Sadlerman

McCallum back to Coventry

3 hours ago, Sadlerman said:

Screenshot_20200920-104538_Twitter.jpg

You'd expect two of the three cover options to be first-choice in their own positions, so a Quintilla injury could be doubly disruptive. Seems an odd one, but we'll see if we get punished for the risk.

3 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

Personally, I think this a great move. Not for our football, but it has reignited the Scapegoat of the Season competition, with Rupp getting a lot of abuse purely for being an option at left back. An unexpected boost for him when McLean was head and shoulders above the rest of the field. I’d still say Kenny is leading the pack at the moment though.

Personally I’m not keen on the idea of Rupp at either full back spot. Call it scapegoating if you wish but I’d certainly feel the exact same way if we were talking about Tettey or Skipp.

I’m not sure if there’s anything wrong with believing players should be playing in the positions which suit their qualities, not shoehorned in because they’re passable. Especially in a side which should be aiming for the top 2.

I think it’s fair to say that full back wouldn’t particularly suit any of our defensive midfielders, especially in our system under Farke which is heavily reliant on good attacking full backs.

Based on the Michael Bailey comments it would seem the club agrees as Aarons, Zumba and Gibson were all the preferred choices for covering Quintilla. 

Edited by Hank shoots Skyler

6 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Nonsense. Rupp can cover both sides, Aarons can quite happily play on the left and Godfrey has played both left-back and right back for us. I'm not saying that switching either Godfrey or Aarons is optimal, but we DO have cover. 

What’s games has Rupp played left back in his career?

5 hours ago, hogesar said:

Clearly people on here have watched a lot of McCallum. I only saw a couple of games he had in league one.

Its entirely possible weve seen him close quarters and decided he isn't ready to be second choice left back for us, and for him to develop he needs to be playing right now.

Interesting how many can judge Rupps ability to fill in at full back. From what I've seen he would do a decent job without the attacking flair. 

I gauruntee they’ve seen McCallum play more than you’ve seen Rupp play full back tbf and you’ve made your mind up he’s gonna be a great Lb.

4 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

Personally, I think this a great move. Not for our football, but it has reignited the Scapegoat of the Season competition, with Rupp getting a lot of abuse purely for being an option at left back. An unexpected boost for him when McLean was head and shoulders above the rest of the field. I’d still say Kenny is leading the pack at the moment though.

What an odd post! Rupp is a scapegoat because many fans would prefer a LB that played week in week out for the team that won league to play left back over Rupp. A right sided midfield player? Weird. Also how many games have you watched where Rupp was playing full back?

14 minutes ago, BigGrantsTash said:

I gauruntee they’ve seen McCallum play more than you’ve seen Rupp play full back tbf and you’ve made your mind up he’s gonna be a great Lb.

The answer for a lot of fans will be 0 times so actually on par.

I've seen Rupp play for half a season to judge what attributes he does and doesn't have for how he could fill a position as cover.

4 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I've seen Rupp play for half a season to judge what attributes he does and doesn't have for how he could fill a position as cover.

Hoggy,

Rupp hasn't played a SINGLE competitive game at RB in the last THIRTEEN years, so whilst I can appreciate a personal opinion that you feel he may be able to do a job there (I believe Farke may also have claimed this), there isn't a shred of data or competitive evidence to suggest this.

Does this mean he couldn't potentially do a job there? Of course not, but I really am tired of these sort of suggestions that people who've NEVER played in a position during their entire career are now suddenly good enough to play there for any length of time and be anywhere near as good or reliable as players who HAVE played their career in that role.

By this logic, we should have been using Zimmermann upfront as a target man rather than spending the money on Hugill...

9 minutes ago, hogesar said:

And what you saw told you he would make a great left back? What I’ve seen of both tells me McCallum is a better left back than Rupp a million times over.

1 minute ago, Indy_Bones said:

Hoggy,

Rupp hasn't played a SINGLE competitive game at RB in the last THIRTEEN years, so whilst I can appreciate a personal opinion that you feel he may be able to do a job there (I believe Farke may also have claimed this), there isn't a shred of data or competitive evidence to suggest this.

