Sign in to follow this  
The Great Mass Debater

Who would you rather have. Grealish or Buendia?

Who would you rather have. Grealish or Buendia?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you prefer in your team?

• Grealish
    • Buendia

In our very biased population, who would you rather have in your team.

Emi is attracting initial bids of £30m, Grealish is being put in the £100m bracket. Is there a £70m difference in the two?

So if you had a choice of having Buendia or Grealish for next season who would you pick?

Grealish is probably more established/experienced than Emi, it doesn't mean he is a better player though. Throw Maddison into the mix as well, who would you choose from those 3?

Personally Emi for me is a better all round footballer, his defensive work is hugely underrated 

Grealish probably has such a price tag due to being British in a post-Brexit transfer market in England.

I wouldn't have Grealish anywhere near my club. In fact I'd pay him not to be here.

Buendia though fits in, he is a total team player, has his heart in the right place and even when he loses focus and is left out the team, buckles down and proves himself again and again.  Family man, great footballer. 

Buendia all day long.

• Like 4

I think that Emi has grown up a lot in the last year and that improved attitude has seen him produce better performances this season-although obviously the lower quality of opposition makes him look better. I’m hoping that we see him carrying on that improvement next season in yellow and green. 

I don’t think Grealish has shown an improvement in the last year so it will be interesting to see how they compare but for me, Emi offers a more allround performance than Grealish.

Edited by Mr Angry
Tiny typo

1 minute ago, lake district canary said:

I wouldn't have Grealish anywhere near my club. In fact I'd pay him not to be here.

Buendia though fits in, he is a total team player, has his heart in the right place and even when he loses focus and is left out the team, buckles down and proves himself again and again.  Family man, great footballer. 

Buendia all day long.

What exactly would being a family man have to do with his capacity on the pitch?

Buendia, as he has the X factor that Grealish does not.

Grealish is certainly a good player but it would be interesting (to me anyway) how he would get on if he was at another Club, other than his beloved Villa (not withstanding his off field 'antics')? He has been lauded there, and some of that is he can do no wrong with their fans, as he is one of their own. 

A different Club and he becomes just like any other signing, trying to impress the fans. What does he offer, that would make him stand out in a team, that is better than Villa? 

Grealish has been in his comfort zone, whereas Emi has 'gambled' and gone to a completely different culture and impressed.

• Like 2

Some of you lot are barking mad. Taking off my yellow and green specs for a moment, and ignoring their personalities, Grealish is a much more controlled footballer and contributes more consistently and with more quality; is proven at a PL and an international level. Buendia may well have comparable skill with a ball and vision but is still inconsistent, temperamental and has yet to prove he is even a PL player at a regular level.

Pay £100m for Grealish and you're getting a pretty much guaranteed 7 out of 10 for 35 or so games with a few 8s and 9s thrown in. Despite getting kicked to bits in every game. Pay £40m for Buendia and at the moment there aren't any guarantees, other than he'll get at least one red card.

Putting my specs back on, Grealish is an arrogant toerag and Emi is a much better entertainer.

2 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

Some of you lot are barking mad. Taking off my yellow and green specs for a moment, and ignoring their personalities, Grealish is a much more controlled footballer and contributes more consistently and with more quality; is proven at a PL and an international level. Buendia may well have comparable skill with a ball and vision but is still inconsistent, temperamental and has yet to prove he is even a PL player at a regular level.

Pay £100m for Grealish and you're getting a pretty much guaranteed 7 out of 10 for 35 or so games with a few 8s and 9s thrown in. Despite getting kicked to bits in every game. Pay £40m for Buendia and at the moment there aren't any guarantees, other than he'll get at least one red card.

Putting my specs back on, Grealish is an arrogant toerag and Emi is a much better entertainer.

To be fair, in 2018/19, there wasn't much in them when it came to creating chances - and that was a Norwich team hamstrung by three centre-halves missing for half the season if not more. Grealish may well have underlined his top-tier PL credentials with another season, but Buendia was close behind even in a very misfiring team.

There's no way Grealish is twice the player Buendia is, and I insist the only reason his price is so high in this market is that he's a home-grown player in a post-Brexit market. I'd probably agree that at the moment he's edging the battle, but I think Buendia's got far more upside.

• Like 1

I've gone for Grealish as he's already had two decent seasons in the PL and is good enough to start for England, ask the same question at the end of next season though and the answer might be different depending on how Buendia performs either for City or whoever he signs for.

As an aside part of me thinks Villa's interest in Buendia is because Grealish could be off once the Euros are finished.

Not a personal fan of Grealish but his stats at Premier League level speak for themselves. 

Grealish is a great player. He would be a shoe-in starter for England in my book. I love Emi and will be gutted if/when we lose him but he has yet to do it in the prem. Grealish ran plenty of games in the prem prior to his injury. I'm not a great fan of his attitude and he goes over like a granny on a frosty morning but there is no doubting his footballing ability.

2 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

What exactly would being a family man have to do with his capacity on the pitch?

