Herman

Nature watch.

Cuckoos in the Loch Lomond and Trossachs NP and Flanders Moss NNR, seems to be a stable population returning each year. 👍

Apples

On 27/04/2021 at 15:04, Herman said:

In amongst the annoying starlings flying about the neighbourhood there is one that is pure white. I'm not sure if it's rare or not but it looks cool. 

Had this very tame partial albino blackbird as a daily visitor for 5 years. Still get some of his offspring as visitors with the odd fleck of white (but nothing like him)

20150523_142007.jpg

• Like 2

There was an interesting radio programme on Sunday morning broadcasting the dawn chorus (I think it was called Celtic Dawn) from across radio stations in RoI, NI, Scotland, Wales, IoM, Cornwall and Brittany with a commentary on birdsongs heard. It should be available on BBC Sounds. 👍

Apples

• Thanks 2

On 04/05/2021 at 11:28, Mr Apples said:

There was an interesting radio programme on Sunday morning broadcasting the dawn chorus (I think it was called Celtic Dawn) from across radio stations in RoI, NI, Scotland, Wales, IoM, Cornwall and Brittany with a commentary on birdsongs heard. It should be available on BBC Sounds. 👍

Apples

Sounds really fkn interesting, lol.🤣

• Haha 1

On 04/05/2021 at 11:28, Mr Apples said:

Apples

If you listen very carefully at the beginning you can hear Rock The Boat howling at the pre dawn moon. 😉

• Haha 1

My mate's mate bought a very rare  whinky whanky bird.....It's unique in that every time it whinks it whanks....He had to tell his missus to stop continually throwing dust in its eyes.....

16 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

Two Orca spotted off Porthleven. They never come this far south so there must be something amiss. 

Just read it on the Cornwall live site. Gorgeous animals. 👍

16 minutes ago, Herman said:

If you listen very carefully at the beginning you can hear Rock The Boat howling at the pre dawn moon. 😉

You're daft enough to listen, Hermie. 

43 minutes ago, Herman said:

Well that makes sense, lurking in the bushes is his natural habitat. 🤔 🤣

Apples

• Haha 1

Swifts are back ! Got a couple flying round above my house right now . This makes me very happy . 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Pockthorpe said:

Swifts are back ! Got a couple flying round above my house right now . This makes me very happy . 

Brilliant 

• Like 2

The resident Red Kite at work. This was actually closer than the camera phone shows.

p?i=35f853beffb4b12931ffe2caafb1e66e

Edited by Herman
  • Like 1

On 22/04/2021 at 15:05, Herman said:

Got lapwings dive bombing the field next to me. Odd birds. Buzzards seemed to have disappeared though. 

Buzzards are definitely back. A group of 5 were circling around, chilling. Good to see them again.

• Like 1

Normally just Jackdaws in our garden but this morning there wasvery handsome and proud Crow patrolling the bird table. Even the Robin left him to it.

Hurrah! Spring Watch is coming home:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-57146470

BBC Springwatch: Norfolk to host Chris Packham and Michaela Strachan

The BBC's Springwatch programme is to celebrate the best in British wildlife from a new home in Norfolk.

Presenters Chris Packham and Michaela Strachan will be at Wild Ken Hill, a sustainable farming project in the west of the county, it has been confirmed.

• Like 3

When is the spring going to begin?

Crap weather for Mid May continues after the coldest April since 1922. A few swifts are flying about above the house with scarves and glooves on.

Everyone should leave their car engines running all night to generate a bit of warmth.

On 07/05/2021 at 13:17, Mello Yello said:

My mate's mate bought a very rare  whinky whanky bird.....It's unique in that every time it whinks it whanks....He had to tell his missus to stop continually throwing dust in its eyes.....

Surely, if the dust was going in his eyes ( plural) then he would blink , not wink. Someone didn't think that joke through  properly. 

A dunnocks nest I disturbed. Luckily the birds are not easily scared and came back.

p?i=225692e33c126af9e06101c04c7b8c3d

Edited by Herman
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Herman said:

A dunnocks nest I disturbed. Luckily the birds are not easily scared and came back.

p?i=225692e33c126af9e06101c04c7b8c3d

That's a great picture....those eggs are brilliant and make such a contrast with the rather plain little bird. That said, I think that sparrows generally are often less venerated (is that the right word?) than other garden birds which have brighter plumage. Yet they have fantastic singing voices and when looked at closely they are subtle and beautiful. Easy to confuse sometimes ( House Sparrows and Dunnocks | Big Schools' Birdwatch - The RSPB https://www.rspb.org.uk/fun-and-learning/for-teachers/schools-birdwatch/birds-to-look-out-for/whats-that-bird/house-sparrows-and-dunnocks/ ).

On the subject of little brown birds, on our local moor, the tree pipits are currently very much  about when I'm out walking with Snowy (the hound of my avatar).

• Like 1

👍👍👍

They're tiny, about the size of a Mini-egg. I thought they were the wren's at first but saw the mother flitting about. Can't say I've ever seen a tree pipit. Another one for the list.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Herman said:

👍👍👍

They're tiny, about the size of a Mini-egg. I thought they were the wren's at first but saw the mother flitting about. Can't say I've ever seen a tree pipit. Another one for the list.

Wrens eggs are much smaller and white with small brownish spots.

Amazing what I can still remember from a childhood hobby.

30 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Wrens eggs are much smaller and white with small brownish spots.

Amazing what I can still remember from a childhood hobby.

👍👍

I haven't seen one but I've read that wrens make little ball nests so this one threw me a bit.

1 hour ago, Herman said:

👍👍

I haven't seen one but I've read that wrens make little ball nests so this one threw me a bit.

Yes, and often made of leaves with an entrance at the side like that of Long Tail ****. The male has a very loud song for such a small bird. At this moment there is a Wrens nest in an Ivy covered wall in my neighbour's garden. They must have young as they are in and out every couple of minutes.