Sign in to follow this  
Greavsy

Kieran Scott off to boro

I guess that could mean the Djed Spence move is off now as Scott will advise to hold off for the money we won't pay. Is that how it works Bethnal? (of Lewisham)  https://www.pinkun.com/sport/norwich-city/canaries-ncfc-djed-spence-linked-8188148

A personal shame for me as I havent had a shirt since the 90's so was looking at breaking my self-imposed ban what with my forname being  "Spence",  middle name "Ed" and the fact I've been a DJ since the early 90's. #itsanoutrage #sacktheboard

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, wilsoncgp said:

Yeah, Karanka basically made him as a player, he was easily one of the best defenders in the Championship whilst he was with us but he always had a moment like that in him. Naturally, Wembley was the perfect moment for him to do it again. 🤦‍♂️

Thoughts on Hugill during his time at the Riverside? 

On 02/08/2021 at 21:49, Midlands Yellow said:

Thoughts on Hugill during his time at the Riverside? 

As with many players, Hugill was sold short under Tony Pulis. It's kind of hard in the end to quantify how good he really was because he spent so long having to chase lost causes by himself.

There was a moment, can't remember when, when we lumped a ball into the right hand channel and Hugill chased it down. He beat his man to it on the right wing and went with his gut to pull it back across goal. And there wasn't a Boro player within 40 yards to make anything of it. Part of you thinks he should get his head up and look before playing but part of you just thinks he's on a hiding to nothing 'cause Pulis' 9 men behind the ball mean he's got **** all to work with on the counter.

I think there was a half decent player in there but I don't think we'll ever get to know how good he was for us. He's another local lad so most fans just seem to remember him as 'that player who used to pull pints for a living in the local pub'.

On 02/08/2021 at 21:15, spencer 1970 said:

I guess that could mean the Djed Spence move is off now as Scott will advise to hold off for the money we won't pay. Is that how it works Bethnal? (of Lewisham)  https://www.pinkun.com/sport/norwich-city/canaries-ncfc-djed-spence-linked-8188148

A personal shame for me as I havent had a shirt since the 90's so was looking at breaking my self-imposed ban what with my forname being  "Spence",  middle name "Ed" and the fact I've been a DJ since the early 90's. #itsanoutrage #sacktheboard

I will say that the article there states 2 things I completely disagree with regarding Spence.

For one, he is 100% not a left back, not even as cover. He played there in a friendly against York City out of necessity as both our actual left backs are injured but I think that might be the only time he ever has played there? He didn't even play right-back that much last season, he definitely wasn't the preferred option there.

The other thing though is that despite his 40 odd appearances, he did not have a good season at all. Our fans have a habit of pinning everything on the lad when it's not his fault so you'll get plenty who say they'd sell Spence for peanuts, that's not accurate in my view. But he wasn't good either. Part of me thinks it's because Warnock plays him out of position most the time at right wing, the lad has a bit of pace and trickery but not enough to be a winger. But even at right back, the lad is nowhere near Max Aarons' level, he's miles off being a Prem player as it stands.

Put it this way; I think our fans were probably more sad to see James Husband join Norwich, wondering what could have been, than they would be to see Spence join you.

38 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

I will say that the article there states 2 things I completely disagree with regarding Spence.

For one, he is 100% not a left back, not even as cover. He played there in a friendly against York City out of necessity as both our actual left backs are injured but I think that might be the only time he ever has played there? He didn't even play right-back that much last season, he definitely wasn't the preferred option there.

The other thing though is that despite his 40 odd appearances, he did not have a good season at all. Our fans have a habit of pinning everything on the lad when it's not his fault so you'll get plenty who say they'd sell Spence for peanuts, that's not accurate in my view. But he wasn't good either. Part of me thinks it's because Warnock plays him out of position most the time at right wing, the lad has a bit of pace and trickery but not enough to be a winger. But even at right back, the lad is nowhere near Max Aarons' level, he's miles off being a Prem player as it stands.

Put it this way; I think our fans were probably more sad to see James Husband join Norwich, wondering what could have been, than they would be to see Spence join you.

Which takeaway onTeeside do the best Parmo? 

4 hours ago, wilsoncgp said:

Yeah but you're not considering me getting a shirt for the first time in 20+ years...there's often more to football than players being any good within stratergies and systems, theres my sartorial elegance on a Saturday afternoon to consider. Come on Scott! Make it happen!

• Haha 1

On 04/08/2021 at 09:04, Midlands Yellow said:

Which takeaway onTeeside do the best Parmo? 

Variety is the spice of life!

For me, I'm not really a takeaway parmo person. Don't get me wrong, love a Parmo but I don't often want one from a pizza shop. Boro has a lot to offer in the countryside surrounding it and the Parmo makes its way out to those pub/restaurants and some places do really good ones and best of all, they will all probably put their own little spins on it whilst sticking to what makes the basic recipe so good.

My wife makes a solid home-made parmo too, which is good because we live in Sunderland right now and there's only one place here (a takeaway) that actually understands the make-up of a parmo. Most places who try to recreate it think it's basically a pizza with a chicken base!

