Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

The Adam Armstrong saga takes a twist

Guessing Norwich moved on after bringing in Rashica.

If no one gets him as the window moves on and his price drops I can see Norwich maybe having another look, but he was never a likely transfer it seems. Blackburn aren't going to get the £20m they have said they want.

8 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Give me a sec, I'll get on the phone to Webber.

It's engaged, he's talking to  Cambridgeo. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

It's engaged, he's talking to  Cambridgeo. 

That'll be another new thread then.....

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Surely Rashica is the Buendia replacement.

You suggesting that if Pukki gets injured we'll stick Rashica up front and then pin our hopes on Placheta out wide? 

We still need a striker. 

Personally I'd take a punt on that chap from Peterborough, given their record on strikers (Marriott aside, who was a hype job). 

5 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Surely Rashica is the Buendia replacement.

You suggesting that if Pukki gets injured we'll stick Rashica up front and then pin our hopes on Placheta out wide? 

We still need a striker. 

Personally I'd take a punt on that chap from Peterborough, given their record on strikers (Marriott aside, who was a hype job). 

Rashica played more as a central attacker for Bremen that a wide player, he is nothing, in anyway, like Emi. I'd imagine Hernandez is ahead of Placheta anyway.

How Farke will use Rashica is unclear yet, or how many attackers he will play is unclear. It may be he goes 4-3-3 or sticks with 4-2-3-1 but puts Billing (should he sign) or McLean in the 10 spot. So if Rashica goes up front Dowell could be the man on the wing. 

If he puts Rashica wide, then Idah can go in as striker. The club have seemingly told both Michael Bailey and the PinkUn that Idah is expected to make a large contribution next season. 

If Armstrong's price slips down enough I can see Norwich going for him as it would be good value, but I expect someone else will sign him before it reaches that point.

• Like 1

Selling Ings for big money won't be that easy for Southampton - he's 29 this month and has a dodgy injury record to say the least. He says he wants to test himself at a higher level. Maybe Spurs as a short term replacement for Kane? Or Leicester maybe? Otherwise I don't easily see a bigger team with a vacancy.

I can’t see us offering the £20m Blackburn are believed to be wanting for him but if no one offers that much they will have to lower the asking price as his contract expires next summer.  Would be surprised to see us even offer £15m for anyone who would probably start their career with us as a benchwarmer

I though Purple had shared that according to official matchday line-ups, Rashica mainly played wide of an attacking 3 or in the No.10 positions last season. There is a sort of myth that he has been regularly deployed as a striker which doesn't appear to have much legs. 

8 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

Selling Ings for big money won't be that easy for Southampton - he's 29 this month and has a dodgy injury record to say the least. He says he wants to test himself at a higher level. Maybe Spurs as a short term replacement for Kane? Or Leicester maybe? Otherwise I don't easily see a bigger team with a vacancy.

Not much of a replacement for Kane... Ings is sub 6'.

42 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Rashica played more as a central attacker for Bremen that a wide player, he is nothing, in anyway, like Emi. I'd imagine Hernandez is ahead of Placheta anyway.

I didn't say anything about him being "like Emi" but looks like he's played out wide more than anywhere else in his career and has only played up front 17 times. 

Furthermore, looks like he's been more of a goal threat from the left side of the pitch than anywhere else for Breman. Cantwell could go wide right and Rashica wide left? 

Rashica doesn't look like centre forward to me, number 10 perhaps but that would leave another vacancy for a wide player.

All good saying that Hernandez is about Placheta, but that's when Onel remains fit, and he hasn't been a starter for years. I doubt his body can cope with regular 90's. 

God help us if Pukki gets injured and we're relying on Idah for goals to stay up. I'm not saying that he doesn't have a bit of potential, but he's incredibly raw and in my opinion could do with a full season on loan to Barnsley. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

12 minutes ago, chicken said:

I though Purple had shared that according to official matchday line-ups, Rashica mainly played wide of an attacking 3 or in the No.10 positions last season. There is a sort of myth that he has been regularly deployed as a striker which doesn't appear to have much legs. 

