A Load of Squit

New Tory Leader

19 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Do they need some cheese to go with their w(h)ine?

Off topic, but where can I buy decent cheese to go with my whining? 

4 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

For all her moaning and whining, she wasn't going to resign. 

I hear Rishi has replied.

Dear Sue, thank you for your service to the country.

Now Fcuk off.

Yours Rishi.

Just now, ricardo said:

Now Fcuk off.

Yours Rishi.

Nevermind all that! Where can I buy decent cheese? 

4 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Now Fcuk off.

Yours Rishi.

Dear Sue,

Plan B. I want you to try out first hand the Rwanda resettlement scheme. See how it work in practice. Prove it's fit for purpose. Ten year trial?

Yours Rishi.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

The do a nice blue cheese out at Binham if you want local.

Edited by ricardo
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

The cheese stall on Norwich Market is always worth a look.

2 hours ago, ricardo said:

Now Fcuk off.

Yours Rishi.

Did he copy and paste his emails to Johnson and Truss ? Just had to replace the dear Sue.

Edited by Well b back

1 minute ago, Nuff Said said:

I love a bit of bara brith. Has to be covered in butter mind.

That stuff's great on its own. Good butter works well, and I'll argue that a small smear of Cooper's Oxford marmalade is great too.

13 hours ago, ricardo said:

The ravings of a spoilt six year old who didn't get the birthday present she was expecting.

I would say she has a face like a slapped **** but then she always did have.

Anyway, in "that went well" news.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Herman said:

Jesus, I wasn't aware that reform had made it to 11%

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NFN FC said:

It really is, "Anyone, but the Tories." 

Wouldn't put too much emphasis on polls right now. Proportion of votes and number of seats aren't always that close, particularly if a third party looks like it could emerge.

Just now, TheGunnShow said:

Wouldn't put too much emphasis on polls right now. Proportion of votes and number of seats aren't always that close, particularly if a third party looks like it could emerge.

That's what the Swingometer is for.

5 minutes ago, KiwiScot said:

That's what the Swingometer is for.

Bob McKensie and his swingometer was considered very high tech in its day.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, NFN FC said:

Splits the right wing neatly in two and with fptp it should get them out of power for a long time, hopefully. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Herman said:

Probably a bit too early for this snap poll -  the Cruella catastrophe is yet to play out.

May be too optimistic for the National Rally Tories especially if they have yet another leadership contest 😉

1 minute ago, Yellow Fever said:

Probably a bit too early for this snap poll -  the Cruella catastrophe is yet to play out.

May be too optimistic for the National Rally Tories especially if they have yet another leadership contest 😉

I just listened with astonishment to a Conservative on 5Live urging MP's to get their letters in. These people are completely detached from reality. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I just listened with astonishment to a Conservative on 5Live urging MP's to get their letters in. These people are completely detached from reality. 

They keep saying the majority of the public support Braverman. My social circles are mainly people that vote Tory ( in normal circumstances ), but I have to say although some agree with her, the vast majority ‘ don’t ‘

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Well b back said:

They keep saying the majority of the public support Braverman. My social circles are mainly people that vote Tory ( in normal circumstances ), but I have to say although some agree with her, the vast majority ‘ don’t ‘

Yes WBB. I think they are just completely washed up and tired. They did a deal with the Populist devil for Brexit which has turned into a really sour poison chalice for them. Life threatening. Their old 'values' of basically self reliance, fiscal responsibility but also with a commitment to the welfare state, NHS etc they've all but forgotten and trashed. Instead it's all 'race' rows, 'tents', immigration and similar base 'dog' whistles. No wonder anybody with a traditional 'one nation' centre-right views is running a mile. They stink.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

Yes WBB. I think they are just completely washed up and tired. They did a deal with the Populist devil for Brexit which has turned into a really sour poison chalice for them. Life threatening. Their old 'values' of basically self reliance, fiscal responsibility but also with a commitment to the welfare state, NHS etc they've all but forgotten and trashed. Instead it's all 'race' rows, 'tents', immigration and similar base 'dog' whistles. No wonder anybody with a traditional 'one nation' centre-right views is running a mile. They stink.

