cambridgeshire canary

embarrassing loss and sign of things to come or just an unexperenced team minus 15 players ?

16 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

The defence is the worrying part. Sounded like it was as poor as our regular 11-

And lets be honest Zimmerman and Klose letting 2 + 1 in against Luton is a worry.

In fairness, we only conceded once Klose had been taken off and Tettey filled in at CB, we were ok until then. The defending for the goals was very poor though. 

26 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

We had the chance to have played this last weekend when we would have had an extra 14 players available.

We chose that an extra game in Germany and some go-karting was more important..

Yes

The fact this was a second string 11 is irrelevant. Whatever line up is out there, if they have Norwich City shirts on they should be more than capable and well drilled defensively. Unfortunately once again our players weren't. This has been a worrying and continuing trend under Farke's tenure. It should be more than clear by now that's it not the players that are the problem.....

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

So which of those that played today are starting next Saturday then, Tash?

If Lewis is sold I believe McCallum will start. I don’t see Gibson starting Sat, so Klose and Zimmerman will start with Hanley out. Players like Dowell, Tettey and Hugill are very much in Farkes first team plans this season imo. Even if they don’t start every game. 

With playing over 50 games this season and inevitable injuries I believe a few who played today could end up playing several games. 

Think the 11 we had out today was more than enough to beat Luton when you look at the 2 squads. Imo the performance and result was poor. Shame to be out of the cup and we desperately need to break this losing habit. 

Most would expect our starting XI to be something like this:

Krul

Aarons, Godfrey, Gibson, Lewis

Skipp, Sorensen/McLean

Buendia, Cantwell, Hernandez

Pukki

And how many of them played today.............................

We played our reserves, squad players and youth players today, maybe there's a case for Hugill (who joined in the last week or so), but other than that and maybe Zimm if Gibson isn't match ready, we didn't play ANY of our expected first team members, so why are people reacting like it's the next apocalypse???

I couldn't care less about a meaningless cup game where we had pretty much our entire first XI missing and which would have caused even worse fixture congestion just in the hopes it gives fringe players a few minutes here and there.

Just move along chaps, nothing to see here.

• Like 3

Just now, Keith Scott said:

The fact this was a second string 11 is irrelevant. Whatever line up is out there, if they have Norwich City shirts on they should be more than capable and well drilled defensively. Unfortunately once again our players weren't. This has been a worrying and continuing trend under Farke's tenure. It should be more than clear by now that's it not the players that are the problem.....

Where's the new topic, Keith? You're not letting your trolling standards slip, are you?

4 minutes ago, Indy_Bones said:

Krul

Skipp, Sorensen/McLean

Pukki

We played our reserves, squad players and youth players today, maybe there's a case for Hugill (who joined in the last week or so), but other than that and maybe Zimm if Gibson isn't match ready, we didn't play ANY of our expected first team members, so why are people reacting like it's the next apocalypse???

I couldn't care less about a meaningless cup game where we had pretty much our entire first XI missing and which would have caused even worse fixture congestion just in the hopes it gives fringe players a few minutes here and there.

Lewis has all but signed for Newcastle so he certainly won’t be starting and players like Hugill, Dowell, Tettey, Zimmerman ect are all very much in the first team picture. Meaningless cup loss, Yes. But let’s not kid ourselves,  there was enough quality out there today to get a result. 

Edited by Teemu’s right foot

6 minutes ago, BigGrantsTash said:

If Lewis is sold I believe McCallum will start.

Over Quintilla? Don't see that one myself.

6 minutes ago, BigGrantsTash said:

I don’t see Gibson starting Sat, so Klose and Zimmerman will start with Hanley out.

Forgot Ben Godfrey doesn't exist.

Edited by kick it off

8 minutes ago, Indy_Bones said:

Krul

Skipp, Sorensen/McLean

Pukki

Lewis will be gone, Buendia still suspended, keep up

Clearly didn’t want to lose today but nor did we take it particularly seriously (we could easily have moved the fuxture). No one would thank us for any more games (and potential injuries) once the season gets going, losing has a massive silver lining attached. 

Edited by Branston Pickle

1 minute ago, A Load of Squit said:

I sent mine with a stamp addressed envelope in case they win next week.

Always sensible to hedge your bets.😉

39 minutes ago, BigManInTheBarclay said:

Wow! Didn't take long for the keyboard worriers to start.

We had most of out first team on international duty people!

Get a grip!

Absolutely this. 

Not a surprising reaction on this site though.

12 minutes ago, Teemu’s right foot said:

Lewis has all but signed for Newcastle so he certainly won’t be starting and players like Hugill, Dowell, Tettey, Zimmerman ect are all very much in the first team picture. Meaningless cup loss, Yes. But let’s not kid ourselves,  there was enough quality out there today to get a result. 

There was yes, but we arent going to win every game against a team in our own division with 2nd and 3rd string players. If I was a Luton fan I would be seriously worried if we hadn't been highly competitive in that and sure as hell, it was a competitive fixture before the last 10 mins when we were chasing the game. When Tettey dropped back, we had the clubs 6th (possibly 7th if Famewo is included) choice centre back in the heart of defence.

I'm not sure how Luton lined up relative to their strongest line up, but Collins scored 15 last time around and played nearly all their games.

