It is, Bethnal, but he seemed to be being groomed for the job.

1 minute ago, Midlands Yellow said:

That’s true, he won’t be happy with you today.

No change there! 

Hope he's OK though. 

1 minute ago, PurpleCanary said:

It is, Bethnal, but he seemed to be being groomed for the job.

I don't think that was ever anything more than speculation after he said he was studying to become a Sporting Director - a lot of 2+2 was done. He would probably have been considered for the role, but as a complete novice it might have been seen a too big a step up for him - especially if Norwich are in the Premier League.

It will be interesting to see how he gets on at Boro (if it is true he's off there) - can't imagine Warnock will be thrilled to have a Sporting Director.

1 minute ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Will he have to give or has given notice like Ben? 

He leaves at the end of this transfer window 👍

4 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

I don't think that was ever anything more than speculation after he said he was studying to become a Sporting Director - a lot of 2+2 was done. He would probably have been considered for the role, but as a complete novice it might have been seen a too big a step up for him - especially if Norwich are in the Premier League.

It will be interesting to see how he gets on at Boro (if it is true he's off there) - can't imagine Warnock will be thrilled to have a Sporting Director.

Nothing stopping him coming back with more experience in a few years - if Webber is extending his contract.

• Like 1

Hopefully we have someone experienced in that field

........................to be able to recruit another to replace him

It just begs the question now, who will be our next head of recruitment? I wonder if it’ll be someone from abroad this time, a German perhaps, with a good grasp of the European leagues?

7 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

It just begs the question now, who will be our next head of recruitment? I wonder if it’ll be someone from abroad this time, a German perhaps, with a good grasp of the European leagues?

Unfortunately, for an obvious reason, we are no longer able to sign 'bargains' like Buendia - so I would think that much of that has been scaled back

6 minutes ago, Bill said:

Unfortunately, for an obvious reason, we are no longer able to sign 'bargains' like Buendia - so I would think that much of that has been scaled back

You'd imagine some scaling back in Europe while scaling up elsewhere, particularly South America once covid allows.

37 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

"City did see one departure from their recruitment department earlier this summer. Chris Jones, the club's former lead domestic and European scout, has joined Premier League rivals Crystal Palace."

"Further, Scott is believed to have taken a less active role in this window's transfer strategy, after the initial link to Boro first emerged in June."

They covered their screens when he walked in 😏

9 minutes ago, Bill said:

Yep, Paddy’s just said that there are no plans to directly replace Kieran with someone from outside the club.

9 minutes ago, Bill said:

They covered their screens when he walked in 😏

People do similar on here when certain people post............

Edited by Greavsy
  • Haha 1

Yep, Paddy’s just said that there are no plans to directly replace Kieran with someone from outside the club.

Promoting from within or perhaps a poster on here? 

Reckon the female scout Mariela Nisotaki could get promoted, meant to be very good