Herman

Nature watch.

My pond is full of frogs in early spring and then they do a good job of hiding up until a bit of rain brings them out to move about a bit. I’ve got at least 10 resident frogs in my goldfish pond and I counted at least 50 in my wildlife pond in early spring. I saw one newt in there the other day, but I know I’ve got more. Tadpoles still doing their thing.

Just now, Wings of a Sparrow said:

My pond is full of frogs in early spring and then they do a good job of hiding up until a bit of rain brings them out to move about a bit. I’ve got at least 10 resident frogs in my goldfish pond and I counted at least 50 in my wildlife pond in early spring. I saw one newt in there the other day, but I know I’ve got more. Tadpoles still doing their thing.

Good to hear. My sister has a big farmhouse pond which has them but mine and my neighbours' ponds are sadly devoid.

1 minute ago, horsefly said:

Good to hear. My sister has a big farmhouse pond which has them but mine and my neighbours' ponds are sadly devoid.

It was a strange spring. I’m surprised they did so well to be fair.

As noted before, one evening these poppies look days away from opening up and then next morning there they are! Massive flower heads.

IMG_20210606_123237.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sonyc said:

As noted before, one evening these poppies look days away from opening up and then next morning there they are! Massive flower heads.

IMG_20210606_123237.jpg

You cultivating opium, Sonyc???

• Haha 1

As this had gone over to page 2 I thought that it’s time to bump it up. 

Ive got a couple of these in my garden

7DC51CF3-E55B-4B47-9A30-55D85A380A4F.jpeg

They turn into these 

51A2ABCC-BC31-4E97-83E8-5BB5D320355D.jpeg

Edited by FenwayFrank
  • Like 1

Just seen a hedgehog in our front communal garden here in NR2. First one I have seen in ages

It's back again.

p?i=16b0684bd980d4acde2ac24eabcc02be

Sorry for the awful photo but this poor old homer has been stuck at my work for days, looking mightily depressed.

p?i=4d44fcb1e53758a20affd7ab8ffcf436

Edited by Herman
Better photo

1 hour ago, Herman said:

It's back again.

p?i=16b0684bd980d4acde2ac24eabcc02be

Sorry for the awful photo but this poor old homer has been stuck at my work for days, looking mightily depressed.

p?i=a6437a5d14116c5a9244bb111651249a

Voted brexit and now realises his error

• Haha 1

No photos unfortunately, it's always a toss up between binoculars and camera...

However, I was lucky enough to have a fine view for a few minutes of the flock of 9 bee-eaters over at Gapton retail Park, Gt Yarmouth on Monday.

That was quite a tick, and an awesome sight.

• Like 1

Had what I think was a peregrine falcon in my garden last night, not sure what it had caught but it was pulling feathers off it.

15 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

Had what I think was a peregrine falcon in my garden last night, not sure what it had caught but it was pulling feathers off it.

Sounds more like sparrowhawk behaviour 🤔

16 minutes ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

Sounds more like sparrowhawk behaviour 🤔

Just googled, yes, think that was it

• Like 2

Early morning, after replenishing all the bird feeders I looked back and saw a Crow, Jackdaw and Magpie all feeding. Only needed a Rook and Raven.

I found this little fella nestling in my undergrowth.

p?i=b6292755c375194c5c2a2bdd7c252613

And this unusual cloud formation the other week.

p?i=246bd243261ae8734eee6a05c6873a92

• Like 5

On 07/07/2021 at 19:03, horsefly said:

snapped this youngster sunbathing a couple of days ago:

IMG_0684aa - Copy.jpg

Hows the albino blackbird getting along?

2 hours ago, Van wink said:

Hows the albino blackbird getting along?

I'm afraid he disappeared about 3 years ago. He'd been around about 5-6 years so lived  pretty much a full span for a blackbird. I still get two or three with white flecks so I assume he enjoyed himself while he was alive. But nothing on his scale of albinism has been around since. 

• Like 1

A wren's chicks have just fledged and flown. A pair of wagtails are still visiting a well filled nest. Seems a bit late to me but I am no expert.

Dog walk a couple of weeks ago. (Only just learnt how to compress a video😜 but lost some definition doing so).... this is an action shot of a red kite being 'bombed' by a jackdaw when the kite got too close to it's nest. Didn't stop chasing it away for a good while.

Edit: the MP4 didn't load so here are two stills (1) Kite appears (2) Kite chased off 😄

1627413322723.jpg

1627413322719.jpg

Edited by sonyc
  • Like 1

Wandering around the garden with my camera it struck me that even a humble and oft despised fly can capture the remarkable beauty and wonder of nature's ability to engineer extraordinary creations:

IMG_0892 (3).JPG

• Like 2

Early this year my boss wanted to grow some artichokes which left me a bit bemused. Then I saw this one flowering in York and understood why. Like a giant thistle but at about 8ft tall rather special.

p?i=5f7a7f39c702cc013df0b66e96f16038

And a hello from the neighbour's cat.😀

p?i=509804240b6afe5b5578ce439dbf188f

• Like 1

Dog walk this morning down the many ginnels round where we live (though there is a bit of a debate whether they should be called snickets in these parts).

So many dry stone walls but the colours are fantastic. No filters with any of these this morning (really overcast day with a light that felt like October not the height of summer).

IMG_20210731_130316.jpg

IMG_20210731_130437.jpg

IMG_20210731_130538.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That, last, moss covered stone wall is glorious. If you could grow it professionally like that you'd make a killing at Chelsea.😀

• Like 2