Edited by 1902

9 minutes ago, 1902 said:

Both Bosnia and Switzerland played in the last two days, so I'm not sure we can argue they are current internationals. Also we bought 10 players since. I'm not saying none of them have a role this season, but your post suggested this was anywhere close to the kind of team we would expect to start in the league, which you must agree is unlikely to be the case?

The point I was making with the International’s comment was more to point out their pedigree. They’re experienced players who have been important parts of our promotion from this league just 2 seasons ago. That Luton team was made up of a few championship journeymen and players who until last season had only played at league 1 or 2 level. 

The same people saying these players are no where near the first team are the ones who were desperate for Vrancic to start last year and adamant the reason our defending was poor was because Klose was injured. Now they couldn’t possibly be expected to compete with Luton?

I have no idea what our starting 11 will be next week. I expect a few who started today to start. I expect several who played today will feature throughout the season. Some of those 10 players we’ve signed started today.

Everyone seems so sure the players we’ve signed this summer will be our new starting 11 when they’ve never seen them play and had never heard of them a month ago. 

You don’t think Klose, Zimmerman, Hernandez, Tettey, Hugill and McCallum are first team players? 

44 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

The defence is the worrying part. Sounded like it was as poor as our regular 11-

And lets be honest Zimmerman and Klose letting 2 + 1 in against Luton is a worry.

Klose wasn't in defence for two of the goals.

Shocking overreaction which isn't actually shocking because its our fans.

SEVENTEEN players unavailable for this game against a championship side?

• Like 4

1 minute ago, 1902 said:

There was yes, but we arent going to win every game against a team in our own division with 2nd and 3rd string players. If I was a Luton fan I would be seriously worried if we hadn't been highly competitive in that and sure as hell, it was a competitive fixture before the last 10 mins when we were chasing the game. When Tettey dropped back, we had the clubs 6th (possibly 7th if Famewo is included) choice centre back in the heart if defence.

Agreed. But unfortunately this defeat has come on the back of a long record of defeats. As a one off game it’s meaningless and in all honesty a blessing in disguise that we are out of the cup. The concern I have is that it’s yet another competitive loss, losing has become a habit that we desperately need to break and there was enough quality out there today to do that. On to the proper fixtures and hopefully a turn in our fortunes 

21 minutes ago, BigGrantsTash said:

If Lewis is sold I believe McCallum will start. I don’t see Gibson starting Sat, so Klose and Zimmerman will start with Hanley out. Players like Dowell, Tettey and Hugill are very much in Farkes first team plans this season imo. Even if they don’t start every game. 

With playing over 50 games this season and inevitable injuries I believe a few who played today could end up playing several games. 

Think the 11 we had out today was more than enough to beat Luton when you look at the 2 squads. Imo the performance and result was poor. Shame to be out of the cup and we desperately need to break this losing habit. 

Quintilla is ahead of Mccallum.

Godfrey is ahead of Klose.

Pukki is ahead of Hugill.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hogesar said:

How many Luton players would have started in our team today? “Shocking Overreaction” seriously? Grow up.

Pretty sure a few weeks ago that the concensus on here was that we would be best off out of the cup with such a congested season. Well you got what you wanted but still somehow people are upset 

2 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Klose went off c20 minutes before they scored; they scored with their only shots on target.

The idiotic overreaction from some is just par for the course.  A second string team losing away at an all-but full-strength side from the same division is hardly the world’s most awful result.

1 minute ago, BigGrantsTash said:

How many Luton players would have started in our team today? “Shocking Overreaction” seriously? Grow up.

Yes, by some its an overreaction. The Luton players have played together as a team much more often than our mix match team. I'd like to think you know really its more than just individual quality.

• Like 2

Just now, Branston Pickle said:

Klose went off c20 minutes before they scored; they scored with their only shots on target.

The idiotic overreaction from some is just par for the course.  A second string team losing away at an all-but full-strength side from the same division is hardly the world’s most awful result.

I know but I'm being told to grow up because some kids having a tantrum about it 😅

7 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I was just wondering are all supporters like ours or just our own? Cringeworthy stuff once again. No sense of perspective. 

• Like 1

Just now, hogesar said:

Quintilla is ahead of Mccallum.

Godfrey is ahead of Klose.

Pukki is ahead of Hugill.

What makes you so sure Quintilla ahead of McCallum? The others I can’t disagree with. It only takes a couple of injuries and Hugill and Klose are playing though. They are very much first team players. Would they not get in Luton’s team? How many of theirs would have got into our 11 today?

15 minutes ago, CANARYKING said:

Lewis will be gone, Buendia still suspended, keep up

Until we get confirmation of a deal, Lewis is still our player and still first choice left back until that point.

Yes, I'd missed Buendia's suspension, so I maybe got one selection wrong for next week (although Buendia will be picked as soon as available), with one uncertain.

Would still be our main first XI regardless, and again, NONE of them were playing today.

1 minute ago, BigGrantsTash said:

What makes you so sure Quintilla ahead of McCallum? The others I can’t disagree with. It only takes a couple of injuries and Hugill and Klose are playing though. They are very much first team players. Would they not get in Luton’s team? How many of theirs would have got into our 11 today?