Does this mean he couldn't potentially do a job there? Of course not, but I really am tired of these sort of suggestions that people who've NEVER played in a position during their entire career are now suddenly good enough to play there for any length of time and be anywhere near as good or reliable as players who HAVE played their career in that role.

By this logic, we should have been using Zimmermann upfront as a target man rather than spending the money on Hugill...

It’s crazy isn’t it. Especially after last season. Injuries meant we were playing players out of position and according to those same fans, that’s why we were losing. Now we’ve left ourselves with one left back but those same fans are saying it’s fine because we have players who can play out of position. 

13 minutes ago, BigGrantsTash said:

And what you saw told you he would make a great left back? What I’ve seen of both tells me McCallum is a better left back than Rupp a million times over.

No. Because I never once said he would make a great left back. Why make things up?

5 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

The two positions you have Placheta and Buendia in wouldn't be that wide. The wing-backs would provide the width and the two supporting Pukki would be much narrower. Dowell, Cantwell and Buendia could all play in those positions quite comfortably.

Exactly. In fact, I'd be inclined to say Placheta would probably be dropped to the bench there if he's not the wing-back, then there's room for quite a few of our midfielders. A more defensively-minded one such as Sorensen for away matches, and a more attacking one like Cantwell or Dowell for home ones.

4 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Which is every bit as worrying as Rupp or Godfrey. Stiepermann didn't exactly shine when he was shoehorned there in the past.

Relying on Quintilla staying fit and at peak performance for 46 games in a shortened season and/or trying to put midfielders or centre backs there would be incredibly risky. 

Don't disagree, just surprised Marco is being overlooked in the list of people who can fill in at left back after doing literally half a season there for us! 

He was better than Husband, although not saying much. 

25 minutes ago, Indy_Bones said:

Hoggy,

We all thought Godfrey was destined for great things in central midfield after his breakthrough season at Shrewsbury, and then Farke stuck him  in defence, and has been obsessed he's got more attributes to make it there, then in midfield (despite majority of fans still feeling midfield will and is his better position)

I don't see Rupp as an attacking midfielder (I'm not really sure what his strengths are), but he seems more at home defending, so could fit in as a more defensive right wing back. We have Mumba as right back up, and Farke always signs players for their versatility, so guess he sees a number of players who could fill in in Xavi gets injured 

3 minutes ago, Samwam27 said:

We all thought Godfrey was destined for great things in central midfield after his breakthrough season at Shrewsbury, and then Farke stuck him  in defence, and has been obsessed he's got more attributes to make it there, then in midfield (despite majority of fans still feeling midfield will and is his better position)

I don't see Rupp as an attacking midfielder (I'm not really sure what his strengths are), but he seems more at home defending, so could fit in as a more defensive right wing back. We have Mumba as right back up, and Farke always signs players for their versatility, so guess he sees a number of players who could fill in in Xavi gets injured 

I think there is a huge difference between moving a defensive midfielder to CB, and moving a defensive midfielder to RB/LB.

A centre back does a lot of similar work to a DM, just as the last line of defence before the goalkeeper. There is a lot of alignment in the key attributes needed across both of these positions. 

Whereas full back is chalk and cheese for a DM. Particularly in our side which is reliant on overlapping full backs with good pace, skill, link up play and a strong final delivery. I don’t think Rupp possesses these qualities. 

14 minutes ago, Samwam27 said:

Godfrey was 20 when he began his transformation into a centre back.

Rupp is 29. 

Ludicrous to think he could be a midfielder his whole career and suddenly transform into a full back. 

5 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Godfrey was 20 when he began his transformation into a centre back.

Rupp is 29. 

Ludicrous to think he could be a midfielder his whole career and suddenly transform into a full back. 

"Ludicrous to think he could be a midfielder his whole career and suddenly transform into a full back. "

I never said that. I said Farke likes players who are versatile and that I feel Rupp's better qualities are of a defensive mind than attacking. And as a wing back, NOT a full back. Read what people say before telling them it's ludicrous

19 minutes ago, Samwam27 said:

"Ludicrous to think he could be a midfielder his whole career and suddenly transform into a full back. "

I never said that. I said Farke likes players who are versatile and that I feel Rupp's better qualities are of a defensive mind than attacking. And as a wing back, NOT a full back. Read what people say before telling them it's ludicrous

Or instead of trying to rationalise everything that ever happens you could just accept that we're going to be without proper cover at left back if we don't bring anybody in. 

