Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Aarons has been told he can leave.

1 minute ago, Jim Smith said:

And so it begins and this illustrates why we are unlikely to ever be able to compete at the top level. Clubs like Leicester and West Ham are now seen as “steps up” we cannot deny our young players.

profoundly depressing. I knew it was coming but even so it’s depressing. This sale I suppose I can just about tolerate since we knew it was likely but if we sell any more of our key players it will be a disgrace. We also have a director of football actively telling everyone he’s off in a year, most likely taking our head coach with him as well. id be a lot more comfortable if there was a bit of news about the long term strategy here. 

It hasn't just begun! I mean lordy, West Ham have always been a relatively successful side - as the old joke goes, they won the world cup in '66. But even ignoring that, this isn't anything new, not even in the slightest really. West Ham being successful is different to them being able to afford more lucrative contracts etc. We've known that since they signed Ashton off us, or Bowen even... So yeah, it hasn't been coming, this has been the reality for us since relegation to the old Division 1 in 1995.

I don't believe he has been "actively" telling everyone he's off in a year - he's got a contract and he has ambitions, but he has also said "you never know" in regards to possibly staying longer. He really isn't going around telling everyone he'll be off, see ya! 

8 minutes ago, chicken said:

The report I read said that the club had informed him and he was happy with their decision. Mainly because I think he is down to earth, still young and wants to be close to family and also wasn't attracted by a non-bid. They just wanted him on loan for the season without any other commitments. So he'd likely go off and play for Barca-B's for half a season at least then maybe make the first team bench once or twice if he's lucky. Bearing in mind I believe his agent also said it wasn't really an attractive offer at this time for him.

The championship is a higher level of league than Barca-B's play in, so he is better off progressing his career with us or moving to a Prem team of which there appear to be several suitors.

I think it was more Max could understand why the decision had been made not that he didn't want to go to Barcelona, which I'm pretty sure he would have done in a heartbeat.

They wanted him for their first team, it was between Max and Serginho Dest who they would sign. Ultimately they went with Dest, but not until the end of the transfer window.

I do think a number of people are missing the chance to spout sensationalist rubbish on this thread. 

Surely the major take way from all these rumours is Max Aarons saying: "F**k the North!"

56 minutes ago, pete said:

Can't see West Ham stumping up the required fee, after previous transfer dealings between the clubs it should be £40m to WHU.  Byram injury prone. Matt Forgot his name Injury prone, and for poaching Deano.  I am sure there are more Alan Taylor but thanks for Martin Peters.     

...bought from Spurs...😎

24 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

And so it begins and this illustrates why we are unlikely to ever be able to compete at the top level. Clubs like Leicester and West Ham are now seen as “steps up” we cannot deny our young players.

profoundly depressing. I knew it was coming but even so it’s depressing. This sale I suppose I can just about tolerate since we knew it was likely but if we sell any more of our key players it will be a disgrace. We also have a director of football actively telling everyone he’s off in a year, most likely taking our head coach with him as well. id be a lot more comfortable if there was a bit of news about the long term strategy here. 

Oh joy. Another post from Jim  'bad news a speciality' Smith that makes the chorus from a Greek tragedy sound upbeat and jolly by comparison...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

I do think a number of people are missing the chance to spout sensationalist rubbish on this thread. 

Surely the major take way from all these rumours is Max Aarons saying: "F**k the North!"

He belongs in Kings Landing.

Report suggests Aarons wants to stay in south east, seemingly ruling out Everton. If not West Ham, how about a permanent swap with Spurs for Skipp?

Or would you prefer £30m in the kitty ?

4 minutes ago, Samwam27 said:

I think the club want the money to expand the transfer budget for this summer

41 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Other than the fact this squad has moved forward every time it sold a 'star' in recent years I wholeheartedly agree. 

3 minutes ago, Samwam27 said:

Report suggests Aarons wants to stay in south east, seemingly ruling out Everton. If not West Ham, how about a permanent swap with Spurs for Skipp?

Would have to be Skipp+cash for Aarons. Might sound harsh but Skipp is nearing the end of his first season of professional football in the Championship. Will he adapt to the step up to the Prem is a question that still needs to be answered. Aarons on the other hand, has three seasons of professional football behind him as a first choice and did not look out of his depth in the PL.

I'm surprised whole Skipp/Aarons swap deal so frequently brought up on here. Never going to happen. A loan deal as a sweetner I could see but a swap + cash. Nope.

Edited by KeiranShikari

27 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Oh joy. Another post from Jim  'bad news a speciality' Smith that makes the chorus from a Greek tragedy sound upbeat and jolly by comparison...

Forgive me for not being delighted at the prospect of us selling one of our best young players for years. I'm afraid I can;t join the ranks of those amongst our fanbase who seem as excited by big transfer fees as by winning matches.

Selling Max to Bayern or Barca or Man U because we can;t deny him that sort of move is one thing. Actively encouraging a sale in the same week we've just been promoted back to the premier league is another. If the likes of West Ham, Leicester, Palace etc are now considered to be a tier above us in the pyramid then thats only because we have imposed that ceiling on ourselves whilst they have shown greater ambition when opportunities have presented themselves.

Although I stand to be corrected, I cannot think of a situation where a team just promoted from the championship has sold their best player or one of their two or three best players in that summer, esepcially to a team who barring this freak season would normally be regarded as a rival at premier league level. Villa possibly a bit of a parallel with them losing their loan players (which they had no control over) but i'm struggling to think of any who have sold them. Clearly we are going to break that mould this summer and if its just Aarons and it helps us to bring in a couple of players needed elsewhere in the team then i can just about live with that but I still don;t like it. I'd still prefer us to actually, just once, try and build a top flight side around these very talented players and if we sell Buendia as well then we may as well just not bother.  

