A Load of Squit

New Tory Leader

1 minute ago, ricardo said:

You are probably right, a Starmer government will be more left wing Conservative than anything radical.

From your exchanges with YF and others I can only conclude that if Labour wins it will soon resume its favourite pastime. Internal warfare.

Think the Tories are having a quite splendid case of that .... just about now.

7 minutes ago, horsefly said:

Oh dear! After the Labour conference Labour were already at least 16 points ahead. Quite remarkable margin especially after sustaining a record defeat in 2019. But that's so simple it shouldn't even need saying.

Erm, you do know the salient dates here, don't you? Google is your friend (though I prefer Ecosia), check out the date of the mini-budget and then the dates of the Labour Conference that no one really paid any attention to because of the former.

Oh dear indeed.

Edited by canarydan23

5 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

You can kid yourself that isn't the case if you wish, and by all means enjoy it if it means it increases your chances of experiencing a "win" at the next general election. But I'll reiterate, for the people who need radical policies to improve their current grim prospects or for the people who long for a modern, fair and properly democratic political system, these latest numbers and the prospect of a Starmer premiership are of little cause for excitement. More of a case of plus ca change...

How trite and boring! I've heard that from the far left all my life. They always prefer ideological purity in preference to actual power and the threat of actually having to do something to improve the lot of ordinary people. Blair and Brown may not have been as radical as many of us would have liked but they both pumped huge amounts of money into NHS, education, and the alleviation of poverty. As for those people you talk of who need their grim prospects relieved; they are the same people who voted for johnson in preference to Corbyn (or have you never heard of the Red Wall?).

5 minutes ago, ricardo said:

You are probably right, a Starmer government will be more left wing Conservative than anything radical.

From your exchanges with YF and others I can only conclude that if Labour wins it will soon resume its favourite pastime. Internal warfare.

No internal warfare here. I left shortly after it became apparent that what I voted for in the leadership election was a steaming pile of bullsh*t. Man of integrity though!

2 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

No internal warfare here. I left shortly after it became apparent that what I voted for in the leadership election was a steaming pile of bullsh*t. Man of integrity though!

Pleased to hear you left. feel free to take more of your kind with you.

7 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Erm, you do know the salient dates here, don't you? Google is your friend (though I prefer Ecosia), check out the date of the mini-budget and then the dates of the Labour Conference that no one really paid any attention to because of the former.

Oh dear indeed.

I do apologise. I meant to say labour were 16 points ahead before the conference. After the conference they were over 30 points ahead.

4 minutes ago, horsefly said:

I do apologise. I meant to say labour were 16 points ahead before the conference. After the conference they were over 30 points ahead.

Have a look at Starmer's personal approval ratings at the same time, you might be intrigued.

12 minutes ago, horsefly said:

As for those people you talk of who need their grim prospects relieved; they are the same people who voted for johnson in preference to Corbyn (or have you never heard of the Red Wall?)

It's highly amusing that this is probably your dozenth recent mention of Corbyn, yet I'm apparently part of a dedicated Corbynite mob or a Corbynite loyalist or some other fantastic label you seem peculiarly desperate to erroneously attach to me. I think I mentioned him just once in this thread and in doing so said he was an awful leader. Remind me again who it is that needs to let go?

2 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

It's highly amusing that this is probably your dozenth recent mention of Corbyn, yet I'm apparently part of a dedicated Corbynite mob or a Corbynite loyalist or some other fantastic label you seem peculiarly desperate to erroneously attach to me. I think I mentioned him just once in this thread and in doing so said he was an awful leader. Remind me again who it is that needs to let go?

And yet again you can't read simple English. I did not say you were a Corbyn fan so do stop lying. I merely pointed out the truth that your views are to the far left, and you SHARE exactly the same view of Starmer that Corbynites have. Do pay attention to the words I actually use. I do hope Starmer's success doesn't continue to cause you too much pain, you just need to let go and accept that the labour Party has become electable again.

Just now, horsefly said:

And yet again you can't read simple English. I did not say you were a Corbyn fan so do stop lying. I merely pointed out the truth that your views are to the far left, and you SHARE exactly the same view of Starmer that Corbynites have. Do pay attention to the words I actually use. I do hope Starmer's success doesn't continue to cause you too much pain, you just need to let go and accept that the labour Party has become electable again.

