Herman

Nature watch.

Never seen so many swans in one place along the Wensum between the football ground and Foundry Bridge, 30 or more in the same place at the same time.   Very few cygnets, but some pairs had two broods last year.  

Also seems to be a very good year for fungi.

21 minutes ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

Thankfully the bird was seen over Beachy Head attempting to cross over to France earlier today. Hopefully he has made it.

I saw this earlier. There is a longer version on the Mail's website if you want to see it.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8838273/Plucky-magpie-tries-chase-away-bearded-vulture-massive-bird-just-ignores-it.html

Heard on the Today programme this morning. I'm guessing a lot of you like a country walk so this may be for you. Slow ways are looking for volunteers to check out maps the are producing for slower, more scenic routes around the country. 

https://slowways.uk/

Edited by Herman
added link
  • Like 1

Now it appears Vigo the vulture has gone home what unusual creature would you like to see next? I reckon a Bear just wandering round Norwich would be cool. That gets my vote!

1 hour ago, The Raptor said:

Now it appears Vigo the vulture has gone home what unusual creature would you like to see next? I reckon a Bear just wandering round Norwich would be cool. That gets my vote!

Eurasian Lynx?

Have a look at the BBC local news Norfolk site - first sighting of the Rufous Bush Chat in the UK for over 40 years at Stiffkey.  Even rarer than the Lesser Spotted Cantwell!   The place is swarming with twitchers - social distancing, I don't think so!  Good on em!  

I was out on a mates boat last weekend, sunday, flat calm and weak tides, not ideal for Bass Angling ,  lack of Silver beauties  was made up for by literally dozens of Dolphins and Minke Whales, breaching all around us for well over an hour. Baitballs of Spratt were breaking the surface in regular intervals, then to top it all a Bluefin Tuna leapt out of the water only 30 metres away, all while I eat sausages, scrambled egg and  fried new spuds drinking a cup of Tea. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

I was out on a mates boat last weekend, sunday, flat calm and weak tides, not ideal for Bass Angling ,  lack of Silver beauties  was made up for by literally dozens of Dolphins and Minke Whales, breaching all around us for well over an hour. Baitballs of Spratt were breaking the surface in regular intervals, then to top it all a Bluefin Tuna leapt out of the water only 30 metres away, all while I eat sausages, scrambled egg and  fried new spuds drinking a cup of Tea. 

Not on Wroxham Broad then?😁

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Not on Wroxham Broad then?😁

Neatishead Shoals as it happens.

No , about a mile offshore, maybe a bit less, south of Union Hall in the Peoples Republic of Cork. Best bit was that  lots of Tourist packed Whale watching boats tore  past us several times looking for sightings, they should have switched off the engines and sat tight...let nature  come to them.  I see many otters, kingfisher, dippers  etc when I'm I'm Angling  on the local Spate River, The Ilen, by just keeping quiet and still.

• Like 1

Another one for Herman. Not one of my pictures Herm but I still get out with the Nikon now and again. This one was taken at Snetts a few days ago. Fascinating watching them do their stuff.

Ek8A7K0UcAIv1GU.jpg

• Thanks 1

It's even in the shape of a bird. 😃

Are there any raptors waiting to pick them off or are they free and easy to do their display? 

How do you get rid of pigeons from a shed without resorting to extreme violence? They've found a nice spot to build an ever increasing family but they are filthy. 

3 minutes ago, Herman said:

How do you get rid of pigeons from a shed without resorting to extreme violence? They've found a nice spot to build an ever increasing family but they are filthy. 

Cats are quite helpful 😀. This device might do the trick.

https://pigeon-deterrent.co.uk/?gclid=CjwKCAjw_sn8BRBrEiwAnUGJDurURhFT69-Nyd-AQGftn5BfiIR1dwZti2cCUMwd_DjZYm9f6y_ZARoC4uEQAvD_BwE

12 minutes ago, Herman said:

It's even in the shape of a bird. 😃

Are there any raptors waiting to pick them off or are they free and easy to do their display? 

Pair of Perigrins are always in the area and I think they inhabit the Hunstanton area. Do not know if they are the same pair that take up residence on the old pier amusment arcade from time to time.

A massive rat run in front of me earlier when I was out running. Looked like it was at least a foot long. Scared the hell out of me!

One for Herman. I took this off the coast of China just before the Olympics were held there. Sunset on the Sea of China.

Wiik0zO.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks Herman. Its a great sight to see. We had planed to go to Denmark earlier this year but covid (and other things got in the way). I worked with some Danes in 2000 in France and they were the best bunch of guys I have ever worked with. They had a great hatred of the Germans and as we were working with the German military there was a few tricky moments. We were also working with the French forces including the Legion who were also great guys. One of the legion guys came from leeds and was a leeds united supporter. Funny story.... The Spanish guys would not drink French wine and the French and the Italians would not drink Spanish wine. They each, eccept the French had their own wine brought in by the truck load. Happy days.  

This time last Sunday I was walking through Felbrigg Great woods when I spotted what appeared to be a Toucan in the distance --- As I got closer I realised it was a Blackbird eating a banana.

Five  White tailed Sea Eagles have hatched , fledged  and made it through to mid November this year in Ireland, the closest one to me is in a place called Glengarriff and is doing very well, has been spotted feeding many times lately. 

• Like 3