Feedthewolf

Skipp and McLean

4 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

A very fair point, I'd just say a few games now would help Sorensen get more used to his teammates when in his own best position, that's all.

I think you can use him in the cup there a bit and I'm sure at some point one of Skipp or McLean will need a rest/pick up a knock.

Edited by king canary

3 minutes ago, king canary said:

Ndombele and Sissoko also play in that role and thats before you consider they may make a new signing there. Think there is a good chance Skipp spends next season on loan somewhere.

I agree and if we get promoted, I can't think of any reason we wouldn't be absolutely top of the list (unless he falls out of the team and doesn't get back in).

They both rightfully have their place. How some posters,  you know who you are, still don't rate Mclean at this level absolutely baffles me.

However, they'll both have drops in form or injury or suspension between now and the end of the season which will give one of the others an opportunity.

• Like 2

If we can make a phone call and get skipp for next season than great. If not we need to take care of NCFC not Spurs. Get Sorrenson in the tean at his position. The calmest player on the pitch tonight.

11 minutes ago, mastoola said:

If we can make a phone call and get skipp for next season than great. If not we need to take care of NCFC not Spurs. Get Sorrenson in the tean at his position. The calmest player on the pitch tonight.

Taking care of NCFC is picking the best team to win games. On current form, Skipp and McLean are the best central midfield pairing by a country mile. Why would you change it? Sorensen is on a long-term contract and has already proven himself to be an intelligent, versatile young footballer. The team has to come before the development of any individual, and this team is absolutely buzzing as it is right now. Maybe give Lungi a start in midfield on Saturday, as one would expect Giannoulis to be starting at LB in our next league game.

10 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Taking care of NCFC is picking the best team to win games. On current form, Skipp and McLean are the best central midfield pairing by a country mile. Why would you change it? Sorensen is on a long-term contract and has already proven himself to be an intelligent, versatile young footballer. The team has to come before the development of any individual, and this team is absolutely buzzing as it is right now. Maybe give Lungi a start in midfield on Saturday, as one would expect Giannoulis to be starting at LB in our next league game.

Because he will be as good if not better than Skipp.

7 minutes ago, mastoola said:

Because he will be as good if not better than Skipp.

If you're right, we'll have one hell of a player on our hands! Either way, I'm sure he'll get a chance with injuries, suspensions, rotation and/or loss of form. 

Would anyone put sorensen where KM is and play KM behind the front man with cantwell and buendia? 

Just now, Ward 3 said:

Would anyone put sorensen where KM is and play KM behind the front man with cantwell and buendia? 

Yeah a few other people suggested that. I think it could definitely work in principle, but at the moment I think Oli and Kenny are playing so well together it'd be a bit daft to separate them.

1 minute ago, Ward 3 said:

No. Dowell was bought for that role. 

6 minutes ago, Ward 3 said:

I said exactly that earlier. Think McLean could start a bit deeper though, so more of a number 8 than a number 10. That way you'll still get his dynamic box-to-box work.

• Like 1

The thing is with McClean you could certainly play a 3 man midfield without a real number 10 as he’s bombing forward and supporting them anyhow. 
Sorensen appears to like getting in the box too, so both could switch and press allowing Skipp to hold, it could well work.

But Vrancic has been decent the last two games. You could say if Sorensen keeps playing as well as he is at left back he’ll be keeping two good player on the bench!

2 minutes ago, Indy said:

The thing is with McClean you could certainly play a 3 man midfield without a real number 10 as he’s bombing forward and supporting them anyhow. 
Sorensen appears to like getting in the box too, so both could switch and press allowing Skipp to hold, it could well work.

But Vrancic has been decent the last two games. You could say if Sorensen keeps playing as well as he is at left back he’ll be keeping two good player on the bench!

Exactly. I've said many times I think we could go 4-3-2-1 to better effect, but it means you'll need at least one box-to-box man in the deep. I mainly thought that as the best way to put Vrancic in a deep-lying position, but looking at our midfielders, the thought of Skipp, Sorensen and McLean together (or indeed Rupp instead of Skipp if we can't get him on loan again) sounds bloody good to me!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

Would Skipp get in ahead of Winks or Hjoberg? Doubt it. So it would suit Spurs to leave him with us for at least another season.

