Sign in to follow this  
TIL 1010

Lockdown Looks To Be On Its Way.

8 minutes ago, vos said:

If the virus is so serious can anyone explain why most of our modern clean surgeries have been closed over the weekend for two days. There have been plenty of volunteers with previous vaccination experience who would have been quite willing to assist. Numerous people would have been quite happy to deal with admin parking etc. Quiet two days for car owners to bring in the elderly. (OK some slight risk in this). We need to get a grip sooner rather than later. To help NHS I see no reason why everyone should not pay a fiver for the vacc.

No need to pay £5 each for the vaccine. We will all be paying for this for years to come. We will soon see the economic hit that the average person will have to pay back whilst the worlds richest people have added considerably to their ridiculous fortunes throughout this.

Edited by JF
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, kick it off said:

Absolutely agree but I do struggle with this, only in so much as NHS England has been doling out contracts to Boris' mates and Tory backers who have zero experience in PPE etc. I don't want to line the pockets of those shyster bastards.

I went to hospital for something a few months ago (embarrassingly, got something stuck down my ear). They gave me drops as it was showing signs of becoming infected due to the foreign body.

They just handed me the medicine rather than a prescription, I said "how do I pay", they told me I get an SMS invoice with a link to pay.... it never came. 

They don't want to handle cash or payment terminals etc at the moment. We'll all pay for it in tax rises anyway.

1 minute ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

Bit drastic Wbb, but that would cut down on the amount of vaccines we'd need I suppose. Every cloud

Not well worded that lol

Of course personally I would vaccinate them lol

2 minutes ago, Well b back said:

We are doing a good job, just Johnson has over promised. This is a race the ‘ world ‘ needs to win, it’s not a battle against each other.

India have today approved 2 vaccines ( one of them Oxford AstraZeneca and an Indian one ), and the Serum Institute will be supplying 60% of the world, in 2 months they will be producing 300 million doses a month and increasing.

Over promise and under deliver are about the only things we can rely on him to do

6 minutes ago, kirku said:

image.thumb.png.43f74668f7d9c24d02ebdb8c015756c0.png

Like that?

The government was seemingly obsessed with giving us an "Australia style" immigration system, mooted an "Australia style" no deal Brexit, I wish they'd tried an Australia style covid response..

Yes, like that.... only my source lists every country in the world, and displays deaths per 1 million.

Belgium 1691

Italy 1247

UK 1102

USA 1083

France 995

Netherlands 667

Germany 418

In terms of our developed neighbours of substantial size, we would be looking at Germany and Netherlands and asking what they have done. I'd be far angrier if I were a Belgian though, living next door to the Netherlands. Not sure what the explanation is for their figures? 

The USA will overtake us very soon, probably within the next couple of weeks. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

2 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

Boris saying on Andrew Marr this morning that tougher restrictions may well have to be taken.

Keir Starmer this afternoon calling for a national lockdown within 24 hours.

The Boxing Board of Control stopping all boxing in January.

Join the dots up chaps as it is starting to look like yesterday may well have been our last game for a while.

Jesus f***ing christ.

The people who come here for an escape from the sh!tshow that is our current society, maybe to get a dose of just 'football' are completely out of luck arent they?

Why? Why pretend this was EVER about football just to get your post seen????

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, South Sider said:

Jesus f***ing christ.

The people who come here for an escape from the sh!tshow that is our current society, maybe to get a dose of just 'football' are completely out of luck arent they?

Or you could have just not bothered clicking on the thread as it was very clear what it was about...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, vos said:

If the virus is so serious can anyone explain why most of our modern clean surgeries have been closed over the weekend for two days. There have been plenty of volunteers with previous vaccination experience who would have been quite willing to assist. Numerous people would have been quite happy to deal with admin parking etc. Quiet two days for car owners to bring in the elderly. (OK some slight risk in this). We need to get a grip sooner rather than later. To help NHS I see no reason why everyone should not pay a fiver for the vacc.