Which views of mine are to the "far left" then?!

I know it's Friday old boy, but at least wait until after lunch before cracking open the tinnies. 

3 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Which views of mine are to the "far left" then?!

I know it's Friday old boy, but at least wait until after lunch before cracking open the tinnies. 

Unlike you I leave the meths until the afternoon.

1 minute ago, horsefly said:

Unlike you I leave the meths until the afternoon.

So no answer to the question then. I'm not really surprised.

Have a good weekend!

1 minute ago, canarydan23 said:

So no answer to the question then. I'm not really surprised.

Have a good weekend!

Try asking something interesting for a change. I'll have a fine weekend taking in the polls. I guess you will be in tears.

Just now, horsefly said:

Try asking something interesting for a change. I'll have a fine weekend taking in the polls. I guess you will be in tears.

"fine weekend taking in the polls".

Cool. Don't have too much fun!

Just now, canarydan23 said:

"fine weekend taking in the polls".

Cool. Don't have too much fun!

Wow! Comic genius!!!

38 minutes ago, ricardo said:

35 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Think the Tories are having a quite splendid case of that .... just about now.

I'm not Labour though Ricardo - voted all ways at different times and in different scenarios. However I can agree that the Corbynite wing of Labour can be their biggest detractors (I saw CD23 used the tory handle Captain Hindsight for SKS - I could almost believe he's a Tory special agent 😉 ) but in contrasts Labour always eventually manages eventually to throw them out/off whereas the ERG has quite successfully parasitized, hollowed out and fully destroyed the Tory party. That's now in a terminal decline.

Separately, What CD23 doesn't seem to grasp is that incumbent parties always lose elections first before oppositions can 'win' as they have so many built-in advantages going into (and indeed calling) an election in the first place to suit themselves. All an opposition can really do is look 'ready for government', competent and trusted. That's exactly what SKS has achieved and why he's 30 plus points ahead.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Yellow Fever said:

That's exactly what SKS has achieved and why he's 30 plus points ahead.

So what's he doing differently now that he wasn't doing throughout 2021? Or was Boris Johnson just doing a better job of looking competent and trusted?!

5 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Kwasi in the Khasi! The most talentless piece of **** ever to be in the Cabinet.

Surely though there are a lot of others - Moggy, Dorries, Truss....

Its a large field to choose from.

1 minute ago, Yellow Fever said:

Surely though there are a lot of others - Moggy, Dorries, Truss....

Its a large field to choose from.

A field full of a lot of sheep

3 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

Starmer is a workaholic who showed political bravery by facing down and effectively side-lining Momentum, and as far as any politician can be seems truthful, as well as appearing steadily competent.

Starmer is perceived to be a barely animated corpse. 

To the already deeply invested he might well be a workaholic capable of a precision take down in PMQs but I very much doubt that is a view shared anywhere that matters in an election 

However, a barely animated corpse is what is needed right now.  The last Labour need at thus time is to lead a mass offensive as everyone knows that the weapons they will choose are all boomerangs .

Edited by Barbe bleu

19 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Think we need revolving doors at both Number 10 and Number 11.

Just leave the present one permanently ajar.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Barbe bleu said:

Starmer is perceived to be a barely animated corpse. 

To the already deeply invested he might well be a workaholic capable of a precision take down in PMQs but I very much doubt that is a view shared anywhere that matters in an election 

However, a barely animated corpse is what is needed right now.  The last Labour need right now is to lead a mass offensive as everyone knows that the weapons they will choose are all boomerangs .

I think that is a very partisan view not held generally. Yes he might not be a larger than life character/chancer aka Johnson or as robotic as May or 'limited/inept'  as Truss but he almost certainly the right man in the right place now.

That said, he will have every opportunity it seems to launch a whole raft of centre (left) policies which will be well liked as per Blair - sort the NHS, Social Care and of course the economy. Play his cards right and I can see 3 or 4 election wins ahead.

2 minutes ago, horsefly said:

Just leave the present one permanently ajar.

A bit like Watford F.C.

I expect big Sam as next C of Ex.

3 minutes ago, ricardo said:

A bit like Watford F.C.

I expect big Sam as next C of Ex.

Not a bad shout. His ethics are a good fit, and he is famed for being able to raise cash from unusual sources.

• Haha 2