A Load of Squit

New Tory Leader

54 minutes ago, ricardo said:

The News cycle moves on.

For most Ricardo Ukraine and Russia seem a long way away. Same as in the USA. 

Police report on partygate and May elections will still do for Johnson.

I see the EU have already reacted... sanctions.

Edited by Yellow Fever

We'll see. Cummings has said there some decent photos of Boris at parties so they'll hit the front pages at some point.

Is 5+% inflation due to GDP contractions from Brexit or the Bank of England printing money and buying the government Covid debt via Quantitive Easing? Either way the Bank of England base rate is being forced to rise (though we couldn't have zombie rates forever) with another rate rise predicted next month and an expectation that it's be 1.25% by Christmas, so that's mortgages going up.

On top of that there's rising energy prices, rising food prices, and a general cost of living problem.

And if Boris says "he's solved Covid, and it's over now", what does he blame if the gaps on the supermarket shelves persist?

Let’s not forget the 1.25% increase in NI which will be paying for the tens if not hundreds of millions of vaccine that will just be wasted.

1 hour ago, Yellow Fever said:

For most Ricardo Ukraine and Russia seem a long way away. Same as in the USA. 

Police report on partygate and May elections will still do for Johnson.

I see the EU have already reacted... sanctions.

The money is on him surviving but I shall be keeping mine in my pocket.

Time will tell.

You know I'm suddenly thinking how Boris involvement in another Independence referendum will aid/hinder him or it.

Edited by KiwiScot

1 hour ago, ricardo said:

The money is on him surviving but I shall be keeping mine in my pocket.

Time will tell.

I think the letters to the 1922 committee will now have never existed.

But the photos still exist (digital of course, so on several hard drives already) and if he is adjudged to have lied to Parliament, voting with the opposition are as good as letters.

The backbenchers have the fat oaf completely over a barrel now. He can't do anything, especially not in the UK's interest, because of these disaster capitalists. Well done to all of you that voted for this.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

I think the letters to the 1922 committee will now have never existed.

But the photos still exist (digital of course, so on several hard drives already) and if he is adjudged to have lied to Parliament, voting with the opposition are as good as letters.

He has already lied to Parliament. The BYOB party broke the lockdown rules even if he didn't attend, which apparently he has admitted he did. The invitation makes it clear it is was not work-related but the exact opposite - a social event as a thank-you for hard work and as a break from that work:

"Hi all, after what has been an incredibly busy period we thought it would be nice to make the most of the lovely weather and have some socially distanced drinks in the No10 garden this evening. Please join us from 6pm and bring your own booze!"

The 'we' almost certainly means Johnson, since the invitation was issued by his principal private secretary and the location was the No. 10 garden. But even if Johnson didn't initiate the party it appears he knew about it, and didn't stop it. Instead he attended.

It seems his 'excuse' will be that as prime minister it was his work duty to attend even events that were specifically intended to be non-work events. Tory MPs may pretend to swallow that, and claim he didn't lie, but it will never fly with voters. Especially if there are pix of it plainly being a non-work party. And then there will be pix from the ABBA celebration party...

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

He has already lied to Parliament. The BYOB party broke the lockdown rules even if he didn't attend, which apparently he has admitted he did. The invitation makes it clear it is was not work-related but the exact opposite - a social event as a thank-you for hard work and as a break from that work:

"Hi all, after what has been an incredibly busy period we thought it would be nice to make the most of the lovely weather and have some socially distanced drinks in the No10 garden this evening. Please join us from 6pm and bring your own booze!"

The 'we' almost certainly means Johnson, since the invitation was issued by his principal private secretary and the location was the No. 10 garden. But even if Johnson didn't initiate the party it appears he knew about it, and didn't stop it. Instead he attended.

It seems his 'excuse' will be that as prime minister it was his work duty to attend even events that were specifically intended to be non-work events. Tory MPs may pretend to swallow that, and claim he didn't lie, but it will never fly with voters. Especially if there are pix of it plainly being a non-work party. And then there will be pix from the ABBA celebration party...

Agree PP. His credibility at home is wrecked. Partygate and all the other domestic issues (cost of living, tax, Brexit) will sink him. Ukraine is seen as an international issue (although Tory Russian funding and influence may resurface - hardly helpful) and wont distract people from the fools at home.

Even he knows it hence the slightly premature and rushed hullabaloo about removing all Covid restrictions early. It was meant to be a win but will be forgotten by tomorrow. Nothing else left in the tank I'm afraid. No more snake oil left. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Rock The Boat said:

So let's see where we are. 

Brexit done

Covid beaten

Eighty seat majority

Still Prime Minister

I think Mr. Teflon Man is in better shape than most Pinkun posters care to admit. Russian crisis comes along at just the right time for BoJo to appear as a senior statesman and the ratings start to climb in time for the May local elections. EU appears toothless in Ukraine. Biden falls further in opinion polls. Johnson is the standout politician.

He's wriggled free, chaps.

What utter tosh! Brexit is far from done. We haven't even begun to apply all the regulations required of the deal yet, let alone resolve the Brexit issues that are destroying UK trade (see the cross party public accounts committee report). The claim that "Covid is beaten" is just absurdly false. Johnson has not remotely looked statesman-like at any stage in the Ukraine crisis, indeed the Russians have enjoyed ridiculing the UK government's efforts (they openly laughed at Truss and revel in referring to the disaster of Brexit that they themselves claim as a Russian strategic success). Add to that the forthcoming massive tax increases, the forthcoming massive rises in the cost of living, and the forthcoming revelations re partygate etc, and you have to be off your head to claim that Johnson is in good shape. The idea that he is "the standout politician" is so funny one can only assume you need to check the carbon monoxide levels in your home.

