Herman

Nature watch.

52 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

Did anyone else think that pockthorpe had a nest of swifts in his panties ? 😉

I’m very, very glad I didn’t say that. That was a close call. 
Note to self , never use the word pantiles again. 

A call out to @SHRIMPER...not heard from you for a while and as a reader of this thread I know you contributed quite a bit before. I wanted to send a message to hope your treatment is going okay. Think you said it started in January/Feb?

I for one miss your posts here but also your dry humour and sometimes playful and cutting posts on other threads.

I'm absolutely sure too I speak on behalf of lots of posters. Anyway, hope you're okay.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, sonyc said:

A call out to @SHRIMPER...not heard from you for a while and as a reader of this thread I know you contributed quite a bit before. I wanted to send a message to hope your treatment is going okay. Think you said it started in January/Feb?

I for one miss your posts here but also your dry humour and sometimes playful and cutting posts on other threads.

I'm absolutely sure too I speak on behalf of lots of posters. Anyway, hope you're okay.

Yep , best wishes Shrimpero. Mrs Wcorkio is starting her treatment on weds...as long as tests on Tuesday go OK.  

2 hours ago, Herman said:

Did @SHRIMPER get back to anyone? I did PM him but nothing.

Maybe @nevermind, neoliberalism has had it may have heard from in on one of the other forums.

Not heard anything H. Must say I've been worried (or would not have posted). It's a small community here relatively but one that I care about as I'm sure others do too. All posters. 

I know how tough his treatment might have been but I keep hoping he pops up soon.

• Like 1

Pedalled out from the City on my Cycle ride yesterday up to and around Old Catton, Spixworth and the Norwich Airport perimeter I spotted 4 common buzzards in a thermal and against a clear blue sky.....I had to stop to watch them.....lovely sight.....

• Like 1

An 11km walk around Haddiscoe and Thurlton Marshes yesterday and spotted a couple of firsts for me, a cuckoo and a bittern, also a very close encounter with a hare, among many others, numerous  Chinese water deer. 
Also red kites, Marsh harriers, buzzards, kestrel, cormorants, lapwing, dunnock, chaffinch and skylark.

• Like 1

On 18/04/2021 at 08:34, Herman said:

Did @SHRIMPER get back to anyone? I did PM him but nothing.

Maybe @nevermind, neoliberalism has had it may have heard from in on one of the other forums.

Sadly I have not heard of Shrimper either, Herman, I hope he is OK and has recovered from whatever he was suffering from. Maybe he.like so many of us, feels that other priorities have taken over that make communicating on daily matters superfluous, not a priority in his life.

• Thanks 1

I wish I had my camera at the golf club. A weasel ran across the fairway and flying above it was a returning swallow. And a Buzzard hovering over the adjacent fairway as there was a dead rabbit on the ground.

Could have got them all in one frame.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

I wish I had my camera at the golf club. A weasel ran across the fairway and flying above it was a returning swallow. And a Buzzard hovering over the adjacent fairway as there was a dead rabbit on the ground.

Could have got them all in one frame.

Sunny but still a bit parky in our neck of the woods. Saturday forecast 8c❄ Coldest April in a century.

No sign of Swallows or House Martins yet. Normally here by mid April.

Meanwhile the Blackbirds have hatched a brood of four in the hedge about 5 feet from my window. Hen sitting, keeping them warm, but male returning every 15 mins with food.

Edited by ricardo
  • Like 1

Got lapwings dive bombing the field next to me. Odd birds. Buzzards seemed to have disappeared though. 

• Like 1

Recently moved up to Essex, back garden backs onto a large horse paddock and we have a lot of trees between the 2. Almost every day I see kites and hawks gliding around looking for food, absolutely incredible to watch.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ricardo said:

Sunny but still a bit parky in our neck of the woods. Saturday forecast 8c❄ Coldest April in a century.

No sign of Swallows or House Martins yet. Normally here by mid April.

Meanwhile the Blackbirds have hatched a brood of four in the hedge about 5 feet from my window. Hen sitting, keeping them warm, but male returning every 15 mins with food.

Wait until the Hen starts her protective singing. Non stop for hours.