I wasn't quite saying that. My question was more about what kind of striker he might be able to be. This was the post:

Bethnal, you have seen Rashica play as a striker while I had never heard of him so I value what you say!  And I understand the arguments about financial limits and the priority to fill other positions, although that might change if we also sold Aarons. And the difficulty of persuading someone to join when they cannot be guaranteed regular starts.

That said, I have two concerns. For starters, I wonder if Rashica can play the crucial lone role Pukki does. There are different kinds of strikers, and the lone Pukki role is very demanding. Just from the highlights clip Rashica doesn’t seem that kind of striker. He looks more like a very mobile gadfly type of striker.

This may not be accurate but going by Soccerway’s team formations for some of Werder Bremen’s games last season I didn’t see one line-up where they had him as a lone striker. He was either in a front two or wide in a front three. If they had a main striker it seemed to be either Sergeant or Fullkrug.

My other concern, based on what Davitt and Freezer keep on stressing, is that Webber and Farke appear to be extremely confident that Idah will make what looks to me like a significant step up from being so far OK but not outstanding in the Championship to being a genuine Premier League player.

Yes, Webber and Farke see Idah in training etc, but there could also be an element of boosting Idah’s confidence and an element of wishful thinking.

If Rashica really can deputise for Pukki and Idah really can make the grade I would just about be OK with that. But if only one of those ‘ifs’ comes true I would be very worried and if neither ‘if’ comes to past I would be extremely worried.

• Like 1

Thanks Purple.

So we have no evidence to say that he has been played as a lone striker like Pukki. Though some are suggesting that he can play such a role. 

The question about where Rashica will play seems to me to be easy to answer. He will simply fit into a fluid formation that means he can play anywhere across the pitch or up front at any time during a match. The players in a Farke style team are interchangeable - even Pukki is quite capable as being a provider for someone else.  Idah fits this, being well versed in Farkeball, able to play on the left or up front. 

This fluidity, which is how we have been playing now for four seasons, is what I would expect and next season will imo see it improve further, given the players we will have and if Rashica can be at his best in this system, then we have a potent front four. 

Exciting to think about, whether it works out like that in practice remains to be seen, but the thnking seems sound.

5 minutes ago, chicken said:

Thanks Purple.

So we have no evidence to say that he has been played as a lone striker like Pukki. Though some are suggesting that he can play such a role. 

You’re right Chicken, I have not been able to find anything about him being considered a striker. Rashica is an attacking midfielder/winger who in desperation you might play up front as a ‘striker’. Which is basically no different to Todd, Dowell etc - Midfielders that you would only play as a striker if you had no other option. But he’s not a striker and I’m confused as to where all this has come from? Love Pukki but don’t want to see all the pressure left on his shoulders, if they believe that Idah’s the one then that’s good enough to me, but if not, I’d like to see another through the door (not Adam Armstrong though).

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

God help us if Pukki gets injured and we're relying on Idah for goals to stay up.

I’m 100% with you on this. Honestly I have no idea about Idah, but he’s had absolutely no time in either the Prem or the previous Champ campaign to warrant being on rotation with Pukki. I would be exceptionally concerned if no one else comes in to challenge up top. 

I know there’s always the same old line of “we don’t see what the coaches see day in / out” but surely they won’t overlook the fact we’re light in a pretty important area. 

However, I just read the Edp article by Davitt on Drmic leaving, and he finishes it with a line about not being surprised to see someone come in to challenge Pukki for the top spot. So maybe there’s legs in what Bethnal says about the club drip feeding info to the local press and Bailey when they feel it required?? 

I agree. I think that's why the club is looking at a striker that can play wing. I think Idah is being shaped into Pukki's like for like replacement, and whilst he has been injured last season I do wonder if they have been working behind the scenes with him on tactics and how to get the most out of his frame and pace.

17 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

The question about where Rashica will play seems to me to be easy to answer. He will simply fit into a fluid formation that means he can play anywhere across the pitch or up front at any time during a match. The players in a Farke style team are interchangeable - even Pukki is quite capable as being a provider for someone else.  Idah fits this, being well versed in Farkeball, able to play on the left or up front. 

This fluidity, which is how we have been playing now for four seasons, is what I would expect and next season will imo see it improve further, given the players we will have and if Rashica can be at his best in this system, then we have a potent front four. 