1 hour ago, Yellow Fever said:

Agree PP. His credibility at home is wrecked. Partygate and all the other domestic issues (cost of living, tax, Brexit) will sink him. Ukraine is seen as an international issue (although Tory Russian funding and influence may resurface - hardly helpful) and wont distract people from the fools at home.

Even he knows it hence the slightly premature and rushed hullabaloo about removing all Covid restrictions early. It was meant to be a win but will be forgotten by tomorrow. Nothing else left in the tank I'm afraid. No more snake oil left. 

There will be a pseudo-non-party politics pause because of Ukraine, and sadly perhaps even a royal bereavement, but looked at cynically the longer Johnson stays as PM the better for Labour and the LibDems. I suspect there will be a bit of a pause in the leaking of more pix.

At a slight tangent, there was an argument here that Starmer would not actually alter the Brexit deal in his attempt to 'make it work' because he had pledged not to renegotiate it.

Leaving the obvious point that the only way to make it work is by serious renegotiation, recent events have shown how seemingly solemn pledges can be got round. It was not long ago that Starmer ruled out any electoral pact with the LibDems. What do we have now? In effect an electoral pact with the LibDems...

• Like 2

I have everything crossed that Dom is keeping his powder dry and will produce a 'slam dunker' a few days before the local elections which will totally and unequivocally nail the fat oaf.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

and sadly perhaps even a royal bereavement

Noooooo! Not before the Platinum Jubilee bank holidays! If she can survive that, 2022 will be a bumper year for bank holidays.

45 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

There will be a pseudo-non-party politics pause because of Ukraine, and sadly perhaps even a royal bereavement, but looked at cynically the longer Johnson stays as PM the better for Labour and the LibDems. I suspect there will be a bit of a pause in the leaking of more pix.

At a slight tangent, there was an argument here that Starmer would not actually alter the Brexit deal in his attempt to 'make it work' because he had pledged not to renegotiate it.

Leaving the obvious point that the only way to make it work is by serious renegotiation, recent events have shown how seemingly solemn pledges can be got round. It was not long ago that Starmer ruled out any electoral pact with the LibDems. What do we have now? In effect an electoral pact with the LibDems...

I heard him last night but ignored him. Just a worthless gas-bag trying to look statesmanlike.

And I'm somebody who generally tries to look beyond the immediate politics and was middle of the road.. 

I realized I have now zero respect, interest or confidence in him or his worthless party. Just a background irritating noise.

• Like 1

Today he finally had the chance to do the right thing yet he pumps out weak sanctions. Not good enough by far. 

19 minutes ago, Herman said:

Today he finally had the chance to do the right thing yet he pumps out weak sanctions. Not good enough by far. 

They're considering send Vlad a questionnaire. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Herman said:

Fair play to Germany who have stopped the gas pipelines.

Edited by Well b back
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Was pleased to read that WBB, lets hope they can keep the pressure up, if you excuse the expression.😀

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Herman said:

Pathetic but unsurprising.

Must admit I had a good laugh about RTB's nonsense the other day suggesting that Johnson was the 'stand out international stateman' regarding Ukraine when the truth is he has been as useless and embarassing on this as he has been on everything else he has touched since becoming PM - or actually to be more accurate since he became the worse Foreign Secretary this country has ever had.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Yes - That is a huge cost to Germany and probably unexpected so soon by Putin. Of all the sanctions announced so far it will smack home to Putin hardest.

7 minutes ago, Creative Midfielder said:

or actually to be more accurate since he became the worse Foreign Secretary this country has ever had.

It's certainly between him and Raab, but Boris probably just shaves it.

1 hour ago, Creative Midfielder said:

Pathetic but unsurprising.

Must admit I had a good laugh about RTB's nonsense the other day suggesting that Johnson was the 'stand out international stateman' regarding Ukraine when the truth is he has been as useless and embarassing on this as he has been on everything else he has touched since becoming PM - or actually to be more accurate since he became the worse Foreign Secretary this country has ever had.

The New York Times is a very anglophile paper, but in its 23-paragraph story on European sanctions there is just one rather vague paragraph on the potential UK response. All the rest of the story is about the response from EU countries, either individually or as a bloc.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Herman said:

The backbenchers have the fat oaf completely over a barrel now. He can't do anything, especially not in the UK's interest, because of these disaster capitalists. Well done to all of you that voted for this.

You understand this is a parody account, right? Actually, I think you've become a parody of the original Herman, mate.

What, the one with "Parody" written on it?? Next you're going to tell me that isn't Johnson but a cartoon character.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Herman said:

What I find perturbing is that the government has had days if not weeks to game out its responses in all scenarios so why does it appear to have fallen at the first hurdle ?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

What I find perturbing is that the government has had days if not weeks to game out its responses in all scenarios so why does it appear to have fallen at the first hurdle ?

I assume that this government is so compromised by iffy money that this is the strongest they can come up with. Or they are simply cowards.

Needless to say that we are far weaker as a nation than we have ever been.