Unless he's mellowed over time I can't think of a worse manager to wind up, or buy a **** player for, than Warnock! I think Scott will quickly realise not all coaches are like Farke. Can see this going **** up pretty quickly.

1 hour ago, Capt. Pants said:

Unless he's mellowed over time I can't think of a worse manager to wind up, or buy a **** player for, than Warnock! I think Scott will quickly realise not all coaches are like Farke. Can see this going **** up pretty quickly.

Warnock will almost certainly be gone at the end of this season though, whether we go up or stay put. With the appointment of Scott, Warnock's entire tenure starts to make a lot more sense.

He's a stopgap, the kind we needed whilst we both recruited a sporting director and allowed them time to come in, get settled and start making changes before trying to bring in a more suitable manager. Put it this way, before we put him in charge, Jonathan Woodgate nearly got us relegated. The club doesn't want a manager they can't trust to keep us in the Championship as a bare minimum whilst we transition to something more long-term.

1 hour ago, wilsoncgp said:

Warnock will almost certainly be gone at the end of this season though, whether we go up or stay put. With the appointment of Scott, Warnock's entire tenure starts to make a lot more sense.

He's a stopgap, the kind we needed whilst we both recruited a sporting director and allowed them time to come in, get settled and start making changes before trying to bring in a more suitable manager. Put it this way, before we put him in charge, Jonathan Woodgate nearly got us relegated. The club doesn't want a manager they can't trust to keep us in the Championship as a bare minimum whilst we transition to something more long-term.

It is that transition that takes, time and commitment (plus money).

Cty had set out a long term olan, which basically amounts to debveloping players - rather than the costle 'ready made' purchases that are expensive.

Some of the not too bright on here did not grasp this quite simple concept and constantly whined throughout the summer of 2018. A draw at thebinners had them howling to the moon. And a myth being firmly planted amongst our impoverished neinghbours - Farke was about to be sacked. Total nonsense.

For Boro that means accepting that promotion may not happen soon. That money has to be invested in the best possible coaches and to spend money on the youth set up. As I said, it takes time. But it does work, as committed youngsters will want to go to a club that will improve them. Not burn them out on some 'death or glory' attempt at promotion.

The riches of the PL can easily (and usually) be spent on high wages and transfer fees. Very few clubs returning to the Championship seem to have any legacy, bar huge financial commitments that they then struggle to manage.

Boro have the size to put this into practice. The only question is whether such a long term view of things is what is the answer.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Bill said:

It is that transition that takes, time and commitment (plus money).

Cty had set out a long term olan, which basically amounts to debveloping players - rather than the costle 'ready made' purchases that are expensive.

Some of the not too bright on here did not grasp this quite simple concept and constantly whined throughout the summer of 2018. A draw at thebinners had them howling to the moon. And a myth being firmly planted amongst our impoverished neinghbours - Farke was about to be sacked. Total nonsense.

For Boro that means accepting that promotion may not happen soon. That money has to be invested in the best possible coaches and to spend money on the youth set up. As I said, it takes time. But it does work, as committed youngsters will want to go to a club that will improve them. Not burn them out on some 'death or glory' attempt at promotion.

The riches of the PL can easily (and usually) be spent on high wages and transfer fees. Very few clubs returning to the Championship seem to have any legacy, bar huge financial commitments that they then struggle to manage.

Boro have the size to put this into practice. The only question is whether such a long term view of things is what is the answer.

For me, before Scott was coming in, having Neil Warnock in charge represented a must-get-promoted image. There was no reason to have Neil Warnock in charge without trying to get promoted every year he signs up for. And he will only sign up for a year at a time. No disrespect to Warnock's age as such but he is only willing to commit to a club a year at a time, which means for a club without any semblance of cross-manager direction at the top end of the club (as we have had for ages now) it represented a must-win scenario. Zero point appointing a short-term manager without short-term ambition.

Now though, I'm more than happy to wait. If we get promoted in the next 2-3 years, it will be a bonus because it feels like we are so far from a club that is willing and able to support a sporting director. Those who are sceptical right now are worried because it has taken Steve Gibson so long to accept it is necessary to have one in place, he's a bloody control freak and he needs to step back and let Scott do that part of the job now. The murmurs from local papers are positive though, it sounds like Gibson is really accepting this vision and allowing someone to have that level of control.

For a start, the fact he's putting someone in this position who actually has any idea what he's doing and has zero connection to the club is a good sign. We briefly had Adrian Bevington in a similar role a couple of years back but that was a guy whose experience in football is essentially public relations; the only reason he got the job was because Gibson knew and trusted him, he was a Boro fan who'd worked at the FA. Alongside Jonathan Woodgate, this was yet another showing of Gibson's 'jobs for the boys' that didn't represent any change in dynamic at all.

We have to wait and see how this will all go but it feels like we're actually progressing into being a modern football club and I really wondered if that would ever happen again with Gibson at the helm.