stewfil

Southampton "may" release Angus Gunn

How much did Southampton pay for him? 12 or 15 million or something? And they’re willing to just release him? That doesn’t sound good.

I understand the interest, but has he become the Alex Pritchard of goalkeepers? I guess there’s still plenty of time for him to kick on though, and he did look pretty good when he was here in fairness.

Edited by Alex Moss
  • Confused 1

Just had a look and it doesn’t look like they may ‘release’ him - a loan or purchase on the other hand, with Stoke City still favourites to sign him. Though Hassenhuttl has said it’s between him and Fraser Forster which goalkeeper moves on. 

Bringing either Gunn or Forster back seems like a no-brainer really if the finances are reasonable - We need cover for, and potentially a long term successor to, Krul as McGovern is nowhere near Championship standard and surely won't be given a new contract next season. Both Gunn and Forster had good spells here, have plenty of talent but have found themselves stuck down the pecking order in the top flight, and were popular with our fans, and neither would likely be commanding huge wages. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, andyc24_uk said:

Bringing either Gunn or Forster back seems like a no-brainer really if the finances are reasonable - We need cover for, and potentially a long term successor to, Krul as McGovern is nowhere near Championship standard and surely won't be given a new contract next season. Both Gunn and Forster had good spells here, have plenty of talent but have found themselves stuck down the pecking order in the top flight, and were popular with our fans, and neither would likely be commanding huge wages. 

While I don't often like to see players come back, I would be happy with either of those two doing so. Can't see either of them coming in as backup to Krul in the champs though. Both of them are at a stage in their career where they need to play and unless Krul is to leave, I can't see either of them moving here. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, seanthecanary said:

While I don't often like to see players come back, I would be happy with either of those two doing so. Can't see either of them coming in as backup to Krul in the champs though. Both of them are at a stage in their career where they need to play and unless Krul is to leave, I can't see either of them moving here. 

Yep, I’d be happy to see Gunn in particular come back, but I can’t see it - Stoke look favourites with Butland going the other way. Think it would be a bit of a sideways move for Angus at this stage of his career. 

2 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

How much did Southampton pay for him? 12 or 15 million or something? And they’re willing to just release him? That doesn’t sound good.

I understand the interest, but has he become the Alex Pritchard of goalkeepers? I guess there’s still plenty of time for him to kick on though, and he did look pretty good when he was here in fairness.

I'd say its harsh to tar him with the Pritchard brush, and he genuinely seemed to enjoy playing here. Pritchard jumped at the first opportunity a PL club came in, didn't seem to matter who it was.

They both used Norwich as a stepping stone, but Gunn did it the 'right' way.

Showing what he can do on loan at Norwich so he could get a move away from Man City where he was never really going to get first team action. Then a club came in with £12+m and we were never in that market.

Can't blame him for wanting to make that move.

Still only 24, could reignite his career early, good goalkeeper.

Edited by Flying Dutchman

2 hours ago, andyc24_uk said:

Bringing either Gunn or Forster back seems like a no-brainer really if the finances are reasonable - We need cover for, and potentially a long term successor to, Krul 

Forster is the same age as Krul. Krul’s only 32, he’s got a few years left in him yet as a keeper, and I’m not sure either of those two comes in as a number 2 (and are probably too expensive to sit on the bench).

Gunn for me was a bit overrated here. Thought he made a few mistakes - got beat at his front post a few too many times for instance. Hasn’t played all that much footy since leaving us. I’d imagine there are equally good options for less money.

4 minutes ago, Aggy said:

Forster is the same age as Krul. Krul’s only 32, he’s got a few years left in him yet as a keeper, and I’m not sure either of those two comes in as a number 2 (and are probably too expensive to sit on the bench).

Gunn for me was a bit overrated here. Thought he made a few mistakes - got beat at his front post a few too many times for instance. Hasn’t played all that much footy since leaving us. I’d imagine there are equally good options for less money.

In fairness, Krul has also been guilty of that too many times, especially when we won the Championship.  Admittedly not so much last year

Edited by seanthecanary

I can't see any downsides to get Angus Gunn back if we could afford him and it is a permanent signing. What's not to like.

Surely he won't come on loan to be number two, although with his love for the club and how he is with Webber and farke, he may fancy the chance to be somewhere he is loved, where he is trusted and to try get back on track. Krul is number one but Gunn may fancy the challenge, and what a replacement should krul get injuries.

It is quite amazing how he has gone from being at Man City, tipped as future England goalkeeper, Multi million move to Southampton but is now potentially being released.

Perhaps he could give Cantwell a call and let him know how quickly things can change!

3 hours ago, andyc24_uk said:

McGovern is nowhere near Championship standard and surely won't be given a new contract next season.