I can unfortunately it’s red tape. 10’s of thousands have come forward and today they finally agreed to get rid of the bureaucracy.

Unfortunately as well a minister for vaccinations was appointed and we announced they were doing it themselves, when it should have been handed to the military and the NHS ( think they have a bit more experience ).

We currently seem to have 3 million Pfizer doses in freezers instead of arms, and last week the suppliers were being blamed. AstraZeneca and Pfizer issued a joint statement denying this.

I should state at this point we are doing really well, in fact where we expected to be, I just have no idea why he decided to say 6 million will be vaccinated by now and we would be normal by end of March. Those that followed the vaccine development always assumed it would be the summer - amazing result from where we were a year ago.

3 minutes ago, South Sider said:

Jesus f***ing christ.

616FF8A2-E3EA-46B1-A6D2-8C5BDE2FEBA9.jpeg.ae3a97482c6208078981755ec068fb3a.jpegI agree

the time has come

Millions of people in this country will be waking up tomorrow to go to a place of work or school/college/university etc

....whilst that remains the case any talk of a 'lockdown' is pretty weak

Edited by GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

Personally I don’t think that Football will stop this time around as there is mass testing in place and it’s as safe as it can possibly be, that’s just my opinion though but conveniently it’s now “on topic”...

19 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I went to hospital for something a few months ago (embarrassingly, got something stuck down my ear). They gave me drops as it was showing signs of becoming infected due to the foreign body.

They just handed me the medicine rather than a prescription, I said "how do I pay", they told me I get an SMS invoice with a link to pay.... it never came. 

They don't want to handle cash or payment terminals etc at the moment. We'll all pay for it in tax rises anyway.

How did you pay in the end? Who did you have to contact?

16 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Yes, like that.... only my source lists every country in the world, and displays deaths per 1 million.

Belgium 1691

Italy 1247

UK 1102

USA 1083

France 995

Netherlands 667

Germany 418

In terms of our developed neighbours of substantial size, we would be looking at Germany and Netherlands and asking what they have done. I'd be far angrier if I were a Belgian though, living next door to the Netherlands. Not sure what the explanation is for their figures? 

The FT is a great source for this. Numbers above are cumulative deaths per 100k based on countries/blocs I chose.

No idea why Belgium has done so badly, I think I remember reading something about them having major problems with their care homes but I might've misremembered that.

As for the US overtaking us, I'd be surprised because our current infection rate is simply awful.

22 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Belgium 1691

Italy 1247

UK 1102

USA 1083

France 995

Netherlands 667

Germany 418

Except Germany has now overtaken us in the second wave. It's very odd, & suggests to me we have a long way to go in understanding how the virus works.

image.thumb.png.4fa4d1ca33bc5ac8f2b9620f18c6e7dc.png 

image.png

1 hour ago, kick it off said:

No tier 38 is where you're not allowed inside your own house. You must remain in the garden. Breathing is permitted, but only through a straw.,

So many u-turns and rule changes, I can't keep up! 

42 minutes ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

How did you pay in the end? Who did you have to contact?

I never heard anything, I didn't pay! 

They checked my mobile number, it was correct, they said I'd get an SMS at some point to pay, never did.

Perhaps I'll still get it one day and they have millions of process? 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

31 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

Except Germany has now overtaken us in the second wave. It's very odd, & suggests to me we have a long way to go in understanding how the virus works.

image.thumb.png.4fa4d1ca33bc5ac8f2b9620f18c6e7dc.png 

image.png

The data me and Kirku is discussing is deaths per 100k or 1m population.

Those graphs are overall deaths, but Germany's population is 25% larger. So if we had 750 deaths in a day, Germany would need to have 1000 that day to have the same death rate (roughly, its actually slightly more).