Exciting to think about, whether it works out like that in practice remains to be seen, but the thnking seems sound.

That is certainly partly true, and if we sign Billing and play him as a No.10, which I suspect would be the intention, that would give us an aerial threat from the forward players.

Edited by PurpleCanary

5 minutes ago, chicken said:

I agree. I think that's why the club is looking at a striker that can play wing.

That's where Pukki played his first 4 games for us. 

24 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Is it rush goalies next season then?

50 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

I wasn't quite saying that. My question was more about what kind of striker he might be able to be. This was the post:

Bethnal, you have seen Rashica play as a striker while I had never heard of him so I value what you say!  And I understand the arguments about financial limits and the priority to fill other positions, although that might change if we also sold Aarons. And the difficulty of persuading someone to join when they cannot be guaranteed regular starts.

That said, I have two concerns. For starters, I wonder if Rashica can play the crucial lone role Pukki does. There are different kinds of strikers, and the lone Pukki role is very demanding. Just from the highlights clip Rashica doesn’t seem that kind of striker. He looks more like a very mobile gadfly type of striker.

This may not be accurate but going by Soccerway’s team formations for some of Werder Bremen’s games last season I didn’t see one line-up where they had him as a lone striker. He was either in a front two or wide in a front three. If they had a main striker it seemed to be either Sergeant or Fullkrug.

My other concern, based on what Davitt and Freezer keep on stressing, is that Webber and Farke appear to be extremely confident that Idah will make what looks to me like a significant step up from being so far OK but not outstanding in the Championship to being a genuine Premier League player.

Yes, Webber and Farke see Idah in training etc, but there could also be an element of boosting Idah’s confidence and an element of wishful thinking.

If Rashica really can deputise for Pukki and Idah really can make the grade I would just about be OK with that. But if only one of those ‘ifs’ comes true I would be very worried and if neither ‘if’ comes to past I would be extremely worried.

https://link.medium.com/CI8StpGXFhb 
I wrote a piece about Rashica. 

Bremen usually deployed in 3-5-2 or a 3-4-2-1 with Rashica either as part of the ‘2’ in the 3-5-2 or in one of the front three positions in the 3-4-2-1. 

Rashcia would often move to wide positions to receive the ball, but started in central positions. He was the guy at the end of attacking moves, not setting them up and his main strengths are his speed, off the ball movement and finishing (apart from last season he’s consistently out scored his xG). 

• Like 1

As Bethnal suggests, Idah is the wild card in all this. Farke and Co have a very strong track record if knowing when a player is ready to step up so if they think he's the player to do it then we'll just have to trust. Can't say I've see  enough from him yet but then I don't see them train.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

https://link.medium.com/CI8StpGXFhb 
I wrote a piece about Rashica. 

Bremen usually deployed in 3-5-2 or a 3-4-2-1 with Rashica either as part of the ‘2’ in the 3-5-2 or in one of the front three positions in the 3-4-2-1. 

Rashcia would often move to wide positions to receive the ball, but started in central positions. He was the guy at the end of attacking moves, not setting them up and his main strengths are his speed, off the ball movement and finishing (apart from last season he’s consistently out scored his xG). 

Thanks, Bethnal.

1 minute ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

That's where Pukki played his first 4 games for us. 

First two games he was started there, 3rd he was a sub, fourth he wasn't wide at all. First game Vs Brum he played RM in a 4-1-4-1 formation with Rhodes up top as the lone striker. 2nd game he played right of a forward three in a 4-3-3 with Rhodes central, Pukki to the right and Hernandez on the left.

Game three was Vs Stevenege in the cup where he was used as a 78th minute substitute for Cantwell on the left of an attacking 3 behind the striker.

Game four looked like this:
image.png.c8ddee76674ecf35aaf9a0e0c8608a61.png

2 hours ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

If no one gets him as the window moves on and his price drops I can see Norwich maybe having another look, but he was never a likely transfer it seems. Blackburn aren't going to get the £20m they have said they want.

I can see them hugely overplaying their hand and ending up having to sell him for about £5m in January if they keep demanding £20m