Nailed it - I've said before that they lost me completely when the likes of Grieve, Stewart, Soubry, etc. were basically purged and this more ignorant brand of populism came in.

When a party's reduced to dog-whistles and "culture wars" you just know they've nothing to offer to most people.

EDIT: When they're reduced to kicking down rather than up, you definitely know they've nothing to offer to most people.

Edited by TheGunnShow
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

The really scary thing was I heard Michael Howard on Today on Radio 4 this morning and he sounded rational, sensible and considered compared to the frothing loons currently leading the Tories. I appear to have passed into a parallel universe.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Well b back said:

You only have to look at the polls just above your post. At *most* it’s the 11% who support Reform plus maybe a couple of percent from the right of the Tories who would agree with Cruella. I can only assume it’s just that they are the vocal ones, although from what I saw of the counter-protestors against the march for peace at the weekend, I doubt many of them are literate.

Rwanda - Sounds so far like the government are going down - in flames.

Edited by Yellow Fever
Confirmed.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

They're going to have to invest heavily in more staff and better training to handle the backlog. Number of decisions made per case worker is far lower than it used to be. Could be a matter of lack of training, could also be a matter of more complicated cases.

The UK’s asylum backlog - Migration Observatory - The Migration Observatory (ox.ac.uk)

1 hour ago, Yellow Fever said:

https://unherd.com/2023/11/sunak-cant-kill-suellaism/?tl_inbound=1&tl_groups[0]=18743&tl_period_type=3

I think I mentioned before that I signed up in the pandemic to Unherd, to give me different perspectives than I usually read. I feel you are right in your brief analysis above (even before I read this article) but the above piece is balanced and raises lots of good points about the right wing factions. It also makes (for me) a much wider point about how our politics has become more 'shouty' and less considerate (ignoring as I will the point one of the commentators makes about our education system, interesting though that is...the need to ask questions, to encourage critical thinking skills is a topic of its own) ...and that differences between people have become magnified so much since the events of 7th October and current war. 

The Tory party as was appears a thing of the past and perhaps, with a slightly more redistributive approach to wealth, the Labour Party under Starmer will start to wear the clothes of former middle ground one nation Tories. There are already moves for a 'new' Conservative party along the lines that Braverman wants to see. That kind of party would be more aligned with the thinking of more right of centre posters on this forum (around protecting values and dilution of a national identity, immigration, and as the writer in Unherd points out, the taking back of control).  I would expect a leadership battle in the coming weeks and months. No wonder folk like Farage are re-emerging. 

Cameron coming in is a desperate move by Sunak. Cameron did help more female MPs in his time as he did with minorities. He brought in same sex laws and a very watered down idea of a Big Society. He was a failure however by gambling on something that led to the uncoupling of the UK from our biggest partner and neighbour. The gamble was a reckless one and typical of the arrogance of someone with his privileged upbringing. His austerity programme was another public policy disaster. As for his morals with the Greensil affair, I'm sure this will continue to rear it's head.

Losing the Rwanda plan in the courts today will be another force to disunite the Tories. Sunak will have to stop the boats another way. More Bibby Stockholms?

We are in for a nasty period in political life in the UK, cutting across class, income, faith etc. The many geopolitical movements across the world are worrying too.

Edited by sonyc
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

They're going to have to invest heavily in more staff and better training to handle the backlog. Number of decisions made per case worker is far lower than it used to be. Could be a matter of lack of training, could also be a matter of more complicated cases.

The UK’s asylum backlog - Migration Observatory - The Migration Observatory (ox.ac.uk)

It's what the hundreds of millions of taxpayer's money completely wasted on this insane scheme should have been invested in in the first place. It was never anything more than a disgraceful Tory populist culture war distraction from an attempt to address a serious problem.

• Like 3