Just seen a dead Hen while walking the dog. Looks like a neighbourhood cat has been busy.

Jackdaws pulling the hair off the Corderlines in the garden. Mrs KG keeps giving them horse hair but they want more. Trouble is, I've got rope lights round the trunks. I hope they are accurate.

Had a Stick Insect on the patio a couple of days ago. Cornwall about the only area in UK they can survive the winter. We have privet in the garden and they love it. We let the Grandson's loose about 12 years ago so I assume this is the same family.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Herman said:

Got lapwings dive bombing the field next to me. Odd birds. Buzzards seemed to have disappeared though. 

My resident buzzard (that used to sit in a tree in small woods opposite me) is conspicuous by its absence, although I do see one and both of them up in the air. I suspect they’re busy on the nest.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

My resident buzzard (that used to sit in a tree in small woods opposite me) is conspicuous by its absence, although I do see one and both of them up in the air. I suspect they’re busy on the nest.

Aye, hopefully it is just them staying closer to their nest, which is at the other end of the site. Would be a shame if they had moved on.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Herman said:

Was gutted yesterday to find a small blue **** who had been covering eggs in our camera box dead in the garden, sparrow hawk been hanging around recently, absolutely gutted, been watching her build her nest everyday and laid 10 eggs. Do sparrow hawks kill for sport, her body was intact. Maybe I’m being a bit unfair to the sparrow hawk!!

Edited by Van wink

Well done Biden, Leadership on Climate Change👍......hugely disappointing response from the Chinese

Edited by Van wink

Not sure mate. I thought birds of prey would only kill to eat, unlike cats and foxes.

2 minutes ago, Herman said:

Not sure mate. I thought birds of prey would only kill to eat, unlike cats and foxes.

Yeh so did I, can’t understand why she was just there, maybe laying the eggs and all the energy expended in that leaves them exhausted and they die from natural causes? Gutting though

• Like 1

Got a little Wren setting up home in the works greenhouse again so am hoping he makes it all the way through just because of all the sheer effort (and noise) he has made.

Just now, Herman said:

Got a little Wren setting up home in the works greenhouse again so am hoping he makes it all the way through just because of all the sheer effort (and noise) he has made.

We have Wrens visit our Orange Broom. We think it must be full of insects and they are protected from bigger birds.

My admiration of the little Wren grows the more I learn. Even their Latin name is good.😀

"The male wren builds several nests in his territory; these are called "**** nests" but are never lined until the female chooses one to use. The number of nests on a territory influences the female's choice of mate; she preferentially mates with a male that had constructed numerous nests."

"Wrens are highly polygamous, that is to say a male can have, at any one time, more than one female with an active nest on his territory. An active nest is one in which there are eggs or nestlings. A male has been recorded with four females breeding on his territory."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurasian_wren

First Cuckoo heard yesterday and plenty of Chiffchaffs and Yellowhammers singing away (before the weather went to hell). 

Apples

• Like 4

In amongst the annoying starlings flying about the neighbourhood there is one that is pure white. I'm not sure if it's rare or not but it looks cool. 

1 minute ago, Herman said:

In amongst the annoying starlings flying about the neighbourhood there is one that is pure white. I'm not sure if it's rare or not but it looks cool. 

No murmuration then?

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

No murmuration then?

No, not as yet. It would be nice to see around here though. 

38 minutes ago, Herman said:

Sorry, this is supposed to be a mellow thread but this has angered me. Why would someone do this??

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-56955084

I would imagine the b@stards who did it are egg collectors..

The article doesn't say if the egg was retrieved or not.

I had a go at council workers for cutting back hedging at this time of year yesterday and I'm sure most have noticed the lopping down of perfectly healthy trees across England 😡 The Woodland Trust hang up on you if you dare to question.

On 27/04/2021 at 10:35, Mr Apples said:

First Cuckoo heard yesterday and plenty of Chiffchaffs and Yellowhammers singing away (before the weather went to hell). 

Apples

I haven't heard or seen a cuckoo since 2007 and I regularly walk the North Norfolk/Broadland/Breckland countryside..

April is quite early to hear a cuckoo, where did you hear it?

Edited by Jools