Surprised that's not really been considered on here though, that we may be replacing Lewis with a permanent signing and McCallum is still seen as one for the future. 

7 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

We paid £3.5m for him I seem to remember, and also that he was interesting larger clubs at the time (Liverpool?)

It was reported as that by the media then Webber debunked that and said it was nowhere near that even if all add ons and clauses are realised. Then Coventry's local media reported it at just £1.2m but with a 30 percent sell on clause on future profit. 

16 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Or instead of trying to rationalise everything that ever happens you could just accept that we're going to be without proper cover at left back if we don't bring anybody in. 

Surprised that's not really been considered on here though, that we may be replacing Lewis with a permanent signing and McCallum is still seen as one for the future. 

Teemu, not trying to rationalise everything. Just adding to a thread. But to be clear, I'm not a Rupp fan, and dont want him to be playing as a FB. Plus I'm equally perplexed about us having very little cover at LB.

Let's hope there's a plan we don't know about yet (& one that doesn't involve Rupp as cover!!)

• Like 1

We appear to  be so incredibly shrewd in some areas but so naive in others;

I can't go through another season watching a injury hit Byram cover left back, nor is it a good idea to have the best RB in the league playing LB, to be replaced by Bali Mumba.

Us and Coventry certainly see something in this lad, but it seems that at Norwich at the moment he is not thought to be advanced  enough in his development to be the first or second choice. Playing championship football with Coventry will bring him on leaps and bounds and with the safety net of a January recall if we need it then for me being pragmatic it is a win win. Farke would put him in now if he thought he was ready

• Like 1

Full-backs are fundamental to DF's playing philosophy. Perhaps McCallum has asked for this move? Perhaps he isn't at the level required yet? Perhaps there might be another LB incoming before the end of the window? Is this another way to trim down the squad of players who won't get much of a look-in?

It seems risky to let him go now. Quintilla is still finding his feet and will surely be unavailable for a spell or two this season. Still also a question mark or two there at this stage defensively. Aarons may yet move on. Byram can't be relied upon. Mumba is a prospect. Jordan Thomas has gone for the year. Shoehorning Stieps, Rupp, Gibson or Famewo into full-back is asking for trouble. Ok for the last 20/30 mins of a game if in a bind but problematic from the start of a game or for a run of games. An interesting throw of the dice. Hopefully doesn't come back to bite.

Webber has previous for leaving us over loaded in certain areas and then short in others. We saw it last season with the centre backs and I fear it could happen this season with the full backs.

we just about got away with Stiepermann coveting there in Farkes first season. We just about got away with Aaron’s and Byram playing on the wrong side for a few games last season. We didn’t get away with central midfielders covering central defence last season. 

we need two proper left backs in the squad. Loaning our second one out and relying on players out of position covering is not an acceptable situation. 

Another odd decision to send out to a rival club in the league 

You sense this season is going to be a very hard one with some of the daft decisions being made 

20 hours ago, NeymarSmith said:

Really? You thought he would be a ready made replacement for Jamal and quality would be the same from him. Come on, this is what will happen losing the crown jewels

In truth I was basing it off assumption and what I read with regards to Coventry fans opinions of him after he signed, not of evidence really. Certainly didn't think he would be like for like it terms of immediate quality, but sort go thought it would be like Lewis coming in when he first broke onto the scene. 

16 hours ago, Samwam27 said:

The majority of fans think Godfrey should be in midfield? 

What are you sniffing? 

25 minutes ago, Uncle Fred said:

You sense this season is going to be a very hard one with some of the daft decisions being made 

Or.... Just maybe he's disappointed in training and they feel he isn't ready and are right now looking at signing someone. 

To offer an alternative to your ludicrous negative hyperbole. 

24 minutes ago, Uncle Fred said:

Yes, if only you were making the decisions we would be on the road to glory.