All part of his character of what he is. One of the main reasons we are successful as a club is that we have decent characters at the club. I don't get that sense with the guy he is being compared to on this thread, quite the opposite actually. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

All part of his character of what he is. One of the main reasons we are successful as a club is that we have decent characters at the club. I don't get that sense with the guy he is being compared to on this thread, quite the opposite actually. 

I agree with fundamental decency of character, but don't think in the slightest his being a "family man" has anything to do with it. Looks like a classic "correlation / causation" error.

Emi all day long. Grealish is good, but Emi can be outrageous at times. I suspect never again in my lifetime will I see a player who can light up a football pitch like he can. It will be a very sad day if and when he leaves.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Not surprising on a Norwich forum that Buendia is running away with it, but Grealish is a top player who would run away with this poll if it were in any neutral arena.

Yes, but thats because more fans will have seen Grealish than Buendia. Those who know nothing about Buendia wont look beyond the mooted price tags.

What irks me is that we sold Maddison to Leicester for £24m and a season later £80m transfers were being talked about.

I can see Villa getting Emi for £40m and then selling him for twice the price if he has a great season.

If we can, wouldnt we be better pulling out all the stops to keep him knowing his value is only likely to go up? Its not like we need to sell. You should sell him for £40m when you've just been relegated, not when you've just been promoted and can give him Premier League football, when he has already proved playing for Norwich is not an obstacle to international recognition.

Id be happy to sell him to a genuinely top team in the Champions League, we're never going to be able to offer him that. But what will Villa offer him? We'd be far better dumping any proposed transfer kitty into a massive new contract offer for him. I mean honestly, how do we even hope to replace him?

It just rings true to me of a gentlemans agreement.

4 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

I agree with fundamental decency of character, but don't think in the slightest his being a "family man" has anything to do with it. Looks like a classic "correlation / causation" error.

I think it has everything to do with it. A player that is settled and with parental responsibility is less likely to go out partying at all hours and ignoring rules when they feel like it.  Not true in every case of course, but in Emi's case over Grealish, then quite an important factor to consider.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I think it has everything to do with it. A player that is settled and with parental responsibility is less likely to go out partying at all hours and ignoring rules when they feel like it.  Not true in every case of course, but in Emi's case over Grealish, then quite an important factor to consider.

I really cannot agree there. In fact, you'll find single people are often more likely to go to the gym and even if married parents may not necessarily go out and party at all hours, they may well start drinking far more at home so one unhealthy lifestyle that's more common in one group is simply replaced with another unhealthy choice common to another.

Increasingly, it's becoming known and clearer that single people as opposed to couples have less debt, volunteer more (usually with the exception of religious organisations), and indeed, as said before, go to the gym more too. After all, being a family man / coupled up didn't stop Paul Gascoigne planting one on his missus.

If you're interested, I'd warmly recommend that you look up an American researcher called Bella DePaulo, and if you're REALLY interested, look at her book Singled Out. A lot of stereotypes about single life are debunked in that.

Edited by TheGunnShow

I would take Peps judgement above most if all the rumours are correct. He is prepared to pay £100 million for Grealish as he considers him the best. If Pep thought he could get a better player as good as Grealish for 60 - 70 million less he would.

I hate Grealish but Villa had lost few games when he played, and many when he didn’t. Grealish staying at Villa is the difference between Villa finishing top 1/2 or being in a relegation fight.

After saying that we would be mad to sell him to Villa if Grealish leaves as that would boost their chances of finishing above us.

50 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

I really cannot agree there. In fact, you'll find single people are often more likely to go to the gym and even if married parents may not necessarily go out and party at all hours, they may well start drinking far more at home so one unhealthy lifestyle that's more common in one group is simply replaced with another unhealthy choice common to another.

Increasingly, it's becoming known and clearer that single people as opposed to couples have less debt, volunteer more (usually with the exception of religious organisations), and indeed, as said before, go to the gym more too. After all, being a family man / coupled up didn't stop Paul Gascoigne planting one on his missus.

If you're interested, I'd warmly recommend that you look up an American researcher called Bella DePaulo, and if you're REALLY interested, look at her book Singled Out. A lot of stereotypes about single life are debunked in that.

That's all very well and may well be true, but we are talking about Grealish here.....and he does not seem all that on the responsible single type.....

1 minute ago, lake district canary said:

That's all very well and may well be true, but we are talking about Grealish here.....and he does not seem all that on the responsible single type.....

Sure, but I don't think that's likely to change much if he becomes a family man either. Hell, didn't stop Wayne Rooney nailing grannies.

7 hours ago, sgncfc said:

Binner

1 hour ago, Well b back said:

I would take Peps judgement above most if all the rumours are correct. He is prepared to pay £100 million for Grealish as he considers him the best. If Pep thought he could get a better player as good as Grealish for 60 - 70 million less he would.

I hate Grealish but Villa had lost few games when he played, and many when he didn’t. Grealish staying at Villa is the difference between Villa finishing top 1/2 or being in a relegation fight.

After saying that we would be mad to sell him to Villa if Grealish leaves as that would boost their chances of finishing above us.

That's a very good point. If Guardiola apparently watches us in his spare time he will be very aware of Buendia, yet they don't appear to be interested which seems to indicate he is not thought of as at their level, whereas Grealish is.