A Load of Squit

New Tory Leader

6 minutes ago, Essjayess said:

Your reply does have some merit, others im sure will point out that the FPTP system has served the nation well for generation after generation..but perhaps that is a topic all by itself and not one concentrating on the present Government and its leadership.

We've only had universal suffrage since 1928 so its not as though our current FPTP has long deep history. More recently we've seen how easily it can be corrupted with social media and fake news as in the USA and sadly elsewhere.

It really does need modernizing.

welcome to perpetual rightwing Governments. Pound dropped when May E Truss spoke at 2.30 pm and a minister with no previous in finance, with plenty of experience in cutting services in the NHS, took over.

Many angry Tory MP's fear to loose their jobs if there is a GE, alternatively they could cross the floor of the House into a new right wing nest prepared for them by Starmer, with 14 MP's already being Independent, he might want to rid Labour of some more leftwing candidates.

Starmer is not removing anyone who peddles right wing abuse as we can see from the lack of actions against Mc.Ternan and Rachel Reeves.

Enjoy some great writing from Craig.

https://www.craigmurray.org.uk/archives/2022/10/the-great-crossing/

Nice one Liz.

Based on rumours the markets begin a bit of a recovery, with even gilts pulling back .5%. Then Liz speaks, promising to stick to her plans. Unsurprising then Gilts not only back up beyond where they started on their recovery, the FTSE drops 100 points and all the pound gains wiped out in seconds.

Bet a few of you wish you’d had a cheeky fiver on Liz to not last the year as tipped at 33/1, price now 1/3.

In other betting next PM Sunak 13/8 Hunt 5/1 Our Penny 11/2 and Boris 10/1.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Nice one Liz.

Based on rumours the markets begin a bit of a recovery, with even gilts pulling back .5%. Then Liz speaks, promising to stick to her plans. Unsurprising then Gilts not only back up beyond where they started on their recovery, the FTSE drops 100 points and all the pound gains wiped out in seconds.

Bet a few of you wish you’d had a cheeky fiver on Liz to not last the year as tipped at 33/1, price now 1/3.

In other betting next PM Sunak 13/8 Hunt 5/1 Our Penny 11/2 and Boris 10/1.

It's the Tory Grand National all over again. Happens quarterly at present.

What they all don't realize is that they're all headed to the knacker's yard.

1 minute ago, Yellow Fever said:

It's the Tory Grand National all over again. Happens quarterly at present.

What they all don't realize is that they're all headed to the knacker's yard.

Maybe it’s like retired greyhounds and SKK could adopt a retired PM.

• Haha 1

Hunt has announced his first action as Chancellor. He's sent one of his lackeys out to invest in a million lottery tickets.

Farage is clearly s****** himself that we might be looking at some sort of EU love in as he says he has been betrayed by The Conservative party - A bit like you did to the U.K. then Nige ?

• Like 2

Will she survive the night in number 10. There are calls ( including from Tory MPS ) to recall parliament tomorrow. These are some Tory reactions.

Senior backbencher questions Kwarteng sacking

Liz Truss's sacking of Kwasi Kwarteng has been publicly questioned by one Tory backbencher who asks why she dismissed the chancellor for implementing her own policies.

Sir Roger Gale tweeted: "Hard to understand why the prime minister has sacked her chancellor - a good man - for promoting the policies upon which she was elected. 

"Good, though, that in Jeremy Hunt there will be an experienced pair of hands on the financial tiller."

Tory MPs unhappy with Truss's performance at news conference

We've been gauging reaction from Conservative circles to Liz Truss's news conference and it has has been largely negative.

One backbencher told the BBC: "I voted for Liz but I think she just appointed her successor [Jeremy Hunt]. Awful. Sadly I think that hastened her demise."

A former cabinet minister described the news conference as "awful. That did not look like a woman fighting back. There's not much reason for optimism." 

Another former minister said: “I can’t see how she survives. It was her policy." 

An MP first elected in 2019 added: “She can’t sack a chancellor and pretend she had nothing to do with it. She trashed our reputation, she’s the captain, the sinking ship is hers."

More negative Tory reaction to Truss news conference

More Tory MPs have been reacting to Liz Truss's news conference, off the record. 

A former minister describes it as "a car crash - don't think she can survive this". 

Another MP says: "It was just bizarre. I don't know where we go from here. It's dreadful. The great and good of the party need to tell her to go." 