Honestly what is this opinion based on? McGovern has been a model pro for this club happily sitting as second fiddle and never looking poor IMO when called upon. He’s also got a good influence in the dressing room by all accounts. 

When we got him it was a bit of a coup as he’d been excellent for NI in the Euros. He’s only 36, he could have 3 or 4 more years in him.

IMO opinion Championship backup/Premuer League no. 3 is exactly his level and he’s been a good servant to the club.

• Like 1

I honestly feel that Angus Gunn has had his career ruined by being hyped so much. Ok, he's had big monrey transfers and been at Man City, but to end up as a non starter at a club is a waste of his talent. I do hope he gets the transfer he needs - but not back to us where he would likekly be on the bench, given Krul's resurgence and form. 

Good luck to him wherever he goes, maybe he'll come back to Norwich at some stage in his career, but in the meantime we have King Krul and if we need another back up goalie, we'll get on.....and we may go with what we've got - McGovern is a good back up - and didn't Barden do pretty well when he had the opportunity? Barden may be young, but Leeds played the other day with Meslier in goal who is only 19 - if you're good enough you're old enough.

Edited by lake district canary

2 hours ago, Flying Dutchman said:

I'd say its harsh to tar him with the Pritchard brush, and he genuinely seemed to enjoy playing here. Pritchard jumped at the first opportunity a PL club came in, didn't seem to matter who it was.

They both used Norwich as a stepping stone, but Gunn did it the 'right' way.

Showing what he can do on loan at Norwich so he could get a move away from Man City where he was never really going to get first team action. Then a club came in with £12+m and we were never in that market.

Can't blame him for wanting to make that move.

Still only 24, could reignite his career early, good goalkeeper.

I didn’t mean the Pritchard comparison negatively like that, Dutchman - nothing to do with him wanting to leave us or anything (he was on loan anyway). So nothing harsh at all.

My question was has this very promising young player regressed and not turned out to be as good as we all hoped? BUT... he is a keeper... and they often blossom later in their career in fairness. So I still think he could go on to good things. I certainly wouldn’t be adverse to him coming back, for one he’s pretty decent with the ball at his feet and that quality is not only apparently desired by Farke but by modern football managers in general these days.

Edited by Alex Moss
Added text
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, rock bus said:

It is quite amazing how he has gone from being at Man City, tipped as future England goalkeeper, Multi million move to Southampton but is now potentially being released.

Perhaps he could give Cantwell a call and let him know how quickly things can change!

Doesnt matter whos tipped to be the next England keeper as regardless of how awful Pickford does Southgates starting him.

That and Pope and Henderson exist, so even if Gunn was looking good and got a call up to England I very much doubt he would make the bench nevermind start

It's certainly going to be an intense compressed season in the Championship and capable competitive cover in all positions in my opinion is an absolute necessity.....If Angus wanted to be part of our squad I would have him here.....

7 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

Just had a look and it doesn’t look like they may ‘release’ him - a loan or purchase on the other hand, with Stoke City still favourites to sign him. Though Hassenhuttl has said it’s between him and Fraser Forster which goalkeeper moves on. 

This is quite interesting - if they get Gunn, we can go back after Butland and resurrect his career.

3 hours ago, lake district canary said:

I honestly feel that Angus Gunn has had his career ruined by being hyped so much. Ok, he's had big monrey transfers and been at Man City, but to end up as a non starter at a club is a waste of his talent. I do hope he gets the transfer he needs - but not back to us where he would likekly be on the bench, given Krul's resurgence and form. 

Good luck to him wherever he goes, maybe he'll come back to Norwich at some stage in his career, but in the meantime we have King Krul and if we need another back up goalie, we'll get on.....and we may go with what we've got - McGovern is a good back up - and didn't Barden do pretty well when he had the opportunity? Barden may be young, but Leeds played the other day with Meslier in goal who is only 19 - if you're good enough you're old enough.

It seems that young goalkeepers quite often have a few poor years or get burned out early - I remember Mervyn Day from the 1970s and there are several other examples. Even Joe Hart kind of falls into this category. It's hard to remember anyone who has truly excelled at a very young age as a keeper and who is still excelling at 32. 

If Gunn could buy into a long-term project he'd be a perfect back-up to Krul now and potential number one for many years in the future.

28 minutes ago, Matt Juler said:

If Gunn could buy into a long-term project he'd be a perfect back-up to Krul now and potential number one for many years in the future.

May be, but isn't that virtually writing off the young 'keepers we have  on our books at the moment? Oxborough and Mair, if my memory serves me correctly.

McGovern is not quite as bad as some make out, and just right as a back-up in the Chumps. He is also valuable as a mentor for the younsters apparently, especially the young goalkeeper prospects.

Not disagreeing with you, but there are other things to consider.

I still think of Hansbury, a fine keeper, when he got his chance it all fell away; toughest position on the park.