Alex Moss

Transfer Rumour Thread Season 2021/22

26 minutes ago, Danke bitte said:

@TheGunnShowYou commented on another thread you want to see a striker come in, I thought Rashica represents that winger / forward hybrid Farke wanted? My worry with him is he's unproven in the Prem and our back up options in Hernandez and Placheta might not be good enough. In that view do you think we need another out and out striker? I did wonder yesterday whether Pukki and Idah (Hugill out?) would be enough.

I don't know but I think the idea was for someone who could play out wide but also was strong enough to play as a lone striker. On the basis that they wouldn't just be sitting on the bench waiting for Pukki to get injured. They would get game time out wide as well. But if need could replace Pukki. Hence, I think, why we were looking at Josh King, and perhaps also now Braithwaite.

My impression - only that - of Raschica is that while he might have played as a striker, and he can certainly score a few goals, he is not really someone who can lead the line by himself. For that you need more physicality (not necessarily size but a kind of drive, as Fleck had) than he seems to have.

• Like 1

Yes. I believe that Raschica is also that alternative to Pukki that many of us have considered vital.

We also have Idah who might well "Summer"  in the same way as Cantwell did and prove to be a force of some sort at PL level, whilst Hugill's head is always available should we be chasing a game and in need of another option. 

I believe an extra central defender of power and class should now be the priority.

Edited by BroadstairsR

59 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

My impression - only that - of Raschica is that while he might have played as a striker, and he can certainly score a few goals, he is not really someone who can lead the line by himself. For that you need more physicality (not necessarily size but a kind of drive, as Fleck had) than he seems to have.

Agreed. Rashica doesn't strike me as the type of player who could operate as a lone striker and I'd be very reluctant to move a key player from their best position to use as a makeshift elsewhere because we'd be weakening two positions.

• Like 1

City moving on from Ajer.

Mixed feelings about this. On the one hand I thought it seemed a real coup, someone who again not that long ago had been very hotly rated.

On the other hand though, I've seen from people who know much more about this lad than me that he's been particularly poor recently. 

I'm sure we've got other targets in mind. Will be interesting to see who.

The fact we’re cooling interest ourselves makes it sound like perhaps he’s asking for say wage demands outside of our current structure, as it sounds like negotiations were ongoing before.

Ajer always felt a bit like a stretch given his relatively high profile. Sounds like one of the German clubs may have firmed up their interest and the player prefers going that way. 

If Norwich had marked him as a high priority it is obviously a shame to miss out. Will be interesting to see out of all the defenders they have been linked to, who they move onto next. 

26 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

The fact we’re cooling interest ourselves makes it sound like perhaps he’s asking for say wage demands outside of our current structure, as it sounds like negotiations were ongoing before.

Who knows. It might be that Ajer has had another offer and wants to look into it but we aren't prepared to wait.

A bit like dumping your partner before they could dump you 😂

My approach to "silly season" - unless the club confirms anything, pay little heed to it. So many transfer rumours are a bunch of rubbish, even ones reported by local press can turn out to be something instigated by agent talk.

For example, I am very doubtful that we were ever after Steven Berghuis. I think this is only further evidence by the signing of Rashica. One is 29 and supposedly £4m the other is 24 and is being touted as breaking or being on par with our transfer record.

Ajer is an interesting one. That article doesn't say we are not interested in him anymore, but that our interest has "cooled". Who knows what that means. Could it be he isn't a primary target and our preferred target is closer to being confirmed? Who knows. I just wouldn't read too much into any of it tbh.

Rashica went under the radar - as have the vast majority of our signings under Webber to be fair.

Edited by chicken

34 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Exactly my thinking. He's probably had a decent offer from a side that can offer European football and used it as a bargaining chip. I'd prefer Adarabioyo anyway - as I've said before I think Ajer's rather easily bullied for his size and Adarabioyo has the advantage of knowing the league already.

2 minutes ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

The reports about Ajer have always worried me a bit, so many saying he's physically weak. That's really not what we're going to need next year so this might be a blessing

It's not that he's weak, he is a big guy but doesn't really use it. There's hardly any aggression in him at all. If you put Hanley's attitude in him, you'd have a belting prospect.

From the deal nearly being done (paddy d) to us cooling our interest. Sound like he’s upped his demands. Agent has probably come back saying another club are willing to offer more, will you match it?

50 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Probably asked for more than 40 grand a week 🙃

3 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

It's not that he's weak, he is a big guy but doesn't really use it. There's hardly any aggression in him at all. If you put Hanley's attitude in him, you'd have a belting prospect.

Easier said than done to change someones mentality. He might just be a player better suited to playing in Europe if he doesn't have that natural intensity and aggression. Timm Klose was the same, great footballer, but didn't like it when attackers roughed him up and didn't ever really seem to enjoy defending, I just don't think that's the type of player we need right now. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, chicken said:

My approach to "silly season" - unless the club confirms anything, pay little heed to it. So many transfer rumours are a bunch of rubbish, even ones reported by local press can turn out to be something instigated by agent talk.

