Herman

Nature watch.

I'm currently working on some shiny, black matting which some dragonflies have mistaken for a pool of water. They are a stunning torquoise blue and quite large so I'm not complaining. Very quick so I can't get any photos. 

Hoverflies are one of my favourite insects. Their ability to remain perfectly stationary mid-air is truely remarkable. Here's a couple of pics from the garden:

IMG_0943a.jpg

IMG_1157b.jpg

• Like 3

In the over 20 years I have worked at my place I had never seen a lizard until today. It was quick as lightning so you'll have to forgive a lack of photos.

• Like 2

On 26/08/2021 at 18:34, Herman said:

In the over 20 years I have worked at my place I had never seen a lizard until today. It was quick as lightning so you'll have to forgive a lack of photos.

Really pleased to hear you've seen one. I used to have several in the garden but haven't seen any for years. Likewise the garden used to teem with frogs and newts. This year 2 frogs is the total. Very worrying!

Used to see lizards in the garden when I was a kid, lift a rock and find one. My brother would pick them up and be left holding just a tail 😁 Haven’t seen one for years though

1 hour ago, horsefly said:

Really pleased to hear you've seen one. I used to have several in the garden but haven't seen any for years. Likewise the garden used to teem with frogs and newts. This year 2 frogs is the total. Very worrying!

Since I made my pond I’ve had one frog that I don’t think is there anymore. Really surprised, I thought they were as common as muck

1 minute ago, FenwayFrank said:

Used to see lizards in the garden when I was a kid, lift a rock and find one. My brother would pick them up and be left holding just a tail 😁 Haven’t seen one for years though

Since I made my pond I’ve had one frog that I don’t think is there anymore. Really surprised, I thought they were as common as muck

Not that many years ago there were times during the breeding season when I couldn't walk into several parts of my garden because of the throngs of frogs enjoying their conjugals. The population has been devastated.

2 minutes ago, horsefly said:

Not that many years ago there were times during the breeding season when I couldn't walk into several parts of my garden because of the throngs of frogs enjoying their conjugals. The population has been devastated.

Any idea why ?

Always been amazed by trees by even more so since I read how they communicate with each other (and across species) in working out between them how much light to take, sharing water in dry seasons, helping trees in trouble. There must be a metaphor in this somewhere!

This photo is one from the dog walk this week. Those roots, where exposed, seem to spread for 10, even 20 metres in places. New life right there and wonder whether it survives in 12 months time.

Screenshot_2021-08-19-12-53-25-451_com_miui.gallery.thumb.jpg.a687415edd3dca0b88327e2340a71a7e.jpg

• Like 1

Talking of trees, it's still August but some of the cherries heading out of town are turning already. Autumn has come a bit early methinks.

2 hours ago, Herman said:

Talking of trees, it's still August but some of the cherries heading out of town are turning already. Autumn has come a bit early methinks.

More evidence, no doubt, of the impact of climate change. All of nature is composed of what are, in effect, stimulus response mechanisms, and such responses indicate a change in the stimuli causing them. 

4 hours ago, horsefly said:

More evidence, no doubt, of the impact of climate change. All of nature is composed of what are, in effect, stimulus response mechanisms, and such responses indicate a change in the stimuli causing them. 

When I started hearing about climate change I tried not to dismiss it out of hand, like many have done, as the changes in the seasons and weather in general, although subtle,have been noticeable to someone that works outdoors.

• Like 1

Winter has rolled into Autumn with a bit of summer in July. The odd thing is that even without much sun, our produce has grown rather well, very clean and pests like spider mite have been pretty much non-existent. Lots and lots of slugs though.

We've had some Fieldfares arriving along with some geese, must be here for the weather as unusually it's been mid-20's for the last couple of days. It's also been the warmest and driest summer on record for West-central Scotland. 😱 😎

Apples

• Like 2

This is what I love about nature, after 20 years you’d think it would be a fair assumption to say that lizards aren’t present at your location of work, but then you get a surprise! For those that have mentioned that they don’t see lizards in their gardens like they used to, unfortunately the rise in numbers of the domestic moggy has done the population of native reptiles no favours sadly. And our native amphibians have seen massive declines due to a variety of factors, and not only due to such issues as the use of garden pesticides, fungicides, and a tendency to build fish friendly ponds etc, but Chytrid, Ranavirus, and Bsal are 3 such deadly diseases that are today causing complete havoc sadly, and decimating populations throughout Europe and throughout the world. It’s very worrying indeed. 

• Thanks 1

The farmer next door is churning his field. There are quite literally dozens of Kites and Buzzards mooching about waiting for an easy feed. Quite a sight. 

On a walk between Berney Arms and Reedham last week, saw a lovely grass snake for the first time in years, and bearded ****, which stayed still long enough for some great views in the sunshine.

T1TS for the element of doubt.

Edited by Wings of a Sparrow
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

On a walk between Berney Arms and Reedham last week, saw a lovely grass snake for the first time in years, and bearded ****, which stayed still long enough for some great views in the sunshine.

T1TS for the element of doubt.

😂

It wasn't Bill Oddie then?!

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

Daisy enjoying a nap on the way back from SWT Carlton Marshes on Wednesday.

IMG_20210929_133039247.jpg

Can she drive an HGV?

• Haha 1

A battle of the skies today, the ravens versus the gulls. Not sure what they were fighting about but it was an interesting sight.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Herman said:

A battle of the skies today, the ravens versus the gulls. Not sure what they were fighting about but it was an interesting sight.

Wow! You have ravens 👍

I think they were ravens. Too small to be crows but from the same family. Feisty little things whatever they were. 

Judging their size descriptions that sounds more likely. I didn't realise ravens were bigger than crows so I clearly haven't seen one of them.😳👍

10 minutes ago, Herman said:

Judging their size descriptions that sounds more likely. I didn't realise ravens were bigger than crows so I clearly haven't seen one of them.😳👍

I frequently forget the difference between the different types of crow. Large flocks in Norfolk are usually Rooks (whitish beak) and often have a Jackdaws mixed in with them (grey head). Carrion crows (black beak) are common in Norfolk too but are usually solitary or in twos or threes. Ravens would be a rare sight in Norfolk but there certainly are cases, but you would soon know if you saw one given their much larger size.

Definitely Rooks or Jackdaws. There seems to be a larger amount around this year, a great breeding season. There is a flock hanging around my street so I will try and get a good look at them.