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Like 1

Are we counting the same as elsewhere though. This has always been a question. All of UK deaths I am led to believe have Covid 19 mentioned on the death certificate. It alone may not have been the cause of death. So if someone unfortunately passes away with cancer or heart failure and Covid 19 is mentioned even as a additional illness then Covid 19 is counted amongst the figures. I am of the thought that we should lockdown however until everyone gets vaccinated. Once you have had the first dose then carry a card to say you are reasonably safe to be out and about and once you have received the 2nd dose do the same. Draconian probably but desperate times and all that.

We also haven't had the inevitable surge in super covid deaths yet. Expect our number to be double that by the start of Feb...

57 minutes ago, kirku said:

No idea why Belgium has done so badly, I think I remember reading something about them having major problems with their care homes

Remember reading they have the most generous (most severe on themselves) definition of a death from Covid.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

They probably had such a good laugh about this bloke who came in with something stuck in his ear that they didn’t have the heart to send him the bill 😀

I went to hospital for something a few months ago (embarrassingly, got something stuck down my ear).

I feel we need the details of this story.

If it makes you feel any better, I once had to spend a Saturday accompanying my brother to the Ear, Nose and Throat clinic because he had slept with a pencil up his nostril and when he pulled it out in the morning, the eraser had broken off. He was about 5 at the time though to be fair.

53 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

The data me and Kirku is discussing is deaths per 100k or 1m population.

Those graphs are overall deaths, but Germany's population is 25% larger. So if we had 750 deaths in a day, Germany would need to have 1000 that day to have the same death rate (roughly, its actually slightly more).

Actually no. 25% of 750 is about 188, so that makes 938 ( Also Germany's population is slightly less than 25% above the UK).

Nevertheless it's close to parity recently, & I don't understand why that should be after the huge disparity during the first wave. 

Edited by ron obvious

18 minutes ago, kick it off said:

I feel we need the details of this story.

If it makes you feel any better, I once had to spend a Saturday accompanying my brother to the Ear, Nose and Throat clinic because he had slept with a pencil up his nostril and when he pulled it out in the morning, the eraser had broken off. He was about 5 at the time though to be fair.

I can confirm that it was a Bic pen cap, I had an itch... it was attached to the pen, then it wasn't, then attempting to pull it out by hand hurt a lot.

Fortunately just minor abrasion to a wall in the middle ear and no perforation to ear drum. 

I'm an adult with kids, and wasn't even drunk. 

Not my proudest moment, the doctor who removed it wasn't fazed so had obviously seen it all. Or had perfected remaining professional. Perhaps they'd had a hoover nozzle stuck on a dong the night before and my case seemed reasonable by comparison. 

At least I was only 6 when I went to A&E for the coin stuck up my nose. 

Preparing myself for months of people reminding me of this to score points in an argument. Doesn't even rank in my top 10 most embarrassing moments, but at least most of the rest occurred as a result of drink or party drugs and happened when I could use the young, dumb and full of c-u-m excuse. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

They probably had such a good laugh about this bloke who came in with something stuck in his ear that they didn’t have the heart to send him the bill 😀

That's a distinct possibility. See my story above. 

11 minutes ago, ron obvious said:

Actually no. 25% of 750 is about 188, so that makes 938 ( Also Germany's population is slightly less than 25% above the UK).

Nevertheless it's close to parity recently, & I don't understand why that should be after the huge disparity during the first wave. 

We'll see....their deaths per 1 million since the start of covid-19 is fewer than half of ours.

Without wanting to make it a competition (which would be a bit morbid), its probably wise to consider overall cases and overall deaths at its conclusion... Sweden, for example, suddenly not looking like a good poster boy for the anti-lockdown crowd after initially impressive stats! 

2 hours ago, South Sider said:

Jesus f***ing christ.

Your posting history tells a tale of an angry individual moaning and groaning about either thread topics or the poster that started them. Whatever floats your boat i suppose.

3 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

We all play night time games we regret once and a while.Hope your better now. 

Perhaps they'd had a hoover nozzle stuck on a dong the night before and my case seemed reasonable by comparison. 

Crikey! We must have missed each other by a matter of hours 😂

• Haha 3