For example, I am very doubtful that we were ever after Steven Berghuis. I think this is only further evidence by the signing of Rashica. One is 29 and supposedly £4m the other is 24 and is being touted as breaking or being on par with our transfer record.

Ajer is an interesting one. That article doesn't say we are not interested in him anymore, but that our interest has "cooled". Who knows what that means. Could it be he isn't a primary target and our preferred target is closer to being confirmed? Who knows. I just wouldn't read too much into any of it tbh.

Rashica went under the radar - as have the vast majority of our signings under Webber to be fair.

Apparently Berghuis was definitely on the radar for Norwich and he was seriously considering it. Was told that quite a while ago. The lure of Ajax was too great though. There were quite a few options for him I believe.

52 minutes ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

Easier said than done to change someones mentality. He might just be a player better suited to playing in Europe if he doesn't have that natural intensity and aggression. Timm Klose was the same, great footballer, but didn't like it when attackers roughed him up and didn't ever really seem to enjoy defending, I just don't think that's the type of player we need right now. 

Precisely. You can't coach stones in a guy. Either got them or you don't. Ajer's not really got them. Serie A or La Liga would be superb places for him. He looks like a thoughtful leader in something of the Zimmermann mould but less aggressive (although Zimbo isn't exactly that high in the aggression stakes IMO).

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Probably asked for more than 40 grand a week 🙃

Then he can f*ck off, he's not done enough to warrant more than that.

1 hour ago, TheGoogler said:

City moving on from Ajer.

Mixed feelings about this. On the one hand I thought it seemed a real coup, someone who again not that long ago had been very hotly rated.

On the other hand though, I've seen from people who know much more about this lad than me that he's been particularly poor recently. 

I'm sure we've got other targets in mind. Will be interesting to see who.

In the same boat. Initially quite excited by the reports but then reading celtic fans views on him became less convinced that he is what we really need. We've got lots of good, technical players. Not sure we need a CB who is "a bit weak" or not good in the air. 

I get the feeling the club picked up on a vibe that he was not really up for the move, possibly even before he "walked away" after everything was agreed. 

2 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Interesting, given the “itk” guy who said it was as good as done.  Perhaps he is just a lucky guesser after all?

The ITK guy has posted this morning to say Ajer has walked away. 

You can't guess with the accuracy he has shown, that's just absurd. 

Maybe we should go after Nat Phillips instead... I see Burnley are sniffing around but they have just bought 1 cb and have the Tarkowski/Mee unbreakable partnership already. Seen £15m quoted so maybe we can try bargain that down a bit.

Deffo one that would be more aggressive than Ajer, lad would head a brick if it came in the 5 yard box.

3 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Interesting, given the “itk” guy who said it was as good as done.  Perhaps he is just a lucky guesser after all?

Imagine he'll tweet something like 'Norwich thought it was all done but Ajer had a change in heart'. Which could be accurate of course! I'm just very sceptical of 'ITKs' as people who generally are in the known don't tend to feel the need to shout about it.

3 minutes ago, Tetteys Jig said:

Maybe we should go after Nat Phillips instead... I see Burnley are sniffing around but they have just bought 1 cb and have the Tarkowski/Mee unbreakable partnership already. Seen £15m quoted so maybe we can try bargain that down a bit.

Deffo one that would be more aggressive than Ajer, lad would head a brick if it came in the 5 yard box.

I would definitely like to see us going in for Nat Phillips.

Edited by TheGoogler

44 minutes ago, TheGoogler said:

The ITK guy has posted this morning to say Ajer has walked away. 

You can't guess with the accuracy he has shown, that's just absurd. 

Sorry, what accuracy is that - pretty sure he said a couple of days ago that it was ‘done’?  Now it was that he was only in discussions and had failed a personality test.  That’s not ‘done’ to my mind.

I’ve no idea if he knows stuff or not, none of us do…but it always seems a good idea to take these things with a pinch of salt. Put me down as sceptical, but happy to be wrong.

Edited by Branston Pickle

3 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Sorry, what accuracy is that - pretty sure he said a couple of days ago that it was ‘done’?  Now it was that he was only in discussions and had failed a personality test.  That’s not ‘done’ to my mind.

I’ve no idea if he knows stuff or not, none of us do…but it always seems a good idea to take these things with a pinch of salt.

Didn;t say it was done. Said Ajer had agreed to come. Not technically inconsistent with what is being said now.

In my experience that account is generally accurate and definitely has a credible source. 

5 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Didn;t say it was done. Said Ajer had agreed to come. Not technically inconsistent with what is being said now.

In my experience that account is generally accurate and definitely has a credible source. 

Fine by me, I’ll remain in the sceptical camp.  Ultimately it all makes little difference, we all find out who has signed and who hasn’t eventually.  I just put these things down as being part of the fun of close-season/transfer windows!

Edited by Branston Pickle

8 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Which account is generally accurate?