Herman

Nature watch.

Good watching Springwatch last night, was in the area a couple of weeks ago and amazed by the number of Hares seen. Great to watch!

On 18/05/2021 at 13:40, horsefly said:

Hurrah! Spring Watch is coming home:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-57146470

BBC Springwatch: Norfolk to host Chris Packham and Michaela Strachan

The BBC's Springwatch programme is to celebrate the best in British wildlife from a new home in Norfolk.

Presenters Chris Packham and Michaela Strachan will be at Wild Ken Hill, a sustainable farming project in the west of the county, it has been confirmed.

Just remembered. 😳

4 minutes ago, Herman said:

Just remembered. 😳

It looks to be an excellent choice of site.

• Like 1

On 01/10/2020 at 15:38, Wings of a Sparrow said:

Great white egret showing well at Carlton Marshes this morning, that’s another one ticked off my list.

Also Chinese water deer, hobby, kestrel, marsh harrier among the usual suspects.

Water deer get a couple of minutes in the spotlight.👍

• Like 1

2 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

See the Aussies have got one of their Rats and Mice plagues again.

They'll probably demand we include rat and mice meat in the free trade agreement as tariff free faux beef exports.

14 hours ago, horsefly said:

They'll probably demand we include rat and mice meat in the free trade agreement as tariff free faux beef exports.

Minced Mouse? Rat-atouille? Hamster Jam (good for Tulips)

Just recently learned that blackbirds are good mimics and can do a mean police siren. 

A bit of a wow moment for me yesterday as we watched 5 x spoonbills circling on the thermals above Cley NWT nature reserve. It was just after the sun broke out and they gave a stunning view.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

A bit of a wow moment for me yesterday as we watched 5 x spoonbills circling on the thermals above Cley NWT nature reserve. It was just after the sun broke out and they gave a stunning view.

WOW indeed! lucky boy!

• Like 1

Summer must have come...every year (for about 20 years that I know) a group of swifts come and soar over the hillside where we are. Amazing they spend their lives on the wing and travel those thousands of miles to the same neighbourhood in our corner of West Yorkshire!

Edited by sonyc
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, sonyc said:

Summer must have come...every year (for about 20 years that I know) a group of swifts come and soar over the hillside where we are. Amazing they spend their lives on the wing and travel those thousands of miles to the same neighbourhood in our corner of West Yorkshire!

Got three pairs of swifts nesting under tiles in my roof above my bedroom this year . For the past four years it’s just been two pairs , I’m bloody chuffed to have three pairs this year . 
So I’m lucky enough to get screaming parties round the house . They are also now making gorgeous sounds communicating to each other in the nests and as they fly past , so I think eggs are now laid / about to be. Before fledging I get to hear the swiftlets strengthening their muscles by beating their wings in the nest . Then off they go to Africa ! 
Incredible birds . 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Herman said:

Poppy season.

p?i=8473ce1c0cdafc9779845ecc7ea70c63

p?i=e10bedabf39134741566ec9b13c64989

I can raise you a single one plus a Herb Robert taken this afternoon in the garden. We have columbines too growing everywhere!

IMG_20210601_142845.jpg

IMG_20210601_142658.jpg

• Like 1

That little clematis looks rather special too.👍

(I remember planting/seeding the red poppy. Don't know where the yellow ones came from, but like them.)

Yes, there are tons of clematis flowers all over a hedge. Those yellow ones self seed. Loads of them too. Never actually had a manicured garden it's fair to say. Much is quite wild with a few perennials.

You'll be a couple of weeks ahead down south so we've some mountain poppies (Californian or something like that) ... that will arrive in mid June. Massive heads now then they just appear in full bloom almost over night. Two weeks and a windy day and that's them for another year!

• Like 1

On 30/05/2021 at 21:30, Pockthorpe said:

Got three pairs of swifts nesting under tiles in my roof above my bedroom this year . For the past four years it’s just been two pairs , I’m bloody chuffed to have three pairs this year . 
So I’m lucky enough to get screaming parties round the house . They are also now making gorgeous sounds communicating to each other in the nests and as they fly past , so I think eggs are now laid / about to be. Before fledging I get to hear the swiftlets strengthening their muscles by beating their wings in the nest . Then off they go to Africa ! 
Incredible birds . 

They used to nest in their hundreds in the roofs of terrace houses in NR2  but so many properties have been reroofed and the eves blocked that we are seeing fewer swifts every year.

They usually arrive first week in May but were late this year because of the weather. They are indeed wonderful birds and always put on a great show when the screaming parties are racing around the rooftops. For me they are one of the joys of summer.

• Like 1

The dunnnocks have jumped nest. Only two fledged sadly. But the wrens have had a great time. Loads of the little ones are hopping about. I assume there must be a couple of nests. 

• Like 1

On 01/06/2021 at 17:45, Herman said:

That little clematis looks rather special too.

Good spot Herman, a lot of men have trouble identifying that. 🤭🤣

Out walking the dog this afternoon and was followed along the path by a couple of Stonechats (cracking little birds). Also saw a male Wheatear and the Cuckoos and Curlews were in full voice (but not seen).

Apples

• Like 1

On 27/05/2021 at 16:25, Herman said:

Just recently learned that blackbirds are good mimics and can do a mean police siren. 

We had one last year that did the first few notes of the Laurel and Hardy tune. Very odd until you got used to it!

• Haha 1

On 01/06/2021 at 17:36, sonyc said:

I can raise you a single one plus a Herb Robert taken this afternoon in the garden. We have columbines too growing everywhere!

IMG_20210601_142845.jpg

IMG_20210601_142658.jpg

That Herb Robert will be all over your garden in a year or two. Gets absolutely everywhere. 😡

20 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

That Herb Robert will be all over your garden in a year or two. Gets absolutely everywhere. 😡

Already has! Same with the Aquilegias and the poppies. It's fair game for them in our garden as lots of things are allowed to grow wild. But...one good thing is that you get loads of birds visiting.

We’ve been driving down the road this morning and a buzzard has flown level with the car window for a few yards, didn’t half put the wind up the dog ! Beautiful to see one just a few feet away.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Herman said:

Here's a calming picture of a frog.😉

p?i=bdd66e1bb80e2b5d2a7e4a79403a28fa

Sadly, I haven't seen a single frog in any of my three small wildlife ponds. Very worrying.

I was moving some plants about and he jumped out. Scared the beejeebers out of me.😀 With a very damp spring I would expect to see more but only him and one toad so far. No newts.

5 years ago the ponds were full of breeding frogs. Now they are decimated (newts too). Really sad.