I would not give up hope on Skipp being available in a year or two, and coming back on loan if we get promoted next season ems likely.  There is always pressure at the top 10 clubs to bring in a player at the peak of this potential.  As a result Spurs fans love the club spending cash, and so Skipp will find it difficult to get an opportunity.  Perhaps that will give us an opportunity.

2 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

We must not break up this partnership. They've gelled into a fearsome double act, and tonight was the best yet. Skipp is just magnificent; excellent range of passing, fantastic stamina and brilliant awareness and positioning. McLean is a bully with good technique, a brilliant first touch and an aerial presence. Together they were absolutely everywhere today. I wonder whether Jose would consider letting us give Oli a year of regular PL football next season if we get promoted?

Feel a bit sorry for Rupp as he was starting to look the business before his injury, but these two are absolutely unimpeachable on current form.

They were absolutely rubbish .....................or one of them would have won man if the match award

but away from that sort of tilliness they were both in top form again

Skipp is not afraid to take the ball forward, which has given us a better attacking threat away from the 'after you Claude' stuff that meant previously we waited until they were back in numbers before passing forward - McLean also covers so much more ground than before, and like Buendia dies not stay in 'formation' either

another breaking that 'rule' was Sorensen who took the ball into the 18 yard box numerous tome

all in all we looked a more expansive side  I- suspect finally recognising this a relatively weak league this season, and it is theirs for the taking, so best open up and get stuck in

Things change so quickly in football. In a short space of time, everyone has forgotten about Rupp, McLean has gone from being the scapegoat to a superstar and Vrancic is no longer the saviour now that he's playing more regularly. Within a couple of weeks, everything could, and probably will, change again. The only constant in the midfield trio seems to be Skipp.

I think that by the time February rolls around, we may well and seeing Giannoulis in at left back, Sorensen can move into midfield and McLean can play as the ten. I like the sound of it and wouldn't mind seeing that given a go.

Where on Earth have those vocal McLean critics gone? 🤔

They were absolutely sublime tonight and have been brilliant for the past few games. As others have said Kenny McLean is in the best form of his Norwich career.

I'd love to see Sorenson in his natural position, and Rupp was superb before his injury, but there's no way you can break up the current partnership given how well they're playing. I'm sure others will get a chance at some point but for now we need to keep it as it is. Saying we should drop Skipp, one of our best-performing players this season, so we can give someone else an opportunity long-term is just nonsense. Why even bother signing loan players if we're just going to bench them half-way through the season despite how well they're playing?

Edited by Pukki Blinders

The Mayor is much more of a goal threat than Rupp so if it comes down to a choice between them on who partners "undroppable" Skipp, Kenny should get the nod. His form is easily the best for us since his arrival.

I can't help thinking that we're getting a bit carried away about Skipp. He's miles away from being a top 6 player but he's obviously exceptional at this level. Having said that, he still makes glaring errors. If Kenny had given the ball away as Skipp did at Cardiff in the first minute he would have been slaughtered on this forum. 

Sorenson looks like a great all round player to me but he needs to play in his proper position before next season. Hopefully he'll play there on Saturday. 

22 hours ago, Flying Dutchman said:

I've seen some nonsense on this forum. But good grief.

Sorry but will stick with my initial statement.  Skipp is a wonderful player. However maybe Sorrenson will be as good in his position? If he is we must play him there because we wont have Skipp next year. Hey  good grief that we must look forward 😕 

On 20/01/2021 at 20:17, kirku said:

They've been excellent. Wonder if there's an argument for Kenny in the 10 when Rupp is fit?

Rupp Or Sorensen, when our new LB is available. 

On 20/01/2021 at 20:29, Capt. Pants said:

Can't see Skipp being here next season. If Jose wants to loan him again I think it will be to a mid table Premier League team to continue his progression.

No disrespects to us but he'll learn nothing being in a relegation battle.

McLean is more of a goal threat. Rupp can't shoot or header. 

Not sure I agree there O Cap'n my Cap'n.

I would have thought playing as the deep-lying midfielder during a relegation battle against some of the world's best players would be the best training ground imaginable.