A backbencher who supported her for the leadership and liked her mini-budget says they are “very disappointed… She’s under quite a threat and I don’t think today would have helped... She doesn’t have the presentational skills, she’s quite wooden.”

Another MP: "Not a convincing performance."

14 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Will she survive the night in number 10. There are calls ( including from Tory MPS ) to recall parliament tomorrow. These are some Tory reactions.

Senior backbencher questions Kwarteng sacking

Liz Truss's sacking of Kwasi Kwarteng has been publicly questioned by one Tory backbencher who asks why she dismissed the chancellor for implementing her own policies.

Sir Roger Gale tweeted: "Hard to understand why the prime minister has sacked her chancellor - a good man - for promoting the policies upon which she was elected. 

"Good, though, that in Jeremy Hunt there will be an experienced pair of hands on the financial tiller."

Tory MPs unhappy with Truss's performance at news conference

We've been gauging reaction from Conservative circles to Liz Truss's news conference and it has has been largely negative.

One backbencher told the BBC: "I voted for Liz but I think she just appointed her successor [Jeremy Hunt]. Awful. Sadly I think that hastened her demise."

A former cabinet minister described the news conference as "awful. That did not look like a woman fighting back. There's not much reason for optimism." 

Another former minister said: “I can’t see how she survives. It was her policy." 

An MP first elected in 2019 added: “She can’t sack a chancellor and pretend she had nothing to do with it. She trashed our reputation, she’s the captain, the sinking ship is hers."

More negative Tory reaction to Truss news conference

More Tory MPs have been reacting to Liz Truss's news conference, off the record. 

A former minister describes it as "a car crash - don't think she can survive this". 

Another MP says: "It was just bizarre. I don't know where we go from here. It's dreadful. The great and good of the party need to tell her to go." 

A backbencher who supported her for the leadership and liked her mini-budget says they are “very disappointed… She’s under quite a threat and I don’t think today would have helped... She doesn’t have the presentational skills, she’s quite wooden.”

Another MP: "Not a convincing performance."

The bit in red I really don't get. It has been clear for a very long time that she had poor skills, both verbally and manually. These people can't act all surprised now.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Herman said:

The bit in red I really don't get. It has been clear for a very long time that she had poor skills, both verbally and manually. These people can't act all surprised now.

Nothing is ever their fault. "I didn't vote for this type of Brexit". "I didn't vote for more austerity" "I didn't think she meant she was going ahead with it"

They will crawl around Westminster and in their constituencies this weekend pretending that if only, if only and if only.

I watched a know al for HSBC telling the world why it was important to the "markets" and his customers that the Government now do things that put him and his ilk first. He sat there with a Grand Piano in his lounge. Just fcuk off.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ricardo said:

What a year. All together now to the tune of On the first day of Xmas.

4 Chancellor's of the Exchequer 🎶🎶

Nearly 3 Prime ministers🎶🎶

2 British Monarchs🎶🎶

and Kwasi in the Khasiii🎶🎶🎶

In effect it is already three PMs, because until she gets kicked out herself, while Truss still has the title, it is going to be Hunt who is in charge.

Just listened to her speech.

Let me be frank - I've written/edited the odd ministerial speech in my time (even for this lot).

There is a phrase you just NEVER use - especially if it will be translated into foreign languages.

"Let me be honest...." or "'Being honest with you..." as Truss used.

The implication is that you aren't always honest, may usually tell a lie and so on.

The better phrase is "Let me be frank..."

Its speech writing class 101 for me from the 1980s. Pure amateurism to get it wrong. Now if it had been Johnson him being honest might of been a change 😉.

Edited by Yellow Fever
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Interesting choice in Jeremy Hunt who's been out in the cold for a bit. A ****(ask the NHS) who at least seens half competent

Maybe it's an attempt to rubbish him since the ship is sinking

Good for the Government...propping up the removals industry. Although you have to feel for Kwasi...all those paint and wallpaper samples gone to waste. 🤣

Apples

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Essjayess said:

Your reply does have some merit, others im sure will point out that the FPTP system has served the nation well for generation after generation..but perhaps that is a topic all by itself and not one concentrating on the present Government and its leadership.

@TheGunnShow was spot on about the damaging effects of our electoral system  and the idea that the FPTP system has served the nation well for generation after generation is absolutely ridiculous.

IMO FPTP has never served this country well (perhaps the 1945 GE is the exception that proves the rule) and for decades the trend has been for it to perform progressively less and less well.