Seems realistic to me, if someone has to go, Aarons would be the player we can replace with the least disruption simply because it's easier to come in and play fullback than other roles.  To replace Buendia or Skipp is a lot harder, not just because of their quality as individuals, but so much of their roles involve knowing how the team fits together and that almost instinctive understanding of where other players are going to be moving etc which we now have. 

So it makes sense to me to take the initiative a bit with Aarons and see if we can get a good price for him early on, we can then make sure we have a good replacement but also use the money on other areas.

1 hour ago, chicken said:

It hasn't just begun! I mean lordy, West Ham have always been a relatively successful side - as the old joke goes, they won the world cup in '66. But even ignoring that, this isn't anything new, not even in the slightest really. West Ham being successful is different to them being able to afford more lucrative contracts etc. We've known that since they signed Ashton off us, or Bowen even... So yeah, it hasn't been coming, this has been the reality for us since relegation to the old Division 1 in 1995.

I don't believe he has been "actively" telling everyone he's off in a year - he's got a contract and he has ambitions, but he has also said "you never know" in regards to possibly staying longer. He really isn't going around telling everyone he'll be off, see ya! 

It doesn;t sit that comfortably with me that Farke's contract happens to run out at exactly the same time raising the possibility that the two could move as a pair which presumably might add to their attractiveness to other clubs. I would like to know who at the club is responsible for dealing with the Farke contract side of things and whether attempts have been (or will be made) made to extend it. 

9 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Forgive me for not being delighted at the prospect of us selling one of our best young players for years. I'm afraid I can;t join the ranks of those amongst our fanbase who seem as excited by big transfer fees as by winning matches.

Selling Max to Bayern or Barca or Man U because we can;t deny him that sort of move is one thing. Actively encouraging a sale in the same week we've just been promoted back to the premier league is another. If the likes of West Ham, Leicester, Palace etc are now considered to be a tier above us in the pyramid then thats only because we have imposed that ceiling on ourselves whilst they have shown greater ambition when opportunities have presented themselves.

Although I stand to be corrected, I cannot think of a situation where a team just promoted from the championship has sold their best player or one of their two or three best players in that summer, esepcially to a team who barring this freak season would normally be regarded as a rival at premier league level. Villa possibly a bit of a parallel with them losing their loan players (which they had no control over) but i'm struggling to think of any who have sold them. Clearly we are going to break that mould this summer and if its just Aarons and it helps us to bring in a couple of players needed elsewhere in the team then i can just about live with that but I still don;t like it. I'd still prefer us to actually, just once, try and build a top flight side around these very talented players and if we sell Buendia as well then we may as well just not bother.  

Not sure anyone's delighted about this potential sale but most of us get it. Leicester and West Ham are competing at the top of the league, Leicester have a £100m training ground with a private golf course on it ffs. The club clearly don't want to sell to teams near the bottom of the league, and Max certainly won't be going to one of them. Genuinely wouldn't be surprised if it was an Arsenal or Spurs.

Adding a few players to this current squad is one way of doing it but with our spending power I'm not sure how much we'd be getting. Selling Max probably allows us to double our transfer pot, that's a big increase in quality of signing.

I'd also add that as good a player Max is we'll be under the cosh a lot more next season and that's where his weaknesses are. Lots of teams targetted him in the Premier League last time around.

It just makes sense to me.

Also the fact the club are seemingly actively trying to sell him would suggest they have their replacement picked out. Even the most miserable **** would struggle to argue that we haven't replaced big names well recently.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

Also the fact the club are seemingly actively trying to sell him would suggest they have their replacement picked out. Even the most miserable **** would struggle to argue that we haven't replaced big names well recently.

At championship level we have. Jury is still very much out on our ability to identify/secure decent signing at premier league level. Big summer for the recruitment team this. 

Just now, Jim Smith said:

At championship level we have. Jury is still very much out on our ability to identify/secure decent signing at premier league level. Big summer for the recruitment team this. 

I'm sure we identified plenty last time, affording them is another thing though.

1 hour ago, KeiranShikari said:

I'm sure we identified plenty last time, affording them is another thing though.

Exactly - in the recent past we've tried to sign Virgil Van Dijk, Toby Alderweireld and Kalidou Koulibaly.  No problem for us identifying the best talent - it's just the affording it that's been the problem. 

Mumba won't be the answer, we learned our lesson last time with young players with no PL experience- read the playbook for Lewis and Godfrey, both replaced with PL level peak-age players.

I'd be looking at top level sides, a mid 20s RB with good pedigree but for one reason or another isn't getting a start (basically a Byram but hopefully without playdoh legs) 

1 hour ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Sell Max and others, spend half the proceeds then claim we’ve invested well. 

If that's what it takes  to remain  self sustaining and moving incrementally  forward....as we have been  since SW and DF arrived its OK by me. No  management/scouting team  gets it 100% right but these guys are pretty damn good . Just look at the overall progress in the Club, that is far more important  than  individual  players.

2 hours ago, KeiranShikari said:

Most people thought we'd miss Godfrey and Lewis.Well,we did'nt. In fact we replaced them with better players.Aarons deserves his move to whoever.I for one trust Webber and Farke to replace him with someone we probably have never heard of and who turns out to be on the same level or,hopefully better.Lets see.