Other than the Attlee government of 1945 (and perhaps Tony Blair's early years) the general quality of governance in the UK has been pretty dire whichever party has been in power. Of course there could be many reasons for that but FPTP seems to be a prime culprit (to me) especially when you consider our progress, or lack of it, as a nation relative to our European neighbours who almost all were in very much poorer shape at the end of the war than we were, yet in so many ways, both economically and socially, have made much better progress and overtaken us. Better governance has to be a part of that and not one them uses FPTP.

Edited by Creative Midfielder
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Creative Midfielder said:

Very close indeed but surely Truss herself is the "most talentless piece of **** ever to be in the Cabinet", and all the senior Ministers she appointed to her Cabinet are strong contenders to be be included in the worst 10 ever.

Yes you are right. Speaking as someone who doesn't have a huge political preference either way this woman is a complete b1tch. Make no mistake the initial aim was tax cuts for the rich paid by benefits cuts by the poor. What she and her cabinet didn't predict was the reaction from the markets which now plummet the UK billions further in debt and the growth plan in tatters.

I cannot comprehend what a shambles this is. Starmer needs to be pushing for an immediate GE.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Essjayess said:

That's the thing though, it hasn't and the weaknesses of FPTP become ever more apparent over time. I could write a heck of a lot at this juncture but leaving the proportionality issue aside, the biggest problem is the end game. A potential third party will always weaken the party that is closer to it ideologically as it will take more votes from it - and this is to the electoral benefit of the party more opposed to it.

It's an oversimplification, but it can be summed up thus: the more tactical voting there is, the less an election reflects the needs and wants of a populace in said election, and it's more a reflection of what an increasing proportion of said populace DON'T want. Sure, there will always be those who are largely very content with their position within the two main parties (but even then, you're seeing plenty of infighting in public right now!) but you'll probably find they become fewer and fewer.

On 13/10/2022 at 22:17, Yellow Fever said:

Truss - 

Was out for few hours there -

Question looking at tonight's news is can she even survive tomorrow. 50/50 ?

I wonder if she will last much past this weekend? Or next week perhaps.

There was an interesting poll about her chances of lasting out 2022 as PM:

IMG_20221015_091147.jpg

IMG_20220917_171923.jpg

Edited by sonyc
  • Haha 2

Who wants to be Chancellor during the football? The 3pm to 5pm slot is still available. Anyone?

• Haha 4

Well Hunt's in as Chancellor - a good move - a sold Remainer whose feet are at least on the ground telling it how it is this morning.

One Request.

Please Hunt, target your tax hikes and benefit cuts at the typical feckless Tory members who got us all into this mess. After-all I thought it was Tory mantra to take responsibility for your actions. Maybe a short sharp shock will waken some of them into the real world.

Edited by Yellow Fever
Even Hunt used the phrase 'being honest' this morning. Standards do fall it seems.
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Herman said:

Who wants to be Chancellor during the football? The 3pm to 5pm slot is still available. Anyone?

It is like musical chairs isn't it? So many coming in, leaving, returning....(you'll have seen this?...gave me a smile and a degree of melancholy and feeling wistful about the loss of the great Zahawi. We never really got to see what he could do😟).

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Herman said:

The Rugby League WC is on so I'm unavailable. Also Mrs KG arrives back from NZ on the 14.43 to Redruth so I will be unpacking all my gifts.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Which direction are we actually facing at the moment. If you do two u turns you end up facing the same direction. Does anyone know? Its like watching a NASCAR race. Nobody knows who is in front.

So taxes are about to rise so people will apparently have less money in their pockets. Because they told us tax cuts would mean we had more.

2 minutes ago, sonyc said:

It is like musical chairs isn't it? So many coming in, leaving, returning....(you'll have seen this?...gave me a smile and a degree of melancholy and feeling wistful about the loss of the great Zahawi. We never really got to see what he could do😟).

If she lasts as long as December perhaps we can have a child's advent calendar and look every morning to see whose behind the doors.

Might make a fortune commercializing that 😉

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

If she lasts as long as December perhaps we can have a child's advent calendar and look every morning to see whose behind the doors.

Might make a fortune commercializing that 😉

Or a toy wack a mole ?

Think of all the characters....

Truss is lucky HM Queen (RIP) passed away and the Gov't effectively had to shut up shop, otherwise she'd probably be gone by now.

A Gov't is in effective when it does nothing, but in this case it's wishful thinking. I wonder what addition